shape
carat
color
clarity

Help, Laptop for $1k or under

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anyone have any suggestions on an all purpose laptop for approx $1,000 or less? Which do you like and why? TIA
35.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stephi, I'm going to be going down this road soon so I am interested to see what this thread brings. There are several at Costco right now, all of which the HH assures me would do what I need (really I just need to be able to connect to the internet and use Word and Excel, so maybe your needs are more sophisticated than mine?) and I'll be checking those out next time I'm there. Will let you know what I find if you're still looking by then.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2007 9:02:14 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Stephi, I'm going to be going down this road soon so I am interested to see what this thread brings. There are several at Costco right now, all of which the HH assures me would do what I need (really I just need to be able to connect to the internet and use Word and Excel, so maybe your needs are more sophisticated than mine?) and I'll be checking those out next time I'm there. Will let you know what I find if you're still looking by then.
Dee I went today to check them out at Costco and all the laptops were under $1,200 so that is great! I just had too many choices; I might take hubby w/me to get some of his thoughts. I notice all of them were HP's except one and I can't remember what it was. I just want something pretty basic like you. Hopefully others will chime in; thanks Dee
35.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a mac and I love it. I''m pretty sure you can get the ibooks for under 1K, but don''t know if you need all that goes with a PC.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both my kids have Macs. I love my Toshiba, just bought a new one so I can have one for each house. HP''s are great too. The one I would stay away from is the Sony VIAO. Both kids had problems with them. Many people like them, but am giving you our experience.
2.gif

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I also had a ton of problems with my Sony Viao. I now have a Dell Inspiron 640m and I love it. Plus it was under $700! If you check out Dell, compare their prices w/ their regular site and their "business" site. I went through business and it was about $ 50 or 75 cheaper.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2007 12:02:09 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Date: 10/19/2007 9:18:42 PM

Author: mrssalvo

I have a mac and I love it. I''m pretty sure you can get the ibooks for under 1K, but don''t know if you need all that goes with a PC.

My daughter loooves her mac too. While Windows is less than user friendly (I personally love the blue screen of death) I still need to be able to use Windows for work stuff..
20.gif
so.. would need something like that on the much wished for laptop that I''ll never see. LOL
They do have software available for Macs that will run Windows... you can even switch OS without rebooting. I LOVE Macs! But I don''t have one *sniffle* yet.

There is a MacBook starting at $1099.
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
80GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm

There are quite a few around that price that are pretty decent for the average user. Many places also offer the option of buying refurbished.

You can search C-Net by narrowing price, maker, screen size, etc. and then read the reviews. I''ve really found this site helpful and use it a lot.

I would prefer the Mac, myself... better graphics and less crashes.
For a non-Mac... typically the Sony Vaio is nice but seems overpriced. But in this pricerange, I really don''t think the Sony is any better than an HP at the same cost... though they look pretty cool
41.gif
...I would probably go with a Sony or HP and it would come down to the exact specs- which I could get the most for my money with to do what I wanted it to do.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the mac!!! These days almost all software companies have programs that will also run on a mac. And for those that don't, you can actually get a program called parallels for the mac that will allow you to run any windows program at the same time. And you can run paralells and your regular mac together, so it is almost like having two computers in one!!!

Plus they are very user friendly and have great features, come with a ton of included software, and don't really crash ever! Plus no viruses! But that is JMHO...

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
mac mac mac!!
or mac book... i should say.

i love them. i will never buy a pc again. there, i said it
3.gif
3.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2007 12:11:29 AM
Author: Kaleigh
Both my kids have Macs. I love my Toshiba, just bought a new one so I can have one for each house. HP''s are great too. The one I would stay away from is the Sony VIAO. Both kids had problems with them. Many people like them, but am giving you our experience.
2.gif
I usually recommend Toshiba they had some problems like everyone did a few years ago but they have improved a lot.
Avoid Sony and dell.
We had a stack of dells at the last place I worked that had bad motherboards, all under warranty and dell would not give an rma/warranty repair number so they could be returned for repair.
We spent over a 100 hours trying to get them too fix them.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2007 12:11:29 AM
Author: Kaleigh
2.gif
Lisa, which Toshiba do you have??? Which model? Thanks so much!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would love a mac but the cheapest one has a tiny screen; I would enjoy a bigger screen and the mac w/a bigger screen is $3k. Thank you for your input; I always hear people love their macs too!

That is also good to know on the Sony; I think that is the other brand I saw at Costco.

I will check into HP and Dell. I use to have a Dell and it had a few issues and a few coworkers (ETA: Laptops) crashed so I am not to sure on them.

Thanks again
35.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Skippy,

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 and I love it. I bought it 2 years ago and I haven''t had any problems with it. I had an iMac before and finally decided that I wanted a laptop instead of a bulky computer. It was such an easy process going through Dell -- I just called them up and told them what I was looking for (the basics -- Word, Excel, and the Internet). I''d recommend them. My mom, sister, and BIL have iBooks and they love them. I was looking into them but I couldn''t justify spending the extra money. Again, this was 2 years ago so I''m sure prices and deals, etc. have changed somewhat since then.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2007 10:49:36 AM
Author: neatfreak
Another vote for the mac!!! These days almost all software companies have programs that will also run on a mac. And for those that don''t, you can actually get a program called parallels for the mac that will allow you to run any windows program at the same time. And you can run paralells and your regular mac together, so it is almost like having two computers in one!!!

Plus they are very user friendly and have great features, come with a ton of included software, and don''t really crash ever! Plus no viruses! But that is JMHO...
Yup!

You can even get MS Office for Mac! So you have the option of going with Mac version software or running a Parallel (Mac and Win OS) and having either Mac or Win versions.

I have an HP desktop that I rushed out and bought when my custom built pc crashed when I had a HUGE assignment due!!!... I''m actually pretty happy it even though I thought I wouldn''t be. I just added 1G of RAM (I wouldn''t get a laptop with anything less than 1G and personally, I would look for 2G) So, I may stick with HP to buy a temp HP laptop ~$1500 or so until I switch can over to those $3000+ MacBook Pros and a Mac desktop.

OH... another reason for Mac... they cross-platform better-- meaning you can open Windows files better on a Mac than a PC can open a Mac file.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE my imac. Our neighbor is a head of IT in a VERY large, national company and he just bought two macs. The fact that he switched says A LOT and finally got DH off my back. He used to love to make fun of me for loving macs. Now....well maybe one day he will convert too
11.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
You all are making me want a MAC; the one I like is $2,000 and it is 15.4 inch screen. Gosh, I don't know
20.gif
; hubby said I could get one but I didn't want too spend that much. Hmmmm....

Is it really that much better than HP or Toshiba???
33.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy here is the way I look at macs (I have been a user since the mac plus in 1986). I have had my imac for 5 years (still works great). my ibook for I think 2 years also no problems. DH has had nothing but problems with his PCs. So yes, they are cheaper but he has put way more money into them than I have to my macs. They are EASY to use. And I don''t know any programs you cannot use (though maybe there are some
33.gif
)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2007 12:19:00 PM
Author: Skippy123
I would love a mac but the cheapest one has a tiny screen; I would enjoy a bigger screen and the mac w/a bigger screen is $3k. Thank you for your input; I always hear people love their macs too!

That is also good to know on the Sony; I think that is the other brand I saw at Costco.

I will check into HP and Dell. I use to have a Dell and it had a few issues and a few coworkers (ETA: Laptops) crashed so I am not to sure on them.

Thanks again
35.gif

Skip, are you going to carry it around? If so, the cheaper PC''s with bigger screens are HUGE and heavy, just something to consider. Macs are very lightweight and easy to carry, which is another reason I love them considering I lug mine around all the time.

Also, have you checked out the screen sizes in person? 17" is HUUUUUUUUGE (which I assume is the one you were looking at). My friend has a 17" Dell screen and he basically refuses to bring it anywhere because it is such a mother of a machine. In comparison, the 17" macbook, although more expensive, is quite a bit smaller and easier to carry even in that size. My 13" screen is pretty darn big for a laptop screen even though it doesn''t seem it...

Just some more food for thought! Make sure you go to stores and check them all out in person and see how big and heavy they are.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2007 4:56:17 PM
Author: Skippy123
You all are making me want a MAC; the one I like is $2,000 and it is 15.4 inch screen. Gosh, I don''t know
20.gif
; hubby said I could get one but I didn''t want too spend that much. Hmmmm....

Is it really that much better than HP or Toshiba???
33.gif
$$$ for $$$ no its the same kind of hardware just lesser speed for the cash.
OSX does rock in a lot of ways but doesnt make up the cost difference.
also get xp pro instead of vista home if you can.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neatfreak, I want a 15.4 inch screen and the HP's run about $800-$1,000. I don't plan too do anything fancy. I just want to run some software on it. I only plan to use it at home. I looked at the laptops today at Staples and Costco and they look fine to me. I liked the HP w/2GB RAM. I might want to watch a movie on it but I don't plan to use it while traveling.
The Imac's look cool and the one I am considering is this one http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/9314000/wo/aNSytkXUi4Tk2ALkOLa1jDbsUDh/2.?p=0 maybe but I don't like the $2K price. btw: great wedding photos!!!

Storm do you think I would be okay w/an HP??? I don't plan to run a business off it; I just want something basic. See what I wrote up top to Neatfreak if you don't mind.

Thanks for all your thoughts.
12.gif
I plan to make my purchase at the end of the week; I will be thinking about all your good advice. Thanks again.
35.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy, we have a Toshiba and it is really sturdy and we''ve never had a bit of trouble with it. I had it as my laptop for awhile but found it too big and heavy for my lap so my husband has it now. We got me a Dell Inspiron and every time I use my husband''s Toshiba I wish it was mine again. They have a light weight Toshiba out now that has a wide screen and I think it''s usually around a $1000. I don''t know the model but I see it at places like Circuit City and Office Depot. They are made really well (my hubby and the other computer geeks at work like them). The next time I need a laptop that is the first one I''m going to look at. My husband doesn''t like the AMD processors. Have fun shopping!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Regarding those 17" screens... like was mentioned, they are big! and that typically means heavy unless you get a super light one that compensates for it. And really, the smaller screens are usually good enough unless you are needing the extra size for graphics and multi-tasking (which it doesn't seem like you are needing) like having half the Adobe Suite open at once or something.

And if you don't mind a 12.1" screen... this has a touch screen! oooohhhhh aaaaahhhhh! I wanna touch screen! I love it on my phone!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just adding to the mix here...I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1505 last December for less than $1500...I''ve had it almost a year and have had no probs. It came with a free all in one printer/scanner/fax which we already had so we are saving the new one for a backup or will use it when we convert the 2nd BR to an office before the new year. It came with a ton of other freebies but I also purchased it through my last company and got a ton of discounts etc. so I won''t say what else I got with it, but I think they usually throw in something free no matter where you are buying it from. Good luck miss Skippy!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
What a timely thread, Skippy! My laptop bit the dust about a month ago, and I''ve been slacking on getting a new one. I''m SUPER cheap when it comes buying a new one, and want to spend no more than $700. I''m holding out for a DEAL!

We have a slick, new-ish desktop up in our home office that we REALLY rely on. My laptop is kept downstairs so we can have internet access in the kitchen (recipes!), and to surf while watching TV. I also have my itunes and photo library on it, but that''s it- no other software. So my needs are very basic. I''ll probably go with Dell again, ''cause it''s just so easy to order and customize with only the stuff I want. Plus, I want to stick with windows XP, as I''ve heard so-so things about Vista and i know you can do this with certain Dell models. Almost all other new laptops already have Vista
14.gif

Anyway, check out this site: http://www.notebookreview.com/ . Lots of great info- hope it helps!

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
I run all Dells at home. I have 3 laptops right now, all working fantastically, two running XP and one Linux. I''ve had hard drives go (not Dell''s fault) and fan assemblies that ran loudly (I replace ''em myself) but besides that, no problems. Like Strm said, go XP all the way if you can get it, Vista''s bug-tastic and not much of an improvement. Stay clear of Sony, they''re a stereo/TV manufacturer who should''ve stayed in that sector. I kinda feel the same way about Toshiba but I guess others have had better experiences with them. Plus you can get a pretty schmancy Dell for cheap.

Or go Mac if you must. Though, I don''t believe the hype.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 12:27:26 PM
Author: ChargerGrrl

Anyway, check out this site: http://www.notebookreview.com/ . Lots of great info- hope it helps!
Thanks for everyone''s input. Today I went to Comp USA and looked at the Toshibas, HP, Sony, IMac, and Think Pads.

I ended up liking the HP''s and ThinkPad so I probably will end up with one of those. The Imac''s look nice but I didn''t think they were for me; plus buying windows was expensive. Thanks for all your advice and when I buy my laptop I will let you know what I get and if I like it. I will probably get the 15.4 inch screen. Thanks again
35.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
*whispers... HP*
2.gif

Whichever one you get... I would strongly suggest getting 2GB RAM (if it has 1GB it may not be a deal breaker for average use, but personally I would not purchase it with only 1GB)... on the wireless, be sure it also has the "N" wireless (it''s the newer/faster net connection)... the computer will be faster with 2 processors which seems pretty standard in the newer laptops (Intel processors will say "Dual" and AMD will say "x2").

Good luck... hope you enjoy your new purchase!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
HP unless you go too the business line aren''t as well built as the Toshiba or IBM are.
IBM laptop division is now owned by a Chinese company.
Nothing much has really changed because they have been making them for IBM.
For home use Id go Toshiba.
With windows xp 1GB ram is fine but vista(puke) needs 2GB min.
The biggest problem is that most 1k laptops are minimal for running vista but well suited for what xp needs hardware speed wise.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2007 9:10:14 PM
Author: strmrdr
HP unless you go too the business line aren''t as well built as the Toshiba or IBM are.
IBM laptop division is now owned by a Chinese company.
Nothing much has really changed because they have been making them for IBM.
For home use Id go Toshiba.
With windows xp 1GB ram is fine but vista(puke) needs 2GB min.
The biggest problem is that most 1k laptops are minimal for running vista but well suited for what xp needs hardware speed wise.
Storm, are you saying to go only HP if it isn''t the business line??? Are you saying the thinkpad is fine? Sorry.

Sera, that is cute that you whisper. Your whisper might work. hehee

I will get the 2GB. I can uninstall vista and install xp, right? TIA

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well this thread has become even MORE timely since as of this morning my entire area is experiencing an AT&T internet service outage. If I had a laptop with wireless access at least I could have gone to Caribou; instead I had to trot over to one of my company's offices to run a 2 minute search for someone, but it had to be done. Argh! I already told the HH that we're going to Costco TONIGHT to get a computer because I can't take the chance of this happening again. I don't know WHAT I'm getting, but I'm walking out of there with SOMTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results