shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Is the Tiffany Ring Worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would recommend doing a search on here for any vendor you want to use and read the raves and the rants.

For Blue Nile search for Blue Nile or BN
For Brian Gavin search for Brian Gavin or BGD
For Engagement Rings Direct search for that or ERD
For Whiteflash search for that or WF
For Good old Gold search for that (as one word or three) or GOG.

It''s best if you read the reviews and form your own impressions. Ours may be tainted by our own personal thoughts/experiences.

If you want any of us to speak to our personal experiences about any vendors, just ask for that, but realize it will be one person''s opinion/experiences.

I have not worked for Blue Nile so I can''t comment on their settings or anything else by them.
1.gif

slidelljake

Rough_Rock
Anyone know what happened to the http://www.briangavindiamonds.com website?

I went to show my girlfriend the website and I keep getting "Safari Can''t Find The Server" messages. I''m not sure if its a Mac problem or not.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a Novo on Ebay priced at $5695 but it is just over half a carat. Pretty though and the Real Deal!

Novo

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Watch out on that auction though b/c the seller won''t accept returns and that''s a big issue.

You should at least ask for a window to get the diamond inspected by T to make sure it''s theirs (serial # on star facet) and corresponds to the paperwork (serial #''s inside ring & on documentation match).

FWIW Novos have been popping up here and there for sale.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
dbl post

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/20/2009 10:46:42 PM
Author: slidelljake
Anyone know what happened to the http://www.briangavindiamonds.com website?

I went to show my girlfriend the website and I keep getting ''Safari Can''t Find The Server'' messages. I''m not sure if its a Mac problem or not.
It''s not working for me either, I have safari.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
33.gif
Not a Mac user. :(

They are closed on Friday evening through Saturday. But maybe call them on Sunday and ask them why it''s not working? 1-866-611-4465

You can try www.brianthecutter.com as well, I guess.

No clue otherwise. Sorry. Maybe Storm knows something... he''s good with computers.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2009 1:41:12 AM
Author: Gypsy

33.gif
Not a Mac user. :(

They are closed on Friday evening through Saturday. But maybe call them on Sunday and ask them why it''s not working? 1-866-611-4465

You can try www.brianthecutter.com as well, I guess.

No clue otherwise. Sorry. Maybe Storm knows something... he''s good with computers.
Site is down period nothing we can do on the client side.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 2:10:50 PM

1) Tiffany Novo (Blue Box, SI1(which may be eye clean), no guarantee on optical performance and the same general facet as square cushion HA) 12K.
2) Square Cushion HA from GOG 1.08 VVS1 + Pave Band like Tiffany Novo Setting = Under 10k (Guaranteed Hearts and Arrows(proven by ASET, IS and Hearts Viewer, similar setting, guaranteed ) Under $10000.
3) Modern Cushion 8 Main Brilliant + Pave band like Novo Setting ($7000 - 8000) from WF or ERD.
4) WF ACA Round 1.11Ct I VS1 with Legato Micropave Setting (Perfect Hearts and Arrows as well, and reflector tests shown) (Under 7500 with PS discount).

Take your pick OP.
Yeah CCL.... I don't think those are all the options. As many have mentioned ERD has produced some amazing cushions and carries a Novo type setting so do some other vendors, including BGD. So... while those may be the options IN YOUR OPINION... they way you've stated it is slightly misleading. There are many options for Jake, and he shouldn't feel restricted by even those offered on this thread. For example if he does decide on a round, HPD and Dimend Scassi might be vendors to add to the list of those for him to explore as they are Infinity vendors.

The best advice I can offer is to reach A) decide if you want a cushion or a round. B) THEN, call up the vendors recommended on here and ask them to propose something in your budget for you that meets your criteria (Novo style setting and one carat stone of ___ shape). Make sure you compare the vendor's policies related to buy backs, upgrades, etc before you make a decision. As well their return policy.

As for re-sell. I agree Kenny, the slight bump in resell value doesn't make up for the initial markup in my book either.

Lisa, call up a couple of different stores and talk to sales floor managers and tell them you want accurate information. Sometimes, an SA (or an enitre branch) can have incorrect or misleading information. Just because the facet pattern isn't one carried by many other vendors doesn't mean it's a patented proprietary cut. There are some shades of gray in there and your SA or branch may not understand the differences in the shades.
Gypsy,

That was a comparison of prices and options for the NOVO LOOK which seemed to be OPs GF's original preference.

Here is my blunt opinion:

1) Tiffany's is overpriced and has quality control issues and are not perfect HA. Major waste of $$$ for someone who is budget conscious.

2) Square Cushion HA from GOG, is badly overpriced as well not the fault of GOG but of the cutter. These also look too much like rounds, again Major waste of $$$.

3) Modern Cushion 8 Main Brilliants are priced well and any PS vendor can probably pull them in as they are virtual stones in most cases. ERD and WF seem to have the best prices I have seen on these BETTER THAN BN for my diamond and others. Don't expect perfect HAs or ideal light performance, or edge to edge brilliance, but the well cut ones have a very modern look with nice bright arrows. For those who want a really square looking stone LIKE THE NOVO, this is a real budget conscious contender and my preference of all of these options.

4) BGD Rounds or WF ACAs are extremely popular and if you want a round get one of these, the light performance is excellent. I would only consider this if you really want the hearts and arrows and want a round not a cushion.

5) BGD Signature modern cushions aren't ready for production yet. They don't come in OPs colour range, we still haven't gotten a video about them, likely don't have edge to edge brilliance, but are going to be nice bright stones when finally being offered to consumers. For those who want a VERY DIFFERENT LOOK FROM THE NOVO and want a nice square cushion these are something to look for IN THE FUTURE.

6) Antique cushions like GOG signature OMCs or 8 main thick cushion brilliants. ENTIRELY DIFFERENT LOOK but certainly worth exploring if OP is interested. If not sure about which one watch this http://www.vimeo.com/6010981. Better make sure the GF wants a stone with a big culet and chunky flashes though before going for antique. I LOVE THE GOG OMCs and would pick them if this were me, SOME WOMEN DO NOT LIKE THEM AS MUCH ESPECIALLY THE ONES WHO LIKE STRAIGHT EDGES AND WANT ARROWS LIKE THE NOVO.

7) As for Settings I WOULD NOT GO FOR A STOCK SETTING FROM ANYONE. BGD, ERD and WF all do custom settings which are about the same price(maybe slightly higher) than a stock setting and the workmanship is more consistent, customizeable and you often get a higher quality product. Leon Mege has great settings and for something simple may not be much more than other PS vendors, he can pull in Virtual stones too. Bluenile settings can be hit or MISS and I wouldn't touch one of them WITH A 10 FOOT POLE. I WANT A SETTING THAT WAS MADE WITH THE PROPORTIONS OF THE DIAMOND IN MIND.

8) I would go with the same vendor for stone and setting, its safer, less of an insurance hassle and you save on shipping.

This post was MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE than being deferential and a lot less work.
BLUNT OPINIONS ARE FUN.

Nothing misleading in this post now is there?
31.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You sound so proud.
40.gif
Just not getting it, are you?

Ah well, I don't feel like wasting my time to teach you to play nice with others right now, especially since I'm sure someone will be along that might be looking to bang their head against that brick wall. So I'll let them do it for me. And if they don't... there's always tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that.

I will say a few things though. I've SEEN a lot of the cushions you talk about with such apparent knowledge, but have not seen except in some pictures, with my own eyes... GOG cushions (though not the new chunky ones), real genuine old mine cushions, modern cushions, eight main... ERD's cushions... and BGD's cushion. I've seen them in settings, and I've seen them lose. I've seen cushions from Tiffany and Daniel K, and I've seen them in different lighting conditions, and I've been a member of these boards long enough to know both what to look for in a diamond that is in front of me, and what to do with it. So when I say that diamond I mentioned is beautiful, I KNOW what I am talking about... and regarding your highbrow comment about "likely don't have edge to edge brilliance"... the operative word is LIKELY. Cause you don't know. Cause you haven't seen. But I have.

Can you say the same? No. And that's the whole point. Fancy's have to be SEEN.

I do think that even your blunt post is misleading. Because you've hunted for ONE cushion, and haven't been on these boards very long, yet you pose as if you are a prosumer, and talk like you are Storm the Sequel. But you aren't... and what offends people on these boards is that you seem to think you are.

And as for settings. Oh honey, you do not want to start the setting discussion with me. Cause if I am considered a prosumer on ANYTHING on here, it's settings. And I can tell you that I WOULD DEFINITELY BUY STOCK for the right purchase or the right setting, and that in fact would consider it a FOLLY to go another route for some stock settings. Stock is not bad, and custom is not good. It's not black and white. There are shades of gray, and that's the point. And that again, you are talking as if you are an expert of some sort, when you most definitely (and especially with respect to settings) are NOT.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/19/2009 6:01:26 PM
Date: 8/19/2009 3:25:44 AM

Well the girlfriend told me that she really likes the cushion cut, and and after seeing the Brian Gavin ''Novela'' ring I think that may be the one.

I guess I''ve always been under the impression that going to a private jeweler would be more expensive.

Now I do still have reservations about buying online, with everyones comments about the different vendors on the website its made me a little less skeptical about doing so.

I spoke with a coworker today who bought the diamond online, but then went to a local jeweler to purchase a setting and to have it set. He purchased his through blue nile and mentioned that he had read and heard that their settings are subpar. Anyone else heard this?

36.gif
36.gif
That''s great news for your savings account! I''ve seen a BGD cushion in person, and it was gorgeous... nothing short of breathtaking!

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2009 4:27:04 AM
You sound so proud.
40.gif

Ah well, I don''t feel like wasting my time to teach you to play nice with others right now, especially since I''m sure someone will be along that might be looking to bang their head against that brick wall. So I''ll let them do it for me. And if they don''t... there''s always tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that.

I will say a few things though. I''ve SEEN a lot of the cushions you talk about with such apparent knowledge, but have not seen except in some pictures, with my own eyes... GOG cushions (though not the new chunky ones), real genuine old mine cushions, modern cushions, eight main... ERD''s cushions... and BGD''s cushion. I''ve seen them in settings, and I''ve seen them lose. I''ve seen cushions from Tiffany and Daniel K, and I''ve seen them in different lighting conditions, and I''ve been a member of these boards long enough to know both what to look for in a diamond that is in front of me, and what to do with it. So when I say that diamond I mentioned is beautiful, I KNOW what I am talking about... and regarding your highbrow comment about ''likely don''t have edge to edge brilliance''... the operative word is LIKELY. Cause you don''t know. Cause you haven''t seen. But I have.

Can you say the same? No. And that''s the whole point. Fancy''s have to be SEEN.

I do think that even your blunt post is misleading. Because you''ve hunted for ONE cushion, and haven''t been on these boards very long, yet you pose as if you are a prosumer, and talk like you are Storm the Sequel. But you aren''t... and what offends people on these boards is that you seem to think you are.

And as for settings. Oh honey, you do not want to start the setting discussion with me. Cause if I am considered a prosumer on ANYTHING on here, it''s settings. And I can tell you that I WOULD DEFINITELY BUY STOCK for the right purchase or the right setting, and that in fact would consider it a FOLLY to go another route for some stock settings. Stock is not bad, and custom is not good. It''s not black and white. There are shades of gray, and that''s the point. And that again, you are talking as if you are an expert of some sort, when you most definitely (and especially with respect to settings) are NOT.
Gypsy, will u adopt me?

Going to try on and evaluate Novo''s today........will report back later.

Darn, don''t have an ASET scope yet.

OP I''m glad your GF has found the one!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck Lisa!!

Scopes and loops and everything are all well and good and I find them very useful to separate a good performer from a not so good. But in the end they are tools. And you will be wearing the ring on your finger and looking at it with your eyes (and if you are like me, with your heart) so when you are looking at the Novo... take those puppies out for a ride. They will let you, if you are at the right store and have the right sales person. Wear it around the store. Go over to the window. Obstruct all the light with your head, smudge it (seriously just run your hands through your hair then right over that diamond) see it dirty. See it in all lighting conditions you can AWAY from those magical Tiffany lights. And most of all... have some fun.
31.gif

I was lucky enough that the first time I saw a Novo (while back) it was with Neatfreak and her ERD cushion, when it was in it's original setting (Ritani setting that is the closest to the Novo)... it was very educational for all of us looking from her ring, to the ring being shown to us so proudly by Tiffany's. So I will admit to never having been enchanted with the Novo, but if it's your ring, you WILL know.

Of course, that's the arguement I keep using to get Neatfreak to give me her sapphire asscher three stone... I just KNOW... and she hasn't bought it so far.
3.gif

It is my understanding that Tiffany requires the purchase of the center diamond as well as the setting. This increases the cost of both the diamond and the engagement ring. The design of the Tiffany Novo is simple but elegant, so while the brand may not be important to her personally, it may make her feel better and thus more worth your investment if she knows she is getting a quality brand. The same is true for watches. There are lesser cost watches than Rolex or Cartier, but the cache and reliability are there and if she says she is in love with the ring, at least you know that you can''t go wrong if you get her exactly what she wants. On the other hand, you may find something even better, but my recommendation would be to get her blessing before making the purchase whether you go with Tiffany or not. Chances are, once you''ve made the purchase she''ll be too embarassed to say she''s disappointed, but if you ask her advice beforehand, you''re much more likely to get an open and honest answer. Ultimately, you want her to be happy with your investment as she''ll be wearing this every day of your lives together.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2009 12:24:32 PM
Good luck Lisa!!

I was lucky enough that the first time I saw a Novo (while back) it was with Neatfreak and her ERD cushion, when it was in it''s original setting (Ritani setting that is the closest to the Novo)... it was very educational for all of us looking from her ring, to the ring being shown to us so proudly by Tiffany''s. So I will admit to never having been enchanted with the Novo, but if it''s your ring, you WILL know.

Of course, that''s the arguement I keep using to get Neatfreak to give me her sapphire asscher three stone... I just KNOW... and she hasn''t bought it so far.
3.gif
Lisa - I agree with Gypsy that once you see a nicely cut cushion and a well made setting .. I don''t find the Novo that enchancting. In my search for the perfect cushion, I have seen them all in real life. I have made an active effort to go to many of the vendors here to see it with my eyes. I also went a little crazy and got myself an idealscope, aset scope, back light .. loupe .. you name it. I am not trying dissuade you from the Novo because I know the T&CO brand holds some value.

I urge you to make a trip to beyond Tiffany''s and see for yourself. I have seen many novos at Tiffany''s but I have also seen many in day to day because of my numerous friends that own the ring. I would never tell them to their face what I thought but I have compared them side to side. They even commented that their novo didn''t look as nice especially when they find out what a larger stone they can get with that money.

You will find the right ring! We are here for you.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Charmy and Gypsy & anyone interested,

I think this is officially a threadjack so I''ll start my own thread about Tiff. & the Novo (which I did see today & have a lot of info on!).

I know I''m a tease...........
31.gif

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2009 4:27:04 AM
You sound so proud.
40.gif

Ah well, I don't feel like wasting my time to teach you to play nice with others right now, especially since I'm sure someone will be along that might be looking to bang their head against that brick wall. So I'll let them do it for me. And if they don't... there's always tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that.

I will say a few things though. I've SEEN a lot of the cushions you talk about with such apparent knowledge, but have not seen except in some pictures, with my own eyes... GOG cushions (though not the new chunky ones), real genuine old mine cushions, modern cushions, eight main... ERD's cushions... and BGD's cushion. I've seen them in settings, and I've seen them lose. I've seen cushions from Tiffany and Daniel K, and I've seen them in different lighting conditions, and I've been a member of these boards long enough to know both what to look for in a diamond that is in front of me, and what to do with it. So when I say that diamond I mentioned is beautiful, I KNOW what I am talking about... and regarding your highbrow comment about 'likely don't have edge to edge brilliance'... the operative word is LIKELY. Cause you don't know. Cause you haven't seen. But I have.

Can you say the same? No. And that's the whole point. Fancy's have to be SEEN.

I do think that even your blunt post is misleading. Because you've hunted for ONE cushion, and haven't been on these boards very long, yet you pose as if you are a prosumer, and talk like you are Storm the Sequel. But you aren't... and what offends people on these boards is that you seem to think you are.

And as for settings. Oh honey, you do not want to start the setting discussion with me. Cause if I am considered a prosumer on ANYTHING on here, it's settings. And I can tell you that I WOULD DEFINITELY BUY STOCK for the right purchase or the right setting, and that in fact would consider it a FOLLY to go another route for some stock settings. Stock is not bad, and custom is not good. It's not black and white. There are shades of gray, and that's the point. And that again, you are talking as if you are an expert of some sort, when you most definitely (and especially with respect to settings) are NOT.

Gypsy,

I find it rediculous to get into a pissing contest with an older women over who has seen more cushion diamonds.
You WIN! Not playing that game.

I have have however seen every stone I mentioned in this thread.

1) https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-shocking-final-diamond-choice-i-gave-to-my-fiance-which-one-would-you-pick.121154/ (GOG Signature and 8 main thin cushion brilliant)
2) Japanese cutter produces the Cushion Hearts and Arrows not hard to find in Toronto.
3) Tiffany Novo in Tiffany's Toronto and Birks Amorique numerous times in Montreal
4) OMC and antique 8 main cushions in Westmount Montreal at several antique dealers.

It really does amaze me though for someone who cares so much about her reputation and status as a "expert poster" here how you make sweeping assumptions you can't prove or disprove. You really put your foot in your mouth about me not seeing these cushions in real life, something I think you should consider rather rude and foolish.

If you read the other BGD thread carefully Strmdr is the one who made the comment about "Edge to Edge Brilliance" and I can certainly see why, by definition from the IS these can't have edge to edge brilliance due to leakage on the corners. It seems rather pointless to once again be discussing stones that are still not in production. Brian wasn't even ready to discuss these on PS and was a little surprised boxster even posted the pictures. Has anything changed in the last two weeks I am unware of?

As the OP here has posted he is concerned with quality control issue with BN stock settings and I can't blame him, search the internet or ask PS vendors about variation in quality control in stock settings nothing new here. With CAD/CAM and the reduced price for the machines and software the difference in price between custom and stock settings has become much narrower over a large range of moderately complex to complex settings especially for simple pave work. When was the last time you saw an unresolved custom setting complaint about a WF or ERD custom ring? I know I can't say the same about Tacori(not polished in the underside), Ritani(pave diamonds falling out) and Bluenile(many returns).

The issue still remains that dealers who don't do custom will readily defend what they sell, and those who only do custom will bash stock settings quite often. You seem to be heavily biased towards the stock settings as it would be "FOLLY" to think otherwise.
Since you didn't get into specifics I can only assume it has to do with price and that you are referring to the numerous simple settings which require very little adjustment nor have a lot of variables that would necessitate customization.

I tend to find the most unbiased information on settings to be from those who do both, as in they carry a wide range of high end stock settings as well as are known for high quality custom work. The best information I have received is from jewelry designers who also are owners of B&M stores carrying a wide selection of quality stock settings. My opinion is also based on numerous discussions with PS vendors, and personal experience(family member had to replace a pave diamond after one month on a stock micropave halo) and reading complaints on the internet. Unless you have gone around with a loupe(looks like CharmyPoo did this) and studied stock settings in a quantitative manner and have an unpublished treatise on this subject I find it rather rediculous once again that you think "prosumer" status entitles you to make a claim such as "expert on settings". Most PS vendors here wouldn't make such a claim or attempt to challenge someone's opinion on settings and they certainly see more settings than you do. I feel quite safe reccomending custom work from ERD or WF over stock BN settings as I know their support policies and how important it is to them that they are complaint free on this board.

This has become a colossal waste of my time posting here in this thread and largely throughout pricescope to help other members. I have an unflattering opinion of you now based on this thread and if you want to "Stop bashing your head against the wall" you will consider carefully whether it is worth it to put down my opinion or nitpick a sentence or two in future threads.

CCL

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 3:03:19 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

1) https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-shocking-final-diamond-choice-i-gave-to-my-fiance-which-one-would-you-pick.121154/ (GOG Signature and 8 main thin cushion brilliant)
2) Japanese cutter produces the Cushion Hearts and Arrows not hard to find in Toronto.
3) Tiffany Novo in Tiffany''s Toronto and Birks Amorique numerous times in Montreal
4) OMC and antique 8 main cushions in Westmount Montreal at several antique dealers.
Hi CCL - I am also in Toronto. Can you tell me where I can find Cushion H&A in Toronto? I haven''t seen any around here and would be interested in knowning.

Sorry for the thread jack but it doesn''t look like the original poster will be coming back.

slidelljake

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 7:27:20 AM
Author: CharmyPoo

3) Tiffany Novo in Tiffany''s Toronto and Birks Amorique numerous times in Montreal

Hi CCL - I am also in Toronto. Can you tell me where I can find Cushion H&A in Toronto? I haven''t seen any around here and would be interested in knowning.

Sorry for the thread jack but it doesn''t look like the original poster will be coming back.

Im here Im here!
26.gif

Its been a long weekend of shopping and I really do appreciate everyones input. Minus the little "battle-o-knowledge" it seems we have going on.....can''t we all just get along? haha

She has decided on the cushion. So the first milestone is out of the way.

Anyone have an opinion on who carries very nice cushions?

Im sure everyones put in their two cents before, but I ask for it again. She knows that most cushions wont have the brilliance and sparkle of the rounds or princess cuts, but she just really like the look of them. But non the less, Im sure some jewelers out there cut a better cushion than others.

On the the less positive issue, the setting. She still is in love with the novo setting. Its more about the dimensions at this point. She likes the thinner band and petiteness of the ring in general. She wears a 5.5, which I think is average or smaller than average (I really dont know).

After spending the whole day shopping and her just not finding what she truly wants, it became clear that it was going to be custom or the actual ring from Tiffany. I momentarily thought that it may have been a stroke of genius (I''m sure I''m going to pay for saying that) to buy the Tiffany Novo with the smallest diamond they will mount and get it reset with a 1 carat. Now there website shows a third of a carat being the smallest they will sell at a price of 2750 buck. So for that plus another 5k or so for the stone, I figured that would be a much more reasonable thank 12K for a I, VS2 diamond they would supply me with.

Any thoughts on this?

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 10:52:23 AM

Date: 8/23/2009 7:27:20 AM

Im here Im here!
26.gif

Its been a long weekend of shopping and I really do appreciate everyones input. Minus the little ''battle-o-knowledge'' it seems we have going on.....can''t we all just get along? haha

She has decided on the cushion. So the first milestone is out of the way.

Anyone have an opinion on who carries very nice cushions?

Im sure everyones put in their two cents before, but I ask for it again. She knows that most cushions wont have the brilliance and sparkle of the rounds or princess cuts, but she just really like the look of them. But non the less, Im sure some jewelers out there cut a better cushion than others.

On the the less positive issue, the setting. She still is in love with the novo setting. Its more about the dimensions at this point. She likes the thinner band and petiteness of the ring in general. She wears a 5.5, which I think is average or smaller than average (I really dont know).

After spending the whole day shopping and her just not finding what she truly wants, it became clear that it was going to be custom or the actual ring from Tiffany. I momentarily thought that it may have been a stroke of genius (I''m sure I''m going to pay for saying that) to buy the Tiffany Novo with the smallest diamond they will mount and get it reset with a 1 carat. Now there website shows a third of a carat being the smallest they will sell at a price of 2750 buck. So for that plus another 5k or so for the stone, I figured that would be a much more reasonable thank 12K for a I, VS2 diamond they would supply me with.

Any thoughts on this?
Hi Jake,

Glad to hear she''s settled on a shape. I hope u caught my new thread here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/t-co-411-on-novo-sis-upgrade-policy-gia-certs.123490/

Although now it looks like youv''e posed an interesting alternative to the whole "setting" debate.

Don''t know if I would buy the Novo and switch out diamonds.

Their settings are custom for that diamond and the entire ring is designed proportionately.

You may run into trouble w/ the prongs, etc...and who would do the work? If it failed who would fix it for you? Tiff''s would not service your ring b/c you have tampered w/ it.

Too many variables IMO.

Also the wedding band issue. Is she into matchy matchy? Did she try on the band?

There is a gap between the two rings (which would drive me bonkers!).

I think I''m waiting for BGD newest cushion star....that Novela (with cushion) is looking pretty darn spectacular to me!
36.gif

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 6:01:26 PM

Date: 8/19/2009 3:25:44 AM
To give you another option, my cousin just had a beautiful cushion sent to her, but sent it back because she wants a larger one (which she ordered) it was an I SI and under 6K and it was over a carat (don''t remember the exact numbers sorry)-- but I do remeber that it was almost 6.5 square (and I remember that cause I noticed that''s bigger than my diiamond by .5 on each side). It was a new BGD cushion and frankly it was stunning, I had it with me in Tiffany''s actually a couple weeks ago. And it held it''s own against Novo''s easily. You can call BGD and ask if they still have it. It''s one of two prototypes so they will probably know which one it is. Plus they have a ton of round super ideals, if that''s the way you want to go too.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/ is their website (still under construction, though parts are up and running if you click about)

And they have this setting which to me looks like a Novo type setting. It''s called the Novela. Here''s the pic of the setting. Good luck! She''ll love whatever you pick though, and you can''t lose with any of the vendor''s suggested!

ETA; Tiffany carries I color, and the SI was completely eyeclean face up (as noted by many PSers, if that matters any).
Well the girlfriend told me that she really likes the cushion cut, and and after seeing the Brian Gavin ''Novela'' ring I think that may be the one.

I guess I''ve always been under the impression that going to a private jeweler would be more expensive.

Now I do still have reservations about buying online, with everyones comments about the different vendors on the website its made me a little less skeptical about doing so.

I spoke with a coworker today who bought the diamond online, but then went to a local jeweler to purchase a setting and to have it set. He purchased his through blue nile and mentioned that he had read and heard that their settings are subpar. Anyone else heard this?
No comment on the stone. And no comment on the structural quality of BN settings, but IMHO I have not been impressed with the finish and overall appearance of BN settings. You can do a search of the forum (I''m sure there has got to be a thread on BN rings). Many of my friends have BN rings and I feel that they lack a finesse or fluidity seen in rings that come from PS vendors. Even stock settings from PS vendors seem to have a more pleasing finish IMHO.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Welcome back and I am sorry for all the thread jacking!

I wouldn't go with a smaller geniune novo setting and switching out to a bigger diamond. First, the setting won't be made to fit a larger diamond and the head may need to be replaced. Second, it really isn't good use of your money. Tiffany won't sell without a diamond and what would you do with the smaller diamond after? I am sure you much rather put all the money into the one larger diamond. Finally, the novo setting is pretty simple and can be easily replicated - or made even nicer by any of the reputable jewelers. I wouldn't hesitate going to Leon Mege, Maytal Hannah, BGD etc. Shop around and find the one that is a best fit for you.

In terms of cushions, GoG and ERD are currently the most popular vendors here. As mentioned above, BGD is developing a new cushion but it looks like it will be a while before they are released. Also, based on the prototypes, they look very distinct when compared to the cushions we typically see around here.

slidelljake

Rough_Rock
I''ll take anyones opinions on these stones.......All are from ERD.

Stone 1
Shape : Cushion
Carats : 1.10
Cut Grade : Premium
Color Grade : G
Clarity Grade : VVS2
Certificate No. : 2115019045
Measurement : 5.91x5.87x3.86
Ratio : 1.01
Depth : 65.8
Table : 56
Girdle : -
Culet : None
Polish : Very Good
Symmetry : Very Good
Certification : GIA
Fluorescence : NO
Our price: $4,366

Stone 2
Carats : 1.01
Cut Grade : Very Good
Color Grade : D
Clarity Grade : VS1
Certificate No. : 2105966913
Measurement : 5.86x5.81x3.77
Depth : 64.9
Table : 67
Girdle : STK-VTKF
Culet : n/a
Polish : Very Good
Symmetry : Good
Fluorescence : FB
Our price: $4,560

Stone 3
Carats : 1.02
Cut Grade : Very Good
Color Grade : G
Clarity Grade : VVS2
Certificate No. : 17263794
Measurement : 5.65x5.60x4.17
Depth : 74.5
Table : 60
Girdle : TN-VTK
Culet : Small
Polish : Excellent
Symmetry : Very Good
Fluorescence : NO
Our price: $4,048

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be most interested in the first and last, does Mark have any photos for you of these?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The table is too large on the second stone which may impact its appearance. To maximize your budget, I would stay in the VS and SI range. Not worth spending part of the budget on something you can''t see anyways. Also do you have the plots for these stones?

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/24/2009 8:54:07 AM
The table is too large on the second stone which may impact its appearance. To maximize your budget, I would stay in the VS and SI range. Not worth spending part of the budget on something you can''t see anyways. Also do you have the plots for these stones?

Ditto to CharmyPoo on the clarity - unless it is a cultural thing I would save your money and get an eyeclean SI1. My new earrings (which I havent'' officially received yet) are SI1 and SI2 and I can''t see a THING in them and saved a boat load of money (which of course went towards a bigger stone!!).

Also, like I said before, ERD already knows how to do an incredible Novo setting, and you can tweak it as you like (i.e. so the wedding band can sit flush, etc).

Good luck!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jake: Mark has a wonderful eye so I would ask his opinion of the stones you posted. As well as for pictures which he will provide (but be aware that his pictures aren''t the best). You are in good hands with Mark-he will find you a gorgeous stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results