shape
carat
color
clarity

T&Co....411 on Novo, SI''s, Upgrade Policy & GIA Certs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock

So I went to T&Co. yest. wow didn''t much like the Novo all that much! I looked at 2 specifically: a 1.52 and 1.01.

Firstly, it is NOT a proprietary cut, no patent, just marketed as "special" while I think they do have their own particular cut parameters plot looks like 8 pavillion mains and kind of a splintery look like they are going for H&A but not quite as precise. The only proprietary cuts are Lucida and Legacy period. The SA showed me the company paperwork describing each cut and the finer details. However she was not all that clear on the matter, didn''t want to blow it probably, and said she would confirm & get back to me as I had said I would only upgrade to a proprietary cut. Doesn''t matter as it was clear to me what was what. She even agreed you can get a round elsewhere (I liked her she was also a GG).

Humph! Very interesting. If I knew then what I know now, yada, yada.....

39.gif

Plus they are cut Deeeep (disclaimer I am a total newb at cushions). One I saw was 73% depth w/ 69% table! The 1.01 looked like a round. The stone almost looked concave on the top - strange but then I am used to my round dimensions.

We searched through some rounds also, I own a 1.01 from there, and they carry a fair amt. of SI stones in the current inventory although she said most of the inclusions she saw in SI''s at the store were under the table, blech. A 1.85 H/SI can be had for 22K if I remeber correctly. This stone was like a 60/60 (59T/60D/34.4C/41.1/P). Not overly impressed yesterday.

The Novo setting is beautiful but very delicate in person. The wedding band doesn''t sit flush w/ E-ring (would probably bother me) at 1 ct. I think I want something a little "chunkier looking" for the band. Basket didn''t seem overly heavy to me as has been reported. The overall appearance was classic, refined, delicate and feminine.

On a funny note there were a couple of guys were in the diamond salon looking at the Novos and one said to me, "why does your stone sparkle more than these?" I told him RB will out perform cushions in general. But mine was outside the case not in their special case lighting. They headed towards the rounds. Yikes.

I also got the 411 on the upgrade policy as some of the details have been vague. If trade-in occurs within 5 yrs. then they can examine stone in store (not send to NY) and take 10% off the purchase price! This is not counting tax paid. Then you apply your original purchase price plus the trade-in total to get your upgrade. Again you still pay tax on the upgrade. Blech, blech, blech.......

14.gif

Oh and they have GIA certs. on everything but only give them if pressed and on high dollar amount purchases she said like over 100K. Don''t know what to make of that exactly. Maybe I should go back and get mine.
20.gif

OK I obviously need to start over.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting post, Lisa. Were you considering trading your round for a Novo at one point? My favorite cuts at Tiffany are the Lucida and Legacy, but my Jubilee way outperforms the Lucida and I tried on the ornate Legacy, the one I have "always" wanted, and I didn''t really like it that much. It was too busy for my taste. What a let down! I would still love to have a Legacy ring with a gemstone center, though. I love their simple diamond crosses too, but since Facets make a darn good replica, and it is less than half the price, can''t really justify a Tiffany there.

I''ve never tried on the Novo, but always admired it in photos. I have never been able to afford anything from Tiffany anyway, but have been shopping for their stuff second hand on Ebay and Signed Pieces. I would love to have some of the pieces from the Swing line, namely the stacking band, bracelet, and round pendant. And then there is the Art Deco Flowers ring that has been discontinued, but there is still one at the Dallas store that I regularly visit and drool over, but priced at over $7000, is completely out of the question for a right hand ring!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2009 8:36:58 AM
Author:lisa1.01fvs1
Firstly, it is NOT a proprietary cut, no patent, just marketed as ''special''
I remember a LOT of Pscopers trying to tell you this
2.gif
. Coulda saved you a trip!
1.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
It''s always worth a trip to see it with your own eyes. Forums and photos are great but seeing it in real life still makes a difference.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/22/2009 9:24:15 AM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade
Interesting post, Lisa. Were you considering trading your round for a Novo at one point? My favorite cuts at Tiffany are the Lucida and Legacy, but my Jubilee way outperforms the Lucida and I tried on the ornate Legacy, the one I have ''always'' wanted, and I didn''t really like it that much. It was too busy for my taste. What a let down! I would still love to have a Legacy ring with a gemstone center, though. I love their simple diamond crosses too, but since Facets make a darn good replica, and it is less than half the price, can''t really justify a Tiffany there.

I''ve never tried on the Novo, but always admired it in photos. I have never been able to afford anything from Tiffany anyway, but have been shopping for their stuff second hand on Ebay and Signed Pieces. I would love to have some of the pieces from the Swing line, namely the stacking band, bracelet, and round pendant. And then there is the Art Deco Flowers ring that has been discontinued, but there is still one at the Dallas store that I regularly visit and drool over, but priced at over $7000, is completely out of the question for a right hand ring!
Hi NeverEnding yes I was and thought this might do it especially if it was patented it might, probably not, make it worthwhile.

Thought I''d share the scoop on these aspects of Tiff''s b/c most people don''t know the details about the upgrade/patents/certs, etc....

Hell I didn''t know although I''d had several SA tell me various things!

The Upgrade is a ripoff unless u go w/ a patented cut IMO. And even then I think you can do better elsewhere.

This is huge for me as I''ve generally been a Tiff''s supporter. Guess you all have me converted
3.gif

I have the swing celebration ring, legacy band w/ pink sapphires and 2 other diamond bands (from ebay, craigslist, SP too). I''ll post pics in SMTR.

Hey Deco PS''ers were all over the place on the "proprietary" issue actually. So I''m glad I got that figured out.
34.gif

And I still love browsing and trying things on......It was interesting to experience how they responded to me thinking I was really going to upgrade.

The SA will probably call me today to check in. About what I don''t know
27.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so glad you went and that the trip was worth your time!

It really is helpful to go out and see things with your own eyes. It's funny about the Novo underwelming you in person!

With asschers and cushions so many are cut deep. I am really lucky that mine is 65 depth (asscher) and I KNOW that shallower cushions are out there as well (I think the Jubilee has a nice depth, and the BGD new cushions do too) but I'm not surprised to hear that the Novo's are cut pretty deep.

Personally, and this is just me. IF I were to go with an engagement ring from Tiffany's it would be a three stone with a Square Lucida center and baguette sidestones. That's the ring of theirs I like best. Especially if you can drop to I SI now.

Inclusions under the table are not inherently bad, btw honey. Sometimes they can actually be good, because the way the diamond is cut to direct all the light up through the table makes it easier to mask inclusions located right there. If you look at some Infinity SI2's and I's you'll see that some of the inclusions are right under the table. And I actually believe Paul or Jon from infinity had a thread about that very issue just a few months back. As long as you can't see it and it's not dangerous, to me it doesn't matter where the little suckers are.
25.gif

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Gypsy, do u have any other info. on BGD cushion since, I think it was ur cousin that had one of the prototypes recently?

I searched for pics of it when u guys had your GTG and couldn''t find any. Perhaps u were to busy oogling all the sparklies there
3.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No honey. Not really. I just know that Brian will be cutting a larger one for my cousin (could have started on it for all I know), as she wanted to go up in size but loved the stone otherwise, she''s still deciding on a setting. I don''t know anything more than that. I would just call them and ask them if you want to know more, it''s what I would do.

There are pics from the GTG of everything (and I mean everything)... including a couple of that cushion but our official GTG picture taker is in the middle of a big move and hasn''t had time to post.
3.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Oooh Gyspy. Can we get a sneak peak of the pictures?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Charmy I don't have any of them. I'm camera inept. AmberGretchen was the picture taker, and I don't think she's going to be able to get to posting on here for a little while. If I had thought it through (my bad) I would have just brought a camera and had someone else take the pics, so that I could upload myself and save AG the task, when she is already bombarded.

Sorry.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results