shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP - Is my ring beautiful?

amkenn30

Rough_Rock
My husband and I are posting for some objective advice. My ring is a princess cut, 1.2 carrot, F, SI2 diamond with small round diamonds on the side. The band is a platinum Tiffany's band with small diamonds. The total is about 2 carrots. We designed it ourselves. No one EVER compliments my ring. I NEVER hear "It's beautiful!", and usually when people look at it they are quiet. We don't want to take it to a jeweler for their opinion, cause we think they will want to sell us something else - so we are asking this forum. Please be honest - do you like my ring? I do not know much about design, and I am really open to suggestions. I love the diamond, but if there is a different way to set it to make it more beautiful - please let us know. My goal is to have a classic ring that looks unique and beautiful.

ring.jpg

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it's pretty but I also think it needs a clean if the picture is anything to go by! Do YOU like it?

amkenn30

Rough_Rock
I really like the overall style, but I am unsure if the round diamonds look right paired next to the Princess diamond. Thanks for posting!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
can you possibly change out the sidestones to trillions instead? the angles will work together more i think. but I do really like that curved band together. Gives it visual interest for me anyways 8) however, once you set trillions in, I don't think the curved band will work too well. Still beautiful nonetheless

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In real life most of us don't get comments on our rings. I have a sister and a friend who adore my wedding band, but my other jewelery gets ignored. Except my filigree OEC diamond and sapphire ring which 2 people have comment looks like it came out of a Christmas cracker - meaning the cheap, gaudy plastic toys which come inside: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_cracker

In real life I also rarely see a ring which takes my breath away and that I feel comfortable commenting on. I saw a beautiful one about 2 weeks ago - 3 stone, filigree (any PSers in SE London?!), but didn't comment. I admired it while drinking coffee and pretending to look out the cafe window.

Do you like your ring? It does look like it could use a good clean. Start there maybe. I use dish soap and a soft tooth brush.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is your goal to have a classic ring that looks beautiful to OTHERS, or to you?

I'm tempted to say that our opinions don't matter, but if you really care more about what others think, then I suppose they do.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your stone looks cloudy to me, based on that one small photo. If your jeweler has a trade-in policy, I would think about learning more about clarity gradings and cuts and trying to find a stone with more life, if that's actually the issue.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to be honest because you've asked people to be. To my eye, the setting doesn't flow and looks a little clunky. I think the main issue is the square stone with the rounds on the side. I don't normally like to mix/match straight edges and curves - although there are exceptions. I bet your ring would look stunning with traps on each side or even bullets/trilliants or another pair of princess cuts.

Of course that's totally my opinion and I bet if you saw some of my rings you'd say you didn't like some of them also - so it's a very very very personal issue.

The most important thing is do you and your husband love it? If yes, then who cares what anybody else thinks? The ring should symbolise you both and don't compromise on that. Only change your ring if YOU want to.

Here are a few photos of other combinations that perhaps you could compare your ring with and see what you like/dislike.

Princess cuts.jpg

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Beauty is so subjective. I love alot of things that other find hideous and vice- versa.

Does it give YOU joy when you look at it? Does your heart skip a tiny beat when it shines back at you? Do you catch yourself admiring it when no one is around? If yes, that is all that matters. If not, then maybe a new setting is in order.

I've noticed that the only time I get compliments on my ring is right after it has been freshly scrubbed. No one notices it otherwise.

I prefer squares and rectangles to be with other angular shapes, as mentioned above. Or halos. But there is no objective reason for that, just preference.

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
I often get complimented for my jewellery including my ering so I can understand you're frustrated. It may be that it's too original for your friends/relatives (my ering is very classic, a 4 prong solitaire) or that you're ring needs some cleaning ? Or it may be that your friends/relatives are not used to seing such a beautiful ring and keep quiet because they somehow envy you? Did you try to ask some close friends their feelings about your ring ?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get the impression you don't believe that it is, otherwise you wouldn't be here asking that question. I personally do, though it's not to my taste. The rounds in that complement the rounds in your e-ring. Perhaps you can make the round sides some studs, and reset the main stone with baguettes as shown above? That would look lovely, though Im not so sure if that would really "go with" your band as much anymore.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
While I hate to say it but beauty is perception. So yeah I will be that person that says it- why do you care what we think? if you love it then that is all that matters.

I don't think anyone outside of PS has ever commented on my ering. I think it is sort of a taboo topic that most people dont know how to bring up. Though I comment all the time when I see a great piece of jewelry. :Up_to_something:

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if you are not having second thoughts about your setting? If you really loved your ring you would think people were crazy for not liking it. Did you and your husband design this together? If it vanished into thin air what would you replace it with?

I think if you are just concerned about what people think about it then ask some family and close friends to be brutally honest, but be prepared to not like some of their replies. Everyone has differing tastes and I think jewellery is definately a taboo subject because with diamonds you can usually tell ball park how much something costs, and no one wants to be seen to be alluding to that.

Can we see some more pics? =)

amkenn30

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your responses! I know there are questions about why I care about other peoples' opinions...it is literally an issue of awkwardness. Just the other day a group of women asked to see my ring, and then they just stared at it in silence until I pulled my hand back. It was so uncomfortable! Considering I'm going to wear this ring my whole life and my marriage is built on way more than this material possession, I have zero issue switching out some stones or bands if it's going to make it look a lot better.

I think maybe small princess stones would make it look less clunky? Or maybe half-moon diamonds instead of full rounds so I don't need to swap the band? OR, get rid of side stones entirely (turn into earrings) and just have it as a solitaire?

Also, I cleaned the ring and attached more pics :)

ring3.jpg

Ring5.jpg

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting more pics - I really like it, I wonder if it would look better with a super thin straight eternity band instead of the wedding band but other than that I think the ring has an antiquey look that really appeals to me and its really unusual - I would be asking you to hand it over so I could try it on :bigsmile:

As for your friends asking to see it and then going silent - who does that! what bad manners. I think the next time one of them asks you what you think of their new shoes/bag/ring you should smile sweetly and say "gosh, very brave" and then change the subject.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
I actually really like it. Meanwhile I am not a huge fan of princess with step cuts including baguettes. That is just the thing, we all like different things. The important thing is that you feel good about your ring.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's gorgeous. I love the princess with the rounds. I would pair it with a regular shared prong band rather than the curved one honestly. I know curved bands sit better next to rings but they just don't look as pretty IMHO. A curved band kinda screams 80's wedding set to me.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it, I am not crazy about the curved band, but thats just me...it looks good with the set though...I am actually thinking about having my princess and rounds from my 5 stone combined into one ring, somewhat similar to this...I would love to see the profile :wink2:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, my...cleaning your rings made all the difference for me. I really like it, especially now that I can see it sparkle, even in pics. I'd love to see you get a matching band to go on the other side. For me, that would balance out the look, making all the round stones a cohesive compliment to your lovely princess center.

danyhutch

Rough_Rock
I think it looks nice on your finger. You don't see it that often that people mix princess cuts with round side stones. Why not? Just because people are not "used" to see it like that? But how do you like your ring??? If you love it how it is, keep it that way. If you want to change it, change it . Or pair it with a eternity ring, would sparkle like crazy!!!! I don't know if i would take the rounds out. Either way, you need to be happy with it!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it an I am a picky gal. On your hand the set looks quite nice. If I started from scratch it is not the pairing I would choose, i would pick on of the options suggested by Loving Diamonds, above. But the end result is very nice. It is certainly not horrid or ugly or any other negative descriptor that might warrant stunned silence from onlookers!

The cleaning made a big difference, so keep it clean lady ::)

As to why no one said anything, who the heck knows.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I think it's very pretty. Hardly anyone mentions my ring either...but my previous ring people stopped me every.single.day. I couldn't even pump gas without people noticing, and it was less than half the weight of my current ring.

But you know what, I love my ring! It's exactly what I want! Do you love your ring? Maybe stop wearing it for a while and see if you miss it. I love my ring so much more after I damaged it and it took a long time to be repaired.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wasn't a huge fan of the first picture you posted ... but the pix on your hand changed my mind. I think it has a lot of presence on your hand. Is it a larger stone than most folks around you wear? Maybe they were jealous?

I kind of like the way it's unusual -- not something you see everyday.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like the ring is a keeper, but those women? Dump 'em!

I like your ring. I think it looks nice on your hand, and the rounds give it a unique look.
I don't like curved bands in general, so I would prefer a regular band with your e-ring, but that's just me.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I generally only worry if my DH doesn't like my jewelry but that's me. It's always nice to get a compliment.

I agree that cleaning your ring made a big difference and it looks good on your hand. As large as your diamond is and the shape means it will probably need cleaned often to look its best

If you want ideas for a change I'd look at a solitaire setting, get smaller side stones even if they are rounds and try a thinner band. Play with different options to see if you like them better. If not then keep this the way it is.

I don't think many people even notice someone else's jewelry. I do because I love jewelry and always look. I generally never say anything to someone unless it is a OMG I love that piece.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I also really like it, but if you are not loving it, change it! What matter most is that you love it. I like the change up of the rounds with the princess.

If you want a completely different look I think this would be gorgeous with your stone.

http://www.adiamor.com/R-1455-R2911-1.htm

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think the style is nice but I need better photos to guage the quality of the diamonds. Do they sparkle?

I simply adore my current set but out of all 3 of my e-ring changes ... my current one gets the least compliments. In the end, it is what I love and I don't care.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the set is pretty. How about testing your friends? Buy a super sparkly costume ring that is meant to look like an engagement ring. See if anyone notices or asks to see it. If they don't then perhaps the problem is not your ring.

Sparklee

Rough_Rock
Personally I'm not a big fan of princess and round stones together. There is just something about the difference in facets that looks off to me. I like the idea of trillions instead of rounds - that will really make the center stone pop!

Another thought - and I don't mean to offend in any way - but you did mention that the stone is 1.2carats, and SI2 in clarity, so I was wondering if the inclusions were very noticeable, and that's why people haven't made any positive comments?!?! I have on one or two occasions asked to see someone's ring when I noticed that their ring was stunning, only to be confronted with a really ugly diamond, and then I'm not sure what to say........

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a bunch of catty jerks those women are! WHO DOES THAT?!!! If you are happy with it, and love it, who cares what they think? Maybe instead of changing the ring, change those "friends". Man... :-o :-o :-o

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results