carat
color
clarity

HELP - Is my ring beautiful?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love the curved band! In my own case I thought that Tiff band looked best with my radiant..

Make sure your rings are super clean and therefore extra sparkley to knock the socks off nosey parker's! Get a jewel cleaner and keep it at work! :razz: :bigsmile: :devil: :halo:

cheers--Sharon

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love curved bands - very pretty! Your set is very beautiful! But, there's something WRONG with tese people. I'm sorry, but if someone held out their finger with their wedding bands I would certainly think of something nice to say. I hate to be mean, but are their rings smaller? That's just not normal behavior imho.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's lovely- I tend to prefer trillions and princess together but your ting is lovely. Only change it if that is what you want to do!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, for what it's worth, I happen to love your set! I actually really like the rounds with the princess, it's unique - and I also love curved bands. I think it looks beautiful on your hand.

Honestly, as long as it's pleasing to your eye, I really wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks. Your set looks quite substantial on your hand, it's possible these "ladies" (I use the term loosely) are jealous. It was very rude and strange for them not to comment. Who does that ???

Don't let a couple of jerks make you feel insecure about your set. What's important is how YOU feel about it.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I am being honest. I don't like round side stones with a square center stone and the curved band doesn't go with the sharp edge of the princess. But for some people, that is exactly what they would like about it. If you love it, then keep it exactly the way it is. If you are ready for a change half moons and trillions work nicely against the edge of a princess.

Your ring looks quite substantial on your finger. Could the lack of compliments be due to the large finger coverage and a bit of envy?

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
The new pics, where the ring is clean and sparkly, look much better than the first pic you posted, so I think keeping the ring clean is paramount to it's beauty.

That being said, you asked for honest opinions, so I'm going to give you mine. I think your center stone would look much better as a solitaire, or with trillion/trapezoid sides (as in the pics posted above). I'm not a fan of the square center stone with round side stones. IMO; the stone shapes just don't complement each other. That's not to say that I'm totally against round and princess stones together, because I have an eternity band with alternating round and 45 degree princess stones.

I'm also not a fan of the curved wedding band. Like someone mentioned earlier, they remind me of wedding sets fro mthe 80's. I think a straight band, whether it sits flush with your e-ring or not, looks so much better.

In the end, it doesn't matter what WE think. You have to decide what makes YOU happy.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1317075947|3026249 said:
I think it's very pretty. Hardly anyone mentions my ring either...but my previous ring people stopped me every.single.day. I couldn't even pump gas without people noticing, and it was less than half the weight of my current ring.

Kelpie what was the ring that garnered so much attention?

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
I love how unique your set is and it looks great on your hand. I think cleaning it made all the difference in the world, I clean my ring 2-3 times a week! For an objective opinion maybe change your curved wedding band for a band that alternates round diamond with princess cut or something else that combines angles with curves to "tie" it together.

These can be made with all diamonds if you don't like the sapphires or other colored stones =)

http://idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_131&products_id=10850

http://idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_131&products_id=10853

http://idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_131&products_id=10882

I cant believe your friends reacted that way to your ring :nono: it seems like such a catty
b****y reaction, or lack of! Dirty or not your ring is beautiful and unique and I really like it!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your ring and set is beautiful.

No one has complimented my ring, outside of Pricescope. At most, I've gotten a couple "Is that..." squint..."errr..." confused look "yellow?" :???:

If it makes you feel better... My best guy friend thought that this picture of my diamond that I was using a while back as my small FB profile pic

was a picture of Garbage Heap from Fraggle:

Nonetheless, after I laughed so hard that I was crying, I took that down as my FB profile pic. :lol:
148588_460627376576_656636576_5788414_8308437_n.jpg 5496039_std.jpg

5496039_std.jpg

148588_460627376576_656636576_5788414_8308437_n.jpg

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
Well... just my opinion but I think your ring(s) are gorgeous. But I think you can clean them even more!

Another thing and this is just my opinion, is that I don't like how perfectly they fit together, with the curved Tiffany band. I personally think that a straight wedding band would look better, would create gaps in your set, and I love gaps! (See, just my personal opinion - I don't think other people love gaps as much as I do! :bigsmile:) but I love love love the engagement ring, I think maybe try band combinations to change it up, not change the main ring.

And yeah to echo everyone else here, people don't really tend to comment on rings, they probably notice them but a lot of people think that ogling your ring and making comments about it would make you feel uncomfortable. Also if they are jealous, they probably wouldn't call attention to it either! If I saw a friend or someone I didn't know wearing that ring I would be very jealous but wouldn't say anything for either or all of those reasons!!

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
amkenn30|1317070155|3026152 said:
Thank you everyone for your responses! I know there are questions about why I care about other peoples' opinions...it is literally an issue of awkwardness. Just the other day a group of women asked to see my ring, and then they just stared at it in silence until I pulled my hand back. It was so uncomfortable! Considering I'm going to wear this ring my whole life and my marriage is built on way more than this material possession, I have zero issue switching out some stones or bands if it's going to make it look a lot better.

I think maybe small princess stones would make it look less clunky? Or maybe half-moon diamonds instead of full rounds so I don't need to swap the band? OR, get rid of side stones entirely (turn into earrings) and just have it as a solitaire?

Also, I cleaned the ring and attached more pics :)

Ok I've experienced the same situation, where they ask to see your ring and say nothing. I felt like they were disappointed by it but also since then I've seen people ask other girls the same question and stare at their ring... also without saying something. I honestly think that the non-verbal response is just that they're trying to get a really good look and soak it right in! The longer they look and don't say anything... the more they are probably actually enjoying looking at it! I really don't think it means anything one way or the other. If you felt uncomfortable... it's probably because you don't like the ring yourself. If you REALLY REALLY loved it, what other people thought wouldn't count!

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
I like your set :) Everyone has different tastes, personally I'm not a big princess person, but your rings look lovely on you - you should wear them proudly and assume other people are jealous when they're rendered speechless by them!!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I think it's lovely! I like princess cuts and I think the curved band works with the round side stones. I'm going to have to agree with decodelighted and say that whoever didn't say anything was probably speechless since it's so huge and they were jealous. Keep it clean and wear it with pride if you love it!

Now, if you aren't so sure you like the set, maybe re-setting is the way to go. LOTS of ideas over in Show Me The Bling. You could turn the side stones into earrings! :naughty:

If it makes you feel any better, I get very few compliments on any of my jewelry, even though my friends know I love it and get great pleasure out of it, I think it's not something they fully understand, and maybe think my interest is frivolous/a waste of money/etc. But *I* still enjoy my sparkly things, so that's all that matters. :bigsmile:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your ring is really pretty but needs a serious deep cleaning. It looks pretty on your hand. My only thought is that a three stone
with a band is a heavier look on the hand. Some people love it, some don't. You can get a setting that is a little more delicate and
even one that sits a little higher which lightens the look a bit. I don't think you necessarily need it, but it is a possiblity.

I understand your feelings about other peoples comments, that would probably bother me a bit. If you like the sparkle of your stones,
a new setting might be just the thing. Really, you have to love it and it is certainly possible to tweak it until you do! I guess it just
depends on how much you want to spend.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to add one more thing. The other day I was in Sephora and complimented the sales girl on her ring,(which was very similar
to yours by the way). I said, 'wow, pretty bling' and she said 'yours is pretty too, I was noticing it'. I didn't even see her looking at it.
So it is possible a lot of people love it, they just don't say anything. Had I not said anything about her ring, she wouldn't have commented
on mine. So just because you don't hear it doesn't mean people don't notice and admire it!

chicam

Shiny_Rock
What is the cut grade of your princess? It does not look like anywhere close to a superior or even a good cut, unless the pictures are bad pictures. I know most labs don't grade cut on princesses. Does it sparkle IRL to you? If not, well it's not a good cut and may not look nice.
I believe if that center stone were stunning, most people that grab your hand would not notice anything else but the center and be wowed by it.
You asked for honesty, here it is from me. Your ring is either cloudy and non sparkly or in serious need of cleaning. Also the grade setting SI2 inclusion, where is it located?

mogster

Shiny_Rock
I don't think the lack of compliments means that your ring isn't beautiful. I find that people don't usually remark on (or even notice) engagement rings unless they're, well, remarkable (e.g. REALLY big, has a REALLY unique setting, or something else beyond the standard fare).

amkenn30

Rough_Rock
A million thank yous for the advice and feedback! I learned something super important - I need to regularly clean my ring! I took it to a jeweler today and had it steamed and it looks WAY better! Even the jeweler said he had no idea my diamond was so nice when I brought it in :) Also, when I was at the jewelry store I realized how much I love the style of my ring and how perfect it is for me. That said, I do think that half-moon side stones would make the ring flow better as a whole, so I'm looking into making that change. Thank you everyone for your help!!

ring6.jpg

ring9.jpg

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think half moons would be a GREAT change. I hope you love the outcome, whatever you choose!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think cleaning your ring is paramount in the appearance!!!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I agree with what most of the other posters are saying. I wasn't crazy about your original pic (again keep it clean girl!), but I started coming around more with the most recent picture. Honestly I don't like the curved band and I think swaping out the round side stones and adding trillion and a shared prong eternity band would make your center princess really pop! :love: But like the others have said, it's really about what YOU like. I've only heard the obligatory 'oooohhs and aaahhhhhhs' when I first got my ring and ran around sticking it in everyones face or posting pics anywhere that I would let me. lol These days I may catch someone looking when they are making me change at the store or passing me something, but rarely does anyone ever just compliment my ring out of the blue. Sometimes I'll notice someone looking and it will be days later when they will say " I noticed your ring the other day, it's beautiful btw...) But you know what? Who cares? I can't keep my eyes off it, and who better to love it than me???

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, now it is stunning! Instead of investing in new side stones, I would invest in a jewel jet steam cleaner or an ultra sonic for your
three stone. Do not use it on your pave band, or you may lose stones. All you need girl, is to keep that baby clean and you will be in great shape!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I think your set looks great on your hand, especially after its bath! I do however, think that sidestones in a different shape might compliment your center stone better.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Wow! What a massive difference the cleaning makes. I think the set looks wonderful on you.

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Just read through this thread, and WOW does a professional cleaning make a difference. Your stone looks COMPLETELY different compared to your first set of pictures!

I personally think half moons would be better, but like others have said, it's what YOU want.

Keep that gorgeous ring CLEAN! Doesn't even look the same now that it's clean :)

Sparklee

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo|1317269547|3028500 said:
Wow! What a massive difference the cleaning makes. I think the set looks wonderful on you.

+1 looks like a new ring!!! :D

I do like the idea of half moon sidestones. Keep us updated if, or when you make the change.

cardamoms

Rough_Rock
I know you've already decided to make a small change with your setting, but I wanted to add my two cents to say that I love your setting as is. I like that it's unique, and it looks amazing on your hand. I think the proportion of the round side stones to the center stone is perfect. People could be not commenting for a whole host of reasons (it might be the first square-cut diamond they've seen and they're just soaking it in) - but I'm sure none of it is due to not liking the setting.

Personally, I've experienced the whole gamut of responses to my ring from it going completely unnoticed, to strangers complimenting it, to a male colleague bending over it for a whole minute staring and without saying anything before or after.

ideal5555

Rough_Rock
Hi.

I think your e-ring is beautiful and so are your fingers!
if you are not happy with your ring, then I would say def. re-design it...
if perhaps your heart is leaning toward something a little more fancy? if so,
there are many options that would suit your gorgeous princess cut center stone!
good luck!

and btw. after much cleaning, I can see the fire thru the photos now! :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your set is very pretty! I actually like the rounds next to the princess. I think many women just aren't so into jewelry like we are that they'd comment except when someone first gets engaged or something. I wouldn't take it personally and I certainly wouldn't change your rings to try to please others! If you love them, then don't worry! And like the others said, keep them clean because that will keep them looking their best!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amkenn30|1317056961|3025942 said:
My husband and I are posting for some objective advice. My ring is a princess cut, 1.2 carrot, F, SI2 diamond with small round diamonds on the side. The band is a platinum Tiffany's band with small diamonds. The total is about 2 carrots. We designed it ourselves. No one EVER compliments my ring. I NEVER hear "It's beautiful!", and usually when people look at it they are quiet. We don't want to take it to a jeweler for their opinion, cause we think they will want to sell us something else - so we are asking this forum. Please be honest - do you like my ring? I do not know much about design, and I am really open to suggestions. I love the diamond, but if there is a different way to set it to make it more beautiful - please let us know. My goal is to have a classic ring that looks unique and beautiful.

Since you asked, and I am a rather truthful person. . .

I think the prongs are a bit off, and uneven. I would prefer v-prongs on a square cut stone. Also, the rounds seem to overpower the center stone, and they don't really go well with a princess cut. I also don't think the Tiffany band matches it very well. I think you should make the rounds into earring studs, and reset the diamond in a knife edge solitaire, or baguette setting with v-prongs on the corners.

However, as others have said, if you love it, than you love it, so don't worry what people think.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results