shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I'm lost in the land of re-setting!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it! We will all be anxiously awaiting the unveiling of this new stone. I think you've made some wise choices - down to the remaking of your current setting. It will allow you to get to 'know' the stone and figure out exactly what you want to do with it. You had lots of choices there and I couldn't figure out which direction you were going in but in the end, I truly think you have stuck to what you wanted, upgraded the color and I think you will be over the moon happy! I am very happy for you!!:appl:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi - wow! That was SO helpful! I just read it all and looked at the links and it was great! Thank you so much! (and yes, size 7.5 is spot on) Seeing the pears on a finger was enlightening; I think a half ct per pear is plenty of substance!

I am going to love your new setting. That photo Diamondseeker posted is one of my all time favorite settings; I think our taste is quite similar. Caysie is a great choice for this - I can't wait to see it on your finger!! Now if only we could get DS to set hers, too....

I'm going back to see if I can find a photo of your wedding band so I can picture them together - yum! :)) And thank you again. :wavey:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it! We will all be anxiously awaiting the unveiling of this new stone. I think you've made some wise choices - down to the remaking of your current setting. It will allow you to get to 'know' the stone and figure out exactly what you want to do with it. You had lots of choices there and I couldn't figure out which direction you were going in but in the end, I truly think you have stuck to what you wanted, upgraded the color and I think you will be over the moon happy! I am very happy for you!!:appl:

Thanks, MGR :)

I think that's how I do things; I start with a pretty good idea of what I want, then I throw EVERYTHING at it - to see if it can stand up against other ideas and possibilities. If it can, then that's the one. I thought about style and size and setting, I think, but a 4ct ACA has the balls to beat off any contender, and that was very confirming. No matter what I considered - the ACA was the one that didn't fall down in any quarter. I'm very happy with where I've landed.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I am so glad that you found the links helpful! I think that you have many great options and I was actually thinking this morning of your new stone and going to suggest a "temp" setting, so I am really glad that you will remake your old one! Perhaps, DK can even just replace the head of your existing one?
Also, I just saw your new idea of having the 1.7 stone set as a 3 stone with pears! I love that idea and then you can do something totally different for your e-ring. My only note there will be if you are sure that you will wear the 1.7 with pears when you have a 4.1ct stone? Steven Kirsch is a person who can execute that one flawlessly and he works with outside stones. If I were you, I would actually use the 1.7 in a graduated 5 or 7 stone ring that you can almost wear as a "band" on your right hand. I think the look will be different and very bling so that the 4.1ct ACA won't be such a terrible competition. In any case - I can't wait to see what you do with all of your gorgeous stones!

Thank you for the compliments on my soon-to-be 3 stone ring! It took me a while to find the right proportions and the right stones, but I am happy with the final picks! The setting I am going for is slightly different (think more Jovyn style), but I think it will suit me at this stage of my life, who knows what I will want in a couple of years :D I am terrible in making "forever" decisions. My original wedding band was actually stolen some time ago, so I had Caysie make me her Anastasia band - I love the band, but after trying it on a couple of times, I decided to change the metal and so that band is now for sale. I am also thinking of getting her Riviera, but that decision is still not finalized :confused:

Again, I think you have a lot of great ideas for your stones! I cannot wait to see your glorious new ACA diamond! I think that you will be very happy with the H color! My eventual goal is to get back to H color, too (currently with an I), so this is all very exciting!

P.S. I also can't wait to see what @diamondseeker2006 decides to do with her beautiful AVR. I admire her patience! I would have changed settings 3 times by now if I were her lol :lol-2:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I TOTALLY agree with you re pears vs rounds - which is why I'm leaning towards the setting with the tapered rounds more and more by the minute.

First, I'm dying over that big honkin' ACA!! (HOLY SH!T) ...and I would absolutely consider the more tapered/angled rounds for a three stone -- esp since you've had a soli for a (the stone was the star). :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[snip] Regarding my three stone... center is 2.13ct, sides are 0.23ct each, all are BGD signature. Here are my little nuggets :D :
IMG_6246.JPG
I have decided to work with CvB on this one as I am going for a slightly vintagey design and I think that Caysie is the right person for that. She is also super easy to work with and lets me be part of the design process, which is important to me. [snip]

[snip] ...The setting I am going for is slightly different (think more Jovyn style)...

Okay, @SimoneDi... I must know how the Jovyn will work with a three stone, as this would be the "next step" setting of choice for me!! **LOVE** The proportions are SPOT. ON.

(sorry for the thread jack, @mrs-b)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought about style and size and setting, I think, but a 4ct ACA has the balls to beat off any contender, and that was very confirming. No matter what I considered - the ACA was the one that didn't fall down in any quarter. I'm very happy with where I've landed.

YAAAAASSSSSSS!!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, @SimoneDi... I must know how the Jovyn will work with a three stone, as this would be the "next step" setting of choice for me!! **LOVE** The proportions are SPOT. ON.

(sorry for the thread jack, @mrs-b)

Thank youuuu @msop04! We only have the design on paper as of now, CAD will be ready in a week or so, I shall share it once available :) I really wanted 6 prongs on main but very swoopy and fluid lines overall. If my stone could handle it, I would have gone to 8 prongs (think Abby setting), but I find them more suitable for large stones like yours ;-)
I first was going for the 14kPW mix for this setting because I am very active and don't take my rings off at the gym (which I visit daily) I know what y'all will say about this, but my original e-ring was stolen there because I took them off so that is not happening again:D However, Caysie has convinced me to go plat! I will keep you updated :)

P.S. Sorry for the side conversation @mrs-b:oops2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WHOA!!!! I have missed some huge developments in this thread! I was out of town for a few days with no wireless internet so I am way behind! Will be back after I go back and read what I missed!:eek-2::appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank youuuu @msop04! We only have the design on paper as of now, CAD will be ready in a week or so, I shall share it once available :) I really wanted 6 prongs on main but very swoopy and fluid lines overall. If my stone could handle it, I would have gone to 8 prongs (think Abby setting), but I find them more suitable for large stones like yours ;-)
I first was going for the 14kPW mix for this setting because I am very active and don't take my rings off at the gym (which I visit daily) I know what y'all will say about this, but my original e-ring was stolen there because I took them off so that is not happening again:D However, Caysie has convinced me to go plat! I will keep you updated :)

P.S. Sorry for the side conversation @mrs-b:oops2:

OMG, how exciting, @SimoneDi!! I think your stone could go 8 prongs, but 6 will be perfect... I would definitely go platinum -- I'm a convert! HA! I can't wait to see what Caysie comes up with! I'm still 100% in love with my Jovyn soli, but if I ever go 3 stone, I will do proportions similar to what you've chosen, or maybe just a bit smaller on sides. Good grief, I need therapy. #alwayslooking

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsB!!!! Wow, I love the 4 ct H ACA!!! I think you will find much like MGR that there is a satisfaction in knowing you have the top of the line cut. You appreciate fine things and this fits right in with your general style!

As to the settings, I think maybe you now understand why I haven't been able to choose just one! :lol:.
I love the MC2 Bella settings, but I have this feeling of concern with the sides of the stone being totally enclosed in the Bella Flora, because I HAVE to clean my diamond pavilion with a brush to get it completely clean. I can't tell if the opening at the bottom is large enough for a good brush or not. I really love your yg and diamond wedding band, and I feel like an interesting solitaire with a 4 ct stone might look best IF you want to wear your band with it. I like the idea of the Dahlia with the milgrain edge on the shank. She made that original head low as the client asked for, but it can be made higher and more shaped if you wanted.

I love three stone rings, too. I want one but I know I would feel it was too much for my lifestyle if I added substantial size sides to mine (not to mention I'd have to have them custom cut regardless of the size to match the center stone). In a way, my dilemma is VERY closely related to yours, wanting something classic and elegant but not a plain solitaire. Ideally, I'd like to to work as a right hand ring once my daughter has it, and I don't like diamond solitaire rings for a RHR.

@SimoneDi I am dying to see how your ring turns out!!! As you know, I was interested in that idea, too!

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 -

I utterly - UTTERLY - understand your dilemma at this point! You have all my sympathy! Well, empathy, really....

You know my whole 'thing' about widths of rings not lining up. My concern is that if I go for a 3 stone - even the one with pears - it will overpower my wedder. That stone, with sides, will sit so high, I'm afraid it will end up looking like a mish-mash, once I put it with other rings, and swamp everything else. But a solitaire, since it's only high in the middle, displays a lot of band which is no higher than the rings it's with, so the whole look, to my eye, seems more coordinated. I also like the 'rising up' feel of a solitaire; seeing that swoop at the sides pushing the diamond upwards just agrees with my eyes no end!

The 1.7ct VC diamond, plus the pears I have, will be faaaaar smaller and much lower. Consequently, it won't overpower the other rings it's with. It also won't reach the whole distance across my finger, so I think it won't look nearly as overpowering. So that's going to be my 3 stone ring.

And just to let you know about the Bella Flora - the opening at the bottom is very small. I don't see how your diamond could be properly cleaned. I do believe the opening could be made larger, tho. My issue with it, however, is that it is, essentially, a bezel. I am NOT paying this amount of money for my new diamond to have one thousandth of a mm hidden by metal! I also think, with the size of my center diamond, once it was in all those petals, the arms of the BF, which is its best feature in my opinion, would be largely hidden by my side fingers. You wouldn't get to see the nice taper or the angles or the other aspects which cause this setting to cost 10k (my version of it, anyway). So I'm moving away from the BF.

I do think I'm going to end up having my setting remade by DK's uber bench and thinking it through for a while. There's nothing wrong with a well made solitaire, so this is hardly a hardship!

I hope your time away was enjoyable! :wavey:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, how exciting, @SimoneDi!! I think your stone could go 8 prongs, but 6 will be perfect... I would definitely go platinum -- I'm a convert! HA! I can't wait to see what Caysie comes up with! I'm still 100% in love with my Jovyn soli, but if I ever go 3 stone, I will do proportions similar to what you've chosen, or maybe just a bit smaller on sides. Good grief, I need therapy. #alwayslooking

I am so glad that you are still in love with your Jovyn! It is really a gorgeous and classic design that showcases the diamonds. 6 prongs is I think where I will stay as I like the N/S orientation :) Also,nothing wrong with thinking about the next outfit for your beautiful diamond! :)

@SimoneDi I am dying to see how your ring turns out!!! As you know, I was interested in that idea, too!
Thanks DS! I know that you have mentioned on multiple occasions converting your solitaire into a three stone and apparently we even had the same inspiration ring! :D I hope that the end results of my ring give you a good idea as to how yours can possibly look as a three stone since our proportions and ring sizes are similar. Custom cutting tiny AVRs will be just amazing! I really don't think that it will be "too much bling" when the side stones are so small, but you will be the judge of that.

@mrs-b I just want to say that I agree with DS on having an open gallery for your new setting whenever you decide on it. I have one small ring that has a cup underneath and I can never fully clean it. It drives me nuts,so i have decided to reset it. I would definitely take "cleaning" the diamond into account ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, MrsB! It was a combination of getting our youngest back to college and then we went to the mountains for a few days to relax, plus we went to the mountains the first week of this month. So August has been a literal blur!!!

That's an excellent plan just to get DK to remake the current setting for the new stone. It's a lovely design! You'll be totally fine until the day comes that you decide on something you like more! I am glad you are sticking with the side pear setting for the other stone. There are times and places a more modest ring might be preferable, so you will be all set for any circumstances!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so glad that you are still in love with your Jovyn! It is really a gorgeous and classic design that showcases the diamonds. 6 prongs is I think where I will stay as I like the N/S orientation :) Also,nothing wrong with thinking about the next outfit for your beautiful diamond! :)

Thanks DS! I know that you have mentioned on multiple occasions converting your solitaire into a three stone and apparently we even had the same inspiration ring! :D I hope that the end results of my ring give you a good idea as to how yours can possibly look as a three stone since our proportions and ring sizes are similar. Custom cutting tiny AVRs will be just amazing! I really don't think that it will be "too much bling" when the side stones are so small, but you will be the judge of that.

@mrs-b I just want to say that I agree with DS on having an open gallery for your new setting whenever you decide on it. I have one small ring that has a cup underneath and I can never fully clean it. It drives me nuts,so i have decided to reset it. I would definitely take "cleaning" the diamond into account ;-)

Where am I missing a picture of this inspiration ring? I love the idea of a six prong center but have only seen the butterflies setting by WF (aka Yssie's ring). Would love to see the picture since I can't remember seeing it!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think I'm going to end up having my setting remade by DK's uber bench and thinking it through for a while. There's nothing wrong with a well made solitaire, so this is hardly a hardship!

I think you're gonna fall in love with the new HUGE ACA in that DK soli... JMO. *wink wink* (my emojis haven't worked in MONTHS - thanks, PS) [insert sarcasm]

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He said, "I think you should upgrade your diamond and get that nice flower setting we saw at MC2." (pause...) "But it's got to be 4ct. None of this 3.9 crap."

This is possibly the greatest husband in the world. :mrgreen:
Where can I find a wife like your husband?..:lol:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where am I missing a picture of this inspiration ring? I love the idea of a six prong center but have only seen the butterflies setting by WF (aka Yssie's ring). Would love to see the picture since I can't remember seeing it!
Here is the infamous inspiration ring, but all I took really is the similar (not same) proportions and the band stack :D
IMG_4755.JPG

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the infamous inspiration ring, but all I took really is the similar (not same) proportions and the band stack :D
IMG_4755.JPG

*SWOON* (who did the bands??)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
*SWOON* (who did the bands??)
I had to go to the original posters DB links (she sold all of the rings) her bands were combo of Schubach and (you won't believe it) Charles & Colvard!

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to go to the original posters DB links (she sold all of the rings) her bands were combo of Shubach and (you won't believe it) Charles & Colvard!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaattttttt????!!! So the eternity wasn't in diamonds? Wow.
Is this the same ring?
Three Stone with TINY sides .png

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the side stones are not prong set - that's how you could factor in the six prong head without it all looking too prongy! Love it! How large is the center stone in the picture?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every time I see that set, I want it. I'd change the heads holding the stones, but that whole set is just gorgeous to me. My only qualm is the metal decision. This set is perfect, but I am not sure I want to go back to yg.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whaaaaaaaaaaaattttttt????!!! So the eternity wasn't in diamonds? Wow.
Is this the same ring?
Three Stone with TINY sides .png

I really like that setting!!!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like that setting!!!!

I do too, but I don't know about only four prongs... it's beautiful, but not much protection on a larger stone -- and to do anything other than 4 would completely change the aesthetic. :(

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do too, but I don't know about only four prongs... it's beautiful, but not much protection on a larger stone -- and to do anything other than 4 would completely change the aesthetic. :(

That is always the problem in trying to find a six prong center for a three stone ring. Even Tiffany's doesn't do it with their settings - six prong solitaire, four prong three stone. However, I have had mine in this three stone mounting with four prong center for years and so far, no problem. Knock wood!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results