shape
carat
color
clarity

Help!!! I saw a fantastic ring somewhere in here...

Uragem

Rough_Rock
It was one of the first times I lurked and I came across a pic of a red stone in a halo setting...I know the halo was yg, not sure about the rest. I believe the stone was a cushion, asscher, or emerald - closer to square than rectangle. Or maybe it was round in a square halo. I didn't realize at the time that it would be that difficult to locate later or I would have saved the pic or bookmarked it. I remember there was alot of oohing and aahing over it, it wasn't just me. I

I have been searching for days and I can't find that pic! I have no idea where it was, could be anywhere. I've been all over these postings in the last couple of months. just want to figure out what it was, the stone or the setting, that has been calling to me from the great forum beyond... Please help me find it, it's driving me crazy!!!

Also, while I'm remembering, I keep seeing references to Sally. Will someone give me a clue?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Several of us have Rhodolite / Umbalite Garnets and from your description I'm wondering if it's one of those. I can't recall a square one in a halo by Sally but a number of us have them in Legacy type settings - does that sound right? Mine is in white gold so I know it's not mine. I'll try searching for you but try looking for Umbalites and see what comes up!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out the eye candy thread at the top of this forum. It kind of summarizes all the bling that shows up here.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Uragem

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help LD, TL, and Pregcurious! Unfortunately I've already gone through all of those threads. Believe me when I tell you I have been searching for quite a while! I don't know that it was made by Sally. I was just wondering who she is and does she have a website?

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, is the halo set with tiny diamonds like the Tiffany legacy setting or is the halo set with slightly bigger diamonds a la Princess Diana's setting on her sapphire ring?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To build on what SS has just said, this is a replica Tiffany Legacy setting - did it look like this but with a yellow gold halo?

Umbalite Garnet in LOGR setting3 trim for ps.JPG

Uragem

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info on Sally, pregcurious! Now I see where all of those awesome lotus settings come from!

SimplySapphire, as I recall it was more like a Tiffany Legacy than a Diana. I'm starting to think it's all in my head. I've spent countless hours looking for that pic. It amazes me that I was that moved by a ring!

This is the closest ring I can find, but I'm pretty sure the stone was a square cut.

goldgemstonering17103w5-yg.jpg

Uragem

Rough_Rock
I'm sure she won't mind...if I had a piece that stunning I'd be thrilled to see it over n over! This isn't it but it's really got that wow factor! I think I've picked a setting from hunt country - it's for my engagement ring. Now I just have to find the stone. I've got a bunch in my favorites, but I'd like to get in touch with Jeff white. I really love his work. Do you happen to know anything about his pricing? Nothing on his website is priced. Price is a big factor, especially with the setting I've chosen. But I wanted a good quality setting for my ering.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Jeff White charges according to the particular rough, and the size. If you have an idea of what you want, contact him, and he can tell you if he has anything available that he could cut for you. Be aware that you will be paying a premium for his cutting. Personally, I think the finished results are worth it, but not everyone does.

I had not seen that ring of aljdewey's before. Wow. Thanks for posting that beauty, Pregcurious.

Edited for wrong name!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1326169006|3099126 said:
Jeff White charges according to the particular rough, and the size. If you have an idea of what you want, contact him, and he can tell you if he has anything available that he could cut for you. Be aware that you will be paying a premium for his cutting. Personally, I think the finished results are worth it, but not everyone does.

I had not seen that ring of aljdewey's before. Wow. Thanks for posting that beauty, Pregcurious.

Edited for wrong name!

He has a new policy - his minimum custom fee is $500, so expect to pay at least that much.

Uragem

Rough_Rock
Is that in addition to the cost of the stone or will the cost be for the stone and the cut?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, TL, I forgot to mention that.

Uragem, when you contact Jeff you give him the parameters of what you are looking for: type of gemstone, color, specific details of hue and tone, the finished size and shape you are wanting, as well as any other details that are important to you. He will let you know if he has suitable rough or an already native cut stone that he can recut that would fit your needs. He tells you approximately the finished size range he is expecting, and quotes you a price. You decide if that is acceptable. At this point, you can also ask him his current policy if the finished stone is not what you were expecting.

I hope this helps.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uragem|1326212659|3099391 said:
Is that in addition to the cost of the stone or will the cost be for the stone and the cut?

I think that's for the whole finished piece, but ask to be sure. Also verify the return fee, as I remember he had one if you disliked the custom piece once its finished. It's a percentage of the finished piece if I remember correctly.

Uragem

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your help. This is my first time (!) and I want to feel prepared when I call. The setting I've chosen is below. Feel free to comment or make suggestions. I'll have to decide between a bluish green Montana sapphire, a cinnamon spinal, or a very pale yellow/champagne sapphire. I'm leaning toward the champagne sapphire. I was set on a green sapphire when I started, didn't know I wanted something else until I came upon this setting. It was love at first sight! I know a fancy yellow diamond (or any diamond for that matter) would be stunning but way out of my budget as far I can tell. When I picture the ring in my head, the champagne sapphire and the yg setting are mutually complementary!

Huntcountry%20the%20one.jpg

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Exquisite setting! Please keep us updated on how this project progresses.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Beautiful setting! I think it would look good with a blue-green sapphire as well, not only the champagne color.

Edit 5 mins later, to add: I think replacing a champagne color diamond with a champagne color sapphire is a tricky thing. A sapphire will not perform like a diamond, it won't look the same. Sapphires are precious because of their mesmerizing colors, so a blue or blue-green sapphire may be more enchanting in the long-term than a champagne-colored sapphire that was only chosen to mimic a diamond. This is just my opinion, of course. Just something to consider.

- Anya

Uragem

Rough_Rock
Anya and Aoife - thank you! I'm so excited! My boyfriend has been annoyed because I can spend hours on end looking at stones and settings and he says I've become obsessed...I told him, there are worse things! This will be my second marriage, and I bought my own rings the first time because even though I had a very limited budget, my fiance' had none (If only I had taken note of the foreshadowing!) Long story short, I did not get anywhere near a proper ering, and hoped that I would get one down the road. I stopped hinting after about 15 years and straight out told him I wanted a ring. Seven years later, no ring, no hubby (not because of the absence of ring!)

This time I decided I'm collecting up front!!! I want to keep it reasonable though because almost-DH will be able to retire in a couple of years and we want to travel. Hope this isn't TMI!!! Although I have wanted a yellow diamond my whole adult life, I've decided to live without unless we win the power ball. I have no desire for a yellow sapphire - definitely not the same!

I agree that trying to get the look of a diamond is an exercise in futility. I didn't think about the champagne color until I saw the setting, and I thought it would be beautiful. I'm not really describing this well either. I was looking at a couple of sapphires on planetarygems that are champagne with orange or pink undertones. My beautiful cinnamon spinels have sold, but I love that color and I was looking at the RI which would be considerably higher with spinel as opposed to sapphire, yes?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know what's REALLY weird? I had a diamond ring made by Sally (centre stone OMC diamond) that I designed and it's virtually a replica of the one that you've chosen from Hunt. You don't think you may have remembered the wrong centre stone do you? In the same thread I think (but can't remember now) I may have posted other rings so that might be where the coloured stone connection came from? I doubt it's my ring but seeing what you've chosen made me think!!!!

OMC Montage 2.jpg

Uragem

Rough_Rock
Oh LD, I hope I'm not stepping on any toes! No, I was searching through the archives on the Hunt Country website. I love the movement in his settings, and I wanted to see the progression of his work...and there it was! They are very similar!

I'm still fighting with myself over the stone. Because it's an ering, I thought I'd better stick with sapphire or spinel. Does that sound right? For the most flash and pop, I want spinel, yes? I have fallen in love with sunstone and many of the garnets, but neither is really hard enough for an everyday ring, correct? And with this setting it will be up pretty high. The color change garnets are so cool, it would be like having a toy for me to play with (sometimes I'm so juvenile!) In many cases, the colors I'm drawn to are less expensive in some of the stones, so I can actually get the big stone look, which I admit to wanting. I have to keep reminding myself that this is only the beginning. I can collect these other stones later! It's liberating!

Almost forgot, I'm leaning toward Gene Flanigan for this stone. I got him mixed up with JW...sorry. He's actually within a couple hours drive from where I live, and since I work in the pet industry, I'm thrilled to see his anti-puppy mill postings! Since I feel a kinship with him, read so many wonderful comments here about him, and the work on his website looks amazing (the frosted peridot knocked my socks off), I'm going to give him a call and see what's what!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh you sweetie, no of course you're not stepping on any toes! I'm just pleased you've found a setting you like but disappointed we couldn't track down the ring you'd fallen in love with!

You're right for an e-ring, either a sapphire or spinel is a good choice. I would try to find one where the colour speaks to you. By looking at both sapphire and spinel, you're doubling what's available and so can look for THE colour. Don't forget, if you end up with a sapphire (because it's for an e-ring), please get an AGL lab report. You'll know from reading this forum that sapphires are particularly prone to treatments some you may not find acceptable. Spinels can be synthesized also so a lab report is a good idea for them also.

I hear what you're saying with colour change garnets. Let me tell you that I have SUCH a weakness for any stone that has a colour shift or change! Actually I think it's that that started my, ahem, gem love! A large part of my collection consists of Alexandrite, cc sapphires, cc garnets and other gems that shift such as diaspore, fluorite etc etc!

Uragem

Rough_Rock
Re: Help!!! I FOUND a fantastic ring somewhere in here!!!

I found it! I hope Kismet will forgive me hijacking her photos!!! This ring is fannnnnnnnnnnntastic!

KASheadon.jpg Kismet's%20Andrew%20Sarcosi.jpg

Thanks to all for helping! I'll file this away for my next project. Kismet, great minds think alike!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help!!! I FOUND a fantastic ring somewhere in here!!!

Uragem|1326328763|3100808 said:
I found it! I hope Kismet will forgive me hijacking her photos!!! This ring is fannnnnnnnnnnntastic!

KASheadon.jpg Kismet's%20Andrew%20Sarcosi.jpg

Thanks to all for helping! I'll file this away for my next project. Kismet, great minds think alike!

Thank heaven, this thread was driving me crazy because I needed to see this incredible ring for myself, and no one could find it. It's very pretty, and unique. :mrgreen:

I also have a thing for high karat yellow gold and red stones. :naughty:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I don't ever remember seeing Kismet's ring before - is it very old, or very new? Boy, she has absolutely beautiful, original rings. I'd love more info, it anyone has it...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Woo Hoo Uragem! The hunt is complete... glad you find the photo you were searching for. :appl: Now... when do we get to see hand shots?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
So pleased you found it! We look forward to seeing pictures of your ring when it's completed...or even during :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results