shape
carat
color
clarity

New gem + new photo shoot..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 1:47:41 AM
Author: TravelingGal
Hm, not sure. I do like the silver ring you posted, very pretty and I think yellow would look fine it it.

If you could do that setting in yellow gold, I''d say that would be the ticket.
Yep I agree Tgal..unfortunately no budget at the moment
7.gif

Does anyone know if my idea with the band will work or no?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 1:08:48 AM
Author: arjunajane
Thankyou so much AG, Freke and MP
35.gif

Freke, for this one, I''m really leaning towards Sally''s new setting, called the pillbox ring - I think it would be great with an oval !
And then I would have the other two as plain bezel stackers, the spinel set E-W..(like the hand photo above)..what do you think?

Now I have to work up the nerve to send my gems to THI
40.gif
I love the pillbox. I think it''s awesome. I also love the ideas for the other two. I noticed you said that gold wasn''t in the budget at this point, how big is the difference? I think that big yellow sun would look fantastic in yellow gold...
40.gif

(I keep thinking about asking Sally to do some of my stones, but then I consider sending them ALL THAT WAY, and it freaks me out too.)

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful new pics AJ - you really take great photos!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Love your collection!

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
AJ this is a lovely sunny orb and MUST be set in gold IMO.
Advice: Stop spending money on other things and get this baby set in luscious gold
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 2:30:24 AM
Author: FrekeChild

Date: 3/22/2009 1:08:48 AM
Thankyou so much AG, Freke and MP
35.gif

Freke, for this one, I''m really leaning towards Sally''s new setting, called the pillbox ring - I think it would be great with an oval !
And then I would have the other two as plain bezel stackers, the spinel set E-W..(like the hand photo above)..what do you think?

Now I have to work up the nerve to send my gems to THI
40.gif
I love the pillbox. I think it''s awesome. I also love the ideas for the other two. I noticed you said that gold wasn''t in the budget at this point, how big is the difference? I think that big yellow sun would look fantastic in yellow gold...
40.gif

(I keep thinking about asking Sally to do some of my stones, but then I consider sending them ALL THAT WAY, and it freaks me out too.)
Hey again F.
TBH, I haven''t priced out the gold, as my budget at the moment is pretty much nil, lol...I am still waiting for my JM to be finished and need to make sure I leave the $$ aside for that..I know that Sally''s price will be totally reasonable though!

For me, the distance isn''t really a big deal of course - it''s more the suss mail system
40.gif

I''m almost convinced I should wait until I''ve acquired one or two more stones, than fly them all over to her, lol !
I''m about due for another trip to THI...
3.gif
2.gif
Now, just to how to convince Fi to take a holiday centred around creating new jewellery...hmmmmm...
11.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 3:20:32 AM
Author: bling addict
Beautiful new pics AJ - you really take great photos!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Love your collection!
Thankyou BA! And back at you, I love all your pieces.
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 4:26:55 AM
Author: katebar
AJ this is a lovely sunny orb and MUST be set in gold IMO.
Advice: Stop spending money on other things and get this baby set in luscious gold
9.gif
Hiya kate - ha! Thats'' all I spend
22.gif
on these days, lol !
Aside from necessities, my "fun" money goes towards jewellery and gems - I haven''t bought any
new clothes in months!
I''m not sure yet whether it''s a good thing or bad...?
40.gif
1.gif

I''m gonna go wih good, simply because I already have way too many clothes
9.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 1:45:43 AM
Just for kicks, here is the beryl in my empty 18k rose gold setting - clearly its way too big and won''t work in this setting,
but colour-wise, I think it looks great!

(For ma re, these photos are taken indoors under halogen downlights, with lots of mid-arvo sun coming through the windows.)
Personally, I think this lighting is very complementary for this gem!
I do to - it almost glows in that light. I also think the stone looks wonderful in that 18k RG setting (color-wise). Regarding your band ideas, I think there''s no reason why it wouldn''t work, but I''m no jeweller. BTW, I remember seeing some dark brown stones in 18K RG and it compliments them wonderfully as well IMO.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I love those pastels- perfect for spring (which it is in the States, anyway). Beautiful stones. I loove that stone from Barry
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 1:23:12 AM

Do you think silver will not complement the stone very well.?

How about this - I have been thinking about this idea for a lil while, but am unsure whether it would work -
I have a nbr of 14k YG bands that I have collected for pennies from ebay, all in very good condition, and mostly Art Carved bands, so nice quality.
5.gif

Would I be able to take the band, and have my jeweller just 'add' a YG bezel on top of the band to hold the gem..?

I can't think why it wouldn't work, as that's pretty much how rings are made anyway, right?

here is a pic of the band I would likely use for this, a 14k milgrained one:

what do you guys think?
I don't know how much your jeweler charges, but mine charges an exhorbitant amount for just a YG prong head and labor. I did this for my mandarin garnet that I replaced on my old e-ring. It would cost me around $200 to do this project with a prexisting band. I would think a bezel would be a lot more expensive. If I were you, I wouldn't bezel it. I think the yellow stands well enough on it's own and doesn't need the "help" of a bezel. I like Barry's cuts without bezeling ecause the edges are also interesting. For that price, I would get an 18K yellow gold oval mounting from ebay. It looks great in the rose gold setting, and again, the color is vivid enough to stand on it's own without a bezel.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
WOW AJ.....awesome stone and amazing photos!!!!
30.gif

Lori

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Lovely little chink of sun, AJ!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whoa, that is a phenomenal stone, and the collage in the rose gold setting had me drooling!!!!! I absolutely love it!!!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 4:54:27 AM
Author: ma re

Date: 3/22/2009 1:45:43 AM
Just for kicks, here is the beryl in my empty 18k rose gold setting - clearly its way too big and won''t work in this setting,
but colour-wise, I think it looks great!

(For ma re, these photos are taken indoors under halogen downlights, with lots of mid-arvo sun coming through the windows.)
Personally, I think this lighting is very complementary for this gem!
I do to - it almost glows in that light. I also think the stone looks wonderful in that 18k RG setting (color-wise). Regarding your band ideas, I think there''s no reason why it wouldn''t work, but I''m no jeweller. BTW, I remember seeing some dark brown stones in 18K RG and it compliments them wonderfully as well IMO.
Hey ma re, glad you enjoyed
5.gif

Yes, I am wishing now that this setting in RG was able to hold a larger gem, lol..
ah well, live and learn - perhaps in gems at least, bigger is better
9.gif
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 11:44:15 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 3/22/2009 1:23:12 AM

Do you think silver will not complement the stone very well.?

How about this - I have been thinking about this idea for a lil while, but am unsure whether it would work -
I have a nbr of 14k YG bands that I have collected for pennies from ebay, all in very good condition, and mostly Art Carved bands, so nice quality.
5.gif

Would I be able to take the band, and have my jeweller just ''add'' a YG bezel on top of the band to hold the gem..?

I can''t think why it wouldn''t work, as that''s pretty much how rings are made anyway, right?

here is a pic of the band I would likely use for this, a 14k milgrained one:

what do you guys think?
I don''t know how much your jeweler charges, but mine charges an exhorbitant amount for just a YG prong head and labor. I did this for my mandarin garnet that I replaced on my old e-ring. It would cost me around $200 to do this project with a prexisting band. I would think a bezel would be a lot more expensive. If I were you, I wouldn''t bezel it. I think the yellow stands well enough on it''s own and doesn''t need the ''help'' of a bezel. I like Barry''s cuts without bezeling ecause the edges are also interesting. For that price, I would get an 18K yellow gold oval mounting from ebay. It looks great in the rose gold setting, and again, the color is vivid enough to stand on it''s own without a bezel.
Hey TL -
yeah, I haven''t asked yet. But All jewellery here is expensive, lol !
That is def. alot what your jewellery charged - I''m not sure I could see mine being that high
40.gif

I do see your point about the edges of Barry''s cuts, good thinking..I''m just not a huge fan of traditional prongs for elongated shapes like
ovals and pears (although my oval is pretty fat
2.gif
)..

I''m pretty sure I will go with the pillbox bezel ring - I''d fallen for it at first sight! Perhaps I can see if she can let some of the edges show above the line of the bezel..?

Hrmm..how about something like this, just for a fun option? I love this ring!

ruby cab ring.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks icekid - good observation, they are very pastel-y
5.gif

Thankyou Lori, merc and Lauren !
1.gif

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
I adore this stone! It is like a little piece of sunlight to carry around on your finger.
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 9:49:08 AM
Author: babysteps
I adore this stone! It is like a little piece of sunlight to carry around on your finger.
1.gif
Hi babysteps, thankyou
5.gif

Thats such a cute description!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results