shape
carat
color
clarity

Help, I hate my new lain wedding band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
(see, I am so hysterical, I left the "p" off PLAIN in the subject. Good grief)

Well, I dithered and experimented and looked and finally ordered from e-weddingbands. And thank goodness for their policy! I hate my wedding band that arrived today.

Platinum 5mm heavy comfort fit -- to go with my 2.5mm e-ring

Satin finish -- NO -- not for me, not on a new ring...I love it on wallermama's but it just isn't for me. I won't mind a patina later, but I think I want a high polish, now

5mm width -- Nope -- makes the ring look blunter and flatter than I had anticipated. I like fat rings and went for the heaviest, and fairly wide...but seeing all yours that are smaller and look rounded like a rubber washer would, I am so bummed at my flat ring.

the minor part is that I'm going up in size 1/4 size. I wore sizers, similar rings, etc, and maybe it's the heaviness or maybe the width, but this feels like a platinum albatross on my finger. Just noticeable and SNUG. I wanted it to fit, not slide around, and it doesn't puff out my finger, but I think i need to go up 1/4.

Or, if I get a 3mm or a 4mm, do I need to keep this at 5.5 and not go up 1/4 size?

LOSING MY MIND! And so upset that my careful research left me weeping into my keyboard.

pics of 3mm and 4mm! I have to go back and search platinums that are comfort fit and not as wide as I thought I wanted.

Woe is me. At least the wedding isn't for 6 weeks

N-jo, blue on a Monday

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
fix it cuz it''s going to bug you even more tomorrow. and this will be a ring on your finger for the rest of your life.
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I highly recommend that you go to to a jewelry store and try bands on with your e-ring. You have time to order and return maybe one more time, but it would be great if you can order the right thing this time. I know of no way to know what you like best without trying them on.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2006 4:08:15 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I highly recommend that you go to to a jewelry store and try bands on with your e-ring. You have time to order and return maybe one more time, but it would be great if you can order the right thing this time. I know of no way to know what you like best without trying them on.
Ditto

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I thought you had mentioned in the show me your plain no-diamond wedding band thread that you were considering a 2.5 mm band...

You mentioned that you never want to remove this ring and that one day you might want to add a blingy anniversary band too I think? I would definitely go for a thinner band- your e-ring is gorgeous and you don''t want anything that will overpower it or take away from it''s elegance. It''s a classic e-ring that deserves a classic wedding band to match. I think that the stacking of anniversary bands is more timeless than a super-wide wedding band.

I think that the really wide wedding bands are a "look" they were very popular in the 70''s as my Mother in law got one and switches from wearing it solo w/ her pear e-ring in a ring guard on her RH, and wearing the band w/ just the plain pear solitaire- not in the guard on her left hand. I think it''s a dated style.

I would try on a 2.5mm plain band w/ your e-ring and then try on another band on the outside, to see what future anniversary bands would "stack" up.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2006 4:12:59 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Date: 11/20/2006 4:08:15 PM

Author: diamondseeker2006

Ditto

Oh, I have tried on everything under the sun that is available here in West Texas... however, when all the samples are size 7 and I wear a 5.5, it's hard to tell completely. I DID think I liked the 5mm, but in comfort fit (no one had one around here) it is cut bluntly at the edges... and has the appearance of a flat ring.

I ordered silver rings and tried them,the 4mm is comfort-fit, the 5mm is satin finish but flat....am wearing them still. But this heavy platinum one is so thick in a 5mm that it looks chopped off at the edge, unlike the silver ones. It is rounded inside of course. The 4mm silver sample one I tried is thick but still rounded inside, edges, and top.

E-weddingbands said yep, adding that extra width made the 5mm less rounded on the edges. I just thought it would be fatter and more rounded, like some pics of some plain ones from PS'ers who have shown 3mm and 4mm rings that look rounded, though thick.

Luckily they are easy to return, but I'm so bummed that I did do so much research in person, on here, wearing different bands and thicknesses. My e-ring bought online was perfect in every way, but this wedding band thing was a real disappointment.

I think with my shiny new e-ring, I probably should have started out with a shiny new band, not a matte one. I have only worn big fat smooth silver jewelry all my life, and only natural, not with a rhodium finish, because I love the patina. I knew platinum would be slightly darker, but I don't mind a non-shiny finish. I love the look of worn, loved platinum. But starting out with a 5mm satin band was a shock! Even if it does make the diamond look amazing...

Going to exchange for a 4mm heavy comfort fit, and keep the same finger size. I am wearing the 5mm band right now, and after a hand-washing or two, I've noticed it's really not tight at all. I think I need to get used to the 11.5 grams of
weight of it. Plus, I'll be going down in width, so no need to go up 1/4 size.

But yeah, if you only knew how many rings I've experimented with in person, plus admired and checked out here, on actual people. I thought I had a good idea of what it would turn out to be. I always want to see them on my hand or someone else's, not just a stock photo from a website. So I thought I had done my homework! I didn't want a delicate band, but I guess I will add eternity rings eventually to my 4mm band, to fill up my finger.

going back to look for 3 and 4 mm bands on real-person fingers, to help myself feel better...

such teasing from the fiance -- who is delighted to be getting $150 back on the exchange! But I want it nowwwwwww.
39.gif

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2006 4:14:34 PM
Author: dtnyc
I thought you had mentioned in the show me your plain no-diamond wedding band thread that you were considering a 2.5 mm band...

You mentioned that you never want to remove this ring and that one day you might want to add a blingy anniversary band too I think? I would definitely go for a thinner band- your e-ring is gorgeous and you don''t want anything that will overpower it or take away from it''s elegance.

I would try on a 2.5mm plain band w/ your e-ring and then try on another band on the outside, to see what future anniversary bands would ''stack'' up.

Hi, no...I wanted a wider band than my 2.5mm e-ring is. I''m sorta "from" the 70s, as I was of prime marrying age back then. The wide-with-solitaire look is what I had picked when I was in my 20s, before I decided to call off that wedding.

I still like a wider band, but I also wanted it THICK. So...about that other thread, you might be thinking of the thickness I wanted, which was the heavy 2.3mm at e-wedding bands.
I don''t think I want a band less than 3mm wide, though. My engagement ring has felt so delicately thin to me, and as sort of a tomboy (at age 52), I''m more comfortable with fatter rings, or stacks that fill up the finger below the knuckle. On me, a slim plain thin platinum band looks like I''m wearing a keyring, you know? Even though I have kind of small fingers, delicate rings just don''t look right on my own hand, though I have admired them on other people.

I love the thickness of this Platinum 5mm, but I had thought the edges would be curved, not flat. The inside is curved and the top is curved but boy are the sides sooo not !

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see. You''ve tried them on but just not the exact rings. I wore a 2.5mm e-ring with a 3mm band for years because I did want a wedding band wider than 2.5mm as well. Can you order about 3 rings and then return the two that you don''t pick? That would probably be the way I''d do it so I could compare!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/20/2006 5:27:38 PM
Author: N-jo

Date: 11/20/2006 4:14:34 PM

You mentioned that you never want to remove this ring and that one day you might want to add a blingy anniversary band too I think? I would definitely go for a thinner band- your e-ring is gorgeous and you don''t want anything that will overpower it or take away from it''s elegance.

I would try on a 2.5mm plain band w/ your e-ring and then try on another band on the outside, to see what future anniversary bands would ''stack'' up.

Hi, no...I wanted a wider band than my 2.5mm e-ring is. I''m sorta ''from'' the 70s, as I was of prime marrying age back then. The wide-with-solitaire look is what I had picked when I was in my 20s, before I decided to call off that wedding.

I still like a wider band, but I also wanted it THICK. So...about that other thread, you might be thinking of the thickness I wanted, which was the heavy 2.3mm at e-wedding bands.
I don''t think I want a band less than 3mm wide, though. My engagement ring has felt so delicately thin to me, and as sort of a tomboy (at age 52), I''m more comfortable with fatter rings, or stacks that fill up the finger below the knuckle. On me, a slim plain thin platinum band looks like I''m wearing a keyring, you know? Even though I have kind of small fingers, delicate rings just don''t look right on my own hand, though I have admired them on other people.

I love the thickness of this Platinum 5mm, but I had thought the edges would be curved, not flat. The inside is curved and the top is curved but boy are the sides sooo not !
Gotcha- I must have gotten confused between the thickness and the width. I will add that if you are serious about NEVER taking the band off I would go thinner, rather than wider. The wider the band the larger it needs to be, the more painful it will be if your finger swells, etc.

Also think about all of the "other" bands you could collect and about leaving some real estate on your finger for them.
Did you feel like your gorgeous e-ring might fall off your finger w/ such a wide band? do they sit flush? did you feel like the widths of the ring don''t "line up?"

I went w/ 2 bands from day 1- an eternity band (about 2 mm) and a very thing antique platinum band (1.8mm) then e-ring (2mm.),
I added a 3rd Chris Correia (2mm) band on the outside of my e-ring after getting a great deal on it on ebay because makes me feel "more secure" because it guards my e-ring.
So all together- since the e-ring isn''t flush (will your w-band be flush w/ your e-ring? if not add another MM or 2) I have about 10mm of my finger covered!

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2006 6:16:53 PM
Also think about all of the 'other' bands you could collect and about leaving some real estate on your finger for them.

Did you feel like your gorgeous e-ring might fall off your finger w/ such a wide band? do they sit flush? did you feel like the widths of the ring don't 'line up?'

I went w/ 2 bands from day 1- an eternity band (about 2 mm) and a very thing antique platinum band (1.8mm) then e-ring (2mm.),

I added a 3rd Chris Correia (2mm) band on the outside of my e-ring after getting a great deal on it on ebay because makes me feel 'more secure' because it guards my e-ring.

So all together- since the e-ring isn't flush (will your w-band be flush w/ your e-ring? if not add another MM or 2) I have about 10mm of my finger covered!

My rings fit closely together, not completely flush as some do, but I like the way they look. I have plenty of room to add at least 2 eternity bands -- already have some "test" silver rings w/gemstones, one's an etoile copy and one's a full eternity band with baquette stones set lengthwise. Extra rings will work with the 5mm.

I wanted a 5mm that looks the way I've seen others look here -- KristyDarling has a 3mm (I think) band that I like, just wanted it bigger, wider, but still with curved, tapered edges. I think the 2.3 thickness combined with the 5mm size made this more blunt at the edges than I expected. I'm trying to find the sort of "rolled" looking rings I had in mind, so I can figure out where I went wrong. I tried on comfort fits in person, but they weren't as thick...but not much in this town to try out...

I just know I have seen plain bands here that I love, and wanted one like those-- almost like -- the full round shape of a rubber O-ring, you know? Like the last one in the column on this page.

http://www.hkjewellery.co.uk/web/page/weddingrings-shape
That's why I like seeing actual rings, and on actual fingers, instead of enlarged airbrushed stock photos. I want one like that, except not too thin. When they are so blow up, it's hard to tell how they will really look on a finger, that's why I'm searching for those threads with plain bands, 4mm and 3mm, no less than those... hoping for a more rounded ring... maybe a heavy comfort fit is not what I need? Maybe just a regular comfort fit? I like the weight, and am used to it now after wearing it a day and sleeping in it, but the blunt side edges are not at all what I had in mind.

thanks for all the advice!
N-jo

(edited to add that I am sizing the photos to post later)

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Njo
Check out February 2003 bride''s setting...you might go with the solitaire like that (its wider than your current, but not too wide as so overwhelm the setting, and then you could get a band of similar width, and have a matched set, yet still have a wedding band of width to accomodate your active lifestlye.

I''ll find the linky for you.

Jeannine

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2006 12:42:32 PM
Author: divergrrl
Njo

Check out February 2003 bride''s setting...you might go with the solitaire like that (its wider than your current, but not too wide as so overwhelm the setting, and then you could get a band of similar width, and have a matched set, yet still have a wedding band of width to accomodate your active lifestlye.

I''ll find the linky for you.

Jeannine

thank you for your searching.. i wish I could find the pave engagement ring paired with a plain band, that was a look I liked. I am not changing my solitaire any time soon, but when I do, I will add sapphires and do all kinds of things, so it will be a bit thicker. But I want my forever wedding band to be like these pictured here, from other PS''ers -- just not quite as slender.. I want fat, thick, rounded. Donut-like!

e-wedding bands just wrote that they could round the edges more, add thickness, etc. They are working with me. If only my boss would leave so I could call them! grrr.

but all pics and suggestions are welcome, believe me! bless you for your help!

these but wider.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
N-jo -- I'm optimistic that eweddingbands can give you what you want. They are GREAT to work with -- very accommodating and customer oriented.

You know, I also own a white gold plain band that is 3mm wide and absolutely, positively donut-shaped (noooo linear surfaces anywhere, unlike my eweddingbands band posted above which has a slight plane on the inner surface). It's like an inner-tube made of white gold. I found it at a store called Gallery of Jewels in San Francisco, and is by a local designer named Carmen Hinckle. She's well-known for her beautiful bands -- some very plain and heavy like mine, others very artsy and unique (think hammered gold, tiny pearl or diamond accents, etc). You might want to call Gallery of Jewels to see if they can special-order a platinum donut-like plain band from Carmen....exactly to your specifications. (though it probably wouldn't be cheap)

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2006 1:13:20 PM
Author: KristyDarling
N-jo -- I''m optimistic that eweddingbands can give you what you want. They are GREAT to work with -- very accommodating and customer oriented.

You know, I also own a white gold plain band that is 3mm wide and absolutely, positively donut-shaped (noooo linear surfaces anywhere, unlike my eweddingbands band posted above which has a slight plane on the inner surface). It''s like an inner-tube made of white gold. I found it at a store called Gallery of Jewels in San Francisco, and is by a local designer named Carmen Hinckle. She''s well-known for her beautiful bands -- some very plain and heavy like mine, others very artsy and unique (think hammered gold, tiny pearl or diamond accents, etc). You might want to call Gallery of Jewels to see if they can special-order a platinum donut-like plain band from Carmen....exactly to your specifications. (though it probably wouldn''t be cheap)

hi, I''m so glad you chimed in, especially since I used your ring pic. Isn''t that one above the one you got from e-wedding bands, though? Mine doesn''t have to be a complete donut, just like yours, but maybe in a 4mm if that''s possible. I am going to call them shortly and discuss that, they have already sent a thoughtful email about how to further round off edges to get what I want. I just wondered if maybe the lighter comfort fit was preferable, if I was making things worse by choosing the heavy style, maybe that was making it too flat, if that makes sense.... but I love yours, and think I remember it as being heavy comfort fit?

thank you!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi N-jo -- yes that''s my photo posted above and it is from e-weddingbands.com. It is a heavy comfort fit in the 2.75mm custom width. Good luck in working with eweddingbands to get exactly what you want! They are nice folks.
1.gif

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2006 1:33:22 PM
Author: KristyDarling
Hi N-jo -- yes that''s my photo posted above and it is from e-weddingbands.com. It is a heavy comfort fit in the 2.75mm custom width. Good luck in working with eweddingbands to get exactly what you want! They are nice folks.
1.gif

yes, I loooove that ring of yours. I have been in touch with them via email, and finally had a long phone discussion. They have suggested going with a 4mm heavy comfort fit, because I would like it somewhat wider than my e-ring.

Here''s the quote from them on what they suggest about the edges: ''We could also have our goldsmith round the edges a bit more, so it resembles more of a "doughnut" rather than cut off on the sides''

I thought the heavy, thick 5mm I ordered would look sort of like the bottom band in this photo instead of chopped so bluntly at the edges. It was not really curved at the edges at all. (photos are in the No diamonds wedding band thread)
The top one REALLY appeals to me but looks like it''s probably a 3mm. I think I''ll include that top photo when I send my ring back and ask e-weddingbands to make the 4mm look as much like that as they can!

ringsIlike.jpg

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Jeannine! You are too sweet! Thank you so much for the compliment! I have to post pictures tomorrow of the Blue Nile rings I ordered to put the "plain band argument" with my e-ring to rest. I initially loved the 2.5mm (still do) over the 2mm but the 3mm is the one that is really growing on me...

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2006 10:49:40 PM
Author: february2003bride
Jeannine! You are too sweet! Thank you so much for the compliment! I have to post pictures tomorrow of the Blue Nile rings I ordered to put the 'plain band argument' with my e-ring to rest. I initially loved the 2.5mm (still do) over the 2mm but the 3mm is the one that is really growing on me...

Carrie, do post those! I'd love to see them! BTW, I love your new avatar! Your ring is so photogenic!

N-Jo, I'm sure you'll find something. My favorite look for you would be a w-band that matches the style and width of your lovely e-ring! And then maybe a wider w-band to wear alone every now and then. I know this isn't what you said you wanted, but I just wanted to chime in with my .02!

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
here, I never posted my disappointing satin 5mm CF heavy band. See how bluntly cut off it is at the side edges? They are going to exchange it for a more curved-edge on a 4mm. The other pic shows how flat it is up against my e-ring (awful pic!) and I thought the sides of the band would pooch out like those I have seen at PS, like KristyDarling's and marriahlyn's, etc.

The pic of two rings includes a comfort fit silver ring on the left, and my plat band on the right. I want my band to look more like that silver one, and thought that adding heft and weight would make it thick and donut-like. Instead, it arrived waaaay flat.

I appreciate the suggestions, but I'm firm in my desire to have a ring put on at my wedding that never comes off (going to TRY it, anyway!) I can always add to it. But this ring is very important. My engagment ring, at 2.5mm, is very very delicate for me. I just am not a delicate ring gal. My other hand is stacked with heavy thick silver rings. I have small and short fingers that will stack a few bands, but I want my wedding band to be thicker than the band of my e-ring setting. I won't mind adding thinner eternity bands later.

But I really wanted to add some presence to my hand, and beef up my skinny e-ring setting... Plus, I didn't want a skinny band on my finger when I wear the wedding band alone. I won't do it often, but i do want it to have some thickness and width to it. I'm old-school, I love wide bands with solitaires. Someone here at PS has like a 10mm gold band that is awesome, but I just wanted a fat, rounded thick 5mm. It so did not turn out right, but those folks at e-weddingbands are working with me, and suggest that the 4mm with extra rounding at the side edges will be what I would like.

I just wanted it to be sort of as fully-round as you can get in a 4mm. I see the 3mms around the forum, and they look so rounded, but again, that's only .5mm bigger than my e-ring, which feels too delicate for my hand. Had our budget not been altered by the need for platinum instead of white gold (crazy-allergic, here) it would have been a wider band for e-ring, and side sapphires! some day, it will be, but for now, I want a wedding band for life that is not too delicate, but does have roundness to it. Donut-ness.
9.gif

I so appreciate everyone's input, though.
less than 2 months to wedding, something I didn't think I would ever do -- just not my kind of thing. I changed my mind -- long story, and after over 9 years apart, we got back together sigh unseen via internet 2 years ago, and now I really do want to marry the dreamguy I wouldn't marry in 1995. I had wanted always to be a single gal, no marriage for me!

Some events in between changed my mind. So after 19 years of knowing each other, we're going to do it, it feels perfectly right -- and I want my band to be perfectly right, too!
1.gif

ringfugly.jpg

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
N-jo have you ever thought of perhaps resetting your engagement ring east-west with a thicker band? I''m sure there was a picture of one with round side stones??? in the under a carat ring folder which I think looks amazing. From what you say you aren''t sold on thin rings.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2006 2:52:56 PM
Author: lisaC
N-jo have you ever thought of perhaps resetting your engagement ring east-west with a thicker band? I''m sure there was a picture of one with round side stones??? in the under a carat ring folder which I think looks amazing. From what you say you aren''t sold on thin rings.

This is a temporary setting. We just bought a house and had a lot of other expenses right at engagment time....like I said, the need to change from white gold to platinum, due to my allergies, changed the width of my engagement ring as well as the stones! The ring budget disappeared quickly, and then we had to plan on the higher expense of the band, as well. So, yes, one day, I definitely am changing it. Not in the budget now. Wedding, you know.
28.gif

But that has nothing to do w/my wedding band, really. I wanted a band that will stand alone and be substantial enough for my tastes..I don''t think I even own any rings besides my engagement ring that are that slender. It''s just not a good look for me. I have ideas for the future look of my engagement ring, and eternity bands, and all that, but for now, just want that perfect plain band. I am glad to have found a place that will work with me so carefully, though. That helps a lot. I can always send it back again. I''m not getting a custom band -- yet -- because that would be non-refundable from them. They said they can make certain changes to their bands and can swap with me til I hit the right one, so that''s a relief, I am just impatient. 6 weeks to wedding! I want that ring in a box in my house, already.

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, I was thinking that changing your e-ring would make it into a stand alone ring. But I understand about having to wait until the budget allows. I hope you are able to find just the right wedding band perfect for you.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2006 9:19:35 PM
Author: lisaC
Sorry, I was thinking that changing your e-ring would make it into a stand alone ring. But I understand about having to wait until the budget allows. I hope you are able to find just the right wedding band perfect for you.

I am going to change it into something with sapphires probably and a wider band, who knows what I''ll do. But I don''t want it to be made into a stand-alone wedding band. I want the engagement/gemstone ring, and I want the plain band. I''m of the "wear it til you die" school.
I may change my diamond setting 15 times, or add eternity rings to the stack, but I want a wedding band I will love and be happy to look at and wear the rest of my life. I don''t want to take it off for sizing, or finishing, or anything! It''s tough picking even a plain band to wear forever, so many choices in widths, etc.

I do love the patina of worn platinum, and thought I''d love the brushed finish as well. mmmm, not so much for me, that finish. So, I am definitely going to change that to a polished plat, and when it develops a patina, that will be fine. I won''t have to have it re-dipped or re-brushed or anything, so that fits my plan not to remove it once it''s placed on the finger on the wedding day. I''ve gone from ferociously-independent girl to starry-eyed almost-married lady... it only took me 52 years, but I''m sticking with the change and want my simple wedding band to demonstrate that.

7 more weeks til the big O! (married name initial-to-be)
30.gif

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2006 1:00:46 PM
Author: N-jo

e-wedding bands just wrote that they could round the edges more, add thickness, etc. They are working with me. If only my boss would leave so I could call them! grrr.

but all pics and suggestions are welcome, believe me! bless you for your help!

updating.... a week later, the 5mm has been returned, and a heavy comfort fit 4mm is on the way. Sadly, they told me after speaking to their boss, they could not request more curved side edges without it becoming a custom ring. I couldn't return a custom if I didn't like it. Sooo... after a long conversation or two with those great women at e-weddingbands, I went with the regular (not specially rounded-edge) 4mm CF.

Two hours later, I called them back because I thought okay, if I keep being dazzled by all the 3mms I see on PS -- San Diego Lady's and some others (KristyDarling's is a 2.75 I think, and i even love it) and I think Mrs Salvo's? Can't think of the 3mm bunch right now...anyway, I thought, since I keep being attracted to those, maybe I should just go with a 3mm.

My engagment ring is supposed to be a 2.5mm, but it's not a comfort-fit, maybe that's why it appears so delicate... I measured it, and I swear I see the width as barely 2mm...so, I thought, well maybe a comfort fit 3mm is just the thing -- thicker, rounded, and fatter than this regular band my diamond is set in....

So, I called to get the less thick, but still heavy CF 3mm, and they'd already processed my exchange. The 4mm is coming, and just wait -- I can almost see myself returning for the 3mm, because it's just not rounded enough for me! I'm going to end up with a slender band, after all, I bet. I'm exhausted by all this. I have small hands but wouldn't call them skinny... not chunky hands either (52 year old gnarly hands actually)

My least favorite look is someone with a too-skinny, too-tight ring on big hands that are less than lovely -- I have a friend who wears a ring on every finger, they are all skinny-skinny little rings. They are too small because she's had them so long -- so it looks like a bunch of sausages that someone has mashed skinny cheap keyrings onto! I so fear that look on myself that I was trying hard not to end up with a skinny ring. Maybe a 3mm comfort fit would have been all right after all. I swear I think I have OCD about this. Ring OCD.

The problem is all you ladies with such gorgeous, youthful hands -- any size ring looks fabulous, but for some reason, the 3mm comfort fit bands look amazing.

Pray for me. Seriously. I so want this checked off my to-do list!
39.gif

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
1) I am sure your hands aren''t gnarly!
But before your wedding you should start moisturizing them and wearing a hand cream that has SPF in it. Mary Kay has a great line of hand care- a nice exfoliating scrub, a night cream and a day cream w/ SPF- I know you said you are tomboy, but on your wedding day everyone is going to be checking out your new ring, so you will want your HANDS as well as your nails to look nice. Before my wedding I started keeping hand cream in my purse and a tube at my desk at work, etc. etc.

2) If I recall- you don''t have big fingers! You really have nothing to worry about.

3) As I told you before when you put 2 rings together that don''t sit perfectly flush - they end up taking up more real estate on your finger. Between your 2mm E-ring and a 3mm w-band, it will be a 6mm spread on your finger- which will also leave plenty of room for FUN eternity bands down the line.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2006 5:58:13 PM
1) I am sure your hands aren't gnarly!

But before your wedding you should start moisturizing them and wearing a hand cream that has SPF in it. Mary Kay has a great line of hand care- a nice exfoliating scrub, a night cream and a day cream w/ SPF- I know you said you are tomboy, but on your wedding day everyone is going to be checking out your new ring, so you will want your HANDS as well as your nails to look nice. Before my wedding I started keeping hand cream in my purse and a tube at my desk at work....

when you put 2 rings together that don't sit perfectly flush - they end up taking up more real estate on your finger. Between your 2mm E-ring and a 3mm w-band, it will be a 6mm spread on your finger- which will also leave plenty of room for FUN eternity bands down the line.
oh, I am way ahead of you, I'm a lotion-lady. I spend waaaay too much money seeking out the only fragrance I like (can't wear perfume -- chemical sensitivities) Sugared Shortbread lotion by BBWorks. Got it in every drawer, by the sink, in my purse. In very dry West Texas, can't skip the lotion, it's as vital as shampoo or toothpaste to me.

However, I wash my hands so many times a day -- between the dog, my job, general dustiness around here, besides all the usual reasons for handwashing. I am constantly re-lotioning, then going to clean my ring off and then I am back to the lotion again. Good grief. My hands seem okay mostly until I look at closeup pics with my ring on! I also use some other creams and lotions, including an olive-oil based product, and something with SPF. I have to stay out of the sun/heat, so my only color on my hands is from self-tanner. On the wedding day, I'll wear makeup on my hands, I'm sure! I've done it before, just never when taking my own ring photos!

I'm a very girly-girl in a lot of ways. (the good ones) My tomboyness reflects itself mostly in my distaste for frilliness and daintiness, and the search for clean lines and simple shapes. Oh, and I'd rather watch a Cowboys game than go to my own bridal shower! (lady-parties not my cup of tea!)

Anyway, my sensibility is reflected (so to speak) in my emerald cut diamond choice, and the search for a simple band that will support a stack of other ones someday. I am so used to changing jewelry...not daily, but maybe every 6-8 months. So the fact that I have worn this e-ring since July is weird -- I try to mix it up by wearing various silver bands with it, and will always mix and match even when I have the wedding band.

Plenty of finger room, though -- I'm currently wearing my engagement ring, a 4mm silver plain comfort-fit band and a 6mm handmade silver band of carved thistles on the same finger -- and have room for one more very slender band. My solitaire is high enough that a band nestles against it nicely, another reason I was worried about a skinny band...If I don't like the 4, I can always exchange for the 3, but am hoping this takes care of it.

thanks for suggestions, always appreciated. now, if you could just make me be happy with whatever ring comes.
11.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I love the idea of a 2.5-3mm band! Together, won''t that be a substantial look? Your ring is just so beautiful.

Maybe you can get a thicker band for when you want to wear it alone.

We should invent some hand washing liquid that moisturizes AND cleans our diamonds! I have that same dilemma. Unfortunately, moisturizing and diamond cleaning lotions have opposite properties. Darnit! Why can''t we find a 2-in-1 kind of like Pantene''s shampoo and conditioner formula? LOL.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2006 12:27:15 PM
Author: Julian
I love the idea of a 2.5-3mm band! Together, won't that be a substantial look? Your ring is just so beautiful.

Maybe you can get a thicker band for when you want to wear it alone.

We should invent some hand washing liquid that moisturizes AND cleans our diamonds! I have that same dilemma. Unfortunately, moisturizing and diamond cleaning lotions have opposite properties. Darnit! Why can't we find a 2-in-1 kind of like Pantene's shampoo and conditioner formula? LOL.
yeah, I can't believe I'm starting to wish I'd chosen a 3mm... after months of telling the future Mr NjO how I wanted to the widest ring possible. Whatever I get is a forever band, not to be taken off, so I need really bad to LOVE it. I can always add to either a 3mm or a 4mm. For the last few months I have played with various sizes next to my e-ring. I gravitated towards wider ones, but now, I'm having ring remorse before ever receiving the exhange.

I keep looking at mrssalvo's original rings -- I do like the way that looks, no idea of the size, but regarding my rings, I wish I'd gotten my diamond set in a comfort fit...I wanted it to stand out, so I went with the thin band and wanted to add a wide wedding band. Now, I'm totally changing my mind and wanting a skinnier wedding band and a slightly thicker looking engagement setting.

But -- the e-ring setting will change someday. This wedding ring, however, has to stick, that's my vow to him and to myself, it's what I want, and I'm going to go mad picking a ring I have sworn to wear the rest of my life!

and yeah, why can't someone invent an all-purpose ring cleaner, hand cleaner/moisturizer?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL. I really feel your pain regarding finding the perfect wedding band. I still haven''t found mine! (which explains the multiple platinum bands languishing in my jewelry box, ugh!) But don''t you worry, you WILL find yours! Let us know how you like the forthcoming band from EWB.com. Wear it around a bit and see how you feel before making your decision. A 3mm heavy comfort fit would be amazingly gorgeous, comfortable, and easy to wear forever. And like you said, it''ll leave plenty of room for stacking.
30.gif
Very important consideration, IMO.
9.gif
Thank goodness EWB.com is so amenable to returns and exchanges. They are so nice over there. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results