shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - I bought a chipped diamond

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
8E879706-3358-472D-B8C7-1A45EA9BA0D8.jpeg

I bought this old cut diamond ring from eBay. I think it’s amazing and am head over heels in love with it but it has a small chip on the edge of it.

Unfortunately I don’t have a decent camera to take a close up photo of it but from this pic *i think* the chip is just left of the top prong. It wasn’t mentioned in the listing and I didn’t notice it in the photos and only saw it when I was examining it under a loupe.

It is quite small and seems to be from the girdle up onto one facet. How hard would this be to fix? Could it be polished out? Would it make the diamond uneven?

Returning it wouldn’t be a problem but if it would be relatively easy to have fixed I would rather keep it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Cacaobeanie! I like your antique diamond. I’m assuming there is no grading report.

A few things come into play when assessing an old cut stone with no lab report. If you have bought an intact ring, you should try to determine if there are any chips hiding under prongs. It looks like your antique cut diamond was put into a more modern setting, so something bigger could be hiding under a prong. That’s what I would be concerned before the small flea bite on the girdle.

It’s good news that the tiny “chip” on the girdle that you found is only visible by loupe, and barely detectable in a blown up photo. A tiny chip could be a chip, a “natural”, an additional facet, or an artifact from hand bruting. If it’s an artifact from hand bruting, you’d probably be seeing more flea bites than just one. For a tiny imperceptable chip I would never advise repolishing. Repolishing can be done, but sometimes it alters the shape of the diamond. An experienced cutter would be able to talk to you about approximate weight loss and whether polishing out this particular chip would impact the faceting. Because it’s so small, I would suggest putting the chip under a prong.

My bigger concern would be things that might have been hidden from you, on the pavilion side of the diamond. I wouldn’t trust the vendor who didn’t tell you about the chip to tell you about other hidden flaws.

If you can find a reputable jeweler to unmount the stone for you, you will be able to inspect it. Unfortunately, this usually means you cannot return the diamond. This is why buying antique cuts loose, with lab reports is more advisable. Good luck!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also think it may be a natural..Pre PS I bought my diamond and had it set..When I reset it last year I saw what I thought to be a chip..I didn’t realize it was a natural and was plotted on my AGS report. I would bring it to an appraiser and let them take a look at it. I would leave it alone if it was small. If you’re going to have it reset then I would have it looked at loose..

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also think it may be a natural..Pre PS I bought my diamond and had it set..When I reset it last year I saw what I thought to be a chip..I didn’t realize it was a natural and was plotted on my AGS report. I would bring it to an appraiser and let them take a look at it. I would leave it alone if it was small. If you’re going to have it reset then I would have it looked at loose..

Good advice here. If you really like it, take the stone to a qualified appraiser to get their opinion. It may be a chip, but it may also be something else.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Does it look like this? Did a diamond certificate come with it?
See if you see "Indented Natural" under the clarity note if you have the paper for the diamond.
Search google for more examples. Best to take it to a jeweler to get a confirmation.
indented-natural-inclusion-in-diamond-300x216.png

https://yourdiamondteacher.com/diamond-4cs/clarity/diamond-inclusion-types-list/

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
Hi LightBright, thank you for such an in depth and informative reply! I didn’t realise it could be so many different things, I thought a chip was just a chip. And I hadn’t considered more damage could be hidden, which is worrying. I can see the underside of the diamond through the bottom as it’s in an open basket, and there doesn’t appear to be anything else, although I’m not really sure what I would be looking for.

I’m from the UK and all options I have found to buy certified loose old cut diamonds are from abroad, which would involve high shipping/tax/import costs and too risky in case I didn’t like the stone in person. I also have a relatively modest budget (well by PS standards anyway!) so eBay and auctions are my only realistic option.

blueMA no it’s not certified. It does kind of look like that and starts at the girdle and then extends upwards onto a facet.

I’m going to follow all your advice and have it inspected, and keep my fingers crossed that it’s a natural. Thanks everyone!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Hi LightBright, thank you for such an in depth and informative reply! I didn’t realise it could be so many different things, I thought a chip was just a chip. And I hadn’t considered more damage could be hidden, which is worrying. I can see the underside of the diamond through the bottom as it’s in an open basket, and there doesn’t appear to be anything else, although I’m not really sure what I would be looking for.

I’m from the UK and all options I have found to buy certified loose old cut diamonds are from abroad, which would involve high shipping/tax/import costs and too risky in case I didn’t like the stone in person. I also have a relatively modest budget (well by PS standards anyway!) so eBay and auctions are my only realistic option.

blueMA no it’s not certified. It does kind of look like that and starts at the girdle and then extends upwards onto a facet.

I’m going to follow all your advice and have it inspected, and keep my fingers crossed that it’s a natural. Thanks everyone!

Yes, we see this often here on PS. After a reset, a poster notices a chip, freaks out, and then later find out it was a natural after all. Best to get a confirmation and then figure out what to do next.
BTW, if it's a chip, it's better not to cover that with prong. It's best to set the prong right next to it where you don't notice it as easily so that the chip doesn't get worse while getting protected by the prong right next to it.

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
5FD84407-B259-4D3D-945C-3711D86B39F7.jpeg

Just posting a follow up in case anyone’s interested. It turned out to definitely be a chip, but once the diamond was unmounted there was thankfully no other damage hiding under the prongs!

I had the chip polished out and it took the carat weight down from 1.89 to 1.81 which I am happy with.

BF598B04-DBDB-482F-8F9B-BAB437E7B375.png

I’m very pleased with how it turned out! Although it was nerve racking to have it worked on I’m really glad I went for it and kept the diamond.

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for reporting back. I’m learning so much on PS!

Do you mind sharing what the process was to have it examined and the polished? Was it the same jeweler who did both? Do you mind me asking how much the examination and polish costs?

Is she now reset and ready to go? Enjoy her! :dance:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just posting a follow up in case anyone’s interested. It turned out to definitely be a chip, but once the diamond was unmounted there was thankfully no other damage hiding under the prongs!

I had the chip polished out and it took the carat weight down from 1.89 to 1.81 which I am happy with.

I’m very pleased with how it turned out! Although it was nerve racking to have it worked on I’m really glad I went for it and kept the diamond.
I absolutely love that top picture! It’s a great looking stone. With this and the other ring you just bought, you’re doing nicely for the UK where old cuts don’t seem to be super common

Reactions: EC8

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for reporting back. I’m learning so much on PS!

Do you mind sharing what the process was to have it examined and the polished? Was it the same jeweler who did both? Do you mind me asking how much the examination and polish costs?

Is she now reset and ready to go? Enjoy her! :dance:

Yes it was the same jeweller, I sent it to Jewellery Repair Workshop in Hatton Garden (London). I asked them to check it and tell me if it could be fixed and what the risks would be etc. The diamond cutter said it would be straightforward and i wouldn’t lose a lot of carat weight so I went ahead. It was £200 for the recut alone but I had it resized and retipped as well.

Not sure if I’m allowed to post a link but they have a great video of my diamond & finished ring on Instagram if you want to have a look :)

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
I absolutely love that top picture! It’s a great looking stone. With this and the other ring you just bought, you’re doing nicely for the UK where old cuts don’t seem to be super common

Thanks, I love it and it looks even better in person. I think in the bottom picture there was a busy background because the stone is not actually brown like it appears there. I know, I’ve been trawling the auctions online for a few months now, I’ve got old cut diamond fever! I’m not even sure what I’m going to do with the second ring but I got swept up in the auction and decided I had to have it :lol-2:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it was the same jeweller, I sent it to Jewellery Repair Workshop in Hatton Garden (London). I asked them to check it and tell me if it could be fixed and what the risks would be etc. The diamond cutter said it would be straightforward and i wouldn’t lose a lot of carat weight so I went ahead. It was £200 for the recut alone but I had it resized and retipped as well.

Not sure if I’m allowed to post a link but they have a great video of my diamond & finished ring on Instagram if you want to have a look :)
Wow! Yes definitely post a link and I think there’s a thread for UK recommended jewellers as well so post it in there too?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A competent independent appraisal would be very helpful here.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I love it! I seem to be spending a crazy amount of time walking round with my arm outstretched, just admiring it and watching it sparkle :kiss2:

Lol, we all do that (right?):lol:

Your recut is fab!! We naturally are going to require more pictures. And what’s this second purchase? We need pics of that too! Great find!!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is magical! It’s good to see you found a great jeweler and resource to address your challenges. They did a beautiful job. What a lovely ring, wear it in good health!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, amazing job, and beautiful ring. Wear it and enjoy!

cacaobeanie

Rough_Rock
Lol, we all do that (right?):lol:

Your recut is fab!! We naturally are going to require more pictures. And what’s this second purchase? We need pics of that too! Great find!!

Haha, glad I’m not alone! I’ve tried to take a few shots but whether it’s through my lack of skill or lack of a decent camera they came out dull and do my diamond no justice.

Here’s a pic of my other find at auction, approx 1.6 carat old cut ring. I did start a new thread about it because I wasn’t sure if the setting was original or not.

CD1A0B13-E427-4ED1-953D-DFCEFBB01C71.jpeg

greekmike

Rough_Rock

Hello there I know it’s an old thread but where did you take it to be repolished? I’m in the UK looking for someone to do some work for me. Thanks

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Love this! I'm just now catching up on the whole story. I was going to ask, did you contact the seller about the chip? Because even though you wanted to keep it, I hope they at least gave you a discount.

greekmike

Rough_Rock

Howdy there. Thank you for the recommendation. These dudes recently repolished my antique cut diamond, a job that was difficult to do. They did an amazing job and I’m so happy

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results