shape
carat
color
clarity

Help from someone good with designs apps - mold arrived

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Hi. The DK mold arrived and I love the modified dahlia head but not the band. B18D8E65-0CF6-4BE3-8853-379848C84C70.jpeg 588B3BAF-76BB-413E-B9F9-5100A5EE770D.jpeg
I realized that the band is too dainty for my lifestyle ( didn’t help that it broke within 10 minutes of me wearing it ). So I need help designing a new band that will be sturdy, look beautiful and compliment the dahlia head. The band will be in yellow gold.
Here is where I need help. I love some of these bands below but not sure how they will look with the dahlia head. Is anyone good at graphic design type apps and can help me PLEASE?
DC6EEC6C-8F74-411F-B6AD-324B5B1D5D88.png CB0FF443-C2C5-4F3B-9954-8737EA8C6555.jpeg CB0FF443-C2C5-4F3B-9954-8737EA8C6555.jpeg AC2C447D-6908-4AC0-BB0C-76D71D98C675.jpeg 03930BA4-62BF-4F89-8FB3-5FDA42CDBA14.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you plan to wear with the sepkus band it might be cool to explore that type of style for the shank of this ring

elizat

Ideal_Rock
If you want to combine two CVB styles, which some of the bands that you're referencing are, I would go to her directly.

The Dahlia is her design and the bands that you are using is inspiration for some of these shanks are also hers.

It makes the most sense to go to the designer that created those items, rather than another person.

Also, for what it's worth, having a band with decorative stones, and decorative elements is not going to make it a stronger ring. You would be better off increasing the width and depth of the shank on the ring, rather than actually using a design that has less metal and less strength, because of the decorative elements and the diamonds.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
If you want to combine two CVB styles, which some of the bands that you're referencing are, I would go to her directly.

The Dahlia is her design and the bands that you are using is inspiration for some of these shanks are also hers.

It makes the most sense to go to the designer that created those items, rather than another person.
Hi. This is the modified version from DK. He has done this style band ( and wedding band)for other ps-ers. I preferred his version of the design hence my choice to go to him. The other wedding bands are inspiration pictures. Also, I tried contacting cvb by multiple avenues and never heard back from her. I have attached the original ps threads for reference so you can see his designs.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
If you plan to wear with the sepkus band it might be cool to explore that type of style for the shank of this ring

I would love to be able to wear it with the band but worry that the styles may not match - with dahlia being more dainty/feminine for that style of band B8EF3E0E-F6A3-431B-BFF9-91AFBC1DBD2D.jpeg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Hi. This is the modified version from DK. He has done this style band ( and wedding band)for other ps-ers. I preferred his version of the design hence my choice to go to him. The other wedding bands are inspiration pictures. Also, I tried contacting cvb by multiple avenues and never heard back from her. I have attached the original ps threads for reference so you can see his designs.

I think everyone has different views, but Caysie is usually reachable by text or Instagram. I'm sorry you had issues reaching her, but I really don't like when another vendor takes someone else's design work and offers it, bypassing the designer. I understand he has tweaked things at customer requests, but to me, it was her design that they are using. I know people may disagree and that's okay. It's not directed at you, it's directed at another vendor using another's design.

I would still say that a band with french cuts/baguettes/decorative elements will not make it stronger or feel sturdier. If you want it to feel stronger and more of a work horse, I'd widen the band width and/or depth so it's "heftier." You can keep the taper, but change the dimensions.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure the plastic mold breaking now is indicative of the final ring being not sturdy? I think that’s what you are saying, unless I’m mistaken?
Can you provide the cad that shows the measurements of the current shank?

increasing the width of the existing shank but keeping the taper % the same is a good option.

I agree changing to accent stones or design in the band doesn’t necessarily increase sturdiness. But by all means go from plain shank to decorated shank if that’s what your heart desires.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I think everyone has different views, but Caysie is usually reachable by text or Instagram. I'm sorry you had issues reaching her, but I really don't like when another vendor takes someone else's design work and offers it, bypassing the designer. I understand he has tweaked things at customer requests, but to me, it was her design that they are using. I know people may disagree and that's okay. It's not directed at you, it's directed at another vendor using another's design.

I would still say that a band with french cuts/baguettes/decorative elements will not make it stronger or feel sturdier. If you want it to feel stronger and more of a work horse, I'd widen the band width and/or depth so it's "heftier." You can keep the taper, but change the dimensions.
I agree with you that they will not make it stronger. I’m just drawn by their beauty but I guess I have to wait until my lifestyle changes for that ( kids grow up a bit ). I saw this other vintage setting that I like but thought it may be too plain. 571713F1-F8AA-4957-8B55-78852EEB78B0.png 571713F1-F8AA-4957-8B55-78852EEB78B0.png

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I’m not sure the plastic mold breaking now is indicative of the final ring being not sturdy? I think that’s what you are saying, unless I’m mistaken?
Can you provide the cad that shows the measurements of the current shank?

increasing the width of the existing shank but keeping the taper % the same is a good option.

I agree changing to accent stones or design in the band doesn’t necessarily increase sturdiness. But by all means go from plain shank to decorated shank if that’s what your heart desires.

It was not because of the mold breaking but rather of how thin the band was in real life. See the casa attached. There is supposed to be milgrain and engraving on it but they don’t show on the cad. 2A114E31-5BC5-4B4F-96A9-AA0DC79AE4E3.jpeg 2A114E31-5BC5-4B4F-96A9-AA0DC79AE4E3.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was not because of the mold breaking but rather of how thin the band was in real life. See the casa attached. There is supposed to be milgrain and engraving on it but they don’t show on the cad. 2A114E31-5BC5-4B4F-96A9-AA0DC79AE4E3.jpeg 2A114E31-5BC5-4B4F-96A9-AA0DC79AE4E3.jpeg

From the CADs and molds I feel like part of the problem is that the taper is REALLY extreme so the band looks super super thin at the top (where it connects to the head). Could DK make it less extreme so the band is still moderately substantial at the top? I think that would help a lot.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you have 3mm on the bottom tapering to ?? by the basket? Reduce or remove the taper to make it less delicate and you’d be looking at a 3mm shank which is reasonably solid. It looks like it’s 1.8-2mm deep too so if you wanted a bit more heft, get that increased too?
Personally to be able to have more flexibility with bands, I wouldn’t put engraving or designs along the shank especially if the bands you want to wear it with are quite detailed like the first one you show.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Agree with @lovedogs

Taper is very slim, lessening it may help. The band is not that slim overall though. You can make the overall band a bit heftier, but 2 mm going to 3 at the back isn't a super delicate band.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dhimer My last design with DK I had him make my shank round all the way around and boy does it feel luxe and smooth and sturdy. Perhaps up the width and have him make it fully rounded?
I’m also afraid if you add designs to this shank that it may limit the bands you find complimentary with it.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
From the CADs and molds I feel like part of the problem is that the taper is REALLY extreme so the band looks super super thin at the top (where it connects to the head). Could DK make it less extreme so the band is still moderately substantial at the top? I think that would help a lot.

Will ask for those changes. Thank you

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
So you have 3mm on the bottom tapering to ?? by the basket? Reduce or remove the taper to make it less delicate and you’d be looking at a 3mm shank which is reasonably solid. It looks like it’s 1.8-2mm deep too so if you wanted a bit more heft, get that increased too?
Personally to be able to have more flexibility with bands, I wouldn’t put engraving or designs along the shank especially if the bands you want to wear it with are quite detailed like the first one you show.

What should I get the depth increased too? Most of the bands I have and wear are detailed - most are vintage engraved ones. But somehow a plain shank feels naked. Maybe something like this could also work you think ( middle ring ) FC65768E-F1F5-445A-85B7-0B6BA0C79773.png

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
@dhimer My last design with DK I had him make my shank round all the way around and boy does it feel luxe and smooth and sturdy. Perhaps up the width and have him make it fully rounded?
I’m also afraid if you add designs to this shank that it may limit the bands you find complimentary with it.

I’m having a hard time visualizing what fully rounded looks like. Could you please upload a picture?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What should I get the depth increased too? Most of the bands I have and wear are detailed - most are vintage engraved ones. But somehow a plain shank feels naked. Maybe something like this could also work you think ( middle ring ) FC65768E-F1F5-445A-85B7-0B6BA0C79773.png

I think scattered diamonds (like the middle option here) would look nice. Engraving is also lovely, but it does limit band combinations.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something else to consider, with designs and diamonds on the band it could become more complicated if you ever have to resize. That’s something to ask about.

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock

This. It also looks like you removed the cathedral that D&T and others typically had with this design. I don't know what the taper is at the top, but it looks thin. But a width of 3 mm at the bottom definitely isn't dainty. If I recall, @D&T's was only 2mm at the bottom, and I know that others that have done this design (@ringbling17 ) have had tapers at the top down to 1.7mm, with larger stones, and they haven't had any problems.

I'm currently working with David on a similar ring, and debating between 2.0 mm all around, or 2.5mm at the bottom tapering to 2.0mm at the top. I'm not worried at all about sturdiness, or it feeling too dainty.

Something else to consider, with designs and diamonds on the band it could become more complicated if you ever have to resize. That’s something to ask about.

If you leave the bottom of the band plain (e.g the designs and diamonds don't go all the way around), you should be able to resize.

Another thing to consider. While the band on your e-ring may feel plain or dainty on its own, you might not feel the same way once it's paired with a wedding band (or two).

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Ladies I think I found the one. I kept looking at vendors that sell actual antique pieces and saw this beauty ( that has since sold). So I will be asking DK to place the dahlia head ( in unplated white gold) on this band in 18k yellow gold. I’m thinking of either doing 2.5mm all over or one that is 3 mm at the bottom with gradual taper to 2.4-2.5 at the head 43A6BA47-243F-4793-851A-AEADC945DE19.jpeg F0D4157E-6CE6-421D-BD57-125A756F24E9.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like this idea.
Do you have a side view of this ring?
Does what looks like a slight cathedral appeal to you?
It also looks like there’s maybe milgraining on the shank as well- or at least the extra part, I think there’s a name for it but don’t know, like it looks like a separate piece on the inner shank lining - I like it!
I think DK has wheat engraved shanks on his Instagram, if you are particular about the difference in detail, be sure to show him and mention it.

Last edited:

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I really like this idea.
Do you have a side view of this ring?
Does what looks like a slight cathedral appeal to you?
It also looks like there’s maybe milgraining on the shank as well- or at least the extra part, I think there’s a name for it but don’t know, like it looks like a separate piece on the inner shank lining - I like it!
I think DK has wheat engraved shanks on his Instagram, if you are particular about the difference in detail, be sure to show him and mention it.

This is the closest thing I could find for a side view. It does look like there is some milgrain on the shank which I kind of like. I just wanted to find something that will go with the dahlia head and be sturdy. Visually I keep getting drawn to the delicate/thinner bands but I know I can’t wear those right now. Will go look at his IG and see what other similar bands he has done 20A15BB6-1F10-4DF7-8E27-ABE7682D7536.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don’t you tell DK your concerns and ask him what he recommends? He has agreed to craft your ring, and therefore he has accepted responsibility for creating a mind-clean design for you - allow him to do the job he signed up for.

Edit: Most unplated WG alloys have a greenish cast that most YG alloys do not. Depending on how colour-sensitive you are, you may want to have sample bars sent out.

Last edited:

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Why don’t you tell DK your concerns and ask him what he recommends? He has agreed to craft your ring, and therefore he has accepted responsibility for creating a mind-clean design for you - allow him to do the job he signed up for.

Edit: Most unplated WG alloys have a greenish cast that most YG alloys do not. Depending on how colour-sensitive you are, you may want to have sample bars sent out.

I did contact him Friday and still waiting for response. He has been great so far and I have no doubt he will do all he can.
I didn’t realize that wg will have that green tint. I just really hate platinum and not super fan of the maintenance and super shine of plated wg. I saw some comparisons pics here on ps of unplated wg and it seemed more ivory/creamy (see attached). Will ask DK what his mix looks like DE97B61F-C776-46C9-AAF6-4BD18F52E8D9.png B7994ADB-F6C2-4845-BA9D-1AC7D8ADF7DF.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ladies I think I found the one. I kept looking at vendors that sell actual antique pieces and saw this beauty ( that has since sold). So I will be asking DK to place the dahlia head ( in unplated white gold) on this band in 18k yellow gold.
I will echo @elizat and recommend you speak with a designer. I believe DK has one on staff, yes? (Amy).

Wheat engraving is a hallmark of Edwardian and Art Deco design. The flowing, open, fluid lines of the Dahlia head (Caysie's original and DK's modification) lack all seminal characteristics of early 20th century enclosed geometry, angularity, and proximal repeatability. Dahlia is... My first instinct is Rococo-inspired. A much earlier time period. I honestly think that the Dahlia head on a wheat engraved band will look very mismatched, visually - the evolution between these styles spanned almost a hundred years and they reflect different aesthetics.

You might note that all Caysie's pieces maintain era-specific design elements - this is not accidental.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did contact him Friday and still waiting for response. He has been great so far and I have no doubt he will do all he can.
I didn’t realize that wg will have that green tint. I just really hate platinum and not super fan of the maintenance and super shine of plated wg. I saw some comparisons pics here on ps of unplated wg and it seemed more ivory/creamy (see attached). Will ask DK what his mix looks like DE97B61F-C776-46C9-AAF6-4BD18F52E8D9.png B7994ADB-F6C2-4845-BA9D-1AC7D8ADF7DF.png
The second screenshot, with bands labelled A/B/C/D/E - that is my post, and those are my rings.

I have a great many unplated WG pieces in many different alloys and karats. Almost all Ni alloys err green compared to pure whites and yellows in most lighting environments. Unless DK has access to custom formulations - his standard stuff most likely will. I am very colour-sensitive, however; others may not care or notice.

Last edited:

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I will echo @elizat and recommend you speak with a designer. I believe DK has one on staff, yes? (Amy).

Wheat engraving is a hallmark of Edwardian and Art Deco design. The flowing, open, fluid lines of the Dahlia head (Caysie's original and DK's modification) lack all seminal characteristics of early 20th century enclosed geometry, angularity, and proximal repeatability. Dahlia is... My first instinct is Rococo-inspired. A much earlier time period. I honestly think that the Dahlia head on a wheat engraved band will look very mismatched, visually - the evolution between these styles spanned almost a hundred years and they reflect different aesthetics.

You might note that all Caysie's pieces maintain era-specific design elements - this is not accidental.

I was afraid of them not matching. I tried to do a hatch job on an app. DE0134DC-4751-4DF6-A76B-BDD9CE0BF26A.jpeg
Back to the drawing board I go. I may just end up with a “simple” engraved one ( flowers or scroll) and keep it until I upgrade my diamond

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Wheat engraving is a hallmark of Edwardian and Art Deco design. The flowing, open, fluid lines of the Dahlia head (Caysie's original and DK's modification) lack all seminal characteristics of early 20th century geometry, angularity, and proximal repeatability. Dahlia is... My first instinct is Rococo-inspired. A much earlier time period. I honestly think that the Dahlia head on a wheat engraved band will look very mismatched - the evolution between these styles spanned almost a hundred years.

That was my first response too...I also love wheat engraving. I wanted a wheat engraved wedding band but it made no sense with my sleek, modern e-ring...because it is harkening to a very particular time. Scrollwork style engravings - like lace, curls, or other organic floral motifs I think would stylistically be more harmonious with the Dalia head

I wonder if you should see it with the shank thickened, cast, and next to your wedding (since you want something more detailed) that will be helpful

You can always add engraving later if it isn't quite living up to your expectations.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
That was my first response too...I also love wheat engraving. I wanted a wheat engraved wedding band but it made no sense with my sleek, modern e-ring...because it is harkening to a very particular time. Scrollwork style engravings - like lace, curls, or other organic floral motifs I think would stylistically be more harmonious with the Dalia head

I wonder if you should see it with the shank thickened, cast, and next to your wedding (since you want something more detailed) that will be helpful

You can always add engraving later if it isn't quite living up to your expectations.

I think you are right, it will work best with flower/scroll type. 81CFF807-6286-4E21-9338-63B8AB2CD6EC.jpeg 6C0A678A-2D3C-4D85-86F7-0BD08684FEF6.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results