shape
carat
color
clarity

Help for Alexandrite engagement ring

Ale88

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a round Alexandrite for an engagement ring, I went to a few jewellers near my home town (I'm from Italy) but none of them had Alexandrite, only diamonds.

I searched online and I found few European websites which could provide the ring too, and until now I found only this gem:

alexandrit_rund.jpg

For the moment I have these info:
- Approx 4.72 mm;
- Approx 0.41 ct;
- Price: 2.135 euro (in dollars is pretty much the same).

I have no experience at all about gems, so I really need help :tongue:

Before I wrote in the wrong topic and I've already got this answer, which is a bad news for me:
Chrono|1448387096|3953609 said:
I am not going to say anything about the colour because I don't know how accurate it is but the cut is so atrocious that around 80% of the crown area will be dead (no sparkle or brilliance) except for the very edges.
Is it really that bad?

Do you have any suggestion for reputable websites where I could look for round Alexandrite? European or US are both fine.

Thanks a lot guys!
Regards
Ale

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ale,
Welcome to PS! :wavey:

Sadly I do think it is pretty badly cut, so I think I would give up on it if I were you. I know that multicoulor.com has some Alex stones, but I dont know enough about them to recommend any in particular. Maybe some of the experts here can provide more advice, but that might be a good place to start, especially since they are nice and seem obliging when people ask for more photos, info, etc.

Ale88

Rough_Rock
lovedogs|1448400475|3953709 said:
Hi Ale,
Welcome to PS! :wavey:
Thank you lovedogs! ;-)

Sadly I do think it is pretty badly cut, so I think I would give up on it if I were you.
Ok, so you already are the second person who tells me that's a bad cut, I will listen to you guys ;-)

I know that multicoulor.com has some Alex stones
I'm checking out the website, they actually have a lot of Alexandrite stones!
But do they ship from Thailand? Because in this case there would be the customs problem :knockout:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that what it looks like in real life? The color??

If it is, be honest, do you like that color. When you look at it, is it an attractive color, ignoring everything else?
And yes it is poorly cut

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
I've seen 1 in person. While it looked pretty good, it sometimes looked brown. It was Brazilian i think, went from a teal color to a purple red. It was .87ct round cut and i think the price was 3800.

I think you really need to see the stone in person, because top quality color change and color could be $50,000 per carat. Also, i wouldn't touch anything without a TOP quality lab report. There are people who thought they had a alexandrite from 50 years ago as a family heirloom, and it was nothing more than a fake.

Hope this tad bit help's your search.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 2 ct Indian Alexandrite came from multicolour, and I was very pleased with the gem, color, dealing with them, shipping, etc (to the states). I learned about MC from this forum, but more importantly I learned a LOT about alexandrite from this forum. It's not a gem you buy willy nilly. Do your research, read the suggested threads on Alex and colored stone buying first, and ask questions, like you are doing with this thread. Good luck! :wavey:

Excellent read: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/[/URL]

Ale88

Rough_Rock
Niel|1448409870|3953758 said:
Is that what it looks like in real life? The color??
I don't know, I only have that picture for the moment, I found that gem online. Anyway doesn't matter, you too told me it's poorly cut so I gave up on it ;-)

Jajabis|1448410677|3953764 said:
Also, i wouldn't touch anything without a TOP quality lab report.
It makes absolutely sense, the problem is finding an Alexandrite in Italy, I only found poor quality gems on Italian websites, and I went to some jewellers too but none of them had Alexandrite, this is why I'm looking online.
Btw do you know multicolour.com? Are they reliable about what they say?

JoCoJenn|1448416204|3953798 said:
My 2 ct Indian Alexandrite came from multicolour, and I was very pleased with the gem, color, dealing with them, shipping, etc (to the states).
May I ask you if you sent the gem to some US laboratory to check the quality? And also how much you paid to the customs?

It's not a gem you buy willy nilly. Do your research, read the suggested threads on Alex and colored stone buying first, and ask questions, like you are doing with this thread. Good luck! :wavey:
Yep, I'm realizing it's more complicate than I though :tongue:
And I really appreciate your help guys! That thread is how I got here, thanks Google :bigsmile:

Niel|1448416542|3953802 said:
You're right you'd have to pay a vat
Do you know how much more or less on a 2.000-2.500 dollars gem?

That's really nice, especially the color change! But the problem is that I'm looking for a round gem because the ring would be with bypass style, something like this (kinda modern style):
bypass_ring.png
So I need a round gem, which, of course, is pretty uncommon :knockout:
I found only these 3 round gems for the moment:
1) http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/yax750aa/&930512007 dimension is fine but it has a weak color change;
2) http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/yax746aa/&930512007 moderate color change, I'd like something more;
3) http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/yax740ae/&930512007 strong color change, but unfortunately it's very small.

So I guess I have to wait or ask them if they can find something else.
I looked also for the oval gems (there are a lot) but I'm not sure if that shape would fit well in the above ring :think:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may want to be open to other shapes as you're looking for a rare gem and a quality one.... No reason to exclude a perfectly good stone. You can fit lots of shapes in that style

Ale88

Rough_Rock
Niel|1448450241|3953973 said:
You can fit lots of shapes in that style
Any suggestion? =)

Ale88

Rough_Rock
Niel|1448451960|3953979 said:
Take a look at the gia cert in the bottom right of the gem

You could set it horizontally in a mention setting. Very modern. ::)
Mmm I don't like a lot the shape of the ring, it's too classic ;-)
I know matching the ring and the gem I'm looking for is not the easiest thing in the world, but I decided the ring shape together with my girlfriend, after a looong selection, so it must be bypass style :angel:

Do you guys know any other website besides multicolour.com? Maybe something in the US?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ale88|1448452810|3953980 said:
Niel|1448451960|3953979 said:
Take a look at the gia cert in the bottom right of the gem

You could set it horizontally in a mention setting. Very modern. ::)
Mmm I don't like a lot the shape of the ring, it's too classic ;-)
I know matching the ring and the gem I'm looking for is not the easiest thing in the world, but I decided the ring shape together with my girlfriend, after a looong selection, so it must be bypass style :angel:

Do you guys know any other website besides multicolour.com? Maybe something in the US?

The top is classic?! Are you sure you're looking at it? It's got an angle to it.

Regardless. Settlwbin for the long haul. The more parameters you have the longer finding the right stone takes

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might want to consider this jewler for a setting: http://www.boonerings.com/stone.htm,, since he has bypass styles that are modern and (I think) can be made for multiple stone shapes. That way you wouldn't have to find a round stone. Just something to think about, since as Neil said the mkre parameters you have the harder the search will be.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
You can definitely use other shapes in bypass style rings, limiting yourself to round will make the search much more challenging.

bypass1.png

bypass7.jpg

bypass4.jpg

bypass5.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you ever seen an alexandrite in person? Unless it is a top quality stone, it is usually very underwhelming, often times appearing muddy in mixed lighting. Rarely does one see the full blue green or the full reddish purple side unless worn specifically under controlled lighting.

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?470285075
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1179825396
I'm thinking the darkness is from the camera obstruction when trying to get close to the stone to photograph it.

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1448456520|3953993 said:
Have you ever seen an alexandrite in person? Unless it is a top quality stone, it is usually very underwhelming, often times appearing muddy in mixed lighting. Rarely does one see the full blue green or the full reddish purple side unless worn specifically under controlled lighting.

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?470285075
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1179825396
I'm thinking the darkness is from the camera obstruction when trying to get close to the stone to photograph it.

THIS! I'd call around to all the jewelry shops around you and ask if they have a natural alexandrite, just remember it shouldn't be cheap and should have a lab report with it. This is just to actually see what these stone's look like.

Alexandrite isn't cheap, and the stones you put link's too are very small. If you're comparing them to diamonds by CT weight, you're off by about 14% +/- 1%. Remember to go by width x depth for size and not the CT weight.

This just comparing round cut sizes:

.40ct size diamond = .46ct size alexandrite
.50ct size diamond = .57ct size alexandrite
.75ct size diamond = .86ct size alexandrite
1.00ct diamond = 1.14ct size alexandrite
1.50ct diamond = 1.71ct size alexandrite

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jajabis|1448464964|3954022 said:
Alexandrite isn't cheap, and the stones you put link's too are very small.

Because they are the only ones within budget. The rest are at least $5K to $8K for round alexandrite in the 5 to 6 mm range.

Ale88

Rough_Rock
Niel|1448453099|3953982 said:
The more parameters you have the longer finding the right stone takes
I know, and I know I'm complicated and stubborn, but I'm not in a hurry so I still have various months to find the gem and the ring :bigsmile:

lovedogs|1448455108|3953985 said:
You might want to consider this jewler for a setting: http://www.boonerings.com/stone.htm,,,, since he has bypass styles that are modern and (I think) can be made for multiple stone shapes. That way you wouldn't have to find a round stone. Just something to think about, since as Neil said the mkre parameters you have the harder the search will be.
Mmm that's quite interesting but I've never heard about Titanium rings, is something "normal"?

carmen1|1448456358|3953991 said:
You can definitely use other shapes in bypass style rings, limiting yourself to round will make the search much more challenging.
Thanks for the pictures, I'll show them to my girlfriend and we'll see :shifty:

Chrono|1448456520|3953993 said:
Not yet because none of the jewellers I went to had Alexandrite. But since my name is Alessandro and my girlfriend's name is Alejandra (Italian and Spanish version of Alexander) you can guess why I decided for this gem, and when I explained to my girlfriend, who had never heard about it, she really liked my idea =)

Jajabis|1448464964|3954022 said:
THIS! I'd call around to all the jewelry shops around you and ask if they have a natural alexandrite, just remember it shouldn't be cheap and should have a lab report with it. This is just to actually see what these stone's look like.
In a couple of weeks I'll have a few days off and I'll go to Milan hoping to find a jewellery with Alexandrite ;-)

Alexandrite isn't cheap, and the stones you put link's too are very small.
Yeah I know, those are too small, I have to wait, I think I'll e-mail them to check if they will get something new.

If you're comparing them to diamonds by CT weight, you're off by about 14% +/- 1%. Remember to go by width x depth for size and not the CT weight.

This just comparing round cut sizes:

.40ct size diamond = .46ct size alexandrite
.50ct size diamond = .57ct size alexandrite
.75ct size diamond = .86ct size alexandrite
1.00ct diamond = 1.14ct size alexandrite
1.50ct diamond = 1.71ct size alexandrite
Thanks for the advise!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A tension set is probably the trickiest and riskiest of setting styles. I would think twice before using a beautiful, expensive alexandrite in one.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With alexandrite especially make sure you ask for lots of handshots in different lighting situations. It won't hurt to ask to ask for a shot of it at its worst so you are prepared. This is often in mixed lighting.

Ale88

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1448467881|3954047 said:
I don't think you can get a larger stone within your budget. Something has to be sacrificed.
My target is to find a small-medium size gem, like 0,42-0,45 mm (so something like 0.35 cts) with a good color change, paying around 2.000 dollars, do you think it's possible?
It should be a mix if this size and this color change :think:

Niel|1448468671|3954052 said:
Do you guys know this website, Pearlman's? Here there are some interesting gems, but unfortunately many of them don't have the picture (why?!) and those with the picture don't specify if the gem has a weak/average/strong color change...

Lady_Disdain|1448468750|3954053 said:
A tension set is probably the trickiest and riskiest of setting styles. I would think twice before using a beautiful, expensive alexandrite in one.
I realized only later, the concept is very interesting but you're right, I don't wanna risk.
I spoke again with my girlfriend, be both agree the best shape for us is this one: link 1 and link 2.
DO you know how they place the gem inside this kind of ring? I mean, are the rings all the same and then they modify the space for the gem according the gem size or the ring is made in different sizes to fit the gem? I don't know if I clearly explained myself :oops:

ilovegemstones|1448472721|3954078 said:
With alexandrite especially make sure you ask for lots of handshots in different lighting situations. It won't hurt to ask to ask for a shot of it at its worst so you are prepared. This is often in mixed lighting.
Thanks for the advise ;))

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ale88|1448441080|3953946 said:
May I ask you if you sent the gem to some US laboratory to check the quality? And also how much you paid to the customs?

I did not, but I will likely send to AGL if/when I decide to change the setting, which I am mulling over. :think:

I don't think we paid any customs fees because it was a loose gem vs set (IIRC), but did have to pay state import tax. The shipping carrier (fedex) reports it to the state.

ETA - it came with a cert when I bought it, and MC is pretty reputable so I wasn't worried about it being a sim (maybe that was naive on my part in hindsight) but I haven't heard or read of anything shady from MC.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1448468750|3954053 said:

That's true, and definitely wise advice. I was hoping to give the OP some confidence that maybe he didn't have to stick with round, but you are right that a bypass style that isn't tension is much safer :)

EDIT: I realized just now when I went to post this: http://www.davidwein.com/jewelry/alexandrite-and-white-gold-ring-00111584/overview/52002435-the-tsar-s-treasure/20/0 that Chrono had already suggested it. Do you think you might be able to email them and ask if they have a stone in your size range that they could put in that ring style? Because that's essentially exactly what you've been wanting.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This vendor gets their gemstones from a vendor called gem2000

There are numerous vendors that use this wholesaler, I suggested from him though because he has the cheapest prices for that vendor that I have found.

Be also sells settings like the one you're looking for.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ale88: I love the reason behind wanting an alexandrite as well as your determination. There are so many reasons (largely already elucidated by others posters) why this will be a challenging search. But it sounds like you have time and are up for the challenge. You will need to do your homework to determine what your import costs and taxes will be; I would not rely on the experiences of other PSers for that information, as it seems complicated and ever changing (and predicated on so many micro-details that change with every circumstance).

There was another PSer who came wanting to make an engagement ring with, if I remember correctly, color change garnet and alexandrite. I thought he was trying to build the impossible because sourcing such stones is difficult, and because he wanted to combine two color change stone types, which (I thought) would narrow the likelihood of the stones looking good as a group at any one time. But the ring he made looked beautiful and I ate my words! So I tell you this because there are some legitimate reasons that this will be a difficult task, but if you are up for the challenge, willing to take the time, do the research, and pay the price, you should be able to find something. :))

Now my disclaimer: alexandrites are a funny beast. While they do have color extremes, they are often in mixed lighting and land somewhere in the middle. Sometimes, its amazing to watch the stone's confusion, as it has both colorways going, flashing bits of each color. But sometimes, this middle ground just reads as a nondescript, odd color. I will attach pics of my stone, so you can see both colorways, as well as its "confused" middle color that happens when its in mixed lighting. First pic is daylight, second two are night, last is confusion! :lol:

alex_daylight_11-01-14_3.jpg

alex_night_1_11-01-14_2.jpg

alex_night_2_11-01-14_3.jpg

alex_in_sun_11-01-14_3.jpg

Ale88

Rough_Rock
JoCoJenn|1448494143|3954217 said:
ETA - it came with a cert when I bought it, and MC is pretty reputable so I wasn't worried about it being a sim (maybe that was naive on my part in hindsight) but I haven't heard or read of anything shady from MC.
Well, at least that's a good news!

lovedogs|1448496124|3954231 said:
EDIT: I realized just now when I went to post this: http://www.davidwein.com/jewelry/alexandrite-and-white-gold-ring-00111584/overview/52002435-the-tsar-s-treasure/20/0 that Chrono had already suggested it. Do you think you might be able to email them and ask if they have a stone in your size range that they could put in that ring style? Because that's essentially exactly what you've been wanting.
I actually though about that but the ring style is slightly different from the one we want :angel:

mochiko42|1448499783|3954246 said:
I see it's already gone :bigsmile:
Anyway I prefer the faceted ones ;))

minousbijoux|1448504791|3954262 said:
Ale88: I love the reason behind wanting an alexandrite as well as your determination. There are so many reasons (largely already elucidated by others posters) why this will be a challenging search. But it sounds like you have time and are up for the challenge.
Thanks a lot for the nice words, really appreciate that! ;))

You will need to do your homework to determine what your import costs and taxes will be; I would not rely on the experiences of other PSers for that information, as it seems complicated and ever changing (and predicated on so many micro-details that change with every circumstance).
I'll look for some info about import costs, otherwise if are quite high I could wait for my parents to go Thailand on holiday, in a few months :bigsmile:

Now my disclaimer: alexandrites are a funny beast. While they do have color extremes, they are often in mixed lighting and land somewhere in the middle. Sometimes, its amazing to watch the stone's confusion, as it has both colorways going, flashing bits of each color. But sometimes, this middle ground just reads as a nondescript, odd color. I will attach pics of my stone, so you can see both colorways, as well as its "confused" middle color that happens when its in mixed lighting. First pic is daylight, second two are night, last is confusion! :lol:
Thanks a lot for the pictures!! The color(s) of your gem looks insane to me!
Did you get it online or in a jewelry store?

In the meantime I wrote to Multicolour and they told me they should receive new Alexandrite gems around end of February-March 2016.
At the moment the only one I really like is this one, I'm just not so sure about the size, I've checked one of my mum's rings with a 4,5mm diamond and it's ok, that gem is 4,05, I understand we are talking about half millimetre, which could seem ridiculous, but maybe it's better to wait a few months and see the new gems they're gonna receive.
I checked the affordable gems on Pearlman's and pretty much they all have a 4mm length, just like the one I like.
I'm really unsure about what to do :think:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results