shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Finding Dark Gray Pear

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
I’ve been completely stumped trying to find myself a nice dark gray pear stone for a new ring I’ve been dreaming of. Wanting to do a halo with pave.

Looking for something between 1 - 3 ct. Budget around 1k (flexible if it’s something really nice). I’m thinking spinel but if anyone has other suggestions I’m open!

I’m a bit picky about the undertones. I do like something that is on the darker side but do not want strong red or blue undertones. Here are some examples I really liked!! Would this color be considered common, or hard to find? I’m debating on getting the first linked stone below but I reallyyyyyy want a pear and I think it might be a little too large with a halo. Any thoughts?

Bottom row, 2nd & 3rd from left.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
These look to be dark grey with a purple tone, is that what you’re looking for? I think the first one is bound to look black once set.

I love the grey spinels I see on Haydenfred Gems’ IG, but that’s because I like medium grey with a clean or silvery tone.

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
These look to be dark grey with a purple tone, is that what you’re looking for? I think the first one is bound to look black once set.

I love the grey spinels I see on Haydenfred Gems’ IG, but that’s because I like medium grey with a clean or silvery tone.

I kind of see how they pull a bit purple. I’m looking for something more neutral undertoned if that is even a thing lol.

Good to know the one I liked is a little too dark. When set I want it to look like a very dark gray/almost black. Do you think these would be around that color when set?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you ask those vendors if they had that color in a pear? I don’t believe that color/tone should be expensive either, but I haven’t priced grey spinels.

Spinels are probably the best species in terms of a nice grey stone.

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Did you ask those vendors if they had that color in a pear? I don’t believe that color/tone should be expensive either, but I haven’t priced grey spinels.

Spinels are probably the best species in terms of a nice grey stone.

Yes have messaged them but I didn’t find anything appealing. Wondering if pear is too rare so I’m starting to look at cushions as well. This one caught my eye until I saw the price! So pretty though. And glad you confirmed my thoughts on spinel!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe ask @Rfisher what her grey spinel looked like before setting? It is a stunning ring now and the perfect dark grey.

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Maybe ask @Rfisher what her grey spinel looked like before setting? It is a stunning ring now and the perfect dark grey.

Thank you for that reference!! Her stone is exactly what I’m looking for. It looked quite blue in low light but in every other setting was a gorgeous gray!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Yes have messaged them but I didn’t find anything appealing. Wondering if pear is too rare so I’m starting to look at cushions as well. This one caught my eye until I saw the price! So pretty though. And glad you confirmed my thoughts on spinel!

That is unbelievable!!! That dispersion is off the charts! Disco ball is an understatement!!! Makes me go weak in the knees! I vote for that one!!!! What a find!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, that is expensive, but it is large (6+ carats) and cushions are a highly desirable shape. It looks like the Hope Diamond. I saw the Hope in person and it is that grey and dark in real life.

I have several pear and trillion shaped spinels, so that’s not a rare shape, but cushions are a more likely shape in spinel due to the growth structure of the crystal. There’s tons of ovals too.

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
That is unbelievable!!! That dispersion is off the charts! Disco ball is an understatement!!! Makes me go weak in the knees! I vote for that one!!!! What a find!

I agree! I would if I could afford it!!

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that is expensive, but it is large (6+ carats) and cushions are a highly desirable shape. It looks like the Hope Diamond. I saw the Hope in person and it is that grey and dark in real life.

I have several pear and trillion shaped spinels, so that’s not a rare shape, but cushions are a more likely shape in spinel due to the growth structure of the crystal. There’s tons of ovals too.

I saw your photo in another thread! It must have been so breathtaking!

found an oval that I really like, posted photo above. I want this ring to be an evil looking ring so if not pears, maybe oval or emerald. By evil I mean something like you would see a Disney villain wearing

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this one, because it’s a medium tone, and a very dark stone won’t sparkle without bright light on it. That’s of course unless you don’t want it to always sparkle.

https://etsy.me/3efLrpY

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
I like this one, because it’s a medium tone, and a very dark stone won’t sparkle without bright light on it. That’s of course unless you don’t want it to always sparkle.

https://etsy.me/3efLrpY

Ooh that one is beautiful too! Have you purchased from this vendor before?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh that one is beautiful too! Have you purchased from this vendor before?

No, but I would look at the reviews, and it seems very affordable for the size.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too light??

I never bought from this seller either.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here a more modern cut pear shape. I would say it’s a modified shield.

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Too light??

I never bought from this seller either.

I asked for pricing for this one!

Here a more modern cut pear shape. I would say it’s a modified shield.

I think that’s a little too modern for me lol.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep us posted! Dying to see what you get. I love spinels!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would avoid #1 as it has an enormous window (an area where light passes right through the stone and doesn’t bounce back).

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
I would avoid #1 as it has an enormous window (an area where light passes right through the stone and doesn’t bounce back).

Ok will take that advice!
Video for #3 $1,000 with shipping

On another note, what do you think of this? :kiss2: $3,800 though....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The oval might be a bit deep. I wonder what it looks like from the side.

That’s a gorgeous neon pink stone!

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
The oval might be a bit deep. I wonder what it looks like from the side.

That’s a gorgeous neon pink stone!

Will ask for more videos on the oval!
Just curious, what do you think of the pricing for the pink?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will ask for more videos on the oval!
Just curious, what do you think of the pricing for the pink?

I think it’s a good price since they’re going up in value like crazy. The same color in an untreated sapphire would be three times the price.

However, I haven’t purchased spinel in ages, let alone pink spinel, so maybe someone else should comment on the price. You also have to be very careful of vendors selling synthetics as natural, so a lab report is a good idea with expensive pink spinel.

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
I think it’s a good price since they’re going up in value like crazy. The same color in an untreated sapphire would be three times the price.

However, I haven’t purchased spinel in ages, let alone pink spinel, so maybe someone else should comment on the price. You also have to be very careful of vendors selling synthetics as natural, so a lab report is a good idea with expensive pink spinel.

Thank you for your advice! The lab report is from American international gemlab.. not sure if it’s legitimate. Attaching photo of the one I got last time I ordered from them & report for the oval 0CD41D2B-29E1-46D1-8C8D-392A20D443EC.jpeg C3397081-136B-4997-8D03-B20827414D6C.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never heard of them. Is there a website where you can corroborate the report number?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results