shape
carat
color
clarity

help finding a rb! questions about Ks and faint fluorescence

fofolala

Rough_Rock
Hi folks.

First of, this site is great. As ridiculous and crazy (and in many ways trivial) the search for an e-ring diamond is, it's also quite fun. This site has been a boon towards narrowing down diamonds quickly, esp with the HCA tool. All in all, this experience has consumed the last 2 weeks of my free time, but I've enjoyed it.

I do need help, though:

i'm looking for the largest dimension (i care less about carat than actual face-up size), HCA <2, eye-clean rb for less than 12,000. Color is the biggest variable I have not yet been able to narrow down. I'm wondering if Ks will indeed look white to me. I know there are a lot of opinions on it. Does anyone know somewhere in LA that I can go to look at Ks easily without making an appointment?

the stone will be set in a white gold ring; probably a simple pave'.

I've found a loose K i like quite a lot. But I don't know how to proceed. The GIA report has slight fluorescence, but it doesnt say what color the fluorescence is. Will that affect the stone at all, given that it is faint, even if it is yellow?

Anyway, I'm happy to share the diamond with people via direct message. I know its ridiculous, but i already feel quite possessive of this stone and i would hate to see it get snapped up!

Thanks in advance to all you lovely people for your suggestions, expertise, and advice!
fofo

fofolala

Rough_Rock
Re: help finding a rb! questions about Ks and faint fluoresc

oh, there is no private-message system here! hmm. well, im sure you pros have ways around this small issue :)

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock

GIA doesn't mention fluorescence colour for faint fluorescence. Also it should say faint and not slight. If it says slight please make sure it's GIA and not IGI?

Ks are warm and appear warm to most of the people. Their warmth is pronounced when set in a white metal or compared against a higher colour.

Faint fluorescence is unlikely to cause yellowness. But check it under UV light for peace of mind. But it's not going to be much different than a none fluorescent diamond.

Also when looking to buy Ks - read upon the faint brown variants. I would avoid them. Their luster is hampered. Yellow is a bright color. Brown is inherently a dark color.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You can list the crown, pavilion, table and depths. You can post the idealscope and aset pictures (or any pictures) if you have
them. The easiest thing to do is to call and put the stone on hold and provide us with a link so we can look at all the info.

fofolala

Rough_Rock

tyty333|1464988908|4039894 said:
You can list the crown, pavilion, table and depths. You can post the idealscope and aset pictures (or any pictures) if you have
them. The easiest thing to do is to call and put the stone on hold and provide us with a link so we can look at all the info.

Duh! I dont know why i'm being so dumb about this.

Round, 2.50ct, K, SI2

CUT: Ex
POLISH: Ex
SYMMETRY: VG
Fluorescence: Faint
L/W/D (MM): 8.7mm diameter

DEPTH %: 61.70
TABLE %: 57.00
CROWN angle: 34.00
PAVILION angle: 40.80

screen_shot_2016-06-03_at_2.png

fofolala

Rough_Rock

thanks for the suggestion gr8leo87.
from the looks of it, i don't think it is brown.
it looks also from the AGSLabs that it has good complementary angles.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ask them to have their gemologist pull it and tell you about the tint. Colors are ranges. So a K can be almost a J, just a straight K, or almost an L.

If you have to buy it first to have the idealscope sent to you, and the gemologist look at it (and then they hold the stone and don't ship it until you are ready) do that.

But I have a concern on the K color. Is this for you, or for someone else. And if it is for someone else, what are their preferences?

fofolala

Rough_Rock

thanks for your insight, Gypsy. the JA "diamond inspection" chat rep was dismissive of getting an Idealscope image because the diamond was "not in the jewelry district." i'll call tomorrow and push again for both the IS and for the gemologist to give me a vote on tint. they tell me i have 48hrs to pay, but i'm not sure how you enforce that when its weekend and no bank wire transfer will happen for >72 hrs.

it's for my girlfriend. our conversations about diamonds has been mostly "i don't know what i want." maybe radiant, maybe cushion, maybe round. she doesn't think she can really even tell the difference btwn some cuts of square cushions and a round brilliant, or a set princess vs a set sq radiant. i think the likelihood that she'll notice its not ice white is low. i'm the one in the relationship with charts and graphs and data, obsessed with "getting the best possible deal."

She's more looking for sparkly!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Where you will see the color is mostly in darker lighting of soft yellow lighting. I notice it and I have an OEC which is cut such that color is hard to notice. In a MRB you will notice tint more. Nhowever if you gf doesn't notice anyway, don't worry about it. Even if she does notice she may not mind.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Does she want a really big stone?

I mean do you have to go for a 2 carat plus stone?

Is there a requirement for a certain carat weight?

fofolala

Rough_Rock

no. she doesn't necessarily. we havent really talked about it. but here are several mediocre reasons for why i got pumped about this stone:

she's got long fingers... but only a size 6 ring.

i just got really excited when i found this k that is in my price range, really big, si2 that's remarkably clean, ex/ex/vg, hca 1.1, ideal on the AGSLabs tables.

i've spent the last few days making tables upon tables of analytics with all the tools i could possibly find to apply objective measures to such a subjective game. perhaps i got carried away!

i think, in her line of work it would be reasonable and she would enjoy it. i saw her with a 1ct, and i found it quite small for her hand. i know that's a huge leap to go to 2.5 (about a 40% incr in surface area and 25% in diameter)!

perhaps i need to be redirected? am i better off with a i-color who hits all the same criteria (2.02ct, eye clean si2, ex/ex/ex, hca 1.4, ideal AGSLab chart) with medium yellow fluorescence? like this guy?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.02-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1128844
i only lose 14% of the face surface area + 2 color upgrades and save 500 bucks, but with yellow fluor?

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock

Yellow Flourescence can make a stone more yellow. It's relevant in Medium intensity. The only time yellow fluorescence will be helpful when your object is more yellow-ness. Fancy yellows. Or other fancy colours where yellow may add more character.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

How about finding a nice I o J with medium blue or strong florescense. I would not do yello fluorescence any more than the K.

Go for 1.8-2.0 carats and go up in collor.

fofolala

Rough_Rock

while we're at it, what do you think about these other two:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.81-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1113089
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.62-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1764741

also when you guys say put on hold at JA... and I ask them that, they say they don't put on hold, but that they can start the order process and i have 48hrs to pay. is that what you guys mean? is there a finesse or etiquette to switching stones that are on hold? or asking for IS?

in general, are things going to be easier with their chat system or calling?

THANK YOU for all your help :)

Edit: i saw your edit Gypsy. my K is still on hold for now, not the yellow fluor I. (really, i just need to see K's in person and see how much I care!)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Keep in mind that larger stones show more tint. So if you are looking at K's make sure they are over 7.8mm.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

fofolala|1465031133|4040064 said:
while we're at it, what do you think about these other two:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.81-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1113089
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.62-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1764741

also when you guys say put on hold at JA... and I ask them that, they say they don't put on hold, but that they can start the order process and i have 48hrs to pay. is that what you guys mean? is there a finesse or etiquette to switching stones that are on hold? or asking for IS?

in general, are things going to be easier with their chat system or calling?

THANK YOU for all your help :)

Edit: i saw your edit Gypsy. my K is still on hold for now, not the yellow fluor I. (really, i just need to see K's in person and see how much I care!)

First one isn't eyeclean.
I think you can get larger than that second one. I'll look for you.

fofolala

Rough_Rock

Thanks, Gypsy.

The last one you sent me (JA 1128844) is the same yellow fluorescent one I had asked about :whistle:
The two b2c J diamonds look great, esp the 1.8ct one. The WF diamond seems great too, but a bit pricy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Crown is lower than we recommend. It's not going to be a fiery stone and will strongly favor white light over colored.

If you can get an ideascope image and an image of the stone it might be worth pursuing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results