shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a pink sapphire ring

jumpman23j

Rough_Rock
I want to get my gf a pink sapphire ring for her bday next month and I would like it to be natural but I don't know what the price range of that would be. She loves princess cut rings but I am having trouble finding places that have what I want. And I am a newbie when it comes to sapphire rings so if anyone wants to lend their expertise than they are more than welcome. I would love some help from someone out there, thanks.

edit- My budget is around 500 or so but I guess that might not be enough for a natural sapphire but anything nice for around 500 and I would be happy. So can someone help me and suggest what is possible in my price range, thanks.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! What's your budget like? Pink sapphires can get pricey so it will help if you know how much you want to spend.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/41262032/pi ... -invisible

ETA: Not sure you'll get a natural stone (unheated, no treatment) in the cut and setting you want all for $500. How big do you want the stone?

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 602_263622

Found this listing on ebay for $450. It's not a princess cut, but it's a 3 stone ring. I think it's quite pretty. It's from The Natural Sapphire Company. They have mixed reviews here on PS, some people have had a great experience with them, others weren't thrilled.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take it your budget of $500 includes the setting? The term “natural” only means that it’s real and not man made aka synthetic. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the stone is untreated, so are you all right if it has been heated? In your price range, you probably have to make some concessions; either it has to be heated, or really small, or be a pale pink or a combination of all 3.

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
Nashville said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 602_263622

Found this listing on ebay for $450. It's not a princess cut, but it's a 3 stone ring. I think it's quite pretty. It's from The Natural Sapphire Company. They have mixed reviews here on PS, some people have had a great experience with them, others weren't thrilled.

I'm one of those that have had a good experience with them (bought an e-ring and two bands), but I wanted to point out an important fact when purchasing rings through them. While their site is blatant that their stones are untreated, you can definitely find exceptions to this rule. For example, the ring in the link above has been heat treated. They always disclose this fact, so it's important to look at the in house cert that they provide with everything. At this price range for a completed ring, I would be looking for heated stone, look for something untreated for a really special present.

I did a little looking for pink sapphires a while ago and it seems that the really hot-pink stones tend to be treated, and the natural untreated stones tend to be a little less saturated.

jumpman23j

Rough_Rock
Hmm Nashville thanks for the help that ring does seem rather nice for $450. Do you guys think that is a good price for it? Or what else would u guys suggest for around $500? I just want to get here something that is rather nice and i guess it doesn't have to be natural. Crono I guess it can be heated, what would you suggest? Thanks for the help guys.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
jumpman23j said:
Hmm Nashville thanks for the help that ring does seem rather nice for $450. Do you guys think that is a good price for it? Or what else would u guys suggest for around $500? I just want to get here something that is rather nice and i guess it doesn't have to be natural. Crono I guess it can be heated, what would you suggest? Thanks for the help guys.

For what you're looking to pay it's a good price. Solid 14k gold setting, the sapphire is heated (but finding an unheated one will be time consuming, expensive) and it's a nice size at .75ct. Plus it's 3 stone which is what you wanted and falls under budget. I think it would make a charming gift.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I think you can do better. Here is a larger stone with nice color, very affordable, and it actually has a memo from a reputable gemological lab that it's UNHEATED/UNTREATED, and it's in a squarish shape (which is what your gf likes). Does the NSC stone even have a third party memo? Sorry, I don't trust in house reports with sapphires.

This stone has a window, but should hopefully be less noticable once set. Get a 6mm cushion setting from one of the China sellers, and you've got a gorgeous and precious sapphire ring in your budget :)) .
http://cgi.ebay.com/0-95ct-CERTIFIE...emstones_1&hash=item4cf0479d2b#ht_2282wt_1137

This ring is super affordable and would definitely work. Just email the vendor the stone measurements, tell him it's for a cushion, and provide her ring size, and have a jeweler set it for you. I have at least 20 settings from this seller. I love them, and he's a breeze to customize with.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROUND-5MM-PAVE-...ViewItem&pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item335f7252f1

You can also modify this one for a cushion.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROUND-5MM-PAVE-...nd_Solitaire_with_Accents&hash=item5adb120fc0

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
Oh, I think you can do better. Here is a larger stone with nice color, very affordable, and it actually has a memo from a reputable gemological lab that it's UNHEATED/UNTREATED, and it's in a squarish shape (which is what your gf likes). Does the NSC stone even have a third party memo? Sorry, I don't trust in house reports with sapphires.

The ring has a in house cert that says the stone is heated. Unless you're implying that NSC is selling synthetic stones I would think the in house cert is enough. Sure a in house cert is useless if it says a stone is unheated, but what more exactly are you looking for if the in house cert already states that the stone is heated?

The stone from odyssey gems looks like a decent color (though kind of brown/muddy) and has the memo cert, but you know that its a complete spin of the wheel whether it's going to look like the color in real life. Based on the countless posts on this site, Odyssey Gems (and all the related sites) have a dubious record when it comes to photographing stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vinkalmann said:
tourmaline_lover said:

The ring has a in house cert that says the stone is heated. Unless you're implying that NSC is selling synthetic stones I would think the in house cert is enough. Sure a in house cert is useless if it says a stone is unheated, but what more exactly are you looking for if the in house cert already states that the stone is heated?

The stone from odyssey gems looks like a decent color (though kind of brown/muddy) and has the memo cert, but you know that its a complete spin of the wheel whether it's going to look like the color in real life. Based on the countless posts on this site, Odyssey Gems (and all the related sites) have a dubious record when it comes to photographing stones.

I would never trust an in house certificate, even if it came from the most trustworthy seller in the world, especially with corundum. Heat treatment of corundum includes surface diffusion and beryllium diffusion, not just traditional heat without diffusion, and the methods to detect that diffusion require very expensive machines that only very few labs have. I don't think NSC has this machine so how do they verify it does not have diffusion with 100% accuracy? In house certificates are a conflict of interest as far as I'm concerned. I don't see the pink sapphire cushion as muddy, but it is deemed unheated by a very reputable lab, and that means a lot to me, as someone who takes treatment very seriously. I personally would not want to be wearing a dyed stone, but a gift of color from nature. I am not accusing NSC of selling synthetic gems or be-diffused gems, but I do feel that no matter who is the vendor, the consumer should protect themself. I know we're talking a relatively small amount of money here, but the OP might care if it's a diffused (dyed) gem.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover said:
vinkalmann said:
tourmaline_lover said:

I would never trust an in house certificate, even if it came from the most trustworthy seller in the world, especially with corundum. Heat treatment of corundum includes surface diffusion and beryllium diffusion, not just traditional heat without diffusion, and the methods to detect that diffusion require very expensive machines that only very few labs have. I don't think NSC has this machine so how do they verify it does not have diffusion with 100% accuracy? In house certificates are a conflict of interest as far as I'm concerned. I don't see the pink sapphire cushion as muddy, but it is deemed unheated by a very reputable lab, and that means a lot to me, as someone who takes treatment very seriously.

I personally would not want to be wearing a dyed stone, but a gift of color from nature. I am not accusing NSC of selling synthetic gems or be-diffused gems, but I do feel that no matter who is the vendor, the consumer should protect themself. I know we're talking a relatively small amount of money here, but the OP might care if it's a diffused (dyed) gem.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, well intense discussion aside, I still think the ebay one is a pretty little ring. Some people are adamantly opposed to treatments of any kind, ever, no exceptions and will accept no substitutes for the color, certificates, lab work they are after. You should decide what is a priority for you and search until you find what works.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nashville said:
Ok, well intense discussion aside, I still think the ebay one is a pretty little ring. Some people are adamantly opposed to treatments of any kind, ever, no exceptions and will accept no substitutes for the color, certificates, lab work they are after. You should decide what is a priority for you and search until you find what works.

Nashville, I am not opposed to treatment if you're talking about me. I'm opposed to undisclosed or not fully disclosed treatment. I do agree that the OP should decide if it's okay to have an enhanced color stone, so that is why I put that information out there. I do own some treated stones myself. I have several tourmalines that are heat treated, and I do understand that treatment can make a gem more affordable. I am just not happy with undisclosed treatment. To say a sapphire is heated is not telling the whole story. It can be simply heated, or heated and dramatically altered in color with diffusion, which in essense is like dying the stone. Even simple heated stones are more valuable and desired than diffused ones, which are essentially worthless.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
Nashville said:

Nashville, I am not opposed to treatment if you're talking about me. I'm opposed to undisclosed or not fully disclosed treatment. I do agree that the OP should decide if it's okay to have an enhanced color stone, so that is why I put that information out there. I do own some treated stones myself. I have several tourmalines that are heat treated, and I do understand that treatment can make a gem more affordable. I am just not happy with undisclosed treatment. To say a sapphire is heated is not telling the whole story. It can be simply heated, or heated and dramatically altered in color with diffusion, which in essense is like dying the stone. Even simple heated stones are more valuable and desired than diffused ones, which are essentially worthless.

Huh? I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about gemstone consumers in general. I was just saying the OP should decide if he's after an unaltered stone or if heat doesn't make a difference and go from there. For some consumers, heat is not an option. For some, it doesn't make a difference. I agree with you, any and all treatment should be disclosed.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vinkalmann said:
tourmaline_lover said:

I have several gems from them that match their videos to a tee. I don't use their photos as I think they're not as accurate as the videos. I'm really happy they do use videos to showcase their gems. I wouldn't say Odysseygems record is "dubious" when it comes to their photography. Likewise, I've heard very positive comments about the color in comparison comparison to the videos. No vendor is perfect when it comes to photgraphy, even NSC, which I do believe has a dubious photography reputation here on PS.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nashville said:
tourmaline_lover said:
Nashville said:

Huh? I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about gemstone consumers in general. I was just saying the OP should decide if he's after an unaltered stone or if heat doesn't make a difference and go from there. For some consumers, heat is not an option. For some, it doesn't make a difference. I agree with you, any and all treatment should be disclosed.

Nashville, wasn't sure if you were talking about me. Thank you for clarifying.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vinkalmann,
Actually, it’s the reverse for me. It is much easier to trust and verify an in-house report that a sapphire is unheated rather than heated. It’s quite easy to find intact rutile and other unheated signs under magnification. With heated sapphires, it’s gets a little trickier to discern between “gentle” heat and “high heat” (aka diffusion) unless using very specialized equipment which are extremely expensive. Of course, this only applies to the latest diffusion treatment as the older diffusion methods are much easier to detect today. For me, having an in-house cert, even from a reputable vendor, is useless as it is a clear conflict of interest.

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
Chrono said:
Vinkalmann,
Actually, it’s the reverse for me. It is much easier to trust and verify an in-house report that a sapphire is unheated rather than heated. It’s quite easy to find intact rutile and other unheated signs under magnification. With heated sapphires, it’s gets a little trickier to discern between “gentle” heat and “high heat” (aka diffusion) unless using very specialized equipment which are extremely expensive. Of course, this only applies to the latest diffusion treatment as the older diffusion methods are much easier to detect today. For me, having an in-house cert, even from a reputable vendor, is useless as it is a clear conflict of interest.

Great point, I can definitely see how, with experience, you can do your own sleuthing at home. I guess the moral of the story is to trust nobody when it comes to treatment. I think the error of my thinking is that at the end of the day I want to be able to trust particular vendors, but this is obviously a no no. I know I would want a 3rd party cert for a more expensive stone and I think I should be more concerned with the smaller purchases as well. :oops:

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
Nashville said:

TL, you're right, I should be more concerned with the cert on stones. I think I was thinking since it was a lower cost stone that there was a higher acceptable risk. I would never accept a in house cert for something of really substantial value, but I should demand the same 3rd party certs of less expensive stones. I guess I just need to be burned a couple of times before I learn.

PS: jumpman23j, sorry about the thread jack!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vman,
It’s not that we cannot trust a particular vendor, but I like to “trust but verify” stones that are commonly treated to within an inch of its rough, namely corundum.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, Gene from Precisioncuts had remnants of material of Barringo lake ruby. And while a larger stone has definite ruby color, the smaller stone he cut for me looks like an intense pink sapphire in daylight. You may spend a little bit more than on this ring you found on ebay (although not much more; Gene is not an expensive vendor) but you'll have a very saturated stone. Provided he has any material left, of course.

colored-stones/i-just-can-not-keep-mum-t146729.html
Please pay attention to the color of the ruby in daytime. It is saturated pink. In eveningtime, it is more red. Which just underscores a thin line between a ruby and a pink sapphire, but you'll get yourself a very nice, totally untreated and inexpensive stone.

jumpman23j

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure if heated or unheated is a big deal for me but I guess I just want to get a nice ring for the money i'm spending. Thanks for the opinions from everybody. And don't worry about the thread jack because it was useful information but if theres any more reccomdations from reputable sellers than shoot because I'm considering everything at this point since her bday is not until the end of next month.

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
I don't think NSC has this machine so how do they verify it does not have diffusion with 100% accuracy? In house certificates are a conflict of interest as far as I'm concerned.

I definitely still agree that in-house certs are worthless, but it got me to thinking about how they are determining that stones aren't BE treated. I contacted them and was provided this link:

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.co ... Laboratory

They said that the LIBS machine was purchased from the AGTA Lab in NY when it went out of business.

Again, this isn't to argue that in-house certs are good (they are a conflict of interest), it's just information I learned about how they're making the claims they are when saying a stone is only heated.

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
Chrono said:
Vman,
It’s not that we cannot trust a particular vendor, but I like to “trust but verify” stones that are commonly treated to within an inch of its rough, namely corundum.

Ahhh, that's perfect "Trust but verify" :twirl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vinkalmann said:
tourmaline_lover said:
I don't think NSC has this machine so how do they verify it does not have diffusion with 100% accuracy? In house certificates are a conflict of interest as far as I'm concerned.

I definitely still agree that in-house certs are worthless, but it got me to thinking about how they are determining that stones aren't BE treated. I contacted them and was provided this link:

They said that the LIBS machine was purchased from the AGTA Lab in NY when it went out of business.

Again, this isn't to argue that in-house certs are good (they are a conflict of interest), it's just information I learned about how they're making the claims they are when saying a stone is only heated.

When they say "heated" on their certificate does that mean "heated and LIBS tested?" You see, "heated" can mean different things in the corundum world, and they should clarify their in-house cert on this matter. Do they have information relating to LIBS on their certificates.

Your link does not work by the way for me on my browser in PS2.0.

Regardless, an in-house certificate is worthless to me, but thank you for the additional information on NSC and the LIBS machine.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover said:
vinkalmann said:
tourmaline_lover said:

When they say "heated" on their certificate does that mean "heated and LIBS tested, and no foregin elements found?" You see, "heated" can mean different things in the corundum world, and they should clarify their in-house cert on this matter. Do they have information relating to LIBS on their certificates.

Your link does not work by the way for me on my browser in PS2.0.

Regardless, an in-house certificate is worthless to me, but thank you for the additional information on NSC and the LIBS machine.

jumpman23j

Rough_Rock
So you guys agree that buying from NSC isn't really a good idea? If not, are there any other reputable sellers I should look at in trying to find a nice pink sapphire ring for my gf.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jumpman - if I were you I'd get the Sapphire that TL linked you to on Ebay. The Seller is exceptionally reputable and a number of us on here (serious collectors) buy regularly from him. Out of all my purchases, I've only ever sent one thing back to him. I'd agree with TL again, that you can buy a nice setting from LOGR or Lanbo4, have the stone mounted locally and with luck, you'll have a little bit of change from your $500.

My own personal experience with NSC was not good and I find them (typically) pushy, overly expensive and I don't like their shoddy selling practices or the vile posts that their CEO has posted on here. However, that's just my opinion and of course others have theirs.

Good luck and I hope you get something lovely.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
With regard to NSC, I cannot say anything bad, but when I was shopping for my ering, I compared their prices to local jewelers, and other custom cutters and found them to exceed the price for a comparable stone than my more expensive local shop. Their website technology is very attractive and drew me in for hours looking at stones. I WANTED to like them, but the pictures of uneven cuts actually turned me off, so I did not contact them about any. Also I found the very nice recommended cutters here to be more reasonable for a better performing stone, and lots of fun to work with.

Good luck on finding just the right stone for you!

Laura

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results