shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT Help finding a diamond/setting - budget ~5k

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I've been trying to find the perfect engagement ring for my SO for about a month. During this time, I've come across a wealth of information (thanks to the help of this forum and it's members). Unfortunately, it's still a little overwhelming and I feel like I may be missing options that someone more knowledgeable than I would have considered. I know my SO's taste in jewelry fairly well and I've also taken her to a local jewelry store to try on settings and get a feel for size, shape, etc. I'm very "selective" when it comes to picking out jewelry, and that part of me has been amplified 100 fold when it comes to choosing an engagement ring. She is the most important and wonderful thing in my life and I want to give her a ring that's comparable not only in beauty, but also in value. I believe an engagement ring is an investment in the future, much like a marriage proposal. As such, I want something that will stand the test of time, so to speak. I have learned quite a bit about diamonds in a short time, but my knowledge is most likely laughable compared to some of the members on PS. So, I call out to you for help. I have a basic idea of what I want to get her and I would greatly appreciate any help received in beginning this journey. Thank you in advance for any replies. :)

For the setting:

• I would prefer a three stone mount with a round center (oval may be an alternative), preferably pave/micropave sides, with a halo around one or all three stones.

She likes a vintage-modern look, so intricate filigree work is definitely a plus. The head should not sit too high, however.

White gold or platinum for the metal with a thinner, feminine band.

For the center stone:

• I would like a good balance of the 4 C's, though cut is most important to me.

I would prefer ideal/excellent cut (possibly very good), anything up to J in color, and SI1 in clarity (eye clean)

As for carat weight, I think between 0.6-1.2 ct. would be best depending on the size of the adjacent stones and the type of halo, if any.

I would also prefer excellent symmetry/polish, if possible, and certification by either GIA or AGS

Fluorescence doesn't concern me (unless it's cloudy) and may even be a plus

I am open to suggestions and unique ideas, though I'm not a huge fan of fancy cuts. Round, oval, or cushion are the only ones I'm really comfortable with. I've posted a link to give everyone a vague idea of what I'm looking for, lol.

http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER9048W44JJ

The above is a ring that meets a lot of my qualifications. I really like the french pave band, the pear shaped side diamonds, and even the oval center. The only thing it's missing is the halo, but that isn't a definite deal breaker. Also, I'm afraid that the head sits too high. IDK, though. The only thing that worries me about oval cuts is that they seem harder to evaluate than RB.

Anyway, I know that this may be asking a lot, but I would truly appreciate any ideas/suggestions.

Thank you :)

P.S. My budget is ~5k for both the band and the stone. Also, I would like to have it by Christmas, but I'm willing to wait for quality. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for all of the suggestions so far. Everything looks great. :)

Gypsy - I really like the rings you've posted, but after speaking with my SO some more, it seems the halo is a pretty big "want". That being said, the last one from Gabriel is beautiful. The diamonds you posted all look like great deals.

Mayk - I would consider used, especially if it was something of that quality. That ring looks great! Unfortunately, I think the setting will be too plain for her taste. Still, I'm considering buying it just to have, lol.

I found a couple more pictures of rings that she liked to give everyone a better idea of what I'm looking for. If it seems unreasonable to find what I want within my price range, please let me know. Thanks.

BTW, it doesn't have to necessarily be a three-stone, as long as it has some uniqueness to it. She also seems to like the X-prong vine-like trellis, though I think it may sit too high. One more thing - she liked some of the rings with sapphire side stones.

nk16890eng_1_3.jpg

m1r1326_ritani_engagement_diamond_rings_chicago_marshall_pierce_company.png

20131609143912.jpg

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
Here's a great example of the type of band she likes - very intricate.

erika-blog5.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not a 3 stone, so feel free to disregard, it just caught my eye as one that matches the filigree detailing on your 2nd photo:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-44ct-OLD-MINE-CUT-DIAMOND-SOLITAIRE-1920s-VINTAGE-18K-FILIGREE-ENGAGEMENT-RING-/171141977814?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item27d8db56d6

I have seen this one in person and tried it on, and it is lovely! Here are some RL perspective shots, if that helps

And DBL has a halo'd 3 stone, while not as detailed on the shank or gallery, it does have the 3 stone + halo...
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/colorless-diamond-ring-88cts-e-vs1-cushion-cut-three-stone-diamond-halo-ring-great-price-r4161

img_2181.jpg

img_2258.jpg

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
Enerchi - I like the design on the first and second rings you posted, but I'll always be partial to new cuts. OEC just doesn't do it for me, for the most part. The third ring that you posted is gorgeous and it looks like a really great price. Unfortunately, my SO is a size 4.5 and the ring is 6.5 and says it can't be sized. :(

There are a few ideas on here that I really like and there's also a couple of center stone choices to narrow my search. If anyone knows some good designer galleries that are priced within my budget, please let me know. Feel free to post more pics/direct links if you feel like it, but I think I've gotten a pretty good range of ideas from this and other threads. :) BTW, would it be possible to purchase a setting from a different jeweler and purchase the center stone/have it set by GOG?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK. That was helpful and made this very easy.

Call GOG.

Get this setting:
http://www.beverleyk.com/engagement-rings/halo/r1181-c-d-d-m-halo.html
or this one:
http://www.beverleyk.com/r9412-a-d-d-cz.html

Whichever is cheaper.

And ask for them to find you the biggest eyeclean J SI1 GIA Ex/Ex that has a great idealscope for the center. You don't need hearts and arrows.

Seriously. The quality is better than Gabriel. The settings are breathtaking. And fit her taste to a T.

And GOG can source you a gorgeous stone to maximize your budget.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for all of the help. :) I just looked through the gallery at beverleyk.com and there are some incredibly beautiful pieces. I'll call tomorrow to get all of the info I need. Should I ask to speak with anyone in particular? One more thing - will a normal Ex/Ex GIA grade stone sparkle and display the same fire as an equal quality Ex/Ex H&A stone? I'm more than willing to sacrifice a little size if it means a noticeable difference in luster.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
smilligan|1381116141|3533425 said:
Thank you so much for all of the help. :) I just looked through the gallery at beverleyk.com and there are some incredibly beautiful pieces. I'll call tomorrow to get all of the info I need. Should I ask to speak with anyone in particular? One more thing - will a normal Ex/Ex GIA grade stone sparkle and display the same fire as an equal quality Ex/Ex H&A stone? I'm more than willing to sacrifice a little size if it means a noticeable difference in luster.

A) Beverly K settings can run really expensive. The two I posted for you are ones I know are within your price range.
B) If you want to save money, have them quote you in 14K.
C)No, there will not be a noticeable difference between a GIA EX/EX with a good idealscope and a H&A. H&A is not a guarantee of performance it's just a super precise faceting designation, you would still need an idealscope image to confirm performance with a H&A. Performance is a function of angles and yes, cutting, but you don't need super precise cutting just excellent cutting, and the GIA Ex/Ex will get you that. You can't even see the hearts when set. You are really sacrificing very little noticeable to the naked eye.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
I see. Well, thank you for letting me know. I'll see if I can figure out the pricing on the setting I liked. If not, I may continue searching. Don't get me wrong. I think the settings that you posted are beautiful, but this is something that she will wear for the rest of her life (hopefully, lol) and I want it to be perfect. Good to know that H&A isn't necessary for ideal light return/dispersion. As for the metal, white gold is white gold to me. The actual value of the gold is negligible, IMO (~58% gold vs 75%). If it was more than $400-500 difference, I would probably choose 14k.

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
The first Beverly K setting that Gypsy posted looks pretty perfect for what you told us you were looking for. I'm impressed she found it -- I had never seen a haloed three stone with filigree. I don't think you're going to find a better setting than that one unless you raise your budget or find a used setting on eBay (and that's a pain, because then you need to find a diamond with the right specifications to fit in the head).

ETA: Also, I don't think you can call Beverly K directly -- they'll refer you to a vendor who carries their products which is why Gypsy recommended that you contact Good Old Gold. Good Old Gold carries Beverly K settings, they'll be able to quote you a price on the settings, and they are awesome at sourcing diamonds within a budget. I would contact GOG and give them the exact specs that Gypsy gave you and see what they come up with. Also, $400-500 is a big chunk of a 5k budget, so I'd also take Gypsy's advice on asking that the setting be made in 14k. It will save you money over 18k. My ring is from GOG, my fiance did it on a budget smaller than yours, and we ended up with something great.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
You're absolutely right. It's extremely difficult to find a ring that meets all of my requirements and doesn't eat up my whole budget. The only thing about the last ring is that it doesn't look like a three stone? It almost looks like an empty halo. That doesn't rule it out, but it's hard to tell what it'll look like from that one picture. I haven't been able to find any other angles or hand pics, yet. I hope that I didn't come off as being ungrateful. I really appreciate the time gypsy took to find me settings/stones within my budget and qualifications. And I also appreciate her advice. I'll try to find out more about that setting when I call GOG for the stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The second one i posted isn't a three stone, but it is close.

But to be honest. Your budget is really low for a top quality three stone plus halo of engagement ring (quality that you can wear day after day and have it endure) plus a diamond center . (for example; http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/three-stone-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-in-platinum/6326 over 4k for just the setting). Most people who want that setting would be told flat out to either buy a solitaire and upgrade the setting later. Or buy a sapphire center and upgrade the center later.

So something had to give.
In the three pictures you posted, one of them was a split shank (last one) not a three stone. You said she liked that. So I found you an affordable split shank, of engagement ring quality.

In the first pictures what you show is very close to the design elements of the second setting I posted. But without that large stone on either side of the halo. Again, something had to give.

My recommendation to you:
Show her the two settings I posted for you and ask her if she likes either one.

I am sure you want this to be a surprise. And we can help you plan a surprise proposal (we even have a board for proposal ideas that you can go to) but as you said this is going to be on her finger for a long time.

So see if either of those are ones she likes. Because I think she'll like both of them very much, and that you are dismissing them out of hand.

She won't know what the final ring will look like. She won't know what the center stone is or how it will be put together. But you will find out from her if she likes either of the settings that I can PROMISE YOU are the best quality your budget is going to buy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you don't want to get her input but want to get her what she wants in terms of settings:

Here is the setting she chose: http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond--v--band-engagement-ring-in-platinum/4968 It's 3k. That leaves 2k for a center. Which means a 1/2 carat stone.

I'm not even sure that setting will take a 1/2 carat center. But you can ask. Pearlmans,are Ritani Dealers and can get you a discount on that if you tell them you are a pricescoper. Ask for Julian. Tell him you want the largest GIA stone with a great idealscope image, J SI1 eyeyclean he can offer you for the center of that setting (if it takes a 1/2 carat center).

Then see what they can do for you.

That's pretty much where you are if you don't want to show her actual settings (I don't see why not).

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
Hey, Gypsy. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I haven't had a chance to check the thread. Earlier, I came to the same conclusion that either my budget or my expectations would have to change. I sent an e-mail to GOG with pictures of different settings. One was the Ritani three stone that I love and the other three consisted of less expensive suggestions from this thread that leave more room for a decent center stone. I also gave them the specs that you posted and asked if they could find me something that would fit my budget. They are closed on Sunday and Monday, so I will try calling tomorrow. I tried looking up the head diameter for the Ritani, but I couldn't find any info. The others are within the 5.5-6mm range, which is about 0.75-0.80 carats, I believe. I'm guessing that the Ritani head would fit a stone between 6.5-7mm, but I could be off somewhat (it says between 0.15-25 carats, lol). Honestly, I like the Ritani setting so much that I'm willing to spend close to $6k to get it. Still, even that would be a stretch. You are right in that you posted pretty much exactly what I asked for, and I thought most of the settings were stunning. Part of my problem is that I'm not seeing it in person, or even on "A" person, so it's hard for me to visualize. I found a local jeweler that should carry the settings I'm interested in. I will probably end up going to physically look at each to get a better idea. I have shown her some of these settings (mixed in with several others) and she likes most of them. Again, it is different in person. Still, the three stone Ritani halo is something that I know she LOVES, as I've shown her that as well. It's not so much a question of quality as it is personal preference and style. I know that she would love anything I give her, so I may end up opting for a less expensive setting and a higher quality stone. This is especially true if there will be a significant difference in quality/size, since the center diamond is the main attraction. I apologize for being so difficult and I really do appreciate the time and effort everyone in this thread have put in on my behalf. Do you think Pearlman's would be a better option than GOG?

JulieN - Thank you for the suggestions. I actually used one of them as a finalist. :)

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
smilligan|1381204719|3534036 said:
Hey, Gypsy. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I haven't had a chance to check the thread. Earlier, I came to the same conclusion that either my budget or my expectations would have to change. I sent an e-mail to GOG with pictures of different settings. One was the Ritani three stone that I love and the other three consisted of less expensive suggestions from this thread that leave more room for a decent center stone. I also gave them the specs that you posted and asked if they could find me something that would fit my budget. They are closed on Sunday and Monday, so I will try calling tomorrow. I tried looking up the head diameter for the Ritani, but I couldn't find any info. The others are within the 5.5-6mm range, which is about 0.75-0.80 carats, I believe. I'm guessing that the Ritani head would fit a stone between 6.5-7mm, but I could be off somewhat (it says between 0.15-25 carats, lol). Honestly, I like the Ritani setting so much that I'm willing to spend close to $6k to get it. Still, even that would be a stretch. You are right in that you posted pretty much exactly what I asked for, and I thought most of the settings were stunning. Part of my problem is that I'm not seeing it in person, or even on "A" person, so it's hard for me to visualize. I found a local jeweler that should carry the settings I'm interested in. I will probably end up going to physically look at each to get a better idea. I have shown her some of these settings (mixed in with several others) and she likes most of them. Again, it is different in person. Still, the three stone Ritani halo is something that I know she LOVES, as I've shown her that as well. It's not so much a question of quality as it is personal preference and style. I know that she would love anything I give her, so I may end up opting for a less expensive setting and a higher quality stone. This is especially true if there will be a significant difference in quality/size, since the center diamond is the main attraction. I apologize for being so difficult and I really do appreciate the time and effort everyone in this thread have put in on my behalf. Do you think Pearlman's would be a better option than GOG?

JulieN - Thank you for the suggestions. I actually used one of them as a finalist. :)

I would suggest you go outside your comfort zone on this one a little bit-- I know that others will tell you to get the stone and setting from one place, but you can get a custom setting for less that this.

I have a RHR that is based very closely on the Tacori 2620, one of the most popular and gorgeous tacori rings. I had it made fairly recently and the ring setting was $1400 in 14k rose gold. The original Tacori setting is $3600. And for those who will say it-- yes, we changed some details.

I think you can do better going custom to someone smaller, but that's just me. With a $5k budget, you could have a very close approximation of that Ritani setting and still get a nice diamond.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great response.

I totally understanding wanting to give her everything she wants. I think she is a lucky lady too, to have you as her partner.

Pearlmans versus GOG. They both have very solid reputations on here and I have recommended both many times.
The reason I referred you to Pearlmans instead of GOG for the Ritani is because they are an authorized retailer of that line, and GOG doesn't carry it.

You should have local retailers for beverly K and for Ritani. I would make an appointment and go and see the rings in person.

That said, NEVER mention buying from the internet to a brick and mortar store, their feathers get ruffled and sometimes they will make up scary stories just to try win your business away.

Just tell them that your lady admired some rings by that line and you wanted to see them in person to see what you liked in real life.

:wavey:

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
kb1gra - Thanks for the reply. :) I've actually thought about having a ring custom made, but I was unsure of the pricing. That sounds very reasonable, however, and I will definitely look into the pricing/time frame for custom work. Any recommendations for quality custom work?

Gypsy - Thanks. :) I got a response from Lynda at GOG and she informed me that they no longer carry Ritani. Fortunately, she did find 2 settings that are similar in style and are a much more manageable price. I'll give more details after I speak with her again. Anyway, the first is $2500 and the second is $2000 - both are platinum settings. The first fits a 1 ct center, but I asked if the head has any wiggle room (even if the diamond was slightly shallow to compensate). The second fits a 0.75-0.80 ct center, which would likely fit my budget well. One thing I've noticed is that the diamonds at GOG seem to sell at a higher price point as compared to WF and BGD. Am I imagining this? Would it be better to purchase a center diamond elsewhere? I'm still waiting on a response from GOG regarding what type of diamond they can offer me at what price.

Edit: Good suggestion about how to approach the B&M stores. I can imagine that most wouldn't be too happy to hear about my intentions, lol.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
smilligan|1381273773|3534441 said:
kb1gra - Thanks for the reply. :) I've actually thought about having a ring custom made, but I was unsure of the pricing. That sounds very reasonable, however, and I will definitely look into the pricing/time frame for custom work. Any recommendations for quality custom work?
Gypsy - Thanks. :) I got a response from Lynda at GOG and she informed me that they no longer carry Ritani. Fortunately, she did find 2 settings that are similar in style and are a much more manageable price. I'll give more details after I speak with her again. Anyway, the first is $2500 and the second is $2000 - both are platinum settings. The first fits a 1 ct center, but I asked if the head has any wiggle room (even if the diamond was slightly shallow to compensate). The second fits a 0.75-0.80 ct center, which would likely fit my budget well. One thing I've noticed is that the diamonds at GOG seem to sell at a higher price point as compared to WF and BGD. Am I imagining this? Would it be better to purchase a center diamond elsewhere? I'm still waiting on a response from GOG regarding what type of diamond they can offer me at what price.

Edit: Good suggestion about how to approach the B&M stores. I can imagine that most wouldn't be too happy to hear about my intentions, lol.

Regarding Custom: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-jewelry-work-cad-and-cast-psa.175834/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-jewelry-work-cad-and-cast-psa.175834/[/URL] I would recommend ERD, Engagement Rings Direct.

Regarding prices. Well, no, you are not crazy. GOG is not the lowest priced vendor out there. They provide a ton of information that other vendors do not offer up front (or at all), offer good upgrade and buy back policies on their top line diamonds, are a brick and mortar vendor in New York State, and therefore have more overhead than many other vendors. And that impacts their pricing. BGD and WF has offices in TX, but are by appointment only and do not have a store front, just offices. Their business model is very much an online dealer that is full service, IN THE ONLINE WORLD but they still do not have the cost and expense of a brick and mortar storefront. And TX is cheaper than Long Island, NY. So that also impacts some of the pricing you see.

To answer your question, you can buy the stone elsewhere and have it sent to them for setting. They will charge you a setting fee, and you will want to insure your diamond while it is being set through Jewelers Mutual. Another option is to find a diamond at a drop shipping site and ask them if they can call it in and get close the the pricing of that site (they may not be able to exactly match that pricing as again, there is different overhead, but they will do their best for you) and you can purchase the stone from them, this would mean that they would insure the diamond while it is being set and no setting fee.

The settings that they have in house sound promising. My fingers are crossed for a good fit!

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

The person who made my ring for that price is David Klass. No website, just email, [email protected] I believe. It is a vintage looking ring with a 1/2pter diamond halo and 1-1.5 pointers in the band and the lace detail

His service was excellent, as well.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Gypsy. That makes sense. I'm really excited about the settings they have in-house. It's just a matter of finding a compatible stone. Both are really good looking settings, though, and I'd be happy either way. I might still look into custom work, depending on what GOG quotes me. Do you know of any reputable drop ship sites? The ones I've found seem kind of sketchy. I'll probably end up buying/having everything set from the same place, but it's good to know that there are other options available. It's hard for me to get in contact with people sometimes because of my work schedule. I do 7 on/7 off from 6pm-6am at UAB Hospital. Plus, I tend to be really impatient when I'm buying gifts and I find something that I like, lol.

Thanks for the info kb1gra. If GOG can't work within, or somewhere around, my price range, custom will be my next option. I tend to rely heavily on other people's personal experience/input when deciding on large purchases. I feel comfortable with most suggestions on PS because I can literally look back and see all of the positive reviews/work.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kb1gra|1381283259|3534525 said:

The person who made my ring for that price is David Klass. No website, just email, [email protected] I believe. It is a vintage looking ring with a 1/2pter diamond halo and 1-1.5 pointers in the band and the lace detail

David Klass is hit or miss. He has some lovely pieces and I've seen one in person I thought was just lovely, but I'll be honest: I've seen some dogs as well. He's definitely affordable. But i would be a little gun shy on an engagement ring, personally.

Drop Ship; Blue Nile, James Allen. Very reputable.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1381341025|3534815 said:
kb1gra|1381283259|3534525 said:

David Klass is hit or miss. He has some lovely pieces and I've seen one in person I thought was just lovely, but I'll be honest: I've seen some dogs as well. He's definitely affordable. But i would be a little gun shy on an engagement ring, personally.

Drop Ship; Blue Nile, James Allen. Very reputable.

I think this depends on your attention to detail and knowledge of jewelry.

However, he doesn't charge you until you approve it-- so if you don't like it, or you get it and you don't like it, he'll keep working on it. I sent my last one back when it was not quite what I was expecting in person, and he made it right based on my (detailed) commentary. He doesn't even take a deposit, so you have no real risk in trying him out if that's something you're interested in.

He did my tacori-inspired piece and nailed it, and I have seen some of his legacy-inspired pieces as well and they were lovely-- so for vintage styled pieces, he's passed my test. Is he a tacori? no, but of course, the price was less than 1/3.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue Nile has a gorgeous halo 3 stone that offers a ton of bang for your buck:

http://www.bluenile.com/vintage-three-stone-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold_42401

That will leave you with $3600 for a diamond. You can mount a 0.80-0.90 I/J ideal cut diamond in that setting and it'll look HUGE!

A lot of PSers don't seem to like Blue Nile, but they have some of the lowest prices on diamonds and they are a reputable company who have been around for a while. Also, if you ask them, they will have someone look at a stone to make sure it's eye clean.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies, all. ATM, it looks like I may have found a ring. I'm still waiting to hear the details, so it may take a few days to get everything worked out. It will most likely use the following center: http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/11291/. I'll post the details and pics once everything is finalized. I'd like to say thank you for everyone's help. It definitely made this process a whole lot easier. :) And even though it's not quite done, I have high hopes about this setting and the diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results