shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a 1.5 carat round diamond

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Is it normal to look a little dark or even blue?

To add what @Kim N said: a diamond will also reflect the blue of the sky itself, especially a very well-proportioned one that has tremendous light return. ;-)

auburngirl06

Rough_Rock
Okay so I’ve had this diamond along with me all day (I work from home lol) so it’s been in every type of light possible. I’ve been trying to fall in love with it… not just lust but love if you get me. There is something off about it. I’ve been watching videos and reading about fire, scintillation and brilliance. I found this video and I think this is it. It doesn’t have enough contrast? I don’t see black arrows. It’s pretty but I don’t look at it in any light and say WOW. Outside there isn’t fire…I don’t see shades of color firing out of it. Not in any light environment do I see depth.. does that make any sense? It looks silver ish… the arrows when I see them are a light silver/grey. Have I lost my mind? I thought maybe the E color and higher clarity was what was so different and I needed to get used to it but I just don’t know. Or maybe I’m just being too critical and making up things wrong with it. It’s a huge purchase with the setting and everything and I don’t want to make a mistake.

Please help a girl out again!!

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay so I’ve had this diamond along with me all day (I work from home lol) so it’s been in every type of light possible. I’ve been trying to fall in love with it… not just lust but love if you get me. There is something off about it. I’ve been watching videos and reading about fire, scintillation and brilliance. I found this video and I think this is it. It doesn’t have enough contrast? I don’t see black arrows. It’s pretty but I don’t look at it in any light and say WOW. Outside there isn’t fire…I don’t see shades of color firing out of it. Not in any light environment do I see depth.. does that make any sense? It looks silver ish… the arrows when I see them are a light silver/grey. Have I lost my mind? I thought maybe the E color and higher clarity was what was so different and I needed to get used to it but I just don’t know. Or maybe I’m just being too critical and making up things wrong with it. It’s a huge purchase with the setting and everything and I don’t want to make a mistake.

Please help a girl out again!!

I'm sorry to hear you're not totally loving it. In normal viewing, arrows will appear silver. They appear black in vendor photos because they're reflecting the dark camera lens. Here's a thread discussing them.

Regarding the lack of fire, have you had sunny days recently? Diamonds usually are bright white rather than fiery on overcast days. The best source of colored light return for me has been under a tree on a sunny day.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Have you viewed it under unobstructed LED bulbs? Even shining the light from flashlight mode of your cell phone can bring out the fire.
You'll quickly be able to determine if the level of fire in such direct lighting conditions is enough for your liking or not.

If not, then you should probably consider exchanging it so you get the performance personality that you are after.

auburngirl06

Rough_Rock
Thank you. I feel dumb about the black arrows now. Yes it has been sunny and it does look incredible and at it’s best on a sunny day under a tree. I think my expectations for it to look like that under all conditions is the problem. I have read through all of those links so thank you.

I’m not sure what performance personality I am looking for exactly. This diamond seems to meet all of the parameters of a beautiful stone so I think I need to just get used to how an excellent cut performs vs what I have been viewing for the last 20 years.

Thank you both for all your help. I really am just a noob who wants a pretty diamond that sparkles. I have been doing my best to educate myself and I really appreciate all of your input and expertise.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a Hearts on Fire vendor near you? You could bring in your stone to compare against a Hearts on Fire super-ideal cut diamond. That might help determine if it's just that you're not used to seeing an ideal cut diamond. From the proportions and video of your diamond, it seems like it should be performing well.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I sure don’t.

Any nearby vendor with a colorless or near colorless AGS Triple Zero would also suffice as a means of comparison, since HOF diamonds are also AGS000.

auburngirl06

Rough_Rock
I read through these posts and I truly hope I haven’t insulted you two with my uneducated observations. You picked me out a beauty and I am so grateful. I have been reading and reading and here is what I’ve determined-

1. I have no idea what I’m talking about. You two are great and that you offer your knowledge in a free forum like this is beyond wonderful for people like me.

2. I think my original diamond is poorly cut and has never gone ‘dark’ so that is a HUGE adjustment. We’re talking 20 years I’ve been looking at this thing. To add to that mine is uncerted and was estimated a G but could be closer to H range and this ine is an E and white. Not used to that at all.

3. I’ve been confusing going ‘dark’ in direct light for having a grey/blue tint. I’ve been a tad anxious about it having the blue nuance and me not noticing it…but I don’t believe this is the case. It only turns this color in direct light outside and sometimes in my kitchen. When it is in indirect light it is STUNNING.

This was this am in my bathroom with indirect sunlight shining in. I mean this beauty cannot be denied. I wanted to post a video but I can’t figure out how.

You guys just ignore me. I’m the most indecisive person and that coupled with not enough knowledge on the subject matter ends with me positing anxiety ridden replies on here :roll:

B46DB0F3-3F42-4456-BE6E-DBC7B65DC27A.jpeg

Attachments

• 5F650B98-AAB3-48E1-83CF-BCECF3EEAB7F.jpeg
    5F650B98-AAB3-48E1-83CF-BCECF3EEAB7F.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 36

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I read through these posts and I truly hope I haven’t insulted you

Not at all!
The most important aspect, far above all else, is that YOU love it. If something seems off with it or it just doesn't vibe with your eyes and your mind, then listen to yourself. There are numerous avenues that can be pursued as a corrective course.
How much time do you have left in your test drive/return period?

auburngirl06

Rough_Rock
I have 30 days so a good 3 weeks left. I mean the only thing I don’t love is it going dark in direct light. What kind of person doesn’t want an ideal cut diamond though? That was my husbands question to me… he said, You are second guessing because it’s an ideal cut and too good? You have lost your mind :lol: He has a point!

Oh and my phone case is light purple… why my pictures look so light!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If you really want to put forth the effort to pull out as much brilliance as possible in photos (mostly for your own archive or posting on any social media platforms for your friends and family to see, here are some quick tips:

- Take some white paper/cardstock and cut out a small hole big enough for your phone camera lens then use a smidge of transparent tape to attach the paper to your phone.
- Wear white/off-white clothing when taking pictures.
- Make sure there are no large items with bright or vivid colors in the room, including the paint on walls or ceiling.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read through these posts and I truly hope I haven’t insulted you two with my uneducated observations. You picked me out a beauty and I am so grateful.

Not a bit! DejaWiz said it perfectly below. It only matters that you love it.

Not at all!
The most important aspect, far above all else, is that YOU love it. If something seems off with it or it just doesn't vibe with your eyes and your mind, then listen to yourself. There are numerous avenues that can be pursued as a corrective course.
How much time do you have left in your test drive/return period?

auburngirl06

Rough_Rock
Just a little update…. I love the diamond. I was having a moment of insanity when I posted about something being off :lol: It has been shipped off to David Klass. Not sure how long it will take but my hubby says I can’t have it until our anniversary in May so I’ll be in misery until then! I’ll post some glamour pics when I get them. Thank you both for all the help!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a little update…. I love the diamond. I was having a moment of insanity when I posted about something being off :lol: It has been shipped off to David Klass. Not sure how long it will take but my hubby says I can’t have it until our anniversary in May so I’ll be in misery until then! I’ll post some glamour pics when I get them. Thank you both for all the help!

That's fantastic to hear, and I'm very excited to see it in the new setting!

auburngirl06

Rough_Rock
I’m just so excited and I had to share with someone! David just sent my glamour shots and I am so in love. He was absolutely wonderful to work with. You have to have a lot of patience but if you stick it out it is worth the wait. She won’t be on my finger for another month until my anniversary so I’ll have to just look at these pictures everyday to survive! Thanks to both of you again. So so thankful for your help in picking her out.

040F157B-63EF-47A0-BAF9-E937CD1D98DD.jpeg 1534695A-1AB6-4517-A191-31FA9CCA4143.jpeg

Attachments

• 17AD6AD4-20F8-4EDE-A48D-07A147788E5D.jpeg
    17AD6AD4-20F8-4EDE-A48D-07A147788E5D.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 16

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, she looks amazing! Absolutely gorgeous. :love: Happy early anniversary!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results