shape
carat
color
clarity

White arrows instead of black?

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
(I hope it's ok to ask this here. Let me know if I should ask the admins to move it)

I'm always seeing photos of diamonds with black arrows, but I can't in any lighting condition see black arrows inside my ACA. My arrows are white to my eyes. The image from WF shows black arrows though - just wondering how the heck they did that.

Carry on, lol.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The arrows are just a reflection of whatever is looking at it. So if you use a black camera you'll see black arrows.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Try to take picture of your "white" arrows, and I bet, they will always appear "back" on the picture. :twisted2:

824jagdds

Rough_Rock
I had the same experience when I went to look at Hearts on Fire to get an idea of what a super ideal looked like. I was expecting to see these black arrows and didn't. Thats when I realized it must be the lens of the camera reflecting.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at your stone thru a toilet paper tube.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
look at the diamond from about 8 inches away and you should see darker arrows when it is aligned right.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at your stone thru a toilet paper tube.

still white!

But I think it's because the back of my phone case is rose gold/light in color. The arrows are never black, they're always white/silver.

Here's a (craptastic) pic:

arrows.PNG

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The arrows pattern appears to be dark in clarity photographs because the pavilion main facets are reflecting the dark color of the camera lens which is positioned above the diamond. The arrows will appear more translucent when viewed under normal lighting conditions.

When the arrows pattern is not dark or is inconsistently dark/translucent in a clarity photograph, then the diamond might not exhibit good contrast brilliance. This is important because a diamond that doesn't exhibit good contrast brilliance might lack contrast under normal lighting conditions.

It's the contrast between the light reflecting off the pavilion main and other facets that create the illusion that diamonds are sparkling under fluorescent lighting, where they really aren't sparkling and this is one of the benefits of buying a diamond which exhibits a higher degree of optical precision, like your hearts and arrows diamond.

You're probably aware that the color blue on an ASET Scope indicates lighting effects created by the position of the midday sun, which is located above our heads where it produces shadows and contrast as things like our heads block the light from above.

With this in mind, you can create that dark arrows effect by positioning the light source above your head and holding the diamond out in front of you just a little bit, so that your head obstructs the light. There's a diagram of this somewhere in the archives of PS. Does anybody know where it is?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice dancing fire :love:

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There you go! :dance:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
still white!

But I think it's because the back of my phone case is rose gold/light in color. The arrows are never black, they're always white/silver.

Here's a (craptastic) pic:

arrows.PNG
yep your arrows are pinkish from the phone case.
Try aligning the lens parallel to the top of the diamond about 2 inches above the tube.
Then try closer if needed.
That should block more stray light your image is showing and pop the arrows more.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Craptastic photos through a toilet paper tube.... hee hee hee....

Sorry, I'm 12. :lol-2:

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I should be fired from taking photos of my ring. I’m not doing WF or the ACA brand any justice lol

Not at all, you're doing great! And as a former vendor here on PS, I assure you that WF appreciates the positive press.

It is extremely difficult to take good pictures of diamonds, even with state-of-the-art professional equipment that costs thousands of dollars. The diamond has to be aligned "perfectly" with the camera lens and the slightest tilt throws everything off.

You're taking photographs of a diamond through the cardboard insert of a toilet paper roll and they're turning out pretty darn good. I'm impressed, truly impressed and I'm certain that WF appreciates your attempt to do so.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all, you're doing great! And as a former vendor here on PS, I assure you that WF appreciates the positive press.

It is extremely difficult to take good pictures of diamonds, even with state-of-the-art professional equipment that costs thousands of dollars. The diamond has to be aligned "perfectly" with the camera lens and the slightest tilt throws everything off.

You're taking photographs of a diamond through the cardboard insert of a toilet paper roll and they're turning out pretty darn good. I'm impressed, truly impressed and I'm certain that WF appreciates your attempt to do so.

Aw, thank you :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results