shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding 4ct round with $35k budget

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
Am I dreaming or is it possible to find an eye clean 4ct round stone with a budget of 35k? If so can someone can point me in the right direction please

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Are you okay with a very warm diamond?

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
I was seeing some in the I color range. What color is considered “warm”? Sorry for newbie questions. The only advice I got so far was to look for si1 g diamonds but Hoping I can find lesser color for the budget I’m at.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Look at auctions!

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Good questions— people see warmth at different levels but most start seeing real warmth at j and k and lower. I don’t think you’ll be able to find any well cut, eye clean stones in even a j or k. You have a killer budget and could get an amazing 3 ct stone — which is still huge! There are more knowledgeable people who can post options.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you feel about SI1/SI2 clarity? I am personally ok with SI1 since many are eye-clean. I have just ordered a 4.01 J color SI1 that was a bit more expensive than your number - and dont forget taxes, which are considerable. I really had to search for a while until I found one with the right H&A cut quality. I am hoping I'll be ok with the J, as an H or I diamond of that size is more than I want to spend on piece of jewelry lol. I'd never hear the end of it at home.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP: You can get an ideal cut round under budget that's over 3ct, but not 4ct and it'll be warm.The nice thing about WF stones from the ACA or ES lines is that you can upgrade forever by only spending $1 more. So if you'd like a bigger stone or higher color you can do that down the line.

Here are some options:

Here are some bigger options from other vendors (but they don't have the upgrade policy). The blue nile one isn't perfectly cut, but it looks good relatively speaking. My view is always to get the best possible cut, so I'd prefer an ideal cut 3ct vs a less ideal cut 4ct, but if ct is your priority this is a decently good choice. The JA ones you'd need to see the GIA certs to check, but they look good just based on my quick scan of them. The JA ones are a bit over 35K, but get you the size.

L

lydial

OP: You can get an ideal cut round under budget that's over 3ct, but not 4ct and it'll be warm.The nice thing about WF stones from the ACA or ES lines is that you can upgrade forever by only spending $1 more. So if you'd like a bigger stone or higher color you can do that down the line.

Here are some options:

Here are some bigger options from other vendors (but they don't have the upgrade policy). The blue nile one isn't perfectly cut, but it looks good relatively speaking. My view is always to get the best possible cut, so I'd prefer an ideal cut 3ct vs a less ideal cut 4ct, but if ct is your priority this is a decently good choice. The JA ones you'd need to see the GIA certs to check, but they look good just based on my quick scan of them. The JA ones are a bit over 35K, but get you the size.

@lovedogs can you explain the Blue Nile clarity characteristics? I can not see the naturals in the girdle as it spins and the other clarity characteristic - do you know what that is? Thanks. Just curious.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs can you explain the Blue Nile clarity characteristics? I can not see the naturals in the girdle as it spins and the other clarity characteristic - do you know what that is? Thanks. Just curious.

hmmm, I just looked up etch channel and realized it's an inclusion some people like to avoid. Read more here: https://yourdiamondteacher.com/diamond-4cs/clarity/diamond-inclusion-types-list/
It's kind of like a "worm hole" in the diamond. I'm less worried about the indented naturals.

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for all the responses and great advice!

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I would not suggest that for someone new to diamonds. If this is for an engagement ring, you want the best possible cut. Having a poorly cut stone that is big will not look as good/sparkly as a smaller stone that has an ideal cut.

Why not? They sometimes come with papers and you have plenty of time to look at the pieces in person and can ask someone to help. You‘ll find excellent deals. So I certainly wouldn’t exclude that option.
I‘m not talking of online auctions...

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
What’s a good site or where do you find auctions?

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
What’s a good site or where do you find auctions?

It depends on where you live. Are there any bigger auction houses nearby? Sotheby’s or Christie‘s or smaller ones with good reputation that have jewellery auctions.

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
Yes I have both Since I live in Los Angeles. I will look into these. Thank you.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I have both Since I live in Los Angeles. I will look into these. Thank you.
Make sure to see the objects in person before bidding. And maybe take someone who can help :).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not? They sometimes come with papers and you have plenty of time to look at the pieces in person and can ask someone to help. You‘ll find excellent deals. So I certainly wouldn’t exclude that option.
I‘m not talking of online auctions...

I thought you meant online. Yes, if there's a high quality auction house near OP that is definitely an option. However, I think for someone new to diamonds it makes the most senses to buy from a trusted vendor who has papers, images, etc.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I thought you meant online. Yes, if there's a high quality auction house near OP that is definitely an option. However, I think for someone new to diamonds it makes the most senses to buy from a trusted vendor who has papers, images, etc.

I thought you meant online... no, I would not recommend that either!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
No advice but would love to see what you get eventually; I'm sure it will be incredible!

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
So far my local jeweler has offered me a 3.76 round si1/g and a slightly cheaper 4.13 cushion vs2/h. I don’t have any other details yet and I know it’s hard to judge from just that info but what would you recommend between the 2

Reactions: AV_

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So far my local jeweler has offered me a 3.76 round si1/g and a slightly cheaper 4.13 cushion vs2/h. I don’t have any other details yet and I know it’s hard to judge from just that info but what would you recommend between the 2

Can you post the lab reports for these diamond?

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you open to set stones or do you just want a loose diamond?

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
I will try to get any other details and lab report if possible. The stone is for an engagement ring so I am looking for a specific setting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There's no way to know without more details. They could both be horribly cut for all we know. What about your future fiance? What are her her preferences for shape, size, color, etc?

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
When we were looking She started off with cushion cut in 4ct. Then realizing the round cut tends to have a bigger face decided to go with that. She told me size is more important then quality but of course I wouldn’t want to compromise quality too much. I trust this dealer has chosen 2 comparable stones in terms of cut. I guess I’m wondering if a round is generally more expensive then cushion with everything else in terms of color weight and clarity being constant.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a word of caution re buying from auction.
Firstly, there is no return, no change of mind, you bid, you win, it’s yours.
Secondly there is a significant buyers premium applied to the hammer price, this is around 20% extra, plus any local taxes that might apply. Check these first.
While the diamond or ring might come with a GIA report, it will be up to you to inspect the diamond and assess it. Small nicks may not be disclosed, it is always up to the buyer to carefully inspect the item and note condition and any other issues.
A jewellery appraisal is NOT the same as a lab report. The appraiser might be accredited but it won’t have had the same level of assessment as a GIA lab report supplies. Any suggestions as to value also subjective, it is up to the buyer to make their own decision regarding value and what’s a fair price to pay. This is why buying at auction is difficult for novice purchasers. Without the knowledge and experience to make an assessment the risk of overpaying is greater.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I would highly recommend going with a Whiteflash ACA diamond for 2 reasons:
1) Ideal cuts will help hide color, inclusions, and face up larger. The larger the diamond, the easier it is to see color and clarity.
2) If size is a big priority, the generous upgrade policy will be very useful in the future. Other vendors have upgrade policies that require you to spend 2x more. Whiteflash only requires you to spend $1 more.

IMO, you have a generous budget and 3ct is considered very large. I'd rather have a well cut, near colorless, eye clean 3ct than a lower quality 4ct. You can also look at increasing the ring's presence with a halo or side stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results