shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Help find a Padparadscha for an engagement ring.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
saracen|1402525682|3691208 said:
That's true Niel. I guess I just don't want it to disappear on her. So what you say makes sense.

I do still like the Finewater one the best. Gary is actually getting the origin on it. It should take about 2 weeks and I'll have one week from arrival to decide if I want to keep it. Very nice guy.
Gary is great. I really really like him. And I've only ever bought one stone directly from him.

(Wishing I had buckets of cash right now...)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I'm loving this thread; I've always wanted a pad.

Ditto to TL; a pad sapphire is much more rare than a white diamond, and even more rare than some colors of FCD's, like yellow or champagne, or evens some pinks (not saying the pinks will necessarily be affordable, but you can certainly find them, unlike a pad--you'll likely never see more than one or two on any vendor's site, if you find it at all).

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

saracen

Shiny_Rock
JoCoJenn|1402528328|3691249 said:
Might this one be an option? http://www.rubylane.com/item/490404-180ctNHPad/Beautifully-Elegant-Unheated-PADPARADSCHA-Sapphire-Diamond

Smaller (in size & budget) than your target, but it's noted to have a GIA cert, unheated.

Thanks JoCoJenn. It's interesting to me to see that Pads that are pinkish-orange can look so different from each other. I think this one is a bit too on the pink side. Would love something more orangey. I know she doesn't like that type of ring though. So tough.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1402529694|3691260 said:
Might this one be an option? http://www.rubylane.com/item/490404-180ctNHPad/Beautifully-Elegant-Unheated-PADPARADSCHA-Sapphire-Diamond

Smaller (in size & budget) than your target, but it's noted to have a GIA cert, unheated.

This is gorgeous, but that's not really a GIA cert. It's a cert from someone who is a gemologist. It's a little different (unless I'm missing the actual cert).

I assume the GIA cert is available for viewing but not uploaded. I think that was just an appraisal, but could be wrong.

OP - I really wish you luck finding THE perfect stone for your perfect lady! :)

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I dont see anything about a lab report on the ATG "pad", nothing to suggest it is heated or unheated, or otherwise treated except the price, which makes me think it is heated at the very least, and more likely diffused. I really don't like having to ask, and for stones such as this, the absence of disclosure up front raises flags for me.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1402508966|3691036 said:
Here's another lovely padparadscha. The owner of the stone originally found it from a 1920's ring, so its an old stone. I love the orangy color, without brown, which is so hard to find these days.

It's just another stone to show you so you get an idea of what a fine padparadscha can look like.

pad_new_hand2.jpg

art%20nouveau%20pad.png

Good luck, and make sure the stone you get wows you, because if it doesn't, I don't care what the pedigree is, it's just not worth it.

Wow, okay. Rarely do I see pads that live up to my mental image of what one should be, and never in the orangier hue, but OH MY EVERLOVING GOD I WANT THAT. I don't even LIKE orange? And I just spent like ten minutes staring at these two pictures and thinking about crying because it's not mine. That is... an outlandish emotional reaction, even for me. I think I need to switch careers to something that pays more so I can get me one of those.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
JoCoJenn|1402530263|3691269 said:
athenaworth|1402529694|3691260 said:

This is gorgeous, but that's not really a GIA cert. It's a cert from someone who is a gemologist. It's a little different (unless I'm missing the actual cert).

I assume the GIA cert is available for viewing but not uploaded. I think that was just an appraisal, but could be wrong.

OP - I really wish you luck finding THE perfect stone for your perfect lady! :)

THANK YOU!!! :)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
saracen|1402525682|3691208 said:
That's true Niel. I guess I just don't want it to disappear on her. So what you say makes sense.

I do still like the Finewater one the best. Gary is actually getting the origin on it. It should take about 2 weeks and I'll have one week from arrival to decide if I want to keep it. Very nice guy.

Good news! I like the Finewater the best of the ones posted.

I LOVE Art Nouveau's pad.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1402531148|3691279 said:
I dont see anything about a lab report on the ATG "pad", nothing to suggest it is heated or unheated, or otherwise treated except the price, which makes me think it is heated at the very least, and more likely diffused. I really don't like having to ask, and for stones such as this, the absence of disclosure up front raises flags for me.
He's got reports on a whole bunch of his stones on the page, but typically the really expensive ones, such as a $100k 7+ct color shift sapphire (didja see the pad that was sold?!). I can't imagine he'd balk at getting a lab report for one that didn't have one already.

SOLD STONE DESCRIPTION:
1.63ct Pink with hint of Orange Oval Sapphire, bought as Padparadscha as many of our pinkish or orangy Sapphires are deemed that by the sellers but we sell as Orangy Sapphire, Pinkish Sapphire or another color description as deemed necessary to avoid the Pad dilemma. (Buy as Pad, sell as a colored Sapphire!) (Though we must admit, this color does seem to be what is expected of a Pad! A few others recently purchased would probably pass as a Pad in the US depending on who was doing the nomenclature.) (egaj-11-26)

UPDATE! This gemstones has been certed and now has the following description:

GIA Certed Natural UNHEATED Padparadscha Sapphire!

He doesn't tend to put full information on all of his stones, and I think he prefers inquiries anyway, since you can't actually just buy from the site. I found him to be very responsive, and very nice even though he didn't have what I was searching for.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Saracen,

I've just caught up on this thread. Congrats on engagement. You were brave and just plunged into the world of colored stones. I think that's how it is with us.
I love the color pad you're ordering. It appears similar in color to the Africa Gems but to me a nicer shape (if you looked at the 3d rendering of the Africa gems stone it shows asymmetrical outline---native cut or just trying to preserve the weight or irrelevant as to color and shine?)

Fingers crossed and lots of hope Finewater is the one for your gf. There is such a huge range of colors for "pad".... although it may be moot you can check out pad sapphire images on google or pinterest (some of which are drawn from ps ;-) )

p.s. Vapid funny funny about brownstone.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
wordie89|1402581358|3691539 said:
Saracen,

I've just caught up on this thread. Congrats on engagement. You were brave and just plunged into the world of colored stones. I think that's how it is with us.
I love the color pad you're ordering. It appears similar in color to the Africa Gems but to me a nicer shape (if you looked at the 3d rendering of the Africa gems stone it shows asymmetrical outline---native cut or just trying to preserve the weight or irrelevant as to color and shine?)

Fingers crossed and lots of hope Finewater is the one for your gf. There is such a huge range of colors for "pad".... although it may be moot you can check out pad sapphire images on google or pinterest (some of which are drawn from ps ;-) )

p.s. Vapid funny funny about brownstone.

Thanks wordie! :)

You know, I thought the Africagems one looked odd shaped on one of the long sides. Thanks for noticing that. I wasn't sure about it. Yeah, Finewater is hopefully the one. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just know that the Finewater stone is very very deep, and has small face up for its carat weight. That's important to note. It was probably cut from very deep elongated rough.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
TL|1402591939|3691637 said:
Just know that the Finewater stone is very very deep, and has small face up for its carat weight. That's important to note. It was probably cut from very deep elongated rough.

I know. That's my major concern with that stone. Gary did mention to me though that the drawing on the AGL report is from the 'end' of the stone making it appear deeper.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1402594357|3691675 said:
TL|1402591939|3691637 said:

I know. That's my major concern with that stone. Gary did mention to me though that the drawing on the AGL report is from the 'end' of the stone making it appear deeper.

Good to know. It sounds like an off center cutlet. Unfortunately, as most of these stones are cut in Asia, they're not precision cut, and the material is so rare, that these stones are cut to save weight rather than beauty. I believe Sri Lanka doesn't export rough gems so they can be precision cut here, unless they're full recuts. I'm Glad Gary is getting an origin report on it though. I hope you find a good stone soon, but just know the look can take a very very long time.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Thanks TL. Hoping this is the one. I'll know once I see it and also take it to the jeweler. If it isn't, oh well. Just have to keep looking. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope this one works for you too. Unfortunately, with your stringent requirements and the fact that nice looking unheated padparadschas are so incredibly rare, one cannot be too picky about the depth of the stone. I suppose the added depth is also there to help concentrate the colour better, if you want to think of it in a positive light.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1402596340|3691714 said:
I hope this one works for you too. Unfortunately, with your stringent requirements and the fact that nice looking unheated padparadschas are so incredibly rare, one cannot be too picky about the depth of the stone. I suppose the added depth is also there to help concentrate the colour better, if you want to think of it in a positive light.

+1

Sometimes colored stones need a little help in concentrating the color and a bigger butt can help it perform better face up.

saracen

Shiny_Rock

Yeah. I know. I've always been a very picky guy. I do want to make my girl happy though. I try to exceed expectations. :bigsmile:

Actually, Gary said the same thing about color.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
royalstarrynight|1402597204|3691738 said:

+1

Sometimes colored stones need a little help in concentrating the color and a bigger butt can help it perform better face up.

Sorry, but I chuckled a little when I read that. :lol:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
by saracen » 12 Jun 2014 12:27
Written by royalstarrynight » 12 Jun 2014 12:20:
Written by Chrono » 12 Jun 2014 12:05:

+1

Sorry, but I chuckled a little when I read that.

----------------------

But (t) you need a good balance!!! :naughty:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1402550170|3691421 said:
VapidLapid|1402531148|3691279 said:
He's got reports on a whole bunch of his stones on the page, but typically the really expensive ones, such as a $100k 7+ct color shift sapphire (didja see the pad that was sold?!). I can't imagine he'd balk at getting a lab report for one that didn't have one already.

SOLD STONE DESCRIPTION:
1.63ct Pink with hint of Orange Oval Sapphire, bought as Padparadscha as many of our pinkish or orangy Sapphires are deemed that by the sellers but we sell as Orangy Sapphire, Pinkish Sapphire or another color description as deemed necessary to avoid the Pad dilemma. (Buy as Pad, sell as a colored Sapphire!) (Though we must admit, this color does seem to be what is expected of a Pad! A few others recently purchased would probably pass as a Pad in the US depending on who was doing the nomenclature.) (egaj-11-26)

UPDATE! This gemstones has been certed and now has the following description:

GIA Certed Natural UNHEATED Padparadscha Sapphire!

He doesn't tend to put full information on all of his stones, and I think he prefers inquiries anyway, since you can't actually just buy from the site. I found him to be very responsive, and very nice even though he didn't have what I was searching for.
I just wanted to add this from ATG's website:
Lifetime Guarantee

We guarantee that your purchase from All That Glitters is indeed what we say it is, regardless of the time that has passed from the original purchase date....or your money back.

If we are aware or suspect enhancement/treatment of your gemstone, we will disclose these facts. Should an item not be what is stated on your receipt or enhancement is not disclosed, the item may be returned at any time. The problem must be documented by a qualified gem lab such as GIA, IGI, AGL, Gubelin Gemological Lab. The issue requires documentation from the gem lab and All That Glitters should be contacted when the problem has been discovered and prior to return shipment.

In over 30 years, All That Glitters has never had an item returned under these circumstances. Please note that some gemstones are assumed to have some form of treatment. Two examples of this would be Blue Topaz (irradiated/heated) and Aquamarine is typically heated to drive off the yellow, thereby producing a more pure blue. Tanzanite is another gemstone that is usually heated and this again, is a standard practice. Please refer to studies indicating types of enhancement that may be performed on all gemstone varieties you are considering purchasing.
All That Glitters typically does not sell diffusion treated gemstones unless requested. We sometimes have some items due to their uniqueness, but any enhancement would clearly be stated.

http://www.atggems.com/Guarantee_Lifetime.htm

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Update: Gary got the stone back from the AGL lab and it now does show the origin as Ceylon (Sri Lanka). Now just need to see it in person. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see your photos .

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When will you get it?

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Trying to work that out now. I'm a bit scared of transferring that much money via paypal so I'm trying to meet him somewhere.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG…please post photos - it looks like it would be one of the most amazing stones one could hope for…lucky, lucky gf/soon-to-be FI!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1403372169|3698090 said:
Trying to work that out now. I'm a bit scared of transferring that much money via paypal so I'm trying to meet him somewhere.

Could you not do a wire transfer through your bank?

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Elliot86|1403373442|3698103 said:
saracen|1403372169|3698090 said:

Could you not do a wire transfer through your bank?

Yes, I can. Is that safe though? I figured once it's transferred that's it? No recourse if anything goes wrong.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results