Premium

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's her.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would absolutely use CVB designs, and make a gorgeous ring out of just the center stone or a three stone. You can see her work on Instagram or Etsy. These are great stones to have!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would just like to say from someone who's husband was going to propose with a family heirloom ring, my SO only showed me a photo of this 70/80s thick banded marquise diamond ring that had rows and rows of round side diamonds that had probably not been cleaned 15 years (it was very dull and dingy looking) and I absolutely hated it. Then he went out and bought an oval lab diamond (CZ) which was fine, I was marrying him not the ring and I still enjoyed wearing it around. After we were married for about 6 months we took possession of his inherited jewelry along with many other items. This was when I finally saw the ring in person and HOLY COW I was blown away because unlike my hubby I could tell the diamond was very nice even as dirty as it was. If I had seen the ring in person I would have gladly allowed him to propose with it and save what he spent on the oval but since it was only a photo it was difficult to actually see the potential of the stones. I then wore it for about 9 months and had the diamonds reset into a beautiful 3 stone engagement ring and the side stones were used to make a full eternity band.

I would encourage you to pull her into the process, let her see the rings in person (after they are cleaned) and tell her what you are thinking but have examples of the settings you considering as sometimes it is hard to see past the tangible. If she wants to go that route then have the stones reset and once finished don't let her wear it until you want to propose, she will die from the suspense but I think it is the right path.

Also my sister in law was given an heirloom and after 10 years of marriage she finally convinced her husband (my husband's brother) to allow her to reset, she is so much happier with her stone now.

Scratchy2

Rough_Rock
Is it okay to set an OMC diamond in prongs without something else protecting the girdle? I'm wondering if something like the CvB setting that we've been talking about would provide enough protection. I read a piece on GIA's website about OMC diamonds that says, "Because original older cuts may have exceptionally thin girdles, be sure that the girdle is fully protected all the way around the diamond, leaving no edge exposed."

Is this a valid concern?

Reactions: AV_

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
You should absolutely be cautious about how you set your antique diamonds, especially since it's already been noted that they have a few chips in the girdle. I would send your ring to CVB and she can advise you on how best to set your diamonds to avoid any additional damage. I included the bezel set three stone (with the emerald center stone) because of this issue.

I really like that description of her style. Very well put. And I do like that CBV setting that's getting a lot of chatter.

I am thinking a three-stone is the way to go. Beyond that, I'm still trying to figure out what other options I have. Is there anything I should know about how to set an OMC diamond vs a modern round cut? I'm seeing some differences with style (e.g. a lot of "Victorian" stuff), but is there anything technical to be aware of? Like, are there modern settings that straight up don't work with an OMC diamond?

Also: she'd previously been considering yellow gold but is now leaning toward platinum. She's trying to reign herself in, and is actively trying to consider what is "timeless" and versatile vs. what might be trendy at the moment (even if that's what she initially leans toward). She's very conscious that the ring would last through many different stages of life.

Edit: I showed her the CvB setting and she seemed to like it.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinum is classic. So are 3 stone rings. 6 prong settings are more protective than 4 prongs, but bezels are the most protective. David Klass also does beautiful bezel work if the jeweler suggests that prongs won't work.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I slipped in a picture of "Ring A" while running other ideas by her. She said, "I don't like it," and we moved on. Case closed: I'll be resetting them.

Please do make sure they do not destroy the mounting in the process. Down the road she may change her mind....it would look fabulous with a sapphire.

fellys

Rough_Rock
Premium
Ooh fun project! I personally would want to get involved as I can't trust my husband with the details :lol: but that's just me.

I agree with not destroying the setting though as I have just reset a piece from my mom’s old jewellery. While mom has said that she doesn’t care if I trade in the gold value, it’s too late now but I find myself regretting terribly that I did that. I might be more sentimental than I thought. :(

Scratchy2

Rough_Rock
Hi, all! I wanted to post a long-overdue update and thank each of your for your help with this project.

First off, and most importantly: she said yes! We had the wedding, and are now happily married. :dance:

I ended up going with CvB and couldn't be happier with the decision. I highly recommend Caysie van Bebber to anyone looking to do a custom project—the technical expertise, craftsmanship, and customer service were all exceptional. I was able to keep the whole process under wraps from my now-wife—I did some in-person ring shopping with her to get her sized and to stealthily guide her preferences in the right direction. I also did my best to set the bar low so that she would be that much more impressed with the final product. By the time I popped the question, the ring I had in hand was a much-better version of the ring she had "decided" she really wanted. I remain very proud of myself for some truly masterful manipulation (if I do say so myself).

For the engagement ring, I took the three big stones from heirloom ring "A," and Caysie put them in a Maria-style platinum setting. I used the smaller rounds from that same heirloom ring to make the wedding band—this time with my wife's input on design. I'm holding on to the small baguettes for a future anniversary stacking ring project of some kind.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you. Couldn't have pulled this off without you all! Pics below.

IMG_1633.JPG IMG_1634.JPG IMG_1632.JPG IMG_1856.JPG IMG_1858.JPG IMG_1860.JPG IMG_1863.JPG

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous ring! Congratulations! I love three stones as well and had mine designed from older rings as well and reset.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The diamonds are so beautifully matched and cut. Wonderful rings!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
What a story and what a ring!! Congratulations!! It is absolutely gorgeous, and I think you are awesome for putting in all the time, the attention to detail, and the seriously stealthy operation ;)2

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely stunning!!!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Love 3 stones and I loved the backstory on your ring journey process. Well done!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful ring you made for your lucky wife! I think you made a very wise choice using the stones from that ring. They are clearly older than the setting they were in, so you weren't disassembling an original antique piece, and the result is (to my eye) much prettier than the ring was as your father gave it to you.

The art deco ring you show on the middle finger of the person's hand in the photo--the one with three diamonds in octagonal settings surrounded by a lot of smaller diamonds in a geometrical pattern--DOES look like the original stones in their original setting. It's about a century old and is very beautiful and desirable in its current state. I hope you will keep it as is, and offer it to your wife (or future daughter or daughter-in-law, or perhaps future son or son-in-law, or other jewelry-loving family member) as a family treasure. It is more than the sum of its parts.

GardenLady21

Shiny_Rock
Hi, all! I wanted to post a long-overdue update and thank each of your for your help with this project.

First off, and most importantly: she said yes! We had the wedding, and are now happily married. :dance:

I ended up going with CvB and couldn't be happier with the decision. I highly recommend Caysie van Bebber to anyone looking to do a custom project—the technical expertise, craftsmanship, and customer service were all exceptional. I was able to keep the whole process under wraps from my now-wife—I did some in-person ring shopping with her to get her sized and to stealthily guide her preferences in the right direction. I also did my best to set the bar low so that she would be that much more impressed with the final product. By the time I popped the question, the ring I had in hand was a much-better version of the ring she had "decided" she really wanted. I remain very proud of myself for some truly masterful manipulation (if I do say so myself).

For the engagement ring, I took the three big stones from heirloom ring "A," and Caysie put them in a Maria-style platinum setting. I used the smaller rounds from that same heirloom ring to make the wedding band—this time with my wife's input on design. I'm holding on to the small baguettes for a future anniversary stacking ring project of some kind.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you. Couldn't have pulled this off without you all! Pics below.

IMG_1633.JPG IMG_1634.JPG IMG_1632.JPG IMG_1856.JPG IMG_1858.JPG IMG_1860.JPG IMG_1863.JPG

Congratulations a thousand times over! As I was reading I started to pout thinking there wouldn't be a final post with the outcome. Boy was I thrilled when we got the whole scoop. What a beautiful ring set. What a terrific ending!

Reactions: AV_

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well done. Fabulous outcome. Really glad you were able to use the heirloom stones. . Congratulations on the wedding!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved reading this entire thread, and the final result is an absolute knockout!! Your wife's rings are absolutely STUNNING. That first pic of her engagement ring made me gasp, it must have knocked her socks off! Congratulations to you both, and well done to you for putting in so much love and effort to creating the most beautiful ring you could. She is a very lucky lady!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wow!!! The end result is so very, very A-amazing!!! I just love, love, love old cut 3 stones refurbishing the stones, my absolute favorite! I have to say this ring came out even better than I imagined it would. Love the wedding band too. Much congrats!!!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful outcome! Both really nicely done! And like another poster said, ring b with the wide band, is really a beautiful vintage piece. Interesting design
and should be kept intact.

Last edited:

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
A three stone vintage inspired piece from Cassie means youlll have a new heirloom to pass down to your own children.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
You should absolutely be cautious about how you set your antique diamonds, especially since it's already been noted that they have a few chips in the girdle. I would send your ring to CVB and she can advise you on how best to set your diamonds to avoid any additional damage. I included the bezel set three stone (with the emerald center stone) because of this issue.

Cassie knows the deal with thin girdles and can set it in such a way as to protect the girdle. Bezel or tab prongs are great. You can see tabs below on my transitional, oec below for an example of a low set tab pronged, thin girdled older cut.

I don’t know why we don’t see more tabs on old Niue stones but that’s a different conversation. Forgive the kitty fur!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results