shape
carat
color
clarity

Help evaluating with ruby ring or loose ruby/spinel ?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thing is this, you have to love it if you’re going to keep it, especially if it was an expensive purchase for you. It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks. You seem unimpressed, but correct me if I’m wrong. Keep it a few days and see if it grows on you.

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
@T L Yes I think I will play with her a bit more. I didn't pay nearly what I could have paid for her, I think Gary felt sorry for me because I lost that first 2ct spinel that I had originally called him about as it had just sold. Plus we were laughing because he could very well be a distant relative of my husband and so it would be cool to have a stone cut by one of my husbands relatives lol. Anyway I still have some money left over for a setting (not a lot but some) without going over my original budget. If I want something this minute, I might be able to swing something from Ivy and Rose (or something in 10K) or if I want something fancier I could just save some more money up and try to be patient :)

I just tried to video her at the dining room table. I put a glove on. She looks kinda cool under that light, more sparkly and stuff but Im having trouble keeping the iPhone in focus. I wonder if she would look that sparky way if the sun came out. She has some black spots I can see depending on the way I hold her but they seem to mostly disappear when I wiggle her around. Its fun to stare at her but logically that's probably just because she's the first colored gemstone I own. If I keep her I wonder if later I will laugh at the charcoal I bought when I first started out! That was a great story and its so true about so many things we do when we are newbies at something.
I tried to upload the .mov file so you could see the video but I can't get it to work ugh Ill go research that and if I figure it out I will post it!

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
@T L That link was HYSTERICAL I was laughing at all the comments people had about their stones they started out with too. What a great idea it was to post that! And so many people have the same learning curve that makes me feel better. At least there is hope that I will get better and understand what I am supposed to be looking for AND what price is fair :)

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
Prisca, going through my Etsy favorites list, I totally decided to go for a red spinel that I thought was priced like a great deal.
@voce did that red spinel come yet that you got a good deal on? I was wondering if you ended up liking it ?

voce

Ideal_Rock
@voce did that red spinel come yet that you got a good deal on? I was wondering if you ended up liking it ?
I haven't received it yet, but will let you know as soon as I get it in hand. The tracking info says delivery is expected between 4/24 and 4/29, so quite a wide range there. :confused2:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to be on pins and needles, not because of the red spinel that's on its way to me, but because I'm waiting on Ivyandrosevintage to set a chipped red spinel that was the first one I bought. If that breaks, then this one that's on its way to me is very similar in size and measurements, so I would send it in as a replacement stone. But, I sure hope the one that I had recut does not break. :pray:

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
If that breaks, then this one that's on its way to me is very similar in size and measurements, so I would send it in as a replacement stone. But, I sure hope the one that I had recut does not break. :pray:
Why would it break just in setting it? I thought spinels were kind of hard. Is is because you are afraid of the existing chip in it? Its good to have a back up on the way though!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I sympathize with finding balance on when/if to pull the trigger. I have a red spinel that's getting set that was a rookie mistake purchase. I was hungry for a larger red colored stone after getting inspired by lovedogs' thread.

It was originally 2.22 ct and a nice size but a wonky cut...and pretty included. I didn't ask for more pictures from the vendor (for example, in sun, not just in shade) and although it truly was a stoplight red, there was no fluorescence, and the ugly cut just really bothered me. However, I felt bad for the vendor and did not send it back to India for a refund, but instead decided to go for a recut. When the cutter was polishing the girdle, it started chipping, so now I have a .97 ct red spinel. However, I still find it beautiful in a flawed way, and have sent it to be set by Ivy and Rose.

Please, as you embark on this search, do not make my mistake and go for what appears to be "value". If the stone could be improved without risk, the seller would've done it already to sell the stone for more.

Why would it break just in setting it? I thought spinels were kind of hard. Is is because you are afraid of the existing chip in it? Its good to have a back up on the way though!
See the quote above. I love the color but the stone is included enough that the girdle was crumbling when the cutter was polishing it after recutting for me.

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
@voce Ok I think I got it. Had to go look up what a girdle is and read about inclusions. I just thought inclusions were like mother natures crystal stuff and maybe dark spots that you can see sometimes with they eye and sometimes with a loop but these things can actually affect the stone sometimes. So there actually is a chance something could happen still. ugh. Now I get it. Im glad you have a back up on the way. I'm sure they will do a fine job but this will cover all your bases and save you from being disappointed if something DOES happen.
Sorry I am so SLOW !

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
So here are my thoughts. I love the size and the cut and of course I like the raspberryish red color. But I could have gotten that from a Rhodolite cheaper maybe. It could use a bit more color saturation I think (if thats what its called) but I might have had to either go up in price or down in size to attain that...I don't know. It seems to look a little redder inside than out, but I will have to see how that changes during the day.

You don’t sound crazy about the stone. Have you changed your mind since? When I see something that’s the right one I get that “fluttery omg I just fell in love and cannot take that (insert item name) off my (insert body part name)” feeling. :kiss2:

Based on numerous past experience, settling invariably leads to regret. Just my two cents.

Re: looking at stones or photographing them, you can consider getting gem ring holders. Useful to gauge what the stones look like on the finger. Something like this:
https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/listing/253060196/spring-type-stone-gemstone-diamond

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No offense IcyJade but I always caution against those gem ring holders. Many have nicked stones or worse with those things.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
No offense IcyJade but I always caution against those gem ring holders. Many have nicked stones or worse with those things.

Oh? Thanks for the warning. I’ve been using them at my jewelers and assumed was fine. When you say nick is it because the holders cut into the stones or left marks? Was it for the softer stones or in general all? Just want to learn so pls excuse so many questions. :P2

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone can move around and get nicked, or even worse, become a projectile and fly out of them. I had to learn that the hard way as did many others.

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
Based on numerous past experience, settling invariably leads to regret. Just my two cents.
Lol yes you are Right Icy_jade!
I don't like to settle...but I think I'm not so fluttery about her because I can only look at her in the palm of my hand and try to PICTURE a ring. And it rained ALL DAY today so I still haven't seen her in the sun.
Its kind of like buying a saddle but you don't have a horse yet so all you can do it look at it and and YEARN.
Im yearning....

Now when I took her to that small independent jeweler the other day THAT was fun because they balanced her in different halo settings and then I could 'see' the future! Except none of them were really perfect for her and they were too expensive for what I felt like I was getting.
But I do really like her and I did decide to keep her. I even named her so clearly I've lost my mind. It's silly but I feel kind of like her caretaker now and I need to find the right outfit (setting) for her to look her best.
She won't be my RED ring though, she will be my reddish pink ring. I will have to continue to 'hunt' that elusive red stone down in the future when I know more about reds and have saved more money!
But I'm already looking forward to it!

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
The stone can move around and get nicked, or even worse, become a projectile and fly out of them. I had to learn that the hard way as did many others.
Thanks for that tip @T L gee I didn't think these spinels were so delicate because they are an 8 on that Mohs scale but I was reading about that scale today and I guess its really not linear so spinel is still a lot softer than a diamond. I will be very careful with her!

BTW QUESTION anyone ....I heard back from David Klass and the platinum option is only 300 more than the 14k white gold option in the setting I was asking about. (still have to save for it if I go that route but) I thought it would be like WAY more. I have NO White gold or platinum rings, so I have no idea which it brighter or shinier? Maybe its a subtle difference that you can't really see and people buy platinum just because its more durable and doesn't need replated ?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David Klass does 10k too. Just throwing that out there.

I personally can’t tell much difference between platinum and 10k white gold. Higher karat white gold needs rhodium plating to look like platinum. Platinum is good for durability and allergies.

I love the heaviness, density and durability of platinum vs gold. I like 10k gold for the price!! It also tends to hold my stones better than 18k. Platinum gets a greyish patina over time, I love it, gives it a rich vintage look. You may need yellow metal for the spinel though. See how it looks against white or yellow.

If your stone looks good in white metal, and it’s cost effective, I would go with platinum. I really dislike higher karat white gold than 10k, but that’s just me. If I’m going to go for higher karat gold, it will be for the buttery yellow look.

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for that tip @T L gee I didn't think these spinels were so delicate because they are an 8 on that Mohs scale but I was reading about that scale today and I guess its really not linear so spinel is still a lot softer than a diamond. I will be very careful with her!

Spinels are pretty durable, but no stone is impervious to chips, even diamond. It will get microchips with regular wear, just don’t loupe it!! What you don’t know can’t hurt you.:twisted2:

I saw a very close up and focused picture of Liz Taylor’s ruby ring in the Sotheby’s auction catalog. That’s corundum, a 9 in the mohs scale, and it had tons of facet abrasions.

Last edited:

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
If your stone looks good in white metal, and it’s cost effective, I would go with platinum. I really dislike higher karat white gold than 10k, but that’s just me. If I’m going to go for higher karat gold, it will be for the buttery yellow look.

I LOVE that buttery look you are talking about I always have!!! Thats why I dont have anything in white or platinum yet but I thought maybe this would be the first.
Maybe I will check into the yellow gold too just to be sure she doesn't look better in that.

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
Spinels are pretty durable, but no stone is impervious to chips, even diamond. It will get microchips with regular wear, just don’t loupe it!! What you don’t know can’t hurt you.:twisted2:

I saw a very close up and focused picture of Liz Taylor’s ruby ring in the Sotheby’s auction catalog. That’s corundum, a 9 in the mohs scale, and it had tons of facet abrasions.

Wow I had NO idea. My Grandmother always just said be careful with the opals and pearls! And I am so hard on my hands! I will really want to take care of this ring I think I will pretend she's a pearl just to be safe. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, my mom knocked two huge craters out of her diamond, and split a diamond baguette in half!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 I chipped a diamond and a couple of coloured stones in those temporary ring shaped stone holders so I don't use them any more I use jewellers tweezers both the ones with the soft plastic tips to protect stones and good quality metal only ones for harder stones now.

voce

Ideal_Rock
IMG_20190426_182138373.jpg IMG_20190426_182001234.jpg IMG_20190426_181946643.jpg IMG_20190426_181931444.jpg
I got this today, but I was not impressed. Imo it's dark and looks orangey to my naked eye, better through the lens of my camera, lol! I don't know what lighting conditions allowed the vendor to take one where it looked a super saturated red. I'll be keeping it for the time being in case my first spinel breaks. If it wasn't a size twin, I might have returned this one. If only spinels weren't so hard to find a size twin for!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_20190426_182138373.jpg IMG_20190426_182001234.jpg IMG_20190426_181946643.jpg IMG_20190426_181931444.jpg
I got this today, but I was not impressed. Imo it's dark and looks orangey to my naked eye, better through the lens of my camera, lol! I don't know what lighting conditions allowed the vendor to take one where it looked a super saturated red. I'll be keeping it for the time being in case my first spinel breaks. If it wasn't a size twin, I might have returned this one. If only spinels weren't so hard to find a size twin for!
I'm sorry you're dissapointed :( but I can see what youre talking about in terms of it looking a bit darker than ideal. As you said, the camera doesn't really show orange, but I can see some darkness.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry Voce. I see the orange, and what you mean. I hope it wasn’t too expensive.

I cannot tell you how many times a dealer described a gem one way, and it turned out no where near their description.

voce

Ideal_Rock
IMG_20190427_181818400.jpg IMG_20190427_181825055.jpg IMG_20190427_181909033.jpg
While still not showing a super saturated red, these pictures still look better than yesterday, right? Same time of day, but different lighting environment. I have never seen a ruby so shifty with color, and I now consider red spinels more difficult to shop for than rubies. :x2

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the biggest issues with red spinels is their “shiftiness.” Almost all gems shift to some extent, but many red spinels tend to go more orange indoors, or worse, even brownish.

I do have a Nigerian hot pink tourmaline that looks the same in all lighting, but I bet it still shifts a tiny bit, just not as perceptible to my eyes. Tourmaline does tend to shift though in most colors though. This one is an oddity though, it’s probably my only gem that doesn’t shift.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I have been very cautious about buying tourmalines since I became aware that most have a mask that makes them turn out not as vivid in some lighting.

Haven't noticed them shift color apart from the mask, though maybe I'm just more inexperienced with noticing these things? I didn't see the small window in my unheated blue sapphire ring until 6 months after I bought it, and I've only been into gemstones for a little over a year to date.

I do think I have a good eye for color and spotting any masks when the photographs/videos are true to life, but of course this is very tricky with color shifts! I just didn't expect this red spinel to be shifty.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that’s why I always advise people to get multiple photos of a stone in various light sources. I also advise people to view stones on a lighter background. Dark backgrounds really enhance color and brighten tone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results