shape
carat
color
clarity

Help evaluating with ruby ring or loose ruby/spinel ?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well to be honest, I would never pay nearly $5k or even $4k for a under 2 carat red spinel. I guess that’s me though. Check with Vlad Yavarskky. He’s known for world class spinels of all colors, and I think he may even be more reasonably priced. To be honest, the second one reminds me a lot of the over two carat one I sent you. It’s more of a pink. Ask Vlad if he has any of a certain size, reddish pink (that color is less expensive than pinkish red) and give him your budget. Again, I never ordered from him but he’s known throughout the trade, and he even wrote a book on spinels.

Good luck with the dog!!

https://instagram.com/vlad_yavorskyy?igshid=1aa8ljerf3tqq

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
@TL Oh I should have clarified! Yikes sorry, Yes the regular prices are too expensive I agree. the 1.19 would actually be about 1700 and the 1.59 would be closer to 3300 if he can still give me that 'sale' price.
Still a little high maybe?
I thought the second one looked kind of like the one you sent me too!! And yours was bigger...right.
I love how you guys tell me what you really think that SO important to me!
I will go check with Vlad as well :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Gary and think that if you are patient, the 1.59 ct one will be better in the long-term. See the last pictures of when the spinel is in hand. In real life, the 1.19 ct will have a darker area, whereas the 1.59 ct is lit up completely without that zone of darkness. This is the difference that a superior cut makes. The other thing is that to my eye, the 1.19 ct is a little more orangey (just got a new phone last night :P2 and can see the orange unlike previous phone), and the 1.59 ct is more of that pink/purple secondary huge you like, that is also a feature of Burmese rubies. So from both the colouring and cut, I see the 1.59 ct as better. Make sure you get the 30% discount! :twisted2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TL Oh I should have clarified! Yikes sorry, Yes the regular prices are too expensive I agree. the 1.19 would actually be about 1700 and the 1.59 would be closer to 3300 if he can still give me that 'sale' price.
Still a little high maybe?
I thought the second one looked kind of like the one you sent me too!! And yours was bigger...right.
I love how you guys tell me what you really think that SO important to me!
I will go check with Vlad as well :)
I would still check with Vlad. I guess I’m just not that impressed with the hand shots, especially the larger one, but maybe they’re just bad photos. I would ask for a video of both in incandescent and sunlight.

I better get my reddish pink Burma spinel out of its dusty ole gem box and set it!! I set most of my Tanzanian spinels. I like them better. I’m sure there’s exceptional ones, like Jedi spinels, but these don’t do it for me for the prices, although I’m glad they’re more reasonable. I’m sorry, it pains me to be too honest sometimes, and perhaps they’re much nicer IRL.

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
Ooooh @TL don't let it pain you to tell me your thoughts! I REALLY love that because nowadays its SO hard to find. Everybody wants you to feel good (and thats a noble thing I suppose) but if I know me Im probably going to buy whatever I end up really loving (even if I overpay for it) so I really just want to know the truth.
Like - hey... you overpaid lady.

If you think about it....the combined knowledge of this forum is priceless! And I am taking into account the personal preference and taste (color/cut/size whatever) that every person is just naturally going to have. But remember just a few days ago when I almost dropped $2300.00 on that Ebay ring?? :shock:
Wow you all saved me from that fiasco.

So its all good. Gary will take a video today for me since I have been talking to him for a few days now. Maybe they will look better in that lighting. :pray: If not its ok I can keep nosing around.

voce

Ideal_Rock
It's also possible that a lot of phones don't capture red well, and what's red irl looks pink in pictures. I know this is true of iPhones. So I don't really try to judge for myself pinkish red or reddish pink but go by the seller's description.

Let me show you my Jedi spinel. There is no gray mask, and it performs really well in low light situations. It's only .84 ct and has an inclusion on one corner of the table, but this was the only way it was still an affordable price. I am not personally willing to pay $3000/ct for red spinel or any type of spinel, because that's ruby price. I have trouble convincing myself to spend even $1500/ct for a 2 ct red spinel, and that's what vendors want, so I haven't bought larger red spinels.

Screenshot_20190418-111704.png
Those are the seller's pictures. I don't have pictures on this new phone so I took a screen shot. If you'd like to look at more spinels, she has pink ones just under a carat, though she has sold a 2 ct one before and might be able to source you a spinel at a good price. Her store on Etsy is named thegemcollector.

Edit: this spinel looks redder and bright in person. The colour in the photos, I would personally describe as reddish pink, but irl it's red.

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
@voce that spinel is positively GLOWING. Its like it has its own energy source inside or something how freaking cool! Is that because its a Jedi? I've heard that term before in a thread somewhere in here and Im going to have to go look up what it means. (Because to me, Jedi means Obi-Wan Kenobi - I'm a Star Wars nerd.)
Evidently it means very cool spinels as well.
Anyway of course your point is look how it has kind of pinkish glow when IRL its red. This fact really brings home that buying these things online slightly risky, in case you get something that doesn't look like you thought it would. No wonder you guys ask about a return policy. There are SO MANY layers to buying a red stone geez!! (made worse by my budget constraints I know, I know... <sigh>)

Please someone tell me buying emerald are easier? That was going to be next purchase in a year or two...

voce

Ideal_Rock
Look up the article by V Pardieu on jedi. I remember reading they're called Jedi because they have no "dark side" ie the "half and half extinction" effect.

If you thought buying a red stone is hard, well, let me tell you I have now bought 3 red spinels but still don't feel comfortable buying emerald. The inclusions are something I need to see in person before I know whether I can tolerate.

I have bought a couple green stones, but they were demantoid garnet and tsavorite garnet, eye clean. With emeralds there are usually inclusions, and those make me worry.

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
If you thought buying a red stone is hard, well, let me tell you I have now bought 3 red spinels but still don't feel comfortable buying emerald. The inclusions are something I need to see in person before I know whether I can tolerate.

oh no Im doomed lol

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@voce that spinel is positively GLOWING. Its like it has its own energy source inside or something how freaking cool! Is that because its a Jedi? I've heard that term before in a thread somewhere in here and Im going to have to go look up what it means. (Because to me, Jedi means Obi-Wan Kenobi - I'm a Star Wars nerd.)
Evidently it means very cool spinels as well.
Anyway of course your point is look how it has kind of pinkish glow when IRL its red. This fact really brings home that buying these things online slightly risky, in case you get something that doesn't look like you thought it would. No wonder you guys ask about a return policy. There are SO MANY layers to buying a red stone geez!! (made worse by my budget constraints I know, I know... <sigh>)

Please someone tell me buying emerald are easier? That was going to be next purchase in a year or two...
Actually spinels are easier to buy than emeralds. Don’t get me started on emerald shopping!!! Rubies are the worst gems ever to shop for though, very very difficult to get through the land mine of treatments, color and price. Padparadchas are second worst. Corundum is also dense. A one carat emerald will face up twice the size of a one carat ruby. I still love rubies, but it’s the one gem I don’t own because I can’t rob a bank.

I’m glad Voce posted that gorgeous spinel so you could see what a great stone should look like.:appl:

It looks like one of those maraschino cherries. Yum!

Last edited:

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
I have bought a couple green stones, but they were demantoid garnet and tsavorite garnet, eye clean. With emeralds there are usually inclusions, and those make me worry.
@voce I really like those tsavorite garnets. Just looked them up. Maybe I can substitute one of those for an emerald in the future.

I have been on Vlad's site looking at spinels, but I haven't actually talked to him about one yet. It doesn't look like he has the reddish pink on the website but I see a lot of pinkish red. But some of his stones are confusing I found three just listed as "red" and the prices are all over the place. From $1400.00 for a 1 ct up to like 4900.00 a ct. (7k for 1.5 ct!) Of course this is for 'red' and I think reddish pink would be less. Still what is up with these spinel prices being so high? Maybe its just because they are rarer than previously realized and people are catching on? And then does that mean the prices are not going to go back down to where they were? Some of the spinels I have been looking at ARE the same prices of a moderately included ruby. I just happen to think a perfect looking spinel is prettier than a moderately included fuzzy ruby so I would buy the spinel over the ruby but still it sure seems expensive.

https://yavorskyy.com/collections/spinel/products/red-spinel-burma-1-03-cts

https://yavorskyy.com/collections/spinel/products/red-spinel-1-14-cts

https://yavorskyy.com/collections/spinel/products/red-spinel-1-50-cts

Im sure Vlad has a reason for these prices. This huge difference in price really shows me that I know NOTHING.
Like less than Jon Snow.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Some spinels qualify as jedi spinels or in other cases people will describe them as stop light red and they will display very strong flourescence to the point where they almost glow. Then they can be inordinately expensive, you can see examples

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jedi-spinels-show-and-tell.238284/

https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/spring-2014-pardieu-jedi-spinels-in-mogok

You can see more examples in the videos TL posted.

These are not going to be cheaper than your average ruby -- they are very rare and priced accordingly.

Edit in general coloured stones are all about colour. (Relatively minor) Improvements in colour can lead to large changes in price. I am not sure this is a particularly devisive point if you are trying to buy a 2 k spinel, beyond the need to be aware of the strong dialogue in this thread about not buying a muddy red coloured gem that looks like a pyrope garnet. But it can be a nightmare if you are spending a few 100k on a high quality ruby.

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you haggle with him? Tell him your budget. I noticed that there are some sub carat red spinels, one in particular I really liked that was well within your price range and was a 5 to 6mm size. I don’t want to post for for fear of lurkers.

I think those prices are crazy to be honest, but maybe I’ve just lost touch with how prices have risen on these gems over the years. Ouch!!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Sellers charge what they can get. As a buyer, I can only judge if I think the premium is worth it. Like... must I have Mikimoto pearls or are non-branded hanadama ones just as good (or better?) o_O

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
Can you haggle with him? Tell him your budget. I noticed that there are some sub carat red spinels, one in particular I really liked that was well within your price range and was a 5 to 6mm size. I don’t want to post for for fear of lurkers.

@T L Oh yes and I am afraid to ask about some for fear of spies as well! Its like Im learning you have to be kinda covert on the red spinel forum! But hey when you are hunting for something as rare as these babies are I guess it's to be expected. I read an article that said red is good luck in China and they were buying a lot of the red spinels. Wonder if that is helping the prices go up because of supply/demand. I kind of wanted a carat and a half or 2 but now I just dont know...Im going to have to change a perimeter. Like up my budget or down my carat size or change the DANG color.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A pricescoper recently recommended this overseas dealer. He takes 24 hours to get in touch. Again, I have no experience with this seller, but he’s supposedly “reasonably priced.”

https://instagram.com/mr.spinel?igshid=jas9akaqqm2x

You can also save money by getting an included stone, or a cabochon. If the color is superb, inclusions help bring the price down, unless that doesn’t even matter anymore????:cry2:o_O

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
@icy_jade I have a Mikimoto pearl ring! Its the only brand name ring I own actually. And I might have to sell the darn thing to afford these crazy priced spinels!

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
You can also save money by getting an included stone, or a cabochon. If the color is superb, inclusions help bring the price down, unless that doesn’t even matter anymore????:cry2:o_O
I think it does matter! at least some places maybe. Gary at finewater gems just lowered the price of one of his. He hadn't looked at it in a while and upon closer inspection he noticed something I think it was an inclusion that changed the clarity? He immediately contacted me about it because it was one of the gems I was considering and he wanted to be upfront about the flaw. I got a video from him today that I liked and he's sending me another one tomorrow too!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The subcarat one I liked was included. I rather have an included stone with great color than a brick red one that’s clean. Even in tiny gems, great color really shows up.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade I have a Mikimoto pearl ring! Its the only brand name ring I own actually. And I might have to sell the darn thing to afford these crazy priced spinels!

I am by no means an expert, but from what I have read on pearl forums even brand name pearls resell poorly. I feel like you should keep your ring.

There are two more instagram vendors and one etsy vendor I have not purchased from but others here have
https://www.instagram.com/haydenfred_gems/

https://www.instagram.com/higems_/

And

https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/shop/CDGEMSTONE

You might also have some luck with cecile raley designs and thegemstoneproject on etsy.

Ask everyone about inclusions (especially surface reaching ones and ones which may cause structural issues). And unfortunately remember that descriptors are very subjective, there will be a lot of different opinions about what constitutes a jedi spinel -- don't just take everyone's word on it, as they will mark up the price and you have to decide if it is worth the extra money (you could end up with something that is just meh with a fancy title no one but the seller thinks is appropriate, and a big price tag.)

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
I am by no means an expert, but from what I have read on pearl forums even brand name pearls resell poorly. I feel like you should keep your ring.
@qubitasaurus thank you yes I'm sure you are right. I was kidding really I do love that ring so much! I haven't been in pearl forums or anything but even my daughter tells me that 'kids nowadays' arent really into pearls. I wonder why though? Maybe things just go in and out of fashion in cycles I guess.

I'm off to go check out those links! Thank you!

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
Hi guys!
Just wanted to check back and update you I think I have found a pinkish spinel (not sure the technical color name really) It looks reddish pink to me but definitely not as sparkly glowy like a Jedi though :( but I really like it. And I got some videos of it next to another red red stone and I STILL liked this dang pinkish one better. PLEASE feel free to tell me anything wrong with it if you want because its always good to know the flaws in a stone thats going to be your lifetime partner.
I did go with Gary at Finewater and since I had been working with him before his sale ended he let me still have that 30% discount. I think it was @lovedogs who sent me that original link to him? (Thank you!)

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 3.08.55 PM.png

I really wanted a natural untreated durable stone, that was pretty clean, over 1.5 cts if possible and red but I like the red-pink-raspberry colors as well. Hope it looks good in person. That part of stone buying is still scary not being able to see it in person first. I can return it if I don't like it though.

Also my dog made it through surgery but they had to take more out than they thought. Its not cancerous - just bigger inside than they expected. Because of that she now can't come home tonight so she will be overnight there at the dog hospital. At least she's ok though!
:appl:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys!
Just wanted to check back and update you I think I have found a pinkish spinel (not sure the technical color name really) It looks reddish pink to me but definitely not as sparkly glowy like a Jedi though :( but I really like it. And I got some videos of it next to another red red stone and I STILL liked this dang pinkish one better. PLEASE feel free to tell me anything wrong with it if you want because its always good to know the flaws in a stone thats going to be your lifetime partner.
I did go with Gary at Finewater and since I had been working with him before his sale ended he let me still have that 30% discount. I think it was @lovedogs who sent me that original link to him? (Thank you!)

I really wanted a natural untreated durable stone, that was pretty clean, over 1.5 cts if possible and red but I like the red-pink-raspberry colors as well. Hope it looks good in person. That part of stone buying is still scary not being able to see it in person first. I can return it if I don't like it though.

Also my dog made it through surgery but they had to take more out than they thought. Its not cancerous - just bigger inside than they expected. Because of that she now can't come home tonight so she will be overnight there at the dog hospital. At least she's ok though!

oooh, pretty!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pretty stone and of course the cutting is top notch! There’s a video on Instagram showing some crazy fluorescence, is that one of the stones you were considering? It looks really cool!

Glad your pup is okay, hope she can come home very soon!

Hi guys!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hi guys!

:appl:congrats, congrats. I love the cut and size on that one! A world-class pretty pink! :kiss2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m glad Gary was able to come through for you. It’s a nice size!! Since you’re still in the evaluation period, let us know what you think when you have it, and please post pictures. Also check for fluorescence in the sun. It should look like an unnatural reddish glow coming from the stone. Not all red family spinels have fluorescence, but it’s an extra special feature of these stones. There are many examples of fluorescence on this forum. A stone can fluoresce under UV light, but not always in sunlight.

Good luck with your doggy, I hope she recovers well from the operation.

Last edited:

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
Thank you! Funny how some colors just 'call' to you and this seemed soothing to me to look at for some reason. Plus then hubby said "oh you have a sweater that color and that color looks great on you."
Thats all it took. SOLD!
Now if it could only make me look 10 lbs lighter :)

Pretty stone and of course the cutting is top notch! There’s a video on Instagram showing some crazy fluorescence, is that one of the stones you were considering? It looks really cool!

@alene I dont know if this stone is on Instagram, but I do have a pic of its fluorescence but not in the sunlight I guess its just with a black light?

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 6.16.33 PM.png

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
I’m glad Gary was able to come through for you. It’s a nice size!! Since you’re still in the evaluation period, let us know what you think when you have it, and please post pictures. Also check for fluorescence in the sun. It should look like an unnatural reddish glow coming from the stone. Not all red family spinels have fluorescence, but it’s an extra special feature of these stones. There are many examples of fluorescence on this forum. A stone can fluoresce under UV light, but not always in sunlight.

@T L He did have a red stone that I was looking at and I think it did that fluorescence thing more than this pink one in the outdoor light (but it wasn't really sunlight.) I just couldn't afford that stone ... it was still more than this one after the haggling was over :(

I will have to take this out in the sun when I get it...if we ever get any sun its been grey and overcast all spring. Hubby and I just lit a fire in the fireplace for tonight and its APRIL.

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
I just hope its not too dark indoors. Gary said it looks more red indoors. I will post photos as soon as it arrives for sure!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just hope its not too dark indoors. Gary said it looks more red indoors. I will post photos as soon as it arrives for sure!!!

I’m not saying this because I think the stone will look like this, but if it looks and acts like a garnet when you get it, then get a garnet, especially since you said you like raspberry color. Gary also carries beautiful garnets.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results