shape
carat
color
clarity

Help evaluating with ruby ring or loose ruby/spinel ?

voce

Ideal_Rock
For anyone curious, this is what the red spinel that I recently bought looks like in broad daylight.
IMG_20190428_103015542.jpg IMG_20190428_103029668_HDR.jpg IMG_20190428_103120507.jpg IMG_20190428_103227760.jpg
Definitely a stone that looks better in indirect light, unlike the best red spinels and red rubies, which are even more amazing in direct sunlight.

Once set, this will probably look good indoors so long as there is plenty of indirect natural light.

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
While still not showing a super saturated red, these pictures still look better than yesterday, right? Same time of day, but different lighting environment. I have never seen a ruby so shifty with color, and I now consider red spinels more difficult to shop for than rubies. :x2
@voce yes I agree those second set of pictures show that spinel prettier than the first set of pics. How confusing this all is! I think maybe a gem show is where I will try to find my next stones. Ive never been to one but geesh its got to be easier than trying to evaluate these things in photographs! I am still waiting fo the sun here, we have had nothing but rain and endless dreary cloudy days. I have yet to get my spinel out in the sunlight so I still have no idea what it looks like in that lighting.
Tricksy little stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results