shape
carat
color
clarity

Help ! Emerald Cut Solitaire E Ring with 7K budget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tatoosh

Rough_Rock
hello! I am looking for an emerald cut solitaire for under 7k. It will be in a pave setting (2mm band) but I haven''t decided on the setting for the diamond yet. I was hoping you all could offer feedback on what my budget will realistically allow. I would like to stay at VS1/2 and color above G. What depth should I look for to have the diamond look large from the top? I know I will have to sacrifice on weight/size to get a great cut and color. Is it crazy to find a 1.5 c emerald cut that is sparkly and icy?

any help is appreciated, I know you are all the experts!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Tatoosh- congratulations....It''s so fun to be getting a diamond!!

If you''re staying with G/VS2 as a minimum, I don''t believe you''re going to get a 1.50ct....

Are you extremely "color sensitive''?

tatoosh

Rough_Rock
thanks! I am really excited. I love the way emerald cuts look, but I also don''t want it to be super small.

What ct is more realistic? Am I going to have to sacrifice size for a good color? I definitely like the super clear and icy colored stones. I have really pale skin and the warmer toned diamonds look dirty next to it.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The way the light bounces around in an emerald cut is quite different from a round, for example.
Some poeple feel you can see the color easily in an emerald, personally, I don''t feel that way.
Have you seen any emerald cuts in I or J colors any in person?

tatoosh

Rough_Rock
I haven''t. I saw a VS2, E color 1.14 ct in person and it was stunning but looked SO small! Perhaps I should look at a few I/J colors in person. It sounds like I am going to have to pick a much smaller ct weight to meet my budget and stick with the rectangular shaped diamonds.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, you will.
But if you look at lower colors, and they appeal to you, then you can really up-size.
We''ve found many people who do exactly that- in fact some people actually like a warmer color better!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or if you do want a whiter color, go for an SI stone that has no eye visible inclusions, or those that can be hidden by a prong.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eyeclean emerald cuts are few and far between, call goodoldgold. Try for a 1.25 EC with 63-66 depth to maximize spread. As for color. Consider an I colored stone.

I would not buy a stone that was not GIA certified. And I would not buy a stone without an ASET and pictures (unless it was in person). Please search previous threads for a lot of information about EC's. They can't be picked by the numbers alone.

Good luck.

Start with this thread about step cuts (asschers are square emerald cuts) https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-cut-good-specs.106138/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
---

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/30/2009 4:28:15 PM
Author: Gypsy
Eyeclean emerald cuts are few and far between, call goodoldgold. Try for a 1.25 EC with 63-66 depth to maximize spread. As for color. Consider an I colored stone.

I would not buy a stone that was not GIA certified. And I would not buy a stone without an ASET and pictures (unless it was in person). Please search previous threads for a lot of information about EC''s. They can''t be picked by the numbers alone.

Good luck.

Start with this thread about step cuts (asschers are square emerald cuts) https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-cut-good-specs.106138/
Hi all,
Gypsy, it has been my experience that many SI emerald cuts are eye clean.
Remember, GIA grades clarity based on the presence of imperfection, as opposed to the imperfection''s visibility.
If the imperfection is in a corner, or hidden by a facet, you may very have an eye clean SI clarity emerald cut.
I''m sure GOG can find you one!

I''ve also found that trying to buy based on a particular depth may eliminate some really good choices- again, just my experience!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
If you want a 1.5ct Emerald for 7K the best color you are going to get is an I. Unfortunatley you are going to need pics of these to decide.

tatoosh

Rough_Rock
thanks for all the feedback. It sounds like I was WAY off base on the size I could get for that budget!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 4:51:49 PM
Author: mercoledi
Do the experts have thoughts on these?

1.63 D SI2 6710

1.31 D vs2 7280

1.52 I SI1 6840

1.44 H VS1 6860
There is no way that first one is eye clean. The inclusion is quite large and in the middle.

1.31 looks ok, however, I can''t tell if the dark center is a fault of the way the stone is tilted or if it really is that dark.

The 1.51 look as though it might be eye clean but I doubt the cut is all that good. It seems to be showing quite a bit of warmth just in the picture. It could be the picture however I''d wait for storm to ask about the angles.

1.44 Not a fan. I don''t like this one at all. The patterns seem to be off. I don''t really have anything else to say about that one but it is my least favorite of all.

I think you can do better. I''d call around to some vendors and ask what they have and for pictures. I''m not an expert but I love EC''s and I think the beauty of the EC is all in the patterns.

tatoosh

Rough_Rock
I would love feedback on these... I spoke to a diamond cutter who told me that you wouldn''t want to go below a G or VS1 for this cut. what do you all think?

tatoosh

Rough_Rock
I don''t like the 1.44 either. You are right about the cut! What is most important in an Emerald... cut or clarity? or color? so many factors to consider!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
The factors all depend on what you believe to be the most important. I''m sorry, I know that doesn''t answer your question. However, I have a J VS1 emerald cut that I love and most of the time doesn''t show warmth at all. Personally I believe that is because of the cut. I would focus on the GIA stones with Excelent polish and symmetry first. That is me though, I like really even things in general. Clarity was next on the line for me in terms of importance. The little tiny bit of warmth that I see maybe in low lighting does not bother me at all. I am a consumer and personally do not believe that I am an expert however I know what I like when I see it. I think that brings back up the point that you really need to see these stones in person first to decide on color. If you go with a good vendor they should be able to verify the eye clean status of a stone for you as far as clarity is concerned.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
EM1- you got an EX/EX??
How cool is that!!

For sure EX/EX are very rare in Emerald cuts..

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 6:13:00 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
EM1- you got an EX/EX??
How cool is that!!

Actually mine is a EX polish and VG symmetry, I had to go back and look at the GIA report. I should have explained better above but what I meant to say is I would try and find one there first. At least that is what I did. I didn''t even look at them if they didn''t have at least one EX. Our apraiser thought it should be EX/EX but alas the GIA report is EX/VG. However, the faceting is very even which is why I think I love it even more.

I didn''t mean to imply that mine was EX/EX. Sorry, if that is the way it read.

tatoosh

Rough_Rock
EM1 - thank you! I think ordering online will be hard to do and I am definitely going to shop around in my city. Your ring is gorgeous, btw. I toyed with the idea of a halo on mine too. :)

tatoosh

Rough_Rock
hi - What does EX/EX mean? sorry, I am new to all of this!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, I love my ring and halo because it is so, "me". I''ll keep looking around for stones but I would call some vendors and see what they have. Always ask for pictures.

I Love My Sailor

Shiny_Rock
I would look at www.JamesAllen.com

Although whiteflash and other PS vendors are exilent choices, jamesallen seems to have a little lower prices.

(from what I have found)

Good Luck

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
excelent polish and excelent symmetry = EX/EX

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 7:16:15 PM
Author: I Love My Sailor
I would look at www.JamesAllen.com

Although whiteflash and other PS vendors are exilent choices, jamesallen seems to have a little lower prices.

(from what I have found)

Good Luck
The diamonds posted above are all from JA. They don''t have that great of a selection right now so I would keep checking back. I know they pull from a virtual inventory but JA will post pics of some of the virtual inventory diamonds. So, just because it isn''t that great right now doesn''t mean they won''t have a bigger selection soon.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 4:36:51 PM

I would not buy a stone that was not GIA certified. And I would not buy a stone without an ASET and pictures (unless it was in person). Please search previous threads for a lot of information about EC's. They can't be picked by the numbers alone.

Good luck.

Hi all,
Gypsy, it has been my experience that many SI emerald cuts are eye clean.
Remember, GIA grades clarity based on the presence of imperfection, as opposed to the imperfection's visibility.
If the imperfection is in a corner, or hidden by a facet, you may very have an eye clean SI clarity emerald cut.
I'm sure GOG can find you one!

I've also found that trying to buy based on a particular depth may eliminate some really good choices- again, just my experience!
Hi Rockdiamond,

1. I was addressing the OP, not you, and my advice was based on the specific information in this post to address what the OP was stating their needs were (spread).
2. I have to advise based on MY experience. And I did so.
3. I do not appreciate, nor will I tolerate your patronizing tone. Please curb it in the future in relation to any of my posts.

Thank you,
Gypsy

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 6:13:00 PM
EM1- you got an EX/EX??
How cool is that!!

You know. I have an Ex/Ex and I've been on this site for years helping people with step cuts (many of them Ex/Ex), and while in terms of the proportion of Ex/Ex versus non-Ex/Ex in the general market, I am sure your comments are correct. However in the context of your posts, it sounds like you are trying to lower the OP's expectations so that he'll be happy with settling for whatever he can get, instead of seeking the best he can afford from the start. I disagree with your tone and the implications in it.

The OP is looking for ONE stone. Not looking to stock a store full of Ex/Ex or VG/Ex diamonds. I don't think it is unreasonable to encourgage him to look for the best he can afford. Perhaps your viewpoint, as someone who A) is looking to make a sale and who generallly does not stock diamonds with higher color or superior cut statistics (my opinion and observation of your goods) and B) stocks a store instead of looking for just one diamond is the problem. Not our advise.

tatoosh

Rough_Rock
Gypsy - Do you think that it is possible to find a really high quality emerald cut for 7k? Are those cuts just hard to come by? I would definitely like to get the highest quality first, and as large as I can afford without sacrificing quality second. of course, in a perfect world I could have both. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Good luck.

I meant eyeclean SI EC's are few and far between.

T: I think 7K for a beautiful EC is not unreasonable. I think 7K for a 1.5 carat G VS is probably a little out of the ballpark. I would either adjust your expectations to a smaller diamond, raise your budget.
2.gif
What you originally stated you wanted should cost you about 13-15K, just to give some perspective.

I was thinking... Leon Mage has found some AMAZING stepcuts, and has some of the most amazing Pave rings around. And from what I've observed, if you buy both from him his prices are pretty great. I'd give Leon at
www.artofplatinum.com a call and give him your total budget, tell him you want the prettiest, largest EC he can find in a classic solitare with one sided pave 3/4 way around the shank and see what he turns up in your budget. A few people on here have just ended up with the loveliest rings by going this route. If Leon says an SI EC is eyclean, I trust him. I've seen three he's turned up to date. Jon at Good Old Gold has also come up with some beautiful SI EC's that have been either completely eyeclean, or so slightly included you have to squint to see them.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hopefully Storm will be along to evaluate these pics (he understands the JA photo set up much better than I do)...

But here is one I thought might be okay (though the P3 facets might be off or something because the center looks a little dark... again, Strom would have to tell you about that): http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Emerald-Diamond-1138537.asp

Probably not going to be eyeclean, but if Storm approves the cut, it might be worth a call... and for the price is might be worth buying it to see what you think of the inlcusion yourself (if JA says it's not very noticable). http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Emerald-Diamond-1210100.asp

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results