shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! David Klass Art Deco Sapphire Halo CAD Advice Needed! Pic heavy!

iheartcats2019

Rough_Rock
Hello! I am designing a new ring and would love to have more eyes on the CAD I just received from David Klass. First, here are some of my inspiration photos. I liked the proportion of diamond and sapphire in these images. It will be set in platinum with a CZ or Moissanite center until I can buy a diamond. My finger size is 7 and am considering an 8mm/2 carat equivalent. Do I need to go bigger to get the proportions? I want this to be my forever ring, so I don't mind if I need to save a while for a larger stone - I just want to rock the the perfect setting as soon as possible!
2-Carat-Old-European-Diamond-Sapphire-Accent-Halo-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-1.jpg
For a moment I had considered sapphires along the shank, but decided I want to use a small diamond from the first ring my fiancé ever gave me to put in the pave along the shank! It was actually a ring his mother FOUND a long time ago, when she gave him so he could propose to me, so it is very sentimental! Using it would make this setting so special. I haven't worn it regularly in years and I want to change that by using it here. I still love the proportion of diamond to halo in the next image regardless.

12133-TV.jpg
This ring is another pricescoper's and I love how delicate the halo is in this one too! Perhaps I shouldn't go quite as delicate for the sake of finger coverage? Not sure...
Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 3.35.17 PM.png
I had sent the next images as inspiration for the shank style. I liked this example because it basically has the same design of countless antique rings I saw when searching for inspiration; however, it looks a lot more modern. It was suggested to me in a prior post I made concerning this ring, before I got in touch with David Klass!
10902-vintage-solitaire-with-sculpted-pave-profile-1-5cb7aa8a8e9f8d3206f24c50.png 10902-vintage-solitaire-with-sculpted-pave-profile-2-5cb7aa8a8e9f8de58af24c51.png
10902-vintage-solitaire-with-sculpted-pave-profile-3-5cb7aa898e9f8d813af24c4f.png 10902-vintage-solitaire-with-sculpted-pave-profile-4-5cb7aa8a226895da583a72c9.png
When David sent the CAD, he asked me what I want the side profile/basket to look like, and this might be my favorite so far. (commitment issues, haha) I love the tiny stones on the side. I also wonder what it might look like to have a floral/rose design in the place of the scrollwork, but I'm not sure if that's possible and can't find a photo that fits what I'm trying to explain. I also may want to go even more simple on the profile - help me decide!!!
2.62-Old-Euro-Diamond-with-.66-Sapphire-Halo-in-Platinum-5-510x383.jpg
Without further ado, here is the CAD from Mr. Klass:
DK 252-QUAD-1.jpg
Please help me to refine my ideas. I love the boldness of the sapphire halo, so I want the rest of the ring to be simple, elegant, and understated. I will attach another photo I found from this site that was a Klass ring, to explain something I want to communicate to David as well. The following ring is very beautiful, and proves he can do a good job, but I think I would like minimal metal showing from the top down view. How can I ensure that?
68DFF362-AA24-447D-8443-833B4ECF5364.jpg
Here is an example with less metal from above:
2-Carat-Old-European-Diamond-Sapphire-Accent-Halo-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-1.jpg 0bd87bafbf43b22fecba2805c3841581.jpg
Anyways, thanks for stopping by! I am pretty new here. I have made a custom ring before (with moissaniteco!) and it didn't turn out quite right so I really want this one to be perfect! Any help is greatly appreciated! Have a great day!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you discussed your wishes with DK about replacing the center stone later on + you wanting a superthin, fine bezel?
What will be involved in taking out the original stone and what’s left of that bezel?
I’m sure it can be done, but just cover all your bases if this is your plan.

Pretty inspirations!

iheartcats2019

Rough_Rock
I told him I wanted to replace it later, but I haven't told him I wanted a thinner bezel yet! I want to get all my changes in one message so I don't bombard him with many different emails LOL! Thanks!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
C305CB37-9610-419E-8839-62B42E187BC8.jpeg
As for your current CAD, I placed next to it your first inspo you gave.
To the best of my ability- I made the inspo centerstone the same size as yours.
Although it’s tilted a bit, I think it explains the proportion differences in the sapphire, bezel, and overall.
Your current CAD ‘as is’ is very pretty, But it is a slightly different look than your original posted inspo.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Rfisher that DK needs to understand that you want to replace the stone someday and to make sure replacing the stone wont
mess up the bezel (and that is why he may need the wider bezel).

I dont think this setting is a good one to have made with intentions of resetting the center stone because the blue sapphires are being held by
the same bezel that is holding in the center. Seems really tricky to me but if DK understands what you plan on doing and says they can do it
then I guess that's up to you.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your design is pretty. I think you’re going to have to go with prongs for this ring. It’s costly to replace a bezel which gets sliced off & has to be rebuilt. Prongs will allow you to put your money towards your stone. I’ve been there done that kind of thing & learned the hard way with bezels. Lol. I love them but they are not cost friendly if you want to change stones or sell a setting. If you want the halo to resemble the inspiration pic (minimal metal) you might need to go bigger for the centre stone. I don’t know if a double halo would be feasible? Maybe a delicate diamond halo & then the sapphire one.
Talk to DK about your concerns. He’s very approachable.

catl8y

Rough_Rock
Thanks you guys! I will make sure he understands this and see his recommendations about the bezel!

Any suggestions for a design for the basket? I really appreciate everyone's ideas!

I wonder if a faux bezel would work? You might need to google that to see if you like the style (This is an example I found on PS, #10). You will be able to see prongs, but if you get delicate claw prongs it might minimise the visible appearance and will be significantly easier and cheaper to swap out the stone later. As per my understanding (I could be wrong) - prongs have more tolerance to small changes in stone size than bezels do, and you might it hard to find a diamond to the exact proportions of your moissanite/CZ. Also milgrain on the bezel will make it look more delicate in my opinion, though I agree with other posters you might need to go bigger with the centre if you want to keep both overall size and proportions.

catl8y

Rough_Rock
I'll look i to that. Also, what size center do you guys think?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you are going larger with a moissy or CZ, & eventually want to swap out that stone for a diamond, the price jumps quite significantly when you jump over the 2ct mark. You probably have to go up to a 9mm. You don't have large fingers at a size 7. The halo will add quite a bit. Take a piece of paper, cut out the size of the bezel (Cad) & tape it to your finger. Also, you can always change out the stone for a coloured stone & start over with a different ring if you end up buying a smaller diamond. I love bezels a lot as I mentioned, but dang it they are costly to replace. AllAboardTheBlingTrain mentioned a faux bezel which I agree with. Will be more future proof than a full on bezel. I'm done with traditional bezels, they are a hassle if you want to change it or even sell the setting. I had a 3 stone pendant made, by DK, a faux bezel. I love it. I have no anxiety should I want to change it up or sell it (if I want to repurpose the sides or whatever). I have that flexibility. I'll attach some pics to show you what it looks like. As for the basket, I say look at all his pictures & see if there is anything you like as it boils down to personal preference. When I had DK make my baskets, I had him stop the basket just under the rim of the faux bezel because I didn't want a puffy basket. I didn't want to see a flower pattern. Just a round rim. LOL I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. In the end, if you want a bezel, get a bezel. Your heart wants what it wants. :cool2:

Ignore the smudge. The stone sparkles like no tomorrow. LOL
IMG_4540.jpg Side View-- 3 stone pendant copy.jpg

Before centre stone was set.
Pendant Pic 2 copy.jpg

Here's the final Cad if that will help you.

FINAL CAD 2.jpg

catl8y

Rough_Rock
If you are going larger with a moissy or CZ, & eventually want to swap out that stone for a diamond, the price jumps quite significantly when you jump over the 2ct mark. You probably have to go up to a 9mm. You don't have large fingers at a size 7. The halo will add quite a bit. Take a piece of paper, cut out the size of the bezel (Cad) & tape it to your finger. Also, you can always change out the stone for a coloured stone & start over with a different ring if you end up buying a smaller diamond. I love bezels a lot as I mentioned, but dang it they are costly to replace. AllAboardTheBlingTrain mentioned a faux bezel which I agree with. Will be more future proof than a full on bezel. I'm done with traditional bezels, they are a hassle if you want to change it or even sell the setting. I had a 3 stone pendant made, by DK, a faux bezel. I love it. I have no anxiety should I want to change it up or sell it (if I want to repurpose the sides or whatever). I have that flexibility. I'll attach some pics to show you what it looks like. As for the basket, I say look at all his pictures & see if there is anything you like as it boils down to personal preference. When I had DK make my baskets, I had him stop the basket just under the rim of the faux bezel because I didn't want a puffy basket. I didn't want to see a flower pattern. Just a round rim. LOL I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. In the end, if you want a bezel, get a bezel. Your heart wants what it wants. :cool2:

Ignore the smudge. The stone sparkles like no tomorrow. LOL
IMG_4540.jpg Side View-- 3 stone pendant copy.jpg

Before centre stone was set.
Pendant Pic 2 copy.jpg

Here's the final Cad if that will help you.

FINAL CAD 2.jpg

By the way! I'm a CCU nurse, too!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
catl8y, how wonderful! Hope your work life is improving and your home life balances the crazy. Having a lovely project to focus on is lovely timing. It brings joy & focuses attention on so many positive changes you will be embarking on.

If you are still able to wear bands to work, buy a work band, simple 2-3m, no stones, easily fits under gloves, maybe milgrain edge or hand engraving. Buy something you would consider a work band. I had a pave band that matched the pave in my e-ring shank. I left those at home on my work days. Oh boy did I look forward to wearing my diamond set on my 1st day off shift. It was exciting to be reunited with my lovelies every few days when I was off.

iheartcats2019

Rough_Rock
I made some changes!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the CADs look great as they are! I like the gallery, the shank, the halo proportions, etc.

However, I am going to be really honest with you. I would never, ever make a bezeled halo diamond ring with the thought of resetting the center stone later. Number one, you might come across a great stone at a good price that will not be the exact size to go in that setting. The bezel might never be the same once a stone is removed and another put in. If you think this is the forever center stone, then that is fine. But if I were planning on buying a diamond later on, I would have the setting made at that time to perfectly fit that stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results