shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Cracked/damaged sapphire

Saphgem

Rough_Rock
Agree with theredspinel. One part of the package can be damaged while the other can be totally fine. Happened with my luggage and contents. Acceleration. Mahaha sounds like an engineer or science student. Please do not use descriptions that will misinform the next consumer in the future.

GemRite

Rough_Rock
One last thing to add since I have read a lot about packing and the possibility of damage in there. Shortly after it occurred I spoke with UPS. Envelopes and padded envelopes are not shipped with just the regular boxes. They are placed in a plastic container(box) together and moved this way along the process and not tossed in with the large boxes. Since a lot of the letter size envelopes have legal documents that can not be damaged. So this is for the arm chair detectives out there. It was never exposed to any force capable of damaging the stone. All this was taken in my consideration. When I normally ship I use US registered mail for international. My jewelry insurance normally covers loss and theft if shipped with in their recommended shippers and methods. However he insisted in overnight against my strong suggestions. I usually use a box and plenty of protection. No issues with my shipping. So the claim it was damaged in shipping overnight in a bin with other envelopes is extremely hard to believe. So people, the padded envelope I sent him was not in the general box area with heavy boxes but in a special container for envelopes treated delicately. I hope this helps. I am certain damage did not occur in shipping after calling UPS this all was taken into consideration making my very difficult decision.

deco1

Rough_Rock
If I'm not mistaken, when shipping via UPS, the Declared Value service insures any package up to $50,000.00 (with an additional fee).

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"One last thing to add since I have read a lot about packing and the possibility of damage in there. Shortly after it occurred I spoke with UPS. Envelopes and padded envelopes are not shipped with just the regular boxes. They are placed in a plastic container(box) together and moved this way along the process and not tossed in with the large boxes. Since a lot of the letter size envelopes have legal documents that can not be damaged....I am certain damage did not occur in shipping after calling UPS this all was taken into consideration making my very difficult decision."
I'm sorry, this is incorrect. The vast majority of the shipping process IS automated and mechanized. The only way to insure against damage is to have proper packing. Damage by mechanical compression or drops can affect gemstones, without shredding for example legal documents which can be compressed. I know if I was shipping a 9K stone, for sure I would not use cardboard and padding in an envelope; I would use a box that could not be compressed.

Last edited:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the sapphire shouldn't have been sent via UPS, regardless of how it was packaged. Industrial diamonds & loose gems are among the items Not Accepted for Transportation that "shippers are prohibited from shipping" & which UPS will not knowingly accept. UPS's April 2017 Terms & Conditions of Service - United States, page 6, column 1:
https://www.ups.com/media/en/terms_service_us.pdf

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results