shape
carat
color
clarity

Help.....Concerned about appearance of ring.......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trid316

Rough_Rock
Hi, this is my first post, and I just have 2 questions regarding a ring that I recently placed an order for. The ring is in, and I went and saw it (w/o the main stone, as they are scheduled to set that this week).

The ring is 18K gold, and has 32 pave diamonds on the sides.

It is a Veraggio EUR-8039. I''ve been trying to find a picture online (veraggio.com, other jewelers sites, etc.), but can''t find anything

(1) Does anybody know where I can find a picture of this particular ring???

Also, when I looked at the ring in the store, it was set in Platinum. However, as my GF wanted yellow gold, the jeweler customized it. When I was looking at the ring in the Platinum setting, it appeared as though the pave diamonds on the sides were butted up against each other (tight/no space between them), for a continuous flow/look of diamonds (very sparkly). However, now that I''ve seen the ring in yellow gold, there is actually space between the pave diamonds, and you can actually see yellow gold between them. I realized why I had originally assumed they were butted up against each other - because the ring was platinum, and the platinum background (between the pave diamonds) makes it appear as though the diamonds are butted up against each other - it just makes it all blend together I guess. However, I''m not sure I like the looks of the ring as much now - since you can see gold background between the pave diamonds.

When I asked the jewelers about this, they replied that I could get RODIUM PLATING done to the spaces between the pave diamonds on the sides. And this would create an "illusion" per se, or make it look like the diamonds are butted right up against each other, and give it the more continuous flow/look of diamonds. I''m not sure what this will look like, with the rest of the ring being yellow gold. I''ll probably wait and see what my GF will want to do, before I make any rash decisions.

(2) But I was wondering if any of you had any feelings/advice/insight on putting the rodium plating between the pave diamonds? (will it hurt the diamonds, look dumb, look good, wear away etc.)

I''m just torn on what to do, I want it to be perfect.

Thanks so much, your input is much apprecaited! :)

Patty

Ideal_Rock
There was a post here once about pave diamonds in yellow gold versus white gold or platinum. Maybe Valeria has some pictures? I have a yellow gold ring with pave set stones on the sides. I like the yellow gold showing through. It''s a very different look than the white gold settings, but I prefer to see the yellow as opposed to white underneath the stones.

I think if you get the yellow gold rhodium plated, you are going to have to watch it and have it re-plated whenever the rhodium wears off and the yellow shows through. The "all white" look might give you the whole "wall of diamonds" that most people love when get pave settings, but on a yellow gold ring, I would prefer the yellow underneath.

Here is a picture of my ring. My stones are larger than what you usually see in pave settings, though.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
HERE is a link to the thread that discussed pave set in yellow gold. It has some examples of pave with a white background opposed to pave with a yello background.

This picture shows what yours might look like if you rhodium plate the background:

3005079.jpg

As opposed to this if you leave the background yellow:

B0000TH39W.01-A1NSBT2404R5M4._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rhodium plating will do no harm, but may not do much good other than in a temporary way. It will rub off over a rather short time depending on how harse the wearer is.

There needs to be some space between pave'' stones. It is the look of mostly diamonds with very little metal that is what people like. There is bound to be more visiblity to yellow gold versus white when it is between white diamonds. Don''t get too overworked about it.

If you want to have it rhodium plated, get it done and see if you like it. It can be stripped off if you don''t like it. It can be replated once in a while if you really prefer it. Probably no one else will really look so closely. If she wanted yellow, then it comes with the natural consequences of a yellow pave'' situation. If she really dislikes the mounting, it can always be replaced for an anniversary or birthday in the coming months......It won''t ever be your biggest problem.

trid316

Rough_Rock
Just for informational purposes on my part, but is there any way to actually get the diamonds to sit close together (physically).

In other words, I understand how the pave diamonds look, but is there any way to PHYSICALLY make the diamonds closer together, and get that "continuous diamond" look?

I guess I should''ve researched a little further from the start.

Dont'' get me wrong, it still looks good, but I''m just trying to understand IF she wants it changed (cuz I''m not sure she expected it to look like this....) So we''ll see...

Thanks!

trid316

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input, as well as the pictures/links. I do agree, that the look of gold looks good behind yours. I''m just a little concerned about the one I ordered, because it''s only 1 row of pave diamonds, rather than 2 or 3 rows as seen in your ring, and the other pictures/links. See, there are 5 diamonds on each side of the main stone, and then there are 11 diamonds that face the front (towards fingernail) and another 11 that face back (towards wrist). So overall, there are a lot of pave diamonds, and a lot of space inbetween them. But like I said, there''s only one row (1 row on top, 1 row on face, 1 row on back). And the fact that they''re on different planes/surfaces, makes the the space between them more noticeable.

Like I said before, it''s not that I don''t necessary like it, I just wonder what she will think......

So I guess I''ll have to wait and see what she says, right? :)

Thanks again for your help. I almost wish I could just get it over with, so I could get her reaction, and take care of it (if she wants), but I have to wait til the end of May......

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/2/2005 1:54:6 PM
Author: trid316

So I guess I'll have to wait and see what she says, right? :)
What you describe is the expected look of diamond pave on yellow gold. Sometimes more space than needed is left between the little stones to create a "sprinkled" look - and I am not talking about jewelry that tried to save on diamonds...

To get a continuous diamond surface on contrasting metal, invisible setting or channel setting of diamonds cut to model might be the way.
ambar_quadrillion4.jpg

But it is a different look altogether,not necesarily better.

Using yellow diamonds is yet another possibility.

Just my 0.2.
2.gif
I would not use rhodium plating ...
20.gif

trid316

Rough_Rock
Thanks Valeria, like I said, I probly should''ve done more research before buying, but hindsight is 20/20, right?

So, just hypothetically, can you make round diamonds channel set? or invisible setting?

I don''t think at this point that it would be even feasible to change those diamonds from a pave setting, to a "channel setting" as you described? Or would it be?

I guess I''m just a little hestitant on whether this is what she REALLY wanted. She did look at this particular e-ring, and loved it, but then again, it was in Platinum, and she wanted yellow gold. So I''m not sure she really KNEW what to expect. She just knew she likes yellow gold, as that is what the rest of her jewelery is.

Thanks Valeria :)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/2/2005 10:5:26 PM

So, just hypothetically, can you make round diamonds channel set? or invisible setting?
Only rectangular and square diamonds get "invisibly set" ... actually, I've only ever seen princess cuts set this way.

Channel set rounds leave spaces between them - probably as prominent if not more than in pave. Again square and rectangular stones fill the channel edge to edge.

Squares do not get pave set (that I know of). At best the tiny spaces between round stones is just enough space for the metal beads that hold them down.

Do you think your girl will just not tell you she would rather have this detail changed ?

How "tight" is the pave anyway ?

The one below is a rather nice example that turned up in due time... If allot better is possible, it is hard for me to guess how or where.

P245_1_1124200435519PM

(it is iten # P245 from Walter Arnstein)

trid316

Rough_Rock

Do you think your girl will just not tell you she would rather have this detail changed ? If you giver her the opportunity to have something about the setting changed...

Well, I just think that when she picked it out, she liked the way it looked, because it appeared to be a continuous flow of diamonds (that was my take on it anways). However, like I said earlier, when I saw the ring in the store, it didn''t appear as continuous.

As far as her telling me if she wants it changed, I want her to have what she truly wants, and she''s knows I''m open and honest, and she''s pretty honest too. So I would encourage her to express her TRUE feelings on the ring, and would not be hurt if she did want it changed. So I would HOPE that she would be honest, as she does have to live w/ it the rest of her life, right :)

How "tight" is the pave anyway ?

I''m honestly not quite sure. I can''t seem to find to actual picture of the ring, but I will actually be picking it up on Thursday, so I will definitely take a picture and put it on here. The more I try to picture it in my head, the more I get confused/forgetful on how it looked.....
21.gif
So yeah, I will definitely get a picture up here ASAP.

I guess the other thing that crossed my mind is maybe the pave diamonds are just too small for the ring, and appear to be overpowered by the amount of yellow gold. I will eagerly await any feedback/comments on the picture.

Here''s the description used on the appraisal report:

0.78 CT Round Star 129 Diamond
I in Color, SI2 in Clarity
Briliiance Report: White Light=VH+, Color Light=VH, Scintillation=VH
Paid about $3,500 for Diamond

34-Round Brilliant cut side diamonds bed set
0.55 CT Total Diamond Weight
G-H in Color, SI1 in Clarity
Paid about $1,800 for Ring (in 18K Gold)

SO yeah, some questions now running through my head.....

(1) Is bead set (referred to above) the same as PAVE set? Maybe I was confused.... Maybe they''re bead set, not pave?
(2) Maybe the diamonds are too small, considering they were only 0.55 Total, and there are 34 of them....
(3) Sometimes I feel like I got taken advantage of on price, but the brilliance is amazing on the Star 129....
(4) Would brilliant cuts look better than the rounds, if they were channel set.....

Any thoughts? Valeria, you seem to be very knowledgable and helpful. Also, everyone else''s input is greater appreciated too....!

Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/3/2005 12:55:32 AM

(1) Is bead set (referred to above) the same as PAVE set? Maybe I was confused.... Maybe they''re bead set, not pave?
it is the same... sometimes "bead set" is used when the diamonds are larger than the 1 pointers usually set pave.

(2) Maybe the diamonds are too small, considering they were only 0.55 Total, and there are 34 of them....
no way. The smaller they are the "tighter" the pave and the harder to make. These can be less than 1 point each on paved prongs. One pointers are not an unusual choice. As far as I know.

(3) Sometimes I feel like I got taken advantage of on price, but the brilliance is amazing on the Star 129....
depends on what the setting looks like, but it doesn''t sound too bad compared to what Pricescope sellers have to offer. Of course I do not know your alternatives.

(4) Would brilliant cuts look better than the rounds, if they were channel set.....
"brilliant cut" and "rounds" stand for the same thing. I have no reason to believe channel set is any better - it would definitely not provide the total diamond coverage you are looking for.
Unless this ring turns up a really shoddy version of pave, I can''t possibly see what is there to worry about. If she does not like the ring there''s always some opportunity to have it redone in the more or less near future.

Well, I don''t know all that much, but surely love the look you seem so unsure about
9.gif

trid316

Rough_Rock
Thanks again. I will be sure to post pictures as soon as I get it. I just wish I could pick it up right NOW. It was supposed to be done Sat., but they hadn''t set it yet! So now I play the wiating game :)

I eagerly await everyones personal opinions.

Just curious, Valeria, you have many posts on here. Do you work in the diamond business, or just very well versed?

Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/3/2005 1:41:4 AM

Just curious, Valeria, you have many posts on here. Do you work in the diamond business, or just very well versed?
I have nothing to do with the jewelry business, just got badly addicted to Pricescope... so that number of posts gew slowly out of controll over a year or so.
7.gif

trid316

Rough_Rock
40.gif
I almost have the feeling she was going more for this look (what I interpretted of course, and I''ll admit that I''m not a mind-reader though) :) These I''m assuming are channel set, but again, look different in platinum....

We''ll wait and see on Thursday. Well actually, we''ll really have to wait and see in the end of May
33.gif

diamond%20band%201.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/3/2005 2:24:37 AM

I''ll admit that I''m not a mind-reader though
Nobody is... If you show her this thread things should get clear now.

Btw, these are channel set rounds in yellow gold.

10356.jpg

Tiffany ring at Signedpieces

If the pave versus channel set is the worst worry you''ve got before proposing, good for you !
2.gif

trid316

Rough_Rock
Just a little annoyed.
29.gif
Was supposed to pick up the e-ring tonight, but it won''t be ready til Saturday. Aggghhh, the suspense is killing me. I just want to have it in my possession already!!

So, you''ll have to wait for pics for a couple more days. Hopefully I can post them Saturday before my GF gets back into town. Keep your fingers crossed!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fingers and toes crossed, I bet it will look great. Good luck!!!

trid316

Rough_Rock
So, I finally got the ring, and man, am I relieved....... WHEW!!

Let me know what you think.....

I just hope she likes it
36.gif

Thanks to everyone for your help and guidance!

TRID316-1.JPG

trid316

Rough_Rock
Here are some more pics......

TRID316-7.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Trid,
It''s just stunning. I love the detail of the pave and see that it''s on all sides. The stone looks gorgeous!!! She''s going to flip when she see''s it!!! Good job!!
30.gif

sweetnghtmr

Rough_Rock
I can''t speak for you and/or your g/f but to me that ring looks PERFECT! I wouldn''t worry about a thing! I think it''s just amazing, she''s one lucky girl!!

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I haven''t worn yellow gold since I was 14... but that ring is amazing! Wow.
She is going to LOVE it!

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
It''s gorgeous! You did a fabulous job!
30.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
It turned out GREAT!
30.gif

I''m sure she''ll love it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW!! She''s gonna LOVE it. It''s GORGEOUS
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results