shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting HELP please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
Please help me with setting advice.

I am looking seriously at the upper left ring with pave and baguettes. It has a lot going on with style.

I am going for yellow gold and wondered how pave will look with yellow gold, since i've never seen it.

I am a little concerned about ordering yellow gold without seeing it. It is custom order so 'no return'.

Can anyone direct me to this setting on-line? To a vendor or the designer's website? If a vendor reads this I am asking them to please PM with the info if you are not allowed to post.

Thanks for your opinions.

RINGS1.jpg

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
This is the front shot.

It has a lot of style. I at first thought it was too big. I took in the 6.8mm stone and sure, a small thin setting makes the stone look bigger, but it looks plenty big in this setting.

Opinions please, Thanks.

Front shot.jpg

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
I think yellow gold and pave set diamonds go VERY well together....
love.gif

Rimg1336.jpg

reena

Ideal_Rock
i think that the setting you've chosen is really pretty. does it normally come in gold, or are you having it made custom? if it's the former, don't they have any pics they can show you?

i think that the gold/pave combo would definitely look pretty, but IMO it would probably have a fairly different look than "regular" WG or plat pave. in the latter examples, the color of the diamonds and the color of the metals are very similar, so when the diamonds are set as close together as they are in pave it gives the illusion of a surface covered entirely in diamonds, with the underlying metal hardly visible. with yellow gold, the contrast between the stones and the metal may be more obvious. (not a bad thing, just a different look.)

good luck!

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 10/21/2004 8:39:54 PM reena wrote:

i think that the setting you've chosen is really pretty. does it normally come in gold, or are you having it made custom? if it's the former, don't they have any pics they can show you?

IT is normally platinum. The yellow gold is a special order, but they did not have a picture. I thought if I could find the designer website or vendor, sometimes they have the ability to make the photo yellow gold.

The prongs are going to be white gold or platinum (i forgot which), but the jeweler was a little unclear about the 'thin basket' piece of metal attached to the prongs.

i think that the gold/pave combo would definitely look pretty, but IMO it would probably have a fairly different look than 'regular' WG or plat pave. in the latter examples, the color of the diamonds and the color of the metals are very similar, so when the diamonds are set as close together as they are in pave it gives the illusion of a surface covered entirely in diamonds, with the underlying metal hardly visible. with yellow gold, the contrast between the stones and the metal may be more obvious. (not a bad thing, just a different look.)

What do you think about having the tiny prongs that set the pave diamonds, done in white or platinum? then it would retain the 'tiny sizzle' look.

Thanks for your input.

reena

Ideal_Rock
oooh, like this? VERY cool, i think.

reena

Ideal_Rock
as opposed to this, where the whole thing is yellow gold. i don't know, this one's very pretty too. i kinda like the way the diamonds are laying in the gold background. the first one is more of a two-tone look, with the yellow and white gold together.

B0000TH39W.01-A1NSBT2404R5M4._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi,

Reena's two examples show the primary difference the color of the background metal has.

White gold w/rhodium/platinum and nice diamonds visually make the total pave area sparkle as all you really see at a glance is white sparkle. etc.

Yellow gold gives a visual demarcation and it is easy to see where the diamonds stop and where the metal starts, which to me is a much less desireable look.

It is all about personal preference and what YOU like.

However, when I demonstrate this effect as well as the effect of white metal vs yellow metal for diamond stud earrings, people (even ones that only wear yellow metal) overwhelmingly agree that white metal is better for showing diamonds.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
My wedding ring has pave set stones in yellow gold. I really like the look although it's not really popular right now. Also, my pave set stones are .07 each so they are larger than most stones that are pave. You get more of a look of the individual stones on mine than you do with littler stones.

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for helping.

Reena, when looking at the photos of yellow gold pave and white gold, am I correct that within the pave setting, only the mounting prongs can be seen? If you change the prong color to white you've acheived the look?

On my ring i am thinking the gold shank would outline the stones, then if they used white prongs in the pave setting, it would be a nice look.

Also, anyone take a guess at the designer?

The jewelry store hesitated didn't want to say or didn't know, while they had designer sections of well known designers like Tacori.

thanks

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I could find that setting on-line in yellow gold so you could see a pic... I bet it'd look really great tho!

I also found a setting that I really like in yellow gold
love.gif
this thin blingy one Amazon (or Solomon)'s selling at a fab price LINK...

Let's see if i can post a pic...

Edited to add: sadly, it's not letting me - oh well
2.gif
click the link if you're interested
9.gif

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
Also, this is a $1475 plus tax special order, not returnable, so I would REALLY like to see the ring in gold.

If I could find the ring in gold, then I would be able to return it if it wasn't satisfactory. So finding the ring in gold would be awesome, but I have looked and looked.

If I knew the designer that would be a big help.

reena

Ideal_Rock
i dont understand how the store can't tell you who the designer is? very strange.

blueman i'm no expert but i'd think you are right--if the pave is mounted in the WG or plat or whatever, you've achieved the look of "regular" pave.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results