shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing size of shared prong eternity band

R

rapunchel

Hello all,
I will soon receive my engagement ring, a 1.25ct round brilliant in a white gold Tiffany style setting. The band will be 3-3.5 mm. I am over the moon about the ring, I think it will look beautiful <3

Now I have started thinking about the wedding band, as we will get married pretty soon. I want a shared prong eternity band, and now I am wondering about the pointer size of the stones in the band. I want the band to be substantial enough to be worn alone, but not ruining the balance with the engagement ring.

I have been looking at 10pt and 12pt eternity bands. What do you think will look best for the overall look? I would love to see pictures if you have any!

For reference, my finger is a size 6.

Thank you :kiss2:

R

rapunchel

Hmm, maybe your right. Personally I don't like the look of the very thin bands that are popular right now, which is partly why I'mm looking at 10-12 pts.

Would love to see pictures of solitaires with 12 pts eternity rings if anyone has this :kiss2:

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Just what I got:
  • seven stone band 10 pt to be worn alone;
  • half circle 3 pt diamonds to be stacked;
  • a plain band to be worn both alone and stacked.
In my opinion eternity bands are charming but:
sometimes uncomfortable;
always expensive and not sizeable,
so you can buy a couple of half circle bands - more looks for different occasions - at the price of one eternity.
Best to you,
purplesilk.
:wavey:

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For a 1.25 ct solitaire, I agree that .12 would be overwhelming. .10 might work, but is really pushing it, IMO. I think .06 - .08 (2.2-2.5 mm) would probably be more complimentary to a 1.25 ct solitaire. For reference, my shared prong band has .12 ct stones/3.1 mm with a 1.85 ct/7.87 mm solitaire (ring size is 5.25-5.5, but rings are sized a bit larger to accommodate my knuckle). I usually wear a thin micro-pave band in between. Definitely check out the links posted above and try on a bunch of different sizes to see what works best for you. I thought for sure I would like something in the .17-.20/3.5-3.8 mm range, but after trying on different sizes, .12/3.1 mm is the largest I could go to compliment but not overwhelm my solitaire. Of course, if you are going for a super blingy look and it works for your lifestyle, .10-.12 may work for you. GL!

ETA: I agree with @purplesilk re: eternity bands. My shared prong band is a 7 stone.

7SStoneA.jpg
PerfectSolSettingA_files.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

NB The lady that had this ring started only one thread on it - and it was expressing her doubts about the setting, as she felt the center stone was lost in the 12 point sides.

I think 5 point stones is a perfect size. It's not 'super thin' or difficult to see, but won't take away from your center stone.

Here's a photo of my 3 stone ring with one of my bands, made with 11 point stones. NB the comments, ALL of which said they felt it looked better with the band I have made with 3 pt stones. And keep in mind - my center stone is 3.05ct, the sides are 2 x .62 ct, and the total weight is 4.3 ctw.

By the way - I agree with the comments on my ring - I think the 11 point stones are too large.

First photo below is with the 11 pt stones. Second photo below is with the 3 pt stones. The second photo is definitely more elegant.

20190224_114253.jpg

Stack of the day.jpeg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
74A92E2C-4BCD-4783-B1B9-8B36A04ECE95.jpeg 10 pts, center 1.21,.42, .42

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you thought about chasing the width of the band to match vs the carat weight? You could reach out to ID Jewelry in NYC, give them your ideal width and tell them you want PS quality stones. It would be quick and easy and you'd end up with exactly what you are after.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
I had a 1.23 solitaire that I paired with a seven stone of 8 pointers and I wouldn’t have gone bigger than that. Let me find my old thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results