shape
carat
color
clarity

Do the 12 pointers take away from my center stone?

eay1127

Rough_Rock
I just had these made and am wondering if I made a mistake. Engagement ring center stone is 1.2 ct and I chose 12 pointers for the side stones and the 7-stone matching band. Should I have gone with 10 or 8 pointers instead? Do the 12 pointers drown out my center stone?

img_14631.jpg

img_14632.jpg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it as is. How long have you had it? Maybe since it is new you just need time to adjust to having that much bling on your finger?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful ring and set. Personally I love the blingy look of your e-ring. I find the stack a bit overwhelming though, but that's a matter of personal taste. I wonder what it looks like if you wear a plain band between the blingy bands.

eay1127

Rough_Rock
I just picked them up yesterday. My e ring was initially just the solitaire on a thin gold band so this is a big change. I agree that wearing one or the other by itself, I love. But, both of them together I feel is too much.

Strawberry129

Rough_Rock
It's a bit much since your diamond seems a bit 'lost' with so many pointers. Just my opinion, but you do you. :)

Dani5577

Rough_Rock
I've been trying to decide on an upgrade and am struggling with the same decision but your ring makes me want to get 12 pointers! It's so beautiful! I'm sure you'll get used to it.

eay1127

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the feedback.
I'm also wondering about the way the jeweler oriented the prongs. 99.9% of 6-prong rings I've seen have the prongs at 12, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10. I'm wondering if I have the head rotated so that 2 of the prongs are at 12 and 6, will it make the center stone appear slightly larger.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the size!!! Proportions look fine to me.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your set is beautiful! I see what you mean about the orientation of the prongs. I personally like to see prongs at 6 and 12 o'clock. I do think rotating the head might make a difference. Enjoy your beautiful rings!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's all about what your eye is accustomed to. Personally, I like it. If you have the opportunity to have big diamonds, baby go big!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Your set looks fantastic! I understand what you mean about the prongs, but it may not be worth messing with - it looks great just as-is! :love:

What does your DH think?

eay1127

Rough_Rock
Thank you!! He LOVES it, says it's beautiful. He thinks I'm crazy for not being head over heels over it.

Q

Queenie60

It's a matter of personal taste. I think it looks very nice - blingy and beautiful. :love:

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they're beautiful and I like the prongs just the way they are! But if you feel like the bling factor is a bit overwhelming, maybe a thin spacer band worn between the two rings would break it up a bit?

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
eay1127|1485051197|4117857 said:
Thank you all for the feedback.
I'm also wondering about the way the jeweler oriented the prongs. 99.9% of 6-prong rings I've seen have the prongs at 12, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10. I'm wondering if I have the head rotated so that 2 of the prongs are at 12 and 6, will it make the center stone appear slightly larger.

I think it's beautiful, but I do think the center stone gets a bit lost in the wall of bling. I don't mind that, because I LOVE a wall of bling personally - I wear two eternity bands together frequently because I like that look. I really don't think it would be worth the time and money to rotate the prongs on your center diamond, honestly.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer prongs at 6 and 12 too, but it isn;t a huge deal to me. I would ask your jeweler about it. If it is a peg head it will be easy to swap it out, if the entire ring is cast as one piece I would leave it alone.

eay1127

Rough_Rock
Appraisal says it's a "die struck 6-prong head."

img_14643.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
eay1127|1485100628|4118064 said:
Thank you!! He LOVES it, says it's beautiful. He thinks I'm crazy for not being head over heels over it.
I'm not sure I would mess with the ring, unless you have 110% confidence in the jeweler's benchwork quality.

I would hate to hear that the setting wound up crooked, or tilted, or asymmetrical, etc. and then you're REALLY unhappy.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That makes me think it is this type of head. They can pop out the dia, remove the existing head, put in new head, set diamond - fairly easily. If you are concerned get a second and third jeweler opinion.

img_3925.png

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think your ring is lovely, but the fact you're questioning it tells me you aren't happy with it in some way and that's what is important. I agree with switching out the wedding band for a plain one at a store and see if that makes a difference to you and maybe changing the head if that's what is catching your eye. It can be hard to get everything right on the first try. There are lots of us who have wanted to change something!!

eay1127

Rough_Rock
I didn't want just a plain band. I just feel I should've gone with smaller diamonds so that my center stone would've remained the star of the show. As others have said, I feel my center stone is "lost in the wall of bling" and doesn't stand out like it did on the plain gold band. It's just very difficult to picture in your head how something will look. But, I wanted more bling and, by golly, I got it!!!

img_14651.jpg

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I rather like the look of the two of them together. The older I get, the more I like traditional sets. :appl:

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it! Looks very blingy :appl: :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is very pretty but it is something only you can decide.

It is blingy and the center stone does look less pronounced than if the melee was smaller. I used to have 10 pointers with my MRB ER and it was similar to your look and ultimately I decided I didn't care for the way my MRB was in the "wall of bling" so to speak but I am a solitaire girl. Took me a while to figure that one out and it is a journey as often happens to come to the ER ring of your dreams. Good luck on that journey and enjoy your travels and choices along the way.

It is give and take. Your center diamond will stand alone as the star of the show in a less blingy setting but then it will all be less blingy. So it is down to your preferences and something to think about. It is not always a simple or apparent decision as both looks are pretty and it comes down to personal preference and sometimes we don't even know our own personal preferences until we have lived with the choices for a long while.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks beautiful! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results