shape
carat
color
clarity

Help a diamond newbie make the solitaire to 3-stone transition?

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Hello PS-ers!

I usually stay in the realms of the Colored Stones forum while lurking in Rocky Talky and SMTB, but I am venturing out to seek some expert diamond and setting opinions! :)

I'm thinking through a 5-year anniversary reset of my lavender spinel, and have decided to go with a 3-stone. My current solitaire is set too high for my liking, with a thicker shank and "blunt" prongs that make the stone look like more squared than it really is.

I started off being inspired by Meghan Markle's e-ring, and think I'd like to set my stone between two round diamonds with some modifications. I've read so many helpful 3-stone threads and found so much inspiration, but of course when it comes to making decisions for myself I'm torn! I got some great feedback in CS, but now that I'm thinking through diamonds and setting details I figured it wouldn't hurt to reach out to a wider audience.

My current thoughts are to "merge" @mrs-b's beautiful 3-stone with DK's latest convertible creation he posted on his IG (and omg if this is PS-er's ring I can't wait to see more!), by having my spinel set in slightly separated double prongs with a milgrained basket detail that I'm hoping will help accentuate the pillowy shape rather than square off the corners without having to go with a full bezel to achieve the same effect. I want it to look sleek and unified, with the diamonds providing some contrast while accenting my spinel. Thinking about 4mm side stones to go with my 8.2mm x 7.7mm spinel, as I'm more in the @yssie camp of preferring side stones as accents (ring size is 4.5).

Given that he made both inspiration settings and that there are many positive experiences reported on PS, I'm likely to go with DK for this setting, so wanting to get as much worked out ahead of time so that hopefully I don't have to go back and forth too much on CADs.

My questions are:

a) Do you think the prong arrangement I'm proposing will work nicely with the cushion/round combo, or would I be better to go with 4 prongs in a trapezoidal orientation (the outer prongs placed closer to each other to create a tapered effect from side to side).

Another option I've toyed with is to bezel the side stones, but not sure how that would interact with a basket set center stone if it had the detail I have in mind.

b) Is the milgrain basket idea visible from the top a good idea, or will it detract from the clean lines that characterize @mrs-b's stunning setting?

c) Would a rose gold basket make sense to "camouflage" the prongs better? I prefer to highlight the blue overtones in my stone than pink, and am not sure whether rose gold will bring out the pink too much, or help the center stone stand out for itself (vs. getting "consumed" by white prongs). The shank and side stones would be set in white gold.

d) Should I just let DK source side stones for me? Is there a particular colour range I should think about to go with the spinel/gold choices I settle on? What kind of clarity should be my "minimum" for 4mm diameter size range? Obviously CS is my comfort zone, so no clue what route to go for diamonds to balance cost with quality.

Any other thoughts or ideas are definitely welcome - this will be my first custom piece, so I want to do it justice. Thank you SOOOOOO much for inputs!
Here are some pictures to help visualize what I'm thinking:

My current ring:
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 10.51.33 AM.png

@mrs-b's stunner that has become my main inspo:
Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 7.52.25 PM.png

The basket detail for the center stone I'm envisioning:
Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 7.11.09 PM.png

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the rounds are going to be gorgeous, white or rose gold prongs, hard choice. I thinkI would like the rose but I’m not you. I would let DK obtain the stones unless you want
WF Aca’s. Either way it’s going to be a stunner!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the 3 stone idea! Do you have a wedding band you wear with your ring?

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
I think the rounds are going to be gorgeous, white or rose gold prongs, hard choice. I thinkI would like the rose but I’m not you. I would let DK obtain the stones unless you want
WF Aca’s. Either way it’s going to be a stunner!

Thank you @AprilBaby! Maybe I'll see if I can unset the stone and look at it in a stock rose gold setting to help decide... now if I can only decide how I want the sides to be set then I can start!

Love the 3 stone idea! Do you have a wedding band you wear with your ring?

Thank you @motownmama! I wear a plain 2mm white gold band with it currently, and I also have a channel set half eternity that I sometimes stack that has carved walls to follow the stone shape. I'll attach a pic of the two bands that I sometimes wear without the e-ring (since it's set so high currently I often leave it behind when I feel it's at risk of being snagged on things).

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 2.04.20 PM.png

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Hello lovelies!

I now have a CAD and would love some feedback. I have gone a few iterations with David Klass, and feel we're getting close but I'm struggling to imagine how it will translate...

1. Do I go with 4mm or 4.5mm sides? Version A has the smaller side stones and I've seen a 3D print, whereas Version B has slightly larger side stones.

Version A (4mm side stones):
DK 63352-QUAD (2).jpg
Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.19.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.19.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.19.20 AM.png

Version B (4.5mm side stones):
dk 63352-quad (3).jpg

2. I think part of why I'm not sure about the side stone size is I can't imagine how they will look once the prongs are finished. I don't want the round sides to end up looking trapezoidal with the way I've arranged the prongs, but I also don't know if I want to switch to 3 prongs on the rounds. Should I make the donuts under the side stones smaller so the baskets taper in at the base?

3. Any other modifications to help with an overall "sleek" look? I also learned a lot from @allaboutcushions thread and how little tweaks really changed how the stones looked in relation to each other, and think I may want to raise the height of the center slightly...

Thanks for feedback!!

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Did you ever progress with this? Your spinel is absolutely stunning :kiss2:

Thank you! Yes, I am just getting ready to ship my stone :oops2: (might wait for all this crazy weather to calm down since it's causing some havoc with the postal system).

I ended up going with a different basket arrangement, you can see the other thread here:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! Yes, I am just getting ready to ship my stone :oops2: (might wait for all this crazy weather to calm down since it's causing some havoc with the postal system).

I ended up going with a different basket arrangement, you can see the other thread here:

I would be curious about updates on this!!! :)

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to keep everyone in suspense!! My son was born a month ago and I’ve been waiting to make sure my finger die goes back to normal... hoping if we can get a chance to make it to fedex soon I can send the stone, but we just went into another covid lockdown

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I remember your engagement ring, I love that color purple !!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results