shape
carat
color
clarity

Hello Royal baby ...

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
i love that Kate has come out to show off the baby in a dress that highlights her natural post baby figure and bump. good on her. it sounds like she wasn't too posh to push or hide away until she had her tiny figure back. i did find it a bit creepy that she chose a dress so similar to what Diana wore when you presented baby Will...

As to the previous discussion, I personally am i fan of the current royal family. i think Diana's boys have been raised well and Kate and Wills will try and give their child/ren a similar upbringing. the current royal family work hard to support charities and to uplift and bolster the british spirit. They give the british something to celebrate and be proud of

And like history has taught us, if the royals if they start abusing their power, fall foul of public opinion, cause the general populace to live in poverty and starvation and are no longer wanted then the people will uprise and throw them out. I don't see that happening anytime soon

justginger

Ideal_Rock
hippi_pixi|1374651139|3489039 said:
i love that Kate has come out to show off the baby in a dress that highlights her natural post baby figure and bump. good on her. it sounds like she wasn't too posh to push or hide away until she had her tiny figure back. i did find it a bit creepy that she chose a dress so similar to what Diana wore when you presented baby Will...

As to the previous discussion, I personally am i fan of the current royal family. i think Diana's boys have been raised well and Kate and Wills will try and give their child/ren a similar upbringing. the current royal family work hard to support charities and to uplift and bolster the british spirit. They give the british something to celebrate and be proud of

And like history has taught us, if the royals if they start abusing their power, fall foul of public opinion, cause the general populace to live in poverty and starvation and are no longer wanted then the people will uprise and throw them out. I don't see that happening anytime soon

I agree. That dress was fairly fitted and made no apologies for having the natural figure of a new mother. I like that she wasn't trying to hide away in a muu muu, and let everyone know that it's normal to have a baby bump, post baby!

I am the opposite about the dress opinion though. I think it was nice to see a slight nod to Diana. In some ways, seeing the photos compared makes me pity Charles a bit. It is a sad thing to have been pushed into marrying someone you don't love (and of course sad for the doe-eyed girl you married as well). I imagine his emotions that day were all over the place, and don't blame him for looking very stiff and shell-shocked. It's lovely to (comparatively) see Will relaxed, sleeves rolled up, looking every bit the role of doting dad. :))

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
i agree i have enjoyed the many things they have done to include Diana. and there has been a lot. i thought kate looked beautiful in her blue dress but once i saw a comparison picture of her and diana at that same moment it just creeped me out a bit. to give your fiance your mothers engagement ring is beautiful but to have her morph into diana? it just made me think of the oedipus complex.

sorry to spoil a lovely moment... :razz:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought the pattern was coincidental. My take on it is that it is more flattering to the figure. Small dots are classic and non-distracting, yet somewhat slimming.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I honestly just assumed blue dress for the baby boys...

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
The dress was a different colour and a completely different design. The only similarity was the polka dots, and Kate is known to like those as she wears them quite a lot. I think the media's being a bit silly, trying to conjure up tenuous comparisons with Diana at every turn. Must be most uncomfortable for Charles and Camilla!

I actually feel quite sorry for the new baby, with his life all mapped out in the glare of the world's gaze. Prep school, then Eton at 13, then university, then Sandhurst, then ceremonial and administrative duties for the rest of his life. Too bad if he's got a burning desire to be a surgeon, or an artist, or if he's a hippie type who just wants to live in a commune in the desert. His destiny to be Sovereign is set in stone...last time someone tried abdicating, they were banished from the country for their trouble. I know he has all the riches and servants and palaces and jewels and global prestige imaginable, but he isn't free. And what price freedom?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1374511091|3487733 said:
Oh, THAT! So many naked scandals in one year! There are also photos somewhere on the internet of Pippa prancing around topless in front of William, when he and Kate were still dating before one of their break-ups.

Yeah, I quite like Harry too. He always seems uncomfortable with being royal. I can see him quite happily being an ordinary Army officer. He was desperate to serve abroad. He also seems to prefer girlfriends who are really bohemian and free-spirited, like Chelsy and his current partner, I forget her name. But they both couldn't care about convention and wear long floaty maxi skirts to formal occasions, and hang out at muddy music festivals, smoking and drinking in front of the cameras. Kate smokes but is careful never to be seen with a cigarette. As the future Queen she's more restricted, naturally. Seems that Harry's soulmates wouldn't fit the Royal family's mould, which is a great pity for Harry.

I just want to say that I consider every baby born today to be just as special and interesting as Kate's baby, and I wish they could all have the same kind of welcome.

Kate smokes?!!! :-o

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
They named the baby - George Alexander Louis

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think of the name?
George is a well regarded family name on both my and my husband's family's side. The second name is my nephew's name.
I guess the only one I don't care for is Louis. I am surprised they went for George. I thought James was more likely.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1374689487|3489305 said:
Smith1942|1374511091|3487733 said:
Oh, THAT! So many naked scandals in one year! There are also photos somewhere on the internet of Pippa prancing around topless in front of William, when he and Kate were still dating before one of their break-ups.

Yeah, I quite like Harry too. He always seems uncomfortable with being royal. I can see him quite happily being an ordinary Army officer. He was desperate to serve abroad. He also seems to prefer girlfriends who are really bohemian and free-spirited, like Chelsy and his current partner, I forget her name. But they both couldn't care about convention and wear long floaty maxi skirts to formal occasions, and hang out at muddy music festivals, smoking and drinking in front of the cameras. Kate smokes but is careful never to be seen with a cigarette. As the future Queen she's more restricted, naturally. Seems that Harry's soulmates wouldn't fit the Royal family's mould, which is a great pity for Harry.

I just want to say that I consider every baby born today to be just as special and interesting as Kate's baby, and I wish they could all have the same kind of welcome.

Kate smokes?!!! :-o

They both do, but are careful not to be seen by the press doing it. I'm sure Kate gave up during her pregnancy, though.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
part gypsy|1374693340|3489339 said:
What do you think of the name?
George is a well regarded family name on both my and my husband's family's side. The second name is my nephew's name.
I guess the only one I don't care for is Louis. I am surprised they went for George. I thought James was more likely.

I'm not that keen on the name George - I always think it sounds like a character from an old-fashioned comedy. However, in terms of royal tradition, I think it's a good choice. King George VII has a nice ring to it. Personally, though, I prefer the name James.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Smith1942|1374676583|3489169 said:
last time someone tried abdicating, they were banished from the country for their trouble.

Nope, he was banished for associating with Nazis and been suspected of passing sensitive information to them. Actually, Simpson may have been the best thing to have happened, as it gave a reason for the abdication without a political scandal.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
No, those allegations didn't come about until during the war, when he was serving as Governor of the Bahamas. They were not a factor as early as 1936 when he abdicated, three years before the war broke out. Indeed, when war broke out in 1939 he was temporarily brought back to Britain by Churchill and was then attached the to the British Military Mission in France, before being appointed to the Bahamas.

He never lived in England again due to the terrible friction in the family over his decision. The Queen would not forgive Edward and Wallis, and blamed them for the strain on her husband and for his early death. It would have been without precedent for an abdicated king to live in Britain along with the new king. Edward was also highly charismatic and had been very popular before the war, whereas Bertie was pale and stammering. The Queen, in particular, did not want the glamorous duo around. She never forgave them - and she really knew how to hold a grudge. She long outlived both of them (passing away in 2002) so they could never have come back.

Claims that the abdication crisis and subsequent banishment were anything to do with his apparent pro-Nazi sympathies and not Wallis were only made in hindsight and remain purely speculative.

ETA: On the other thread, you were sure that the new baby could not have been named Edward. But in England, these names have been used by Sovereigns for many, many centuries, and this moniker dates back to the ninth century with the king Edward the Elder. It's hard for the actions of one individual to lay to rest such a traditional royal name, such is the weight of history in the UK.

The former Edward VIII was invited to England for some events - he just couldn't live there - and the current Queen even invited him to the Investiture of the Prince of Wales in 1969, as well as calling her son Edward. Somewhat unlikely to be king, yes, but constitutionally significant as fourth in line to the throne at the time, in addition to being the son of the Monarch. The current Queen is a great moderniser and likes to smooth over the events of the past, as is evident by her treatment of the disgraced Edward. It's good for the monarchy to be seen to move on, and they are successful at reinvention, as the acceptance of Camilla as Charles's wife shows. I think the baby could have been called Edward if they had really wanted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results