shape
carat
color
clarity

Hello Royal baby ...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"The Duchess of Cambridge has been admitted to hospital and is in the early stages of labour, Kensington Palace has said.
She travelled by car from the palace to St Mary's in Paddington, west London, with her husband the Duke of Cambridge."

Let's hope everything comes out alright.

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23402103

justginger

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1374479443|3487571 said:
"The Duchess of Cambridge has been admitted to hospital and is in the early stages of labour, Kensington Palace has said.
She travelled by car from the palace to St Mary's in Paddington, west London, with her husband the Duke of Cambridge."

Let's hope everything comes out alright.

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23402103

:appl:

I'm excited - anticipating the gender and name. I think it will be a little girl with a full head of dark hair. Maybe Alexandra?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I hope Alexandra too. The betting seems to be heaviest on Victoria, ick.

--- Laurie

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also super excited!! I am British & heard the announcement early this morning, so I am now updating my BBC page at every opportunity for news! And obviously if its a girl and she is called Alexandra, she will be in good company ;-)

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Good luck to her. I used to work in that hospital. Didn't deliver any babies though!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1374490262|3487591 said:

--- Laurie

Hey! What's wrong with Victoria?!?!? I happen to think it's QUITE a lovely name, thankyouverymuch.

(Just kidding, Laurie! Not offended in the least. :D While I'd be HONORED to have the royal baby named after me, I kinda don't wanna share! ;-) :lol: )

I'm pulling for a girl...and if she's called Alexandra, I'm going to be really happy that had already slipped to the #2/3 spot on my list of favorite girls names...

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoping all goes smoothly! I envision the Duchess sneezing daintily and POOF baby is born.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emproctor2986|1374496504|3487612 said:
Hoping all goes smoothly! I envision the Duchess sneezing daintily and POOF baby is born.

:lol:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1374490262|3487591 said:

--- Laurie

Really? The last I saw, the betting was 8:1 for Elizabeth.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's about time, yay!

I think it's a girl for sure. So exciting!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I don't really care about the event. It is SO embarrassing on a global level that we still have kings and queens, princes and princesses in this day and age. Goodness knows what the Americans and other nations must think. Well, it must look as if we're stuck in the Dark Ages. It's a hindrance to being taken seriously as a nation on the global stage. How can we be so stuck in the past? I heard an American say once that kings and queens belong in fairytales, and I couldn't agree more. Get rid of the lot of them, I say. We have never been asked, or consulted, if we as a country still think it's appropriate that we sanction this level of un-earned, inherited privilege, in this day and age. It's completely undemocratic, and the existence of a royal family is also responsible for the deeply ingrained class system in the UK. To get rid of them would be a great leveller. But there has never been a referendum, and there never will be, firstly because it's quite possible that the country would vote them out, and secondly because holding a referendum would be too much like a democracy.

I do like the Queen, Philip, and Anne, because they work so incredibly hard, doing 400-plus engagements a year each, with the former two being in old age, as well. Lazy Kate with her 30 or so a year needs to take a lesson, but then when the Queen asked her to get a job when she and William were dating, she disobeyed the Queen, so I shouldn't think she'll listen to anyone telling her she needs to work harder. She clearly doesn't respect the Queen, either, even though she's the one who has made Kate's current life of abject luxury possible.

The royals also do some useful charity work, bringing publicity and donations to a little-known children's hospice in the UK, as one example, and Charles has done some great work for the environment. Things are rarely black and white, however. I think that the concept of a "royal" family is a complete anachronism in this day and age. Honestly, when the new baby is born, everyone will be rejoicing like a bunch of medieval peasants in a fairy story! Royalty is a fake concept made up by humans, it doesn't actually exist. This baby is only human and will poop like the rest of us, yet it will be about the most pampered, spoilt, revered creature in the world, with a life of glittering privilege and untold prestige ahead of it, all for completing the marvellous feat of being born. It's wrong for things to be like that in 2013, in my opinion. It was only a few decades ago that most people believed that God had actually appointed this lot to rule, can you believe - the divine rights of kings and all that. I wish we had moved on more from those days. So embarrassing!

About the privilege, I'm not sure that people from other countries realise just how rich these people are, thanks to the largesse of the nation. The Duchy of Cornwall is an enormous swathe of land in the UK, about 134,000 acres, and whoever is the Prince of Wales - so currently Prince Charles - "owns" it and is entitled to income from it. So all the farms, shops, and any other kind of business have to hand over some of their dough to Charlie so he can keep up his multi palaces etc. It's Charles's money from the Duchy of Cornwall that pays for Kate's ten-thousand-dollar dresses, her 78,000-dollar Cartier necklace, and all the diamond jewellery that Charles has bought her. Charles also owns many, many properties that are on Duchy land, The Queen gets a salary of about four million pounds a year from the government. There's a lot of other money sloshing about, too - there's the Duchy of Lancaster, and the Duchy of Cornwall has an investment portfolio that's worth God knows how much. Then there's all the jewels, and we haven't even started on the estates, palaces and houses yet - and the antiques, rare books etc. Everyone knows the palaces, but the royals also own a staggering amount of estates and houses, both in Scotland and England. I'm not sure anyone's counted. But William and Kate were just given some enormous manor house in Norfolk by the Queen, on the Sandringham estate which is itself 20,000 acres and includes 150 houses.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2302775/Kate-Middleton-Prince-Williams-Sandringham-home-privacy-protecting-trees-rooms-police.html

Now, in addition to this house, William and Kate are moving into a "little flat" at Kensington Palace, quaintly named Apartment 1A. This flat is actually an entire side of the palace and contains no less than FIFTY-SEVEN rooms plus a ballroom. Both the 57-room residence and Anmer Hall in the link above are being renovated and re-decorated for the couple.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2303446/Behind-doors-Duke-Duchess-Cambridges-apartment-Kensington-Palace.html

So, like many people in Britain, I don't agree with this staggering level of un-earned privilege, which is simply breathtaking in its scale. I also happen to consider every other baby born today to be just as important as Kate and William's baby. More interesting, really, since their lives are an open book, whereas the other baby has its life mapped out. Other babies born today have the opportunity to do something great, whereas the royal baby will spend its life cutting ribbons and patting homeless people on the head!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1374504595|3487668 said:
I don't really care about the event. It is SO embarrassing on a global level that we still have kings and queens, princes and princesses in this day and age. Goodness knows what the Americans and other nations must think. Well, it must look as if we're stuck in the Dark Ages. It's a hindrance to being taken seriously as a nation on the global stage. How can we be so stuck in the past? I heard an American say once that kings and queens belong in fairytales, and I couldn't agree more. Get rid of the lot of them, I say. We have never been asked, or consulted, if we as a country still think it's appropriate that we sanction this level of un-earned, inherited privilege, in this day and age. It's completely undemocratic, and the existence of a royal family is also responsible for the deeply ingrained class system in the UK. To get rid of them would be a great leveller. But there has never been a referendum, and there never will be, firstly because it's quite possible that the country would vote them out, and secondly because holding a referendum would be too much like a democracy.

I do like the Queen, Philip, and Anne, because they work so incredibly hard, doing 400-plus engagements a year each, with the former two being in old age, as well. Lazy Kate with her 30 or so a year needs to take a lesson, but then when the Queen asked her to get a job when she and William were dating, she disobeyed the Queen, so I shouldn't think she'll listen to anyone telling her she needs to work harder. She clearly doesn't respect the Queen, either, even though she's the one who has made Kate's current life of abject luxury possible.

The royals also do some useful charity work, bringing publicity and donations to a little-known children's hospice in the UK, as one example, and Charles has done some great work for the environment. Things are rarely black and white, however. I think that the concept of a "royal" family is a complete anachronism in this day and age. Honestly, when the new baby is born, everyone will be rejoicing like a bunch of medieval peasants in a fairy story! Royalty is a fake concept made up by humans, it doesn't actually exist. This baby is only human and will poop like the rest of us, yet it will be about the most pampered, spoilt, revered creature in the world, with a life of glittering privilege and untold prestige ahead of it, all for completing the marvellous feat of being born. It's wrong for things to be like that in 2013, in my opinion. It was only a few decades ago that most people believed that God had actually appointed this lot to rule, can you believe - the divine rights of kings and all that. I wish we had moved on more from those days. So embarrassing!

About the privilege, I'm not sure that people from other countries realise just how rich these people are, thanks to the largesse of the nation. The Duchy of Cornwall is an enormous swathe of land in the UK, about 134,000 acres, and whoever is the Prince of Wales - so currently Prince Charles - "owns" it and is entitled to income from it. So all the farms, shops, and any other kind of business have to hand over some of their dough to Charlie so he can keep up his multi palaces etc. It's Charles's money from the Duchy of Cornwall that pays for Kate's ten-thousand-dollar dresses, her 78,000-dollar Cartier necklace, and all the diamond jewellery that Charles has bought her. Charles also owns many, many properties that are on Duchy land, The Queen gets a salary of about four million pounds a year from the government. There's a lot of other money sloshing about, too - there's the Duchy of Lancaster, and the Duchy of Cornwall has an investment portfolio that's worth God knows how much. Then there's all the jewels, and we haven't even started on the estates, palaces and houses yet - and the antiques, rare books etc. Everyone knows the palaces, but the royals also own a staggering amount of estates and houses, both in Scotland and England. I'm not sure anyone's counted. But William and Kate were just given some enormous manor house in Norfolk by the Queen, on the Sandringham estate which is itself 20,000 acres and includes 150 houses.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2302775/Kate-Middleton-Prince-Williams-Sandringham-home-privacy-protecting-trees-rooms-police.html

Now, in addition to this house, William and Kate are moving into a "little flat" at Kensington Palace, quaintly named Apartment 1A. This flat is actually an entire side of the palace and contains no less than FIFTY-SEVEN rooms plus a ballroom. Both the 57-room residence and Anmer Hall in the link above are being renovated and re-decorated for the couple.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2303446/Behind-doors-Duke-Duchess-Cambridges-apartment-Kensington-Palace.html

So, like many people in Britain, I don't agree with this staggering level of un-earned privilege, which is simply breathtaking in its scale. I also happen to consider every other baby born today to be just as important as Kate and William's baby. More interesting, really, since their lives are an open book, whereas the other baby has its life mapped out. Other babies born today have the opportunity to do something great, whereas the royal baby will spend its life cutting ribbons and patting homeless people on the head!

I don't think the majority of the polled British population agree with you -- the last time I saw, the percentage of polled individuals who wish to dump the royal family was 11%. That was from earlier this year, I believe. The last three years have seen the most stable approval ratings for the royal family, all in the high 80%+ range.

I feel like a great amount of the world, Americans included, view royalty as a novelty and do not look down upon the Commonwealth for still having a royal family. Everyone knows that Queen Elizabeth is more or less just a show pony these days, and that the elected government carries out the actual law making of the lands. I don't see anything wrong with tradition, pomp and circumstance, and a bit of fairy tale in today's modern world. I'd rather see ruling royalty with a shiteload of money than the Rich Kids of Instagram, dousing their gold Rolexes in tens of thousands of dollars of champagne, and eating 10,000 euro lunches in St. Tropez. There will always be the 1% - I like the idea of them at least having come from a rich history (complete with crown jewels that I can ogle).

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I don't really care about the event. It is SO embarrassing on a global level that we still have kings and queens, princes and princesses in this day and age. Goodness knows what the Americans and other nations must think. Well, it must look as if we're stuck in the Dark Ages. !

As an American who adores almost everything British- that statement is incorrect. ;-) When William and Kate got married, I don't know a single friend, family member, or neighbor who either didn't watch their wedding! Everyone is excited for what is happening right now in London. Dark Ages? Quite the opposite! William, Kate and Harry are making the royals modern and new. I :love: :love: :love: all this coverage!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
But, we are never asked if we want them, not really. Those polls are from a tiny, tiny amount of people, and then the pro-royal papers present them as if they're the views of the whole country. Most people I knew in London didn't want the royals, and don't forget that it's also a generational thing. It tends to be older, more conservative people who want them. I don't see how the papers can claim an 80% support rate when there has never been a referendum. I have never been asked, that's for sure.

About the rich kids with their Instagram shots, their money is private money. Their parents or grandparents earned it. This is quite a different thing from the royals' money.

When I worked in an office in America, there were many people who were completely bemused by the existence of the royals, and in fact a couple used to actually be quite horrid to me about it, as if it were my fault! One of my American friends, on the topic of living in a monarchy, said to me, "How do you stand it?" So I'm reporting my own experiences, which definitely do not point to unquestioning support and acceptance of royalty.

Having said that, I think people would feel more comfortable with them if the sheer scale of the riches and privilege was scaled back a little. I mean, do William and Kate really need a 57-room apartment AND a huge stately home in Norfolk? William was also given a house called Tam na Ghar in Scotland by his grandmother. Meanwhile, many people in the UK are struggling to find work and pay the bills during the aftermath of the credit crisis.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Feb03Bride|1374507083|3487682 said:
I don't really care about the event. It is SO embarrassing on a global level that we still have kings and queens, princes and princesses in this day and age. Goodness knows what the Americans and other nations must think. Well, it must look as if we're stuck in the Dark Ages. !

As an American who adores almost everything British- that statement is incorrect. ;-) When William and Kate got married, I don't know a single friend, family member, or neighbor who either didn't watch their wedding! Everyone is excited for what is happening right now in London. Dark Ages? Quite the opposite! William, Kate and Harry are making the royals modern and new. I :love: :love: :love: all this coverage!

See, with Americans who are Anglophiles, I'm safe. But then there's the other lot...in my office in Boston there was one guy who was nasty to me in every single conversation we ever had because I was British. He mentioned it in every interaction, always, (I had to interact with him for work purposes). Then there was another colleague who also basically hated me for being British. She was supposed to be my mentor, but she wouldn't come anywhere near me. When I said I didn't like the taste of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, she called me a - and I quote - "British snob". She also told me one day that the Americans loved the British but she didn't agree, didn't see what the fuss was about, and she preferred the Italians.

Many people love Britain and all things royal, of course, but many don't - and some have made that very clear to me. It's my experience, both here and abroad, that support for the royals isn't universal, far from it.

ETA: I have also had a fair few Americans sneer a little at the fact that I'm a subject at home, not a citizen. It's been said in such a way that to be a citizen rather than a subject is clearly a better thing. Hard to argue with, since being a citizen connotes equality of all. It's also hard to argue with the anti-royalists since un-earned privilege is pretty hard to defend in 2013, especially in America, where hard work and earned privilege is applauded.

I'm sure that if President Obama decided to designate 135,000 acres of prime land his own and to take a cut off all the profits of any businesses on that land, Americans wouldn't stand for it. But that is, in essence, the Duchy of Cornwall.

I did watch Kate and William's wedding. The pageantry of royal events is one of the better things about royalty. I liked the wedding and I have a huge amount of respect for the Queen, because she has earned the respect of the nation by giving endlessly to it and working like a Trojan for many decades. She is a woman of great character who has not been spoilt by being royal. I stood up in my living room when the national anthem was played, and I'd happily curtsey to her, because she's really, really earned it.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1374507315|3487687 said:
But, we are never asked if we want them, not really. Those polls are from a tiny, tiny amount of people, and then the pro-royal papers present them as if they're the views of the whole country. Most people I knew in London didn't want the royals, and don't forget that it's also a generational thing. It tends to be older, more conservative people who want them. I don't see how the papers can claim an 80% support rate when there has never been a referendum. I have never been asked, that's for sure.

About the rich kids with their Instagram shots, their money is private money. Their parents or grandparents earned it. This is quite a different thing from the royals' money.

When I worked in an office in America, there were many people who were completely bemused by the existence of the royals, and in fact a couple used to actually be quite horrid to me about it, as if it were my fault! One of my American friends, on the topic of living in a monarchy, said to me, "How do you stand it?" So I'm reporting my own experiences, which definitely do not point to unquestioning support and acceptance of royalty.

Having said that, I think people would feel more comfortable with them if the sheer scale of the riches and privilege was scaled back a little. I mean, do William and Kate really need a 57-room apartment AND a huge stately home in Norfolk? William was also given a house called Tam na Ghar in Scotland by his grandmother. Meanwhile, many people in the UK are struggling to find work and pay the bills during the aftermath of the credit crisis.

I can definitely understand your opinion, and where it comes from, Smith. When I first moved to Australia from the States, you could count me in amongst the 'bemused,' but once I understood that the government still did the governing, and the royals did the showmanship and charity, I felt more at ease with the arrangement. I appreciate the traditions and history behind the family, and as Feb said, the world is pretty enamoured with the youngster royals. I think they are much more 'accessible' than the older generation, less stuffy and more...naked? :lol:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith, I'm sorry, but I absolutely disagree with everything you've said about our Royal Family & admit that I find most, if not all of it offensive. I realise it is just your opinion of which you are entitled to, but what you've said is not for me :nono:

As for the Duchy of Cornwall, I know that Prince Charles works incredibly hard to maintain & promote the produce the Duchy generates. I for one buy Duchy food products weekly & I think it is refreshing that he actually employs people rather than is just a public figure like some of the other royals. And 'Lazy Kate' ?? She is thrifty with recycling clothes, she works hard for someone who is new to the role & I am sure given time, experience & confidence, her duties will increase ten-fold. Give the girl a break & allow her the odd entitlement as the future Queen of this country, be it a necklace or a posh dress once in a while!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Alex, did you read the part where I said I watched the wedding, stood up in my living room in America when the national anthem was played and would happily curtsey to the Queen ? :lol:

As I acknowledged in the first post, which bears repeating, I did say that things are rarely black and white, the royals do some good too, and Charles has done a lot for the environment, yes, some of it through the Duchy and projects like Poundbury. I have also enjoyed the Duchy Originals line of food in my time, too. Lovely biscuits and sausages.

But it's the sheer level of un-earned riches which just disgusts me. 57-room palace plus an enormous stately home, plus another Scottish house, all for two people? Seriously??

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Justginer, the Queen has no formal powers, but she does have influence. Luckily, she uses that influence for good. I like to be informed, so I read the royal biographer Robert Hardman's officially-sanctioned book a few months ago about all the things the royals do, most of which never makes it into the papers. And it's true, they do a lot.

There was an incident where a council wanted to chuck a bunch of people in London out of their houses in order to do something different with that land. I forget the details. Anyway, someone wrote to the Queen about it, asking if there was anything she could do. While she couldn't stop it, she could question the council's representative closely, asking more and more and more questions. Eventually, the project didn't go ahead. Her disapproval of the council's treatment of these people had been signalled.

The biographer says that when the Queen disapproves of something, she keeps asking questions. So although she has no official power, there are ways and means, and more than one way to skin a cat. People are OK with the royals because they believe they have no powers, but it would be odd if they had all that prestige and clout and yet no way to turn at least some of the cogs they way they want - that would not make any sense.

ETA: Your comment about them being more naked!! :lol: The lenses on the paparazzi are incredibly powerful - they can get you from half a mile away or something crazy, can't they? I bet Kate wishes she had changed indoors. Those topless - and some bottomless - photos were so embarrassing for the monarchy. The Queen must have felt quite despairing, although after Fergie and her toe-sucking, and her cash-for-access to Prince Andrew, maybe she's battle-hardened to the shenanigans of the younger generations by now!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1374509786|3487716 said:
ETA: Your comment about them being more naked!! :lol: The lenses on the paparazzi are incredibly powerful - they can get you from half a mile away or something crazy, can't they? I bet Kate wishes she had changed indoors. Those topless - and some bottomless - photos were so embarrassing for the monarchy. The Queen must have felt quite despairing, although after Fergie and her toe-sucking, and her cash-for-access to Prince Andrew, maybe she's battle-hardened to the shenanigans of the younger generations by now!

This is actually what I was thinking of - I love Prince Harry! :devil:

harry.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Oh, THAT! So many naked scandals in one year! There are also photos somewhere on the internet of Pippa prancing around topless in front of William, when he and Kate were still dating before one of their break-ups.

Yeah, I quite like Harry too. He always seems uncomfortable with being royal. I can see him quite happily being an ordinary Army officer. He was desperate to serve abroad. He also seems to prefer girlfriends who are really bohemian and free-spirited, like Chelsy and his current partner, I forget her name. But they both couldn't care about convention and wear long floaty maxi skirts to formal occasions, and hang out at muddy music festivals, smoking and drinking in front of the cameras. Kate smokes but is careful never to be seen with a cigarette. As the future Queen she's more restricted, naturally. Seems that Harry's soulmates wouldn't fit the Royal family's mould, which is a great pity for Harry.

I just want to say that I consider every baby born today to be just as special and interesting as Kate's baby, and I wish they could all have the same kind of welcome.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the royalty. Wish we had an official royal family for the US. I've never heard anyone else say they don't like the idea of a royal family..

I hope they give her a middle name of Diana

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1374511091|3487733 said:
I just want to say that I consider every baby born today to be just as special and interesting as Kate's baby, and I wish they could all have the same kind of welcome.

I feel the same way too. I have no interest in following the story as closely as most. I am sure there's no way to avoid not knowing when the baby is born, the gender or the name as it will be big news wherever I look.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1374512326|3487750 said:
I love the royalty. Wish we had an official royal family for the US. I've never heard anyone else say they don't like the idea of a royal family..

I hope they give her a middle name of Diana

I liked Diana, she was so un-stuffy and really made an effort to introduce her sons to normal life. I've heard other people say that they wish the baby had the middle name of Diana, for a girl. However, I don't think the royals would allow that. The royal family needs positive PR, and think how embarrassing it would be for Charles and Camilla if the baby's middle name was Diana. And they are senior to Kate and William, being the next King and Queen. It's important for the royals that a positive image is maintained, so I don't think they would allow Diana to be a part of the name, seeing as the whole episode was so embarrassing and then tragic.

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
I know there are a lot of people that are completely turned off to the attention the royal family is receiving because of the baby.

But you know what? I'd RATHER hear about the royal baby than the poor children born to hollywood trash.

I watched the royal wedding, and appreciated the history and tradition in all of it.
I look forward to hearing when the Duke and Duchess wlecome their baby. I wish them a lot of happiness and hope they can make a difference in this world!!
:bigsmile:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1374512731|3487753 said:
Smith1942|1374511091|3487733 said:

I feel the same way too. I have no interest in following the story as closely as most. I am sure there's no way to avoid not knowing when the baby is born, the gender or the name as it will be big news wherever I look.

I agree. All babies are precious and special!

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
Smith1942|1374507663|3487691 said:
Feb03Bride|1374507083|3487682 said:

See, with Americans who are Anglophiles, I'm safe. But then there's the other lot...in my office in Boston there was one guy who was nasty to me in every single conversation we ever had because I was British. He mentioned it in every interaction, always, (I had to interact with him for work purposes). Then there was another colleague who also basically hated me for being British. She was supposed to be my mentor, but she wouldn't come anywhere near me. When I said I didn't like the taste of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, she called me a - and I quote - "British snob". She also told me one day that the Americans loved the British but she didn't agree, didn't see what the fuss was about, and she preferred the Italians.

Many people love Britain and all things royal, of course, but many don't - and some have made that very clear to me. It's my experience, both here and abroad, that support for the royals isn't universal, far from it.

ETA: I have also had a fair few Americans sneer a little at the fact that I'm a subject at home, not a citizen. It's been said in such a way that to be a citizen rather than a subject is clearly a better thing. Hard to argue with, since being a citizen connotes equality of all. It's also hard to argue with the anti-royalists since un-earned privilege is pretty hard to defend in 2013, especially in America, where hard work and earned privilege is applauded.

I'm sure that if President Obama decided to designate 135,000 acres of prime land his own and to take a cut off all the profits of any businesses on that land, Americans wouldn't stand for it. But that is, in essence, the Duchy of Cornwall.

I did watch Kate and William's wedding. The pageantry of royal events is one of the better things about royalty. I liked the wedding and I have a huge amount of respect for the Queen, because she has earned the respect of the nation by giving endlessly to it and working like a Trojan for many decades. She is a woman of great character who has not been spoilt by being royal. I stood up in my living room when the national anthem was played, and I'd happily curtsey to her, because she's really, really earned it.

I like the British!!! :love:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Now for the really important stuff:

If the baby is born today, she (Kare's chipmunk cheeks say girl to me, I got them with my DD and I only weighed 108 lbs at first!) will be on the Cancer and Leo cusp. Which means a very good-looking, home-loving woman.

This is going to be good! I can't wait! :appl: :appl:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, nyc2chigal!

Ilander - yes, it will be interesting to see the gender. I don't know about Kate's cheeks or really how much weight she has put on in the face, because she hasn't been seen anywhere, not hide nor hair of her, for six weeks. Not sure why. Usually she's seen out shopping or walking her dog, but she has completely disappeared. She must have been going nuts, cooped up inside for six weeks. It's odd.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Why do I suspect it's so no one will photograph her looking even the slightest bit fatter than a stick insect?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results