shape
carat
color
clarity

Hearts on fire /aca / CBI help!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There are CBI stone videos on Wink Jones YouTube channel. Most or all are older, but you can see the great cut quality. Color comparison would be difficult, though. I see light ivory from the side view whenever I look at my I color diamond, and it's under 1 ct. Tint is a thing that once you've trained yourself to see, it's easy to see. Whether or not tints bother you is something you'll have to find out. Good Old Gold's YouTube channel has loads of comparison videos in various lighting including natural daylight.
Both of those might have videos on Vimeo or whatever it's called, too.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are CBI stone videos on Wink Jones YouTube channel. Most or all are older, but you can see the great cut quality. Color comparison would be difficult, though. I see light ivory from the side view whenever I look at my I color diamond, and it's under 1 ct. Tint is a thing that once you've trained yourself to see, it's easy to see. Whether or not tints bother you is something you'll have to find out. Good Old Gold's YouTube channel has loads of comparison videos in various lighting including natural daylight.
Both of those might have videos on Vimeo or whatever it's called, too.

Here is a video of my 2.21 F-SI1 Cut to Order CBI from 2014

Here is a videos of my 2.79 F-VS1 CBI from 2017

The loose diamond by Wink
http://handshake2.jivesystems.com/videos/oz4d6psews?postroll_id=567

Here are the finished rings

My 3-stone ring that I just got in 2018

http://handshake2.jivesystems.com/videos/6h8w2yx8dc?tag=121083

Here is my 2.79 F-VS1 CBI in our bathroom under LED lights

Enjoy

Last edited:

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
58AC138E-998C-4FE7-A756-321B8D284817.jpeg 467A3475-57AD-4286-867A-4EAE0638144A.jpeg
Thanks everyone and thanks for the info on duties etc! That’s awesome!!

@RetroTreeGal my ring size is a 4 I just worked out! The stone I have on hold is a 2.74ct and I’m looking for perhaps even around 2.5ct as I agree, although I’ve tried on 3 and 4ct stones and loved them, I wonder how I’ll go living with them! I’m open to anything but also don’t want it to look ridiculous, given that I imagine a super ideal will appear larger than its ct weight anyway!

I’m going to look at a 2 and 3ct HOF @WillyDiamond to see size on my hand! Can’t wait!!

Hi @KirstLWA
Another Aussie here! My diamond is not a super ideal but I thought this might give you a size perspective. I wear a size H1/4 approximately a size 4 and my diamond is a 60/60 2.41 Ct, it’s 8.74-8.79 mm, so it will give an idea of sIze. Your new diamond will be amazing and will present much larger than mine due to the top of the line cut. I can’t wait to see it :love:
I also recently ordered a tennis bracelet from IDJ and had Fedex ship my parcel. Although a bit stressful as it was my first purchase online, the process was simple and went smoothly. As long as the vendor encloses the correct AUSTFA forms, you’ll be charged the GST 10% but not 5% duty. There will be a customs processing fee of $83 approx added too.
I hope you enjoy the process of selecting your new diamond, it’s so exciting!!!!

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for all the pictures and videos!

@Sparkles88 how do you find your stone in day to day wear. It is almost the same size as the one I have on hold which is 2.97x9mm. I'd love more photos.

@cflutist I would love something like your setting but without the cathedral sides. I can't decide between 4 or 6 prongs though. The search will begin. My issue is I like to see something and copy it as then I know what to expect but I don't know of HPD have something they can show me that has a diamond shank, classic tiffany basket with either 4 or 6 prongs... which isn't classic tiffany if it is 4 haha!! Do you love your setting? Are all the prongs both on the centre stone and shank as fine as you would like? Any advice?

I know I want claws and for them to be as fine as possible. I'm not opposed to the bar between prongs if it is 4 prong. Decisions, decisions.

Oh and then all of this needs to fit the budget which it currently isn't :wall::(2

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sorry, another question!!!

If all other measurements were within the same range, would you go with

G/SI1
or
H/VS2
or
H/SI1

Which C do you personally give preference to after cut and why?

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ECC7A32B-746D-4869-82F4-21E724ECD083.jpeg 25E8EA50-9AA2-46F7-8620-2B3C0F420EF1.jpeg AE52B2F3-F167-422D-AE39-F48E5786B11B.jpeg @KirstLWA I wear my ER everyday and rarely take it off, it was a 15th Wedding anniversary upgrade diamond from DH. So, I’ve been wearing it for over 10 years. I would just mention that when you design your new ring that maybe take into consideration a design that protects your diamond from potential damage. My design is a basic 6 prong design and although I’m pretty careful with my jewelry I still managed to damage and chip the girdle of my diamond :(2.
I think the size definitely grabs attention, especially as I have smaller fingers and most people would guess that’s it looks like a 3 ct...haha.. that’s the advantage of having smaller hands and fingers. I’m pretty happy with the size, if I were upgrade again, I would go probably go for higher clarity and drop colour. My current stone is an E Si2.
Here’s a couple more photos, I only have an old iPhone, so quality of photos is a bit dodgy.

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Your set is really beautiful @Sparkles88

Can I ask the height of the stone off your finger to the top of the stone! I want mine low but still want to see the culet which I’m hoping I can achieve by not having cathedral sides!

Sad to hear you damaged it! You would have been so upset! I know I would be!

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AB2713AC-3855-4392-8C4D-9738777250C5.jpeg
Your set is really beautiful @Sparkles88

Can I ask the height of the stone off your finger to the top of the stone! I want mine low but still want to see the culet which I’m hoping I can achieve by not having cathedral sides!

Sad to hear you damaged it! You would have been so upset! I know I would be!

Thank you, I was upset, but what can you do. I’m just extra careful now.
My diamond is set quite high, the culet of my diamond is enclosed, ooh I wonder how much brighter my stone would be if it was open? I think if your diamond is set lower it may be less prone to being bumped and knocked by accident.
I’m not sure which measurement you require, I hope the photo helps, sorry it’s a bit crummy and really bad lighting.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AB2713AC-3855-4392-8C4D-9738777250C5.jpeg

Thank you, I was upset, but what can you do. I’m just extra careful now.
My diamond is set quite high, the culet of my diamond is enclosed, ooh I wonder how much brighter my stone would be if it was open? I think if your diamond is set lower it may be less prone to being bumped and knocked by accident.
I’m not sure which measurement you require, I hope the photo helps, sorry it’s a bit crummy and really bad lighting.

Sparkles,

You would not see any difference in the light performance of your diamond if your culet was exposed rather than covered. The vast majority of the light that you see returning to your eye entered the diamond from above the girdle. When showing diamonds to clients I will often place a diamond held in tweezers above a client's hand. Then I will place it on the hand and push it down between the fingers slightly with the tweezers to demonstrate that there is no visible difference in light performance.

This, of course, assumes that the diamond is well cut and not badly windowed. If you put a clunker on your fingers, it will just be a clunker with finger showing through.

Wink

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

G/SI1
or
H/VS2
or
H/SI1

I'll take any of the combo above "if eye clean" but if you wanna play it safe go with a VS stone in > 2ct .

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

G/SI1
or
H/VS2
or
H/SI1

I'd go with the H VS2. VS2 is my bottom clarity for a top quality diamond. Why? Because if I am spending the money on a top quality stone, I want good color and clarity to go with the ideal cut. While I do like G color a lot, I just think H VS2 would be more balanced in specs. Or if I really wanted G, I'd be willing to pay a little more for VS2, also. That's just me, but others don't care about clarity. It just makes more sense to me to have all the specs be good when buying a top quality diamond.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For me, colour is relative, and always visible, clarity is invisible and as long as you shop smart, doesn't matter if it's an SI1 or an IF.

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your feedback @gm89uk @diamondseeker2006 @Dancing Fire

I wish I knew how to read the IS / ASET images, hearts/arrows images so I could see what the pictures are actually telling me. If the dots I am seeing are inclusions, will it be eyeclean (I have had laser surgery and my eyesight is seriously amazing :lol:)

Is this the best choice for my money. It's all going through my head and I feel a little confused as I just don't know what I am looking at haha!

I have never spent so much money on myself. It is so indulgent and I guess I feel selfish to want this and I guess that is why I need to know I have made the absolute right choice.

I'm sitting here jealous of all you people who click on a link and say yep, i'll take that one!

I have this on hold https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD9329 Can anyone tell me what the pictures are saying about the stone? I understand it is a super ideal but are there any red flags. Is there any reason to pass on this one (apart from the fact it's a bit outside of my budget :lol:?)

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Wink Thanks for explaining about the culet, that’s why I love Pricescope so much, always learning from those who generously share their knowledge. Slightly off topic, are there any vendors that I can view a CBI diamond in Australia, I’m in Western Australia?

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Sparkles88 you can hopefully view mine!!! Nudge nudge Wink @Wink I’d be glad to show it to you if I am able to secure my stone! It should almost fit you too!!!

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Sparkles88 you can hopefully view mine!!! Nudge nudge Wink @Wink I’d be glad to show it to you if I am able to secure my stone! It should almost fit you too!!!

Oh holy moly, yes please!!!!! That would be awesome :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your feedback @gm89uk @diamondseeker2006 @Dancing Fire

I wish I knew how to read the IS / ASET images, hearts/arrows images so I could see what the pictures are actually telling me. If the dots I am seeing are inclusions, will it be eyeclean (I have had laser surgery and my eyesight is seriously amazing :lol:)

Is this the best choice for my money. It's all going through my head and I feel a little confused as I just don't know what I am looking at haha!

I have never spent so much money on myself. It is so indulgent and I guess I feel selfish to want this and I guess that is why I need to know I have made the absolute right choice.

I'm sitting here jealous of all you people who click on a link and say yep, i'll take that one!

I have this on hold https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD9329 Can anyone tell me what the pictures are saying about the stone? I understand it is a super ideal but are there any red flags. Is there any reason to pass on this one (apart from the fact it's a bit outside of my budget :lol:?)

The great thing with the diamonds you are looking at is that you don't even need to understand ASET images. There are no red flags with ANY CBI or ACA stones. You just pick the stone that best fits your budget and specs! I think the stone you are looking at looks fabulous! But with SI1 stones, I know I personally would have to see it before making a commitment to set because I normally prefer VS. I have to like the inclusions even with a loupe! lol! But I am 100% confident that if they say it is eyeclean, it is.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also considered buying the stone you have on hold because it has my favorite CA of 34.5 and PA of 40.8. CBI diamonds in this size are quite rare.

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/education/education-caratlimit

The only reason that I bought my 2.79 F-VS1 CBI instead was because I am color sensitive (all of my e-ring diamonds are F or above) and I wanted a MIND Clean stone instead, but that comes at a price of more than 50% higher.

Call in the stone and look at it, I think your eyes will love its performance in all lighting conditions.

As far as your setting questions, as I told you before, HPD can custom design a setting to your specifications. I have also chosen a d'Vatche setting in the past but find the polish of the HPD pieces to be far superior to my Vatche rings.

Here is an example of my 2.21 F-SI1 CBI diamond in a darkened theatre of a cruise ship where dispersion is still visible.

sm fire in darkened theater IMG_0056.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also considered buying the stone you have on hold because it has my favorite CA of 34.5 and PA of 40.8. CBI diamonds in this size are quite rare.

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/education/education-caratlimit
Those are the reasons why I don't buy any RBs near magical weight i.e...2.00ct, 2.5ct, 3.00ct etc.. you could be paying more and getting less for your money. IOW, if I was shopping for a 2ct I would look for a stone in the 2.05-2.20 ct range unless the stone is from CBI, ACA or BGD. I know they don't cut to retain weight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results