shape
carat
color
clarity

Hearts on fire /aca / CBI help!

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ok, so it looks like I will be in the market for a super ideal and will purchase Ring and stone from the diamond supplier! Don’t have to stick to my retailer now!!

I have a hearts on fire supplier in my home town and whilst I don’t think I’ll go down that brand line, I was wondering if viewing them to see if I like the cut would give me an idea of how an ACA or CBI will perform over a GIAxxx

To give me confidence in purchasing those brands sight unseen!

Any help is appreciated!

My Wishlist is:

Budget around $35-$38000 usd
Round brilliant
2.5-3ct
No lower than G
Eye clean SI1 or VS2 preferably
Up to medium fluorescence
Thin-medium girdle

Thanks!!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great budget! You will find people who are very keen on the different branded stones, I’d say CBI and Whiteflash have the greatest number of fans due to their excellent customer service and good upgrade policies.

There are lots and lots of threads on these, including one or two comparing them, if you do a search. You could probably go for a lower colour in a superideal, this would be my choice!

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3947728.htm

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Great budget! You will find people who are very keen on the different branded stones, I’d say CBI and Whiteflash have the greatest number of fans due to their excellent customer service and good upgrade policies.

There are lots and lots of threads on these, including one or two comparing them, if you do a search. You could probably go for a lower colour in a superideal, this would be my choice!

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3947728.htm

Thank you @Snowdrop13 that stone is gorgeous.

I’m quite colour sensitive and just not sure I could purchase an I colour without seeing it!

I wish I could as I’d get either a bigger or cheaper stone for my money

This CBI has been available for a while. Not sure if there’s something not quite there with it or not! https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD9329

Coconutpalm

Rough_Rock
Hi OP, I was in a similar situations a while back comparing ACA, CBI, and GIA triple excellent. I am also very color sensitive that is why I ended up with a G. I highly recommend you to go see them in person, CBI has a program where they ship the diamonds to a Appraiser near you (Free of charge).

From my experience, comparing a CBI and GIA Triple the CBI faced up much whiter and I did notice a differences. It is hard to explain, but there was simply less dark spots on the CBI.

Below are some old pictures from my CBI visit hopefully it could be of some help. To me the G was a beautiful icy white and blue, the H has a very slight bit of yellow/brown tint and only noticeable if compared side by side, and the I slightly more yellow/brown tint than the H. I think H would have been my lowest color choice as the differences was so minimal in person but it was there.

From Left to Right: G, H, I
G,H,I.jpg 20171110_173822 GHI.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok, so it looks like I will be in the market for a super ideal and will purchase Ring and stone from the diamond supplier! Don’t have to stick to my retailer now!!

I have a hearts on fire supplier in my home town and whilst I don’t think I’ll go down that brand line, I was wondering if viewing them to see if I like the cut would give me an idea of how an ACA or CBI will perform over a GIAxxx

To give me confidence in purchasing those brands sight unseen!

Any help is appreciated!

My Wishlist is:

Budget around $35-$38000 usd
Round brilliant
2.5-3ct
No lower than G
Eye clean SI1 or VS2 preferably
Up to medium fluorescence
Thin-medium girdle

Thanks!!

In answer to your question about HOF. HOF has some very beautiful diamonds, so yes, seeing them will give you some idea of how the top brands of diamonds will compare against a GIA XXX. DEPENDING ON THE XXX! The problem with the GIA XXX grade is that you must know enough about diamond cutting to know if the GIA XXX is a steep deep, a shallow diamond with a big table, or some other weird combination allowed in the GIA 2 dimensional metric of these three dimensional objects that we love when they are properly cut. Those diamonds will immediately disqualify themselves as unworthy of your consideration.

Even if you are seeing them against that smaller portion of the GIA XXX that are very well cut instead of cut for weight retention you will almost always see that the HOF are better looking than the GIA XXX.

What you will not be able to see is the flavor between the top branded cuts. Given that the most popular brands here are WAY below the cost of HOF and equal to or better looking than the HOF, by all means, avail yourself of the opportunity to see the HOF against the GIA XXX. Against all but the rare GIA XXX that is cut for beauty, you will see an immediate difference in performance in favor of the HOF.

Then you must arrange to see the top branded cuts that are popular here and you will then know why people here are so often recommending them. As mentioned above, there have been several recent threads about some head to head viewings, and mention of some things that once seen are impossible to unsee. The differences appear subtle at first, but the more your visual palette is exercised, the more you will see and demand for your own treasure.

Wink

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KirstLWA

Should mention that if you are interested in the 2.74 G-SI that you contact Wink at High Performance Diamonds and have that diamond put on hold.
Btw, it has my favorite Crown Angle of 34.5 degrees and a Pavilion Angle of 40.8 degrees, the same as one of my 5 CBI diamonds.

Yes, they are that good imo, their performance is exceptional. WF ACAs are also superideal cut diamonds but I have not personally seen one. With CBI, they are in control of the entire cutting process - from selection of the starting crystal to their gorgeous finished diamond with 3D optical precision.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Snowdrop13 that stone is gorgeous.

I’m quite colour sensitive and just not sure I could purchase an I colour without seeing it!

I wish I could as I’d get either a bigger or cheaper stone for my money

This CBI has been available for a while. Not sure if there’s something not quite there with it or not! https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD9329

I have a CBI G and I am also color sensitive. I appreciate the value for H/I/J/K but I found myself wishing the K was whiter in all circumstances (it did face up white).

My CBI G is white and I have never once wished it was whiter, so I would say the G is a safe choice. YMMV

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KirstLWA

I am also color sensitive which is why 4 of my 5 CBI diamonds are all F in color. My advice would be to call in a F, G, and an H. Have the jeweler line them up in a tray in no particular order. Study them in different lighting conditions and pick out the one that is most beautiful to YOUR EYES. We all have our favorites on PS. You can't go wrong with CBI or ACA as both have 100% trade in policies. CBI also has a 80% buy back for any reason policy if that matters to you.
Good luck in your search and let us know what you decide.

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! Very much appreciate all feedback!

Thanks @Wink for the info on HOF. That answers my question.

My issue is that being in Australia I can’t call in multiple stones to view and can’t afford to buy 3-4 stones to view.

I’ve seen all the videos on here which lead me to decide on just trying to make it work with an ACA/CBI.

I’d like a setting which is like yours @cflutist but not cathedral and the prongs just a Tiffany classic style. So, I guess just a diamond shank really :lol: I still can’t decide 4 or 6 prong!

Does anyone know if either vendor has something like this? I guess setting will determine who I go with, unless I just get a plain band solitaire as a temp setting.

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sorry, another question... I have small fingers. 3.75-4 (h and a quarter).

My heart wants a 3ct but my brain says it’ll be too big, stick with 2.5-2.75.

I presume well cut stones appear bigger.

Should I stick under the 3ct so it doesn’t end up looking ridiculously big? My current stone is ahem... 0.41!

Thanks!!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! Very much appreciate all feedback!

Thanks @Wink for the info on HOF. That answers my question.

My issue is that being in Australia I can’t call in multiple stones to view and can’t afford to buy 3-4 stones to view.

I’ve seen all the videos on here which lead me to decide on just trying to make it work with an ACA/CBI.

I’d like a setting which is like yours @cflutist but not cathedral and the prongs just a Tiffany classic style. So, I guess just a diamond shank really :lol: I still can’t decide 4 or 6 prong!

Does anyone know if either vendor has something like this? I guess setting will determine who I go with, unless I just get a plain band solitaire as a temp setting.
@KirstLWA
Wink's bench will make you any custom setting to your hearts desire. They use the same casting house that Harry Winston uses. You would work with Melissa to design any ring you want. I went through several CAD modifications before HPD "Symphonie" and "Trilogie" were exactly as I wanted them.

Their finished rings have superior mirror like polish, much better than the Vatche ring that my 2.21 F-SI1 CBI was previously set in before it was reset into Trilogie.

Check out the High Performance Diamonds Facebook page for lots of photos.

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I just realised HPD are closed until Tuesday.

Does anyone have an email address for Wink?

Thanks.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I just realised HPD are closed until Tuesday.

Does anyone have an email address for Wink?

Thanks.

Hi KirstLWA,

We aren't closed till Tuesday.

Wink's email is [email protected].

You can also reach him/us through the HPD site, and the address for that is in my signature.

Best regards,
Layla

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wash your mouth with soap ..
slap4.gif
...When we are talking diamonds no such thing as TOO BIG!..;))

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wash your mouth with soap ..
slap4.gif
...When we are talking diamonds no such thing as TOO BIG!..;))

Hahaha, I know @Dancing Fire it made me sick just to type such a thing but really, my fingers are quite small. I'm coming from a diamond chip virtually. My social circle has similar size diamonds to my current stone. It is a big leap!!!!

But looks like CBI don't have 3ct anyway so maybe that is my saving grace... I won't need to 'decide' as such.

But yes, please smack me around the head if I say such crazy things in future :eek2:

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm an Aussie, no doubt I'll be shot down for saying it but I prefer the marginally smaller table and cheaper price of the Whiteflash stone, the money saved, I would then put into a hand forged setting. That's personal preference having said that, there isn't going to be a huge amount of difference between them, but people here do rave about CIB stones. Either choice will be better than the HOF stones we see here.

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks @arkieb1 always good to see a fellow Aussie!!

Any tips on importing loose stones or set jewellery? Not sure if one attracts more $$$ than the other on duty/fees etc.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @arkieb1 always good to see a fellow Aussie!!

Any tips on importing loose stones or set jewellery? Not sure if one attracts more $$$ than the other on duty/fees etc.

You need to make sure that you get the vendor to fill in and include and email you a copy of the appropriate AUSTFA forms. Then you pay 10% instead of 15% because they drop the GST. There seems to be some type of urban legend I've seen people writing on here that loose stones don't attract the taxes that is BS, everything including loose stones over a value of $1000UAUD attracts a tax you cannot get out of paying. It's up to you if you want a setting made here or in the US. High end hand made settings made by people like Victor, Steven and so on are much better made than anything you will see here, mind you most people will never notice that. A Whiteflash setting is still pretty decent by comparison to a lot of the Asian imported mass produced settings that they sell and don't tell us about here.

There are jewellers here that do make nice ring settings too, they just will not have the same quality of pavework or fine detailing in general than some of the US jewellers can produce, having said that many are good at other things.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For specific information it is always best to contact your county's customs department. For Australia, the fee is 5% import duty and then another 10% on the total.

If your jeweler provides the proper information to Australian Customs, the 5% duty is waived under the Australia United States Trade Agreement, so you are only looking at 10%. AUSFTA has been in effect since 2005.

Both of the vendors that you are considering will ensure that the Customs in Australia is properly notified of the AUSFTA status of your package.

My understanding of the regulations is that there is no import duty on loose diamonds, but that the 10% would still be due.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oops, I see that when I got interrupted while writing my post that Arkieb1 gave you a great answer and confirmed my thoughts on the loose diamond shipping.

Thank you Arkieb1.

Wink

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sorry, another question... I have small fingers. 3.75-4 (h and a quarter).

I presume well cut stones appear bigger.

Should I stick under the 3ct so it doesn’t end up looking ridiculously big? My current stone is ahem... 0.41!

Thanks!!

That really is a big jump jump! Have you tried on 3cts in person, and liked how they look on your hand? Here’s mock-up of your ring size with your current and intended carat weight. I didn’t know you’re finger length but with your ring size so small I wouldn’t do doubt it is shorter than this.
BD98742B-874A-43D6-B721-788A364F60CD.png

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think both diamonds would be gorgeous.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey OP
When I was in St. Martin a few years ago I went into a jewelry store and held a 3 carat HOF diamond, it was the most spectacular round I ever saw. You needed sunglasses to see this thing! Yes, they are super expensive but gorgeous.
Good luck.

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone and thanks for the info on duties etc! That’s awesome!!

@RetroTreeGal my ring size is a 4 I just worked out! The stone I have on hold is a 2.74ct and I’m looking for perhaps even around 2.5ct as I agree, although I’ve tried on 3 and 4ct stones and loved them, I wonder how I’ll go living with them! I’m open to anything but also don’t want it to look ridiculous, given that I imagine a super ideal will appear larger than its ct weight anyway!

I’m going to look at a 2 and 3ct HOF @WillyDiamond to see size on my hand! Can’t wait!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results