shape
carat
color
clarity

Hearts & Arrow (HOF) SI1 (Eye-Clean??)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cmniemann

Rough_Rock
I am considering purchasing a Hearts & Arrows pattern, AGS Triple Zero Ideal cut, H color, SI1, 1.01 round brilliant. It is a Hearts on Fire diamond. Although this is my first post....I have read a great deal of posts and wanted to get some opinions. The reason I am looking for a H&A pattern with triple zero ideal cut is because I am completely blown away by the super ideal cut regarding brillance, fire, & sparkle, etc. I previously owned a triple zero ideal and have decided to move to the H&A pattern/cut for maximum symmetry and performance. My question concerns....does anyone have any experience with Hearts on Fire SI1 clarity? I am looking for something that would be eye-clean under "reasonable man" standards. I have read that Hearts on Fire diamonds (as well as other superideals like ACA) often seem to look a better color and clarity based on the precision cut pattern. I am particular and I am wondering if any of you have an opinon on whether you thought the inclusions would be visible under "reasonable man" standards for a SI1 HOF diamond? I did see it at the jewelers but the lighting in those places is so hard to tell when you are getting so much fire and sparkle. Thank you
26.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

SI clarity grades have to be evaluated on a case by case basis, as they are not created equal!! But there is a good chance that a super cut in that size will be eyeclean, but you need to make sure that your definition of eyeclean matches that of your vendor if you can't see the diamond in person, or that you scrutinize it very carefully in different light and situations if your idea of eyeclean is to be able to not see anything ever even at close scrutiny. If you have very high ideals of eyeclean, then perhaps a higher clarity grade may be a better fit.

See this thread for a practical working definition of eyeclean, and what the industry calls eyeclean, this way you should be in a better position to work out your own comfort level! Also if it is difficult for you to be able to evaluate your choice in a jewellers, then see if you can get a good return policy so that you can examine it carefully in your own time, in your own way, you mention you are familiar with the ACA brand, online vendors usually have a generous return window so you can do that.

Here you go - Clarity - eyeclean, personal interpretation and taste

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/3/2007 4:03:25 AM
Author:cmniemann
I am looking for a H&A pattern with triple zero ideal cut is because I am completely blown away by the super ideal cut regarding brillance, fire, & sparkle, etc.

I previously owned a triple zero ideal and have decided to move to the H&A pattern/cut for maximum symmetry and performance. I have read that Hearts on Fire diamonds (as well as other superideals like ACA) often seem to look a better color and clarity based on the precision cut pattern.
The old AGS system up until 2 years ago allowed a number of not so well proportioned diamonds to get AGS0. Today that is unlikely.
The idea that you have is some symmetry is good, therefore more is better. It might be, but I have yet to meet the person who can really tell. The person who can look at a well proportioned diamond with no hearts - and one with great H&A''s - and say - this one is the best.

H&A''s is a mind thing - not a visual thing. But if that does it for you, then that is great.

You already have your SI1 answer. AGS are pretty strict on clarity

cmniemann

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your comments. I got the AGS cert number and checked on the AGS website to get the "figures". I pulled the numbers/specifics and ran it throught the HCA (great tool!). It scored a 1.3 so I guess the Brillance,fire, etc. must not be impacted by the SI1 inclusions. The comments did say "additional clouds are not shown". From reading in Pricescope I understand that this is not uncommon to see this in the comments section on AGS/GIA and that it most times means that it was not a significant defining factor in the clarity rating but rather mentioned to be through and isn''t a big deal to worry about? Am I right on this?

Additionally, HOF states that none of their SI diamonds have inclusions visible to the naked eye. Of course that is directlly from HOF so I guess you can''t put as much worth on it as an unbiased opinon. I can post the measurements, numbers, etc. from AGC Cert #8762103 if anyone is interested. It was certified in July of 2007 so I feel better that the more current grading methods of AGS were used. (yes, my older AGS triple zeros were from 2002/2003).

Thanks for all your insight. This is a great forum to really "learn" from. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to answer.

Diamond916

Rough_Rock
if you don''t mind me asking....how much is that stone costing you? I am looking at similar ones....thanks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
" Clouds not shown" which is mentioned in the comments section of a grading report means that they are only mentioned for the sake of completeness and are not an issue. If clouds were the grade setting inclusion in an SI grade, that might be a different situation, but in this case - should be no worries.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you couldn''t see the inclusions in person, don''t over think it! i''m sure it''s a beaut. please come back and show us some pics!
36.gif

cmniemann

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone who gave advice. We decided on this HOF H, SI1, 1.016 round brillant. We set it in 18K gold traditional cathedral setting with no side stones with a plat. head. It is a beauty!!! I get lots of compliments. I like the hearts and arrows pattern but that is not what ultimately sold me. Mostly it just has the most breathtaking fire, brillance, and sparkle in all different types of light conditions. I loved the triple zero ideals before.....now I am for sure stuck on the super ideals. I guess I am just amazed by a beautiful "cut". The SI1 is perfect since the cut is so good. Can''t see anything with the naked eye. Certificate just showed some pinpoints.

To the person that inquired how much it cost........well, it was a trade-in purchase from a previously purchased diamond from the same retailer and my sweet man was in charge of the paperwork details so I don''t know the bottom line. However, I understand from other posts that this size, color, clarity with HOF retails for about 10k.

If it wasn''t a trade in I would have seriously considered the A Cut Above diamonds. I would advise anyone who in interested in a Hearts and Arrows (and a super ideal cut) to consider either HOF or A Cut Above. You can''t go wrong with either.

Thanks again to everyone. :)

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like a beautiful stone! Lucky you!

"It scored a 1.3 so I guess the Brillance,fire, etc. must not be impacted by the SI1 inclusions."
The HCA score does not have anything to do with the inclusions. An IF or a I3 would score the same if the cut was the same. At least that is how I understand it. The inclusions must be seen by you or someone you trust in order to determine the stones eye cleanliness as well as if the fire and brilliance is impacted by the inclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results