shape
carat
color
clarity

Hearts and arrow diamond

jkim22

Rough_Rock
Hi

I asked my jeweler to get specific measurements on a round cut for a hearts and arrow diamond. The attached is what he got me. As you can see it's not a true or near but how much will it make a difference?

Does this look like an optimal diamond to buy?

Will I be able to notice he difference in the sparkle fire scat etc. of this diamond vs a true hearts and arrow?

_1191.png

_1192.png

_1193.png

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Something that looks like that would be a near H&A in my opinion.

I can't comment on stones specifically being from trade.

The learned would contribute.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HCA results:

Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread or diameter for weight Very Good

Total Visual Performance 1.0 - Excellent
within TIC range

The HCA score under 2, combined with the near-H&A cut, would seem to indicate this is likely to be a very attractive stone, assuming the inclusions are not too large or distractingly visible within the table. (IMHO, of course.)

Are you able / happy to share the GIA report number / the weight of the stone / the price you are being asked to pay, so you can check you are not going to be ripped off?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the size and shape of those arrows. The numbers are good. Remember those images are hearts and arrow images, which are good for assessing.. well.. the shape of hearts and arrows and symmetry, not for light return/leakage.

jkim22

Rough_Rock
Do I have to worry about that for this one? I asked for an Ideal scope or ASET but he had no idea what they were.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are looking for true H&A, you dont know without the IS/ASET.
If you are ok with a decent GIA xxx with some leakage at the worst, it should be alright I guess.

The price seems reasonable for 1.0 G VVS1.

It depends on the return policy as well. I may consider the stone if return is unconditional with 30 day window, and in writing from a reputable vendor.

Still, no magnified image and no IS/ASET for 8k or 10k after with setting and potential taxes?? I would not be comfortable with this.

Are you going to tell noticeable difference between a GIX xxx with ideal proportions vs a verified branded H&A super ideal? Noone can tell you that with confidence. Thats why we ask for the IS/ASET :naughty:

jkim22

Rough_Rock
flyingpig|1464271383|4036496 said:
If you are looking for true H&A, you dont know without the IS/ASET.
If you are ok with a decent GIA xxx with some leakage at the worst, it should be alright I guess.

The price seems reasonable for 1.0 G VVS1.

It depends on the return policy as well. I may consider the stone if return is unconditional with 30 day window, and in writing from a reputable vendor.

Still, no magnified image and no IS/ASET for 8k or 10k after with setting and potential taxes?? I would not be comfortable with this.

Are you going to tell noticeable difference between a GIX xxx with ideal proportions vs a verified branded H&A super ideal? Noone can tell you that with confidence. Thats why we ask for the IS/ASET :naughty:

yeah its either pass on this one and go for something online like the below link which is 1.5k more. but pretty much if you look at my GIA 3x and the branded H&A below stone together, you wont be able to tell w/ the eye unless you see the IS/ASET right?

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3664939.htm

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
My stone has similar proportions and it's quite beautiful. I did not get ASET/idealscope although I kind of wish I had (long story). Can the vendor get those for you?

jkim22

Rough_Rock
wildcat03|1464275810|4036513 said:
My stone has similar proportions and it's quite beautiful. I did not get ASET/idealscope although I kind of wish I had (long story). Can the vendor get those for you?

No the vendor doesnt have knowledge on the ASET or idealscope, i might buy my own Idealscope

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can buy both an ASETscope and an IdealScope for a reasonable sum of money - certainly a very small percentage on a 10-grand purchase - so I would do that if the jeweller is willing to hold it until you can get there with the 'scopes to inspect it.

Or, as above, if there is a solid, in-writing 14 to 30 day return period with insurance covered both ways if you do send it back, you could purchase it and inspect it in your own home and in the sort of lighting environments you experience in your day-to-day existence, just for peace of mind.

jkim22

Rough_Rock
Just ordered an Ideal scope. what am i looking for? am i looking for no leakage or if there is a little is it ok?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jkim22|1464285785|4036568 said:
Just ordered an Ideal scope. what am i looking for? am i looking for no leakage or if there is a little is it ok?

This is something YOU need to decide when buying a diamond from non signature/branded line with a reasonale expectation

1. Are you looking for super ideal H&A like WF ACA or CBI?
2.Or a great performing diamond with AGS0 level light performance such as WF ES or GOG platinum select?
3.Or a just decently performing above average GIX XXX?

My expectation was 2 or somewhere between 1 and 2.
Some expect super ideal performance and go thru many diamonds and spend months searching for the perfect one.

If you need inputs, make sure you know how to use the idealscope properly and take good photos (info available on the website. This is important) and post the photos here

jkim22

Rough_Rock
Yes looking for #2 since this one does not fall at #1.

I read on how to use the ideal scope from the cut and the symmetry. If i want a #2 i should not accept very good i'm assuming.

flyingpig|1464292429|4036590 said:
jkim22|1464285785|4036568 said:

This is something YOU need to decide when buying a diamond from non signature/branded line with a reasonale expectation

1. Are you looking for super ideal H&A like WF ACA or CBI?
2.Or a great performing diamond with AGS0 level light performance such as WF ES or GOG platinum select?
3.Or a just decently performing above average GIX XXX?

My expectation was 2 or somewhere between 1 and 2.
Some expect super ideal performance and go thru many diamonds and spend months searching for the perfect one.

If you need inputs, make sure you know how to use the idealscope properly and take good photos (info available on the website. This is important) and post the photos here

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recommend you check out GOG and WF websites and see some IS images of Expert/Premium Series and Platinum Select stones. That should give you some idea. No, I will not take "very good" from IS chart. If you are ok with "very good", then there is no reason for buying the IS and go thru all this trouble.

Even within AGS 0 ideal, light performance and light leakage vary.

Just looking the IS, I accept
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3663997.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3520058.htm

I won't take
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3500065.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3142197.htm

Note: most WF IS images are taken with black background (light leakage is less pronounced than when using white background)

Lastly..
Since you want a good quality AGS0 stone, a better comparison would be this rather than the ACA you linked above..
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3488744.htm , which I think is a reasonable consideration.

jkim22

Rough_Rock
image_98.png

Here is the ideal scope image.think it's nice. Bought the stone.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree it is a keeper :clap:
Nice IS image with no leakage even though it is taken a bit tilted

jkim22

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all your help. I learned a lot more then I thought i would about diamonds.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post up some pictures when you have it set! :)

jkim22

Rough_Rock
Yes I will. Next issue is the setting. I want to get a replica of the classic tiffany setting.

I found on this site people like Platinum Vatche U-113 which I really like in the picture.

My jeweler that I got my diamond from said he can make the look a like for 800. Do I have to worry about the quality etc from him? He is the kinda guy that its all the same but for me a designer ring means better quality.

jkim22

Rough_Rock
Just proposed this weekend! She loves the ring. Thank you for all the help here. Here are the pics

I got the vatche 6 prong cast in plat

_4826.jpeg

_4827.jpeg

_4828.jpeg

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Looks lovely. Great choice in setting too!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
beautiful ring. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results