color
clarity

Heartbreaking Whiteflash experience....

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1311904530|2979434 said:
Yssie|1311882700|2979161 said:
I have the same questions as DS - did they simply say No EGL, or did they look at the stone/report and then get back to you w/ a more detailed analysis and reason for rejection?

I too contacted WF about setting a pair of antique cushions recently. No lab reports or appraisals, just several closeup photos showing girdle abrasions, inclusions, faceting. They gave me a quote for setting without constraints.

However, my stones
A) weren't large
B) weren't terribly valuable
C) weren't of emotional consequence (like heirlooms), and weren't going into an emotionally consequential piece (like an engagement ring/reset)
D) were independently insured for shipping and setting
E) came with lots of clear photos that documented current condition
F) I've worked with them before.

I don't know how they weigh these and other factors, but if you really want to work w/ WF you can always ask for more information. If not, big ditto PPs who suggest finding a local establishment - who, as oldminer says, can sit down with you, talk about the stone and setting... Either way I would contact WF to ensure, as denverappraiser suggests, that there isn't another reason for concern.

I'm wincing as I write this, but I personally cannot recommend BGD at this time for custom setting work. There have been too many reports of problems with custom jobs recently for my comfort, and while in my case they rectified the issues, and I am very happy with the result, that's X extra weeks of hassle and headache that noone needs w/ something so sentimental.

Obviously I'm not the OP, but I met all of the above on your list aside from D. (I only insure my pricier items, although of course I would have gotten insurance from USPS if I sent the stone to them.) That said, WF still wouldn't set my stone. I'm really not sure why. :confused:

Oh well-it worked out for the best because it forced me to expand my horizons and go with Good Old Gold, so now I have another PS vendor I feel 100% comfortable using.

clearly I'm just specialer than you, so neener neener :cheeky:

seriously though... I don't have any more info, just a recent experience. Well, and the certainty that they aren't actually playing favourites for the sake of it Leon-style - we all know how good for business *that* is. Something is clearly missing here, or got lost in translation, I am wondering what that is. I was planning on having them set a pair of OECs so I hope those stones qualify for the exception criteria, whatever they are... if not I suppose I'll find out soon - and be branching out, too!

shinychic

Rough_Rock
Wow.... Thank you all so much for the insightful responses!! After reading the responses, we have contacted other vendors, and we have also (as suggested) started a conversation with a local jeweler. Also, an interesting development, we were emailed by Whiteflash today regarding a possible exception to the policy, provided we go through an additional insurance process. I will of course keep my fellow Pricescopers posted regarding the status of the reset. We are now waiting for a quote from WF and the local jeweler, and will hopefully come to a resolution soon. I can't wait to get this process started and be able to post my reset! Thank you so much for your response and support during this process!

Regards,
Shiny

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We'll look forward to seeing your new ring, Shiny! Best of luck to you!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two potential avenues - that's great news!

Do keep us updated on how your project progresses :))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
WF set my uncertified stone, but it was insured. Perhaps that is the biggest difference. However, I had some issues with them, so perhaps this worked out for the best.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
As Kenny said, understandable policy! I'm glad they've decided to take a look at yours more specifically! Good luck with whatever you decide!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Unpopular post alert :!: I can't say that your diamond is beautiful because I haven't seen it, altlhough I assume it is lovely. My jeweler has a policy about setting stones he has not sold and using them in his designer settings. He won't accept any stone he hasn't vetted and approved. He told me that this is his work being represented and he doesn't want anything less than a fine make stone in his designer settings, with his preference being AGS0 or GIA EX. I believe that some of the designers have a policy about this, as well. He has more generic settings that he is willing use. I also think it has to do with the diamond purchase not coming from his store, but this is supposition. There are plenty of places that will set your stone. I wouldn't become overly upset at WF. If your stone meets their requirements, they are likely to set it. I hope it goes well.

figment23

Rough_Rock
I wish I owned a business that, in this struggling economy, could afford to turn away good paying customers based on their own personal ego ("no bad diamonds in MY settings" or "you could be a jerk and say I broke it!").

I have a heirloom diamond that I have been trying to have set for MONTHS and so many jewelers look at me like I have three heads when I ask to have my lovely, but ungraded and currently set diamond put in their precious setting that I'm offering to pay them $4000+ for.

My stone is actually quite good, as the local jeweler we ended up having to go with was quite impressed by it, but I'm not shipping it off to the GIA out of my dying mother's engagement ring because the jeweler I would really like to give my money to decided I should have to for their own arcane reasons.

Sorry, this is a bit mean, but I am really sick of the elitism and general bad attitudes towards heirloom stones that I've found lately. If you're going to turn away good customers, that's one foolish thing, but to treat them badly at the same time and make them jump through hoops just to pay you money is quite another.

I was glad to find a jeweler who was less elitist and rude, and I will be happy to refuse my business to ALL the stores that turned us away.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
figment23|1312116942|2981028 said:
I wish I owned a business that, in this struggling economy, could afford to turn away good paying customers based on their own personal ego ("no bad diamonds in MY settings" or "you could be a jerk and say I broke it!").

I have a heirloom diamond that I have been trying to have set for MONTHS and so many jewelers look at me like I have three heads when I ask to have my lovely, but ungraded and currently set diamond put in their precious setting that I'm offering to pay them $4000+ for.

My stone is actually quite good, as the local jeweler we ended up having to go with was quite impressed by it, but I'm not shipping it off to the GIA out of my dying mother's engagement ring because the jeweler I would really like to give my money to decided I should have to for their own arcane reasons.

Sorry, this is a bit mean, but I am really sick of the elitism and general bad attitudes towards heirloom stones that I've found lately. If you're going to turn away good customers, that's one foolish thing, but to treat them badly at the same time and make them jump through hoops just to pay you money is quite another.

I was glad to find a jeweler who was less elitist and rude, and I will be happy to refuse my business to ALL the stores that turned us away.
There's no excuse for treating custmers rudely and by all means reward the ones who treat you well with your business. The concern about pre-existing damage and unreasonable claims by consumer complaints at the end is a legitimate one and, having been a jeweler, it's something they lose sleep over. It's a big deal. Different jewelers have different strategies for this and a fair number will simply refuse to set outside stones at all. Using a lab or an independent grader that both you and they agree is reliable to document the stone before the job starts is a good middle ground and I would not call it elitism. That's CYA, and it protects you as well as them.

figment23

Rough_Rock
I have current appraisals and I'd be happy to sign a document agreeing to the condition of the stone when handed over, and it's insured.

The appraisal (though it's noted that the stone is set) estimates the diamond to be a G/VS1, VG cut, which considering it was cut in roughly 1968, it could not do too much better. It's insured, and appraised, and I'd be happy to have it routed through an appraiser, but that was not good enough for at least 8 jewelers who we went to. Several staunchly refused to set anything they did not sell, even if it were graded.

It was very disappointing, as we really liked a bunch of their work. One jeweler (which is a well known name, but local to us) agreed begrudgingly to look at the stone to see if it met their standards for their work. I guess people are doing well enough that having a stone documented, insured, and willing to sign a waiver still isn't good enough.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
For some jewelers, it has absolutely nothing to do with you or your diamond. It's simply a liability issue. They might have been burned before or their business insurance might not allow it.

shinychic

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone!
Just an update on my reset process! After the post, we did eventually receive a quote from Whiteflash. However, we decided to go with a local jeweler. I now have my cads, and will source the sidestones from Brian Gavin (Ideal 0.3 rounds:). My current center stone is a 1.54 princess. The goal is to halo the center, while perserving the original 3 stone look. I am posting my current set and a pic of the new mold. Please enjoy! I am toying with the idea of a two tone rine... However that might make things a bit complicated... Any feedback is much appreciated!
Regards,
Shiny! ring2_10.jpg ring2_1.jpg

DSCN5655.JPG

shinychic

Rough_Rock
another pic...

DSCN5657.JPG

DSCN5656.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you ask for a large ring with giant prongs? I know it's a wax but it's a very um... well, it's just everything is oversized from where it should be IMO.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
My honest feedback is that I prefer your original setting because it's sleeker and simpler. But I'm not a fan of halos or large, ornate settings. I do hope it turns out to be exactly what you're looking for!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I usually don't like round side stones with princess cuts but I think it could flow better with the halo? anyway...the important thing is that you love it! i generally like 'flatter' side stones with princesses (trillions/traps/baguettes)

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the update!! The cad looks cool - best of luck!!!! Come back and show us the finished ring!!!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1311820601|2978553 said:
As a high-end manufacturing jeweler Whiteflash offers services which include setting customers’ diamonds, provided certain conditions are met. There is inherent risk in handling and setting diamonds although problems are rare. We only work with customer diamonds with the express understanding that Whiteflash is not liable for any damage, loss, theft, mysterious disappearance or any other potential danger.

What's a "mysterious disappearance"?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results