shape
carat
color
clarity

Heart ring ideas...

Totally understand, I never cared for jewels and glitter before and here we are!
It is a sweet dilemma you have! Happy to chime in on such a fun project and will eagerly follow how it goes.

Many thanks again! And I also look forward to seeing what you decide to do with your new emerald!! =)

The tricolour is gorgeous and so unique. Jewelry should reflect your personality and should stand out, IMO. I would DEFINITELY do that, provided that the blues will hold their saturation. You may need to get your setter to put them together to see.

Also, it is possible to get the baskets for the pink stones in RG and the yellow stones in YG. It’ll just be expensive probably. But it is possible. My jeweler has something like that in his store for an emerald ring (with white and yellow diamonds, and the yellows are in yellow baskets with teeny tiny yellow prongs). It doesn’t look weird, it actually makes it look more “wildflower-y”. You could even do the baskets for the blue in black rhodium…

Otherwise, I’m actually a fan of the ombré blue halo. I don’t care for the pink halo or just doing two colours. My opinion, FWIW.

Interesting! It didn't occur to me that we could do each basket in a different color gold. I just worry that further enhancing the yellows and pinks will wash out the blues even more. Or do you think the platinum could kind of serve the purpose for the blues? I wish they made solid black and blue rhodium. Unfortunately, I don't like anything plated, because the temporary nature of it drives my OCD nuts. Of course, if we want to get philosophical about it, I suppose everything is temporary. :roll: Anyway... thank you for your input!!

Interesting! It didn't occur to me that we could do each basket in a different color gold. I just worry that further enhancing the yellows and pinks will wash out the blues even more. Or do you think the platinum could kind of serve the purpose for the blues? I wish they made solid black and blue rhodium. Unfortunately, I don't like anything plated, because the temporary nature of it drives my OCD nuts. Of course, if we want to get philosophical about it, I suppose everything is temporary. :roll: Anyway... thank you for your input!!

I wonder if it’s possible to plate the inside of the platinum basket for the blues in blue rhodium? It would presumably not wear off as fast…

Otherwise, platinum is probably your best way of highlighting the blue. It would probably bring out the grey in the stone though.

Is it a possibility to do blue sapphire with the pink and yellow FCDs? Or irradiated (I know, I know!) blues?

I’m super excited to see where this goes, by the way!

Oh - out of left field suggestion - if foregoing the blues is an option, how about putting something like tsavorites or Demantoids? Going green?

Or you do the yellow and pink “wildflowers” with the FCDs and do blue melee on the band… or do a mix of blue and green on the band… okay I’m getting carried away :D

ETA - isn’t green gold also a thing? If you set the blue FCDs in green gold baskets wouldn’t that pull more blue out of the stone??

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neon pink Sapphires, I'll see if I could find my inspiration ring photo that I have had for years for you later.

DK :))

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I'm definitely going for colorful! My mother absolutely abhors this idea (with the FCDs). lol She says I'm ruining what should be a classic diamond look. Boo hiss to that, I say! My fear is that the colors will be too subdued. :lol-2:

Couldn't agree more. The classic diamond look has enough fans out there already. A pop of colour makes the soul sing.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found it - I believe it was from White Flash from some years ago:

I wonder if it’s possible to plate the inside of the platinum basket for the blues in blue rhodium? It would presumably not wear off as fast…

Otherwise, platinum is probably your best way of highlighting the blue. It would probably bring out the grey in the stone though.

Is it a possibility to do blue sapphire with the pink and yellow FCDs? Or irradiated (I know, I know!) blues?

I’m super excited to see where this goes, by the way!

Oh - out of left field suggestion - if foregoing the blues is an option, how about putting something like tsavorites or Demantoids? Going green?

Or you do the yellow and pink “wildflowers” with the FCDs and do blue melee on the band… or do a mix of blue and green on the band… okay I’m getting carried away :D

ETA - isn’t green gold also a thing? If you set the blue FCDs in green gold baskets wouldn’t that pull more blue out of the stone??

The green gold suggestion is really interesting! All great ideas, actually. You guys never cease to amaze me. The creative juices are a flowin'! I appreciate you (and everyone) taking the time to help me brain storm!!

The green gold suggestion is really interesting! All great ideas, actually. You guys never cease to amaze me. The creative juices are a flowin'! I appreciate you (and everyone) taking the time to help me brain storm!!

I have scoured PS to find pics of green gold because I know it was discussed here but I just cannot find any pics :(

But whatever references I’ve found say that green gold is more like yellow gold with a green tinge. So I am afraid it might clash with the blue.

So I think perhaps blue rhodium on the inside of the platinum is perhaps the best way… or just platinum.

I’m so excited to see this ring! This has completely captured my imagination :kiss2:

I have scoured PS to find pics of green gold because I know it was discussed here but I just cannot find any pics :(

But whatever references I’ve found say that green gold is more like yellow gold with a green tinge. So I am afraid it might clash with the blue.

So I think perhaps blue rhodium on the inside of the platinum is perhaps the best way… or just platinum.

I’m so excited to see this ring! This has completely captured my imagination :kiss2:

Aww thank you! I know LilAlex has a beautiful green gold CS ring, which I love. But, yes, it probably won't do much to enhance the Argyles. I love blue and black rhodium... just wish it weren't a plating (let's get on top of that, chemists!). I did remix the pinks and yellows so there would be more of the former/less of the latter. I think it makes a positive difference for just a bit more $. Anyway, so glad you and others seem into this design! I'll need to replenish my funds after buying the FCDs, but hopefully the ring will be my next project. This is where I'm at for now. Thank you again!!
nod.gif

HeartHaloYellow.JPG

Aww thank you! I know LilAlex has a beautiful green gold CS ring, which I love. But, yes, it probably won't do much to enhance the Argyles. I love blue and black rhodium... just wish it weren't a plating (let's get on top of that, chemists!). I did remix the pinks and yellows so there would be more of the former/less of the latter. I think it makes a positive difference for just a bit more $. Anyway, so glad you and others seem into this design! I'll need to replenish my funds after buying the FCDs, but hopefully the ring will be my next project. This is where I'm at for now. Thank you again!!
nod.gif

HeartHaloYellow.JPG

I agree, I think this colour distribution looks better. I suppose another option is a small inner halo of blue and then the bigger chunkier halo of pinks and yellows... but then I wonder if the blue runs the risk of getting lost?

Another left-field suggestion to get blue into the mix - how about paraibas instead of blue FCD?

Timor

Shiny_Rock
nod.gif

HeartHaloYellow.JPG

The redistribution does make a difference! Good call!

I agree, I think this colour distribution looks better. I suppose another option is a small inner halo of blue and then the bigger chunkier halo of pinks and yellows... but then I wonder if the blue runs the risk of getting lost?

Another left-field suggestion to get blue into the mix - how about paraibas instead of blue FCD?

Well, I never say no to paraibas. :P2 And while it'd be cool to have blue diamonds, however miniscule, the color doesn't exactly pop. Paraibas certainly don't have that problem. lol But I am using paraiba melee in another design (with spessartine!). It is a lovely idea though. :think:

About a possible blue diamond inner halo... I considered a whole bunch of other combos using more or all blues, but they are just too cost prohibitive. Notice I've used the fewest of them in my design. lol

I love that you "color outside the lines!!"

Last edited:
The redistribution does make a difference! Good call!

Oh good! Thank you for saying so!! I was using the most yellows because they're the least expensive. The blues are the most costly, which is why I used them so sparingly. lol But I figured, at this point, for a few hundred more, I should make pink the most prominent color instead of yellow. I'm definitely at my max budget now though.

Well, I never say no to paraibas. :P2 And while it'd be cool to have blue diamonds, however miniscule, the color doesn't exactly pop. Paraibas certainly don't have that problem. lol But I am using paraiba melee in another design (with spessartine!). It is a lovely idea though. :think:

About a possible blue diamond inner halo... I considered a whole bunch of other combos using more or all blues, but they are just too cost prohibitive. Notice I've used the fewest of them in my design. lol

I love that you "color outside the lines!!"

I hear you on the cost of blues. One of my dreams was a pair of FCD earrings, one pink and one blue. But my lobes are giant and the smallest size that would work would be a 1ct. I don’t like the colour of lab blue, and a 1ct natural blue FCD is…. A wee bit out of budget :D

I love unique jewelry. Your ideas are wonderful!

Crochet_Sparkles

Rough_Rock
And here's the ombre blue per @vintageinjune, using what I would assume will be fully saturated medium-dark blue sapphires, a more medium cornflower shade, and then the blue diamonds. Thoughts? :) I just think it's going to be difficult to find matching stones that are untreated. But it may pay off...

HeartHaloBlue.JPG

I love this, and I know you want bubbly, so this may not work for you, but I'd love to see this ombre with baguettes; I think the contrast in shapes would really set off the heart. But ymmv, obviously :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty, dk! Actually, I'm really loving the bezel. I wonder if that would interfere with light play?

If the diamond is well cut, then no need to worry about leakage when it is set in a bezel, as all the light would be refracted/reflected out, no?

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
Loving the blue/yellow/pink combo! While I personally love the pink ombre too (you're probably not surprised :lol-2: ) I think it might be a little too much at the size you're aiming at. The pinks would work perfectly for a smaller pave I think.

I also wouldn't mix sapphires with FCD, their sparkles will be different. Loving your idea overall, I'm definitely following :kiss2:

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t have anything helpful to say but it looks like you’re on the right track. I’m not sure you will see much of a difference between using blue diamonds and blue sapphires in reality, other than cost.

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to also place my vote for the blue ombre halo, love the ombre idea!

Just throwing some spaghetti against the wall, what about a blue ombre halo, then a yellow gold band with yellow melee, or even yellow ombre melee? That might be too much but maybe someone can mock it and come up with something along the way.

How about some surprise/under halo melee for extra color?

Loving the blue/yellow/pink combo! While I personally love the pink ombre too (you're probably not surprised :lol-2: ) I think it might be a little too much at the size you're aiming at. The pinks would work perfectly for a smaller pave I think.

I also wouldn't mix sapphires with FCD, their sparkles will be different. Loving your idea overall, I'm definitely following :kiss2:

I'm still leaning toward the tri-color, my friend! I'm glad you like it too!! I kind of love the idea of the entire ring just being diamonds (since I don't have any other diamond pieces). I do love the pink and blue ombres as well, but I'm not sure the graduation will be evident in such small stones (2mm). I could just do one color/tone, I suppose. We'll see... the vendor is pulling the FCDs now and will take a group shot. Hopefully the colors stand out enough.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Omg omg this is gonna be amazing!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol! According to my mom and a jeweler friend... no!! But I can't leave well enough alone and, as @dk168 so aptly pointed out, I crave color. You know this heart diamond would have been an FCD if I hit the Powerball. :D

I am toying with a pink red FCD heart about 1ct myself, and it is about the same price as a normal colourless LGD in shape and size, unless my lottery syndicate wins big money!

DK ;-)

I am toying with a pink red FCD heart about 1ct myself, and it is about the same price as a normal colourless LGD in shape and size, unless my lottery syndicate wins big money!

DK ;-)

It always strikes me how many elite rich and celebrities still opt for traditional engagement rings. I mean, they're classic for a reason and we all love them. But man, I'd have the biggest FCD heart I could find and blaze that thing. :kiss2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It always strikes me how many elite rich and celebrities still opt for traditional engagement rings. I mean, they're classic for a reason and we all love them. But man, I'd have the biggest FCD heart I could find and blaze that thing. :kiss2:

The pink red LGD heart I am eyeing is only about 0.5ct and it is very affordable, a real FCD in that size would cost much much more!

LGD wins!

DK :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results