shape
carat
color
clarity

Heart diamond ring setting

RuthG

Rough_Rock
Hello, I'd like to ask your opinion about a new engagement ring setting for the heart diamond in my current engagement ring.

My husband proposed to me with the ring that his father gave his mother 25+ years ago. It's from the 80's I think. The center stone is a little over a carat and there are three side diamonds on either side. I am very sentimental about keeping things original and in their original form. I even sized this ring so I could keep it the way it is but... as soon as I started wearing both rings together I noticed my skin turns white underneath my rings - like when you soak your hands in water too long. It doesn't have a very comfortable fit so I'm looking for something with a thinner band.

I'm looking for an engagement ring setting that matches (not perfectly but will "flow" with what I have now) my 1920's antique Old Mine Cut wedding band... I am going to transfer the heart center stone only. The wedding band has a very high profile as well that I have to keep in mind too!

I'd like to keep my budget under $1,500 and I am open to white or yellow gold.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

img_12423.jpg

img_12424.jpg

ring_side_9.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your antique band, but that is really going to be probelmatic with any engagement ring because next to each other, the e-ring diamond would have to be super high. I think it might work better to wear a band between them so the wedding band stones won't hit the prongs of the diamond, or the diamond itself.

I think you might need to increase your budget, but someone like David Klass might be able to do it for what you are aiming for. This is about my favorite heart diamond setting (handforged by Victor Canera which will be above budget, but something similar cast might be possible):

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/vintage-bezeled-heart-shaped-ring

RuthG

Rough_Rock
Diamondseeker2006, thank you, I searched all over to find an Old Mine Cut Diamond wedding ring, found it online in England! I love that setting and I see that David Klass is in Los Angeles, very close to where I live. Thank you for your suggestion!

Pipinkinsa, thank you for your suggestion! I see that both of you suggested the bezeled setting - I like that idea!

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium

RuthG

Rough_Rock
Thank you diamondseeker2006! I looked at that FB page yesterday and was really impressed with his work. I also looked at the DK thread here on PS and really like his work. I like that he is close to home and not in another state too!!!

LadyMCh, thank you for directing me to that website. I looked at the ring you posted a link to and I think that setting is beautiful! I like the tiny milgraining on it which made me think of asking for the same detailing that's on my wedding band! I'm looking for any style that really accentuates the diamond. It looks pretty big for being just over 1 ct in size. But I am also really rough on my jewelry which makes me think I should bezel it...

ring_front_view_0.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

RuthG

Rough_Rock
Thank you tyty333 - see, THIS is why I posted, because through all of my searching for a setting, I never once come across ANY that anyone here has recommended and they have all been beautiful. Yes, I had a jeweler actually set my diamond in a higher mounting but kept the entire rest of the ring to adjust for my wedding band and it seems to work - but I love the detail on the mounting on the ring setting you linked me to. Thank you!

RuthG

Rough_Rock
Do you think a classic plain setting without any kind of embellishments would work best? With a white gold or yellow gold cushion band so when both rings are together it doesn't appear so busy? Maybe something with a a really pretty mounting profile?

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
GOG could also probably do a similar mounting without sidestones...

RuthG

Rough_Rock
LadyMCh, in your opinion, do you think a setting without sidestones would look better than something with a different type of diamond style or pave diamonds? Do you think that would distract from the heart diamond?

RuthG

Rough_Rock
And thank goodness I don't have a deadline on this because I go back and forth about bezel and no bezel, do I get something that's classic or try to match it with the same time frame of my wedding band, etc.

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh, goodness. In my opinion?
Well...I like the Victor Canera ring diamondseeker2006 posted above.
But I also like the idea of a heart bezel with no sidestones but maybe milgrain the bezel and add engraving to the band for the "vintage" feel?

RuthG

Rough_Rock
Hmmmm - yes, I was looking at some of the bands and saw some that were engraved... So many options! Thank you LadyMCh! I'm really bad with so many options, really!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results