shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 4th August till 10th August

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 4:31:39 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Hello all!

Side question: Does anyone out there do pilates? I think I've read a few posts about people doing it but now I can't find them. There is a pilates instructor whose studio closed and she's offering hour long private session for $20. I'm so tempted to try it out, and even if I hate it so what for twenty bucks, right?
Hey Dee*Jay,

I'm a little late to the answering party, but I did Pilates for about two or so years straight before my work hours prevented me from having any time in the evening to go to class.

I don't think you'll hate it at all. Pilates is all core. It's not concerned with arm strength at all. It mostly stabilizes the muscles in your abs and lower back. Incidentally, all of this core-strengthening requires some leg-strengthening too, but that's a side effect more than a goal.

Pilates is the same group of exercises done the same way and in the same order every time (that is, if your teacher knows what they're doing). There's no room for creativity, you have to get your form correct (there are mods, of course, for some of the harder exercises). It's not easy at all; just like any other discipline, you have to work up to getting everything the way you want it.

I've never used the machine, but I don't think they're necessary, as much of the time you use your legs as counterweights anyway. Guess the machine couldn't hurt, tho, I know Oprah uses it.
20.gif

ANYWAY, bottom line, I wouldn't pay $20 a session for ANY class, but if you can get into a series of classes that are not as *gulp*...steeply...priced, I think you'd really like it. You strike me as someone who would appreciate waking up the following morning feeling like you've been punched in the stomach 80 times.
9.gif

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
No gym for me last night
7.gif
I think that tready session on Wed was a little too much and I was so sore last night. My calves and feet were cramping when I got into bed it was horrible. Tonight I have to help my mom with her ice cream social for her pre-school....so lot so temptation there I hope I can withstand it all. It''s supposed to be nice out this weekend so I''m hoping to get in a nice bike ride and maybe a outdoors jog....those are never as bad as the treadmill (I wonder why?).

Keep up the good work everyone and have a fabulous weekend!
35.gif

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Hello!

Just a quick check in for this week and the previous one.

I''ve been on the road both weeks, and it''s done a number on me! I''m looking forward to catching up on sleep, exercise, and healthy eating over the weekend.

will be back with a report when I have healthy news to share!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi All,

I hope you''re having a good week. Happy Friday!

My husband and I went to the club this morning to swim before he left for work and I had to meet my new principal at school. We only swam for 30 minutes, but that''s pretty typical for us at the moment. It was pretty fun, and it felt so good to get in the pool after a few days of not being able to.

I also met with a dietician this morning, and it was a good meeting. I was shocked when she recommended that I eat 1,600 calories per day. Now that I''ve been watching portions and weighing/measuring everything I eat (and exercising more), I''ve had trouble getting to 1,300 calories. The dietician said that my portion sizes were right where they should be (I gave her a list of what I had eaten yesterday), and that I was doing a lot of positive things. She said that I need to get more dairy, fruit, and veggies in, which I already knew. I have no idea how I''m supposed to get to 1,600 calories AND lose weight.
34.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Friday all! I somehow managed to drag myself out of bed early enough to do 65 mins on the dreadmill before picking up my client at 10:30. I was so bleary eyed that I realized about 30 minutes into it that I had forgotten to even brush my teeth.
6.gif
Oh well, at least I got it over with.

After I got done with my client and put him on the el back to the airport I went over to the HH's gym to get some lunch from the deli there and grab a class schedule. Really rejoining the gym seens the way to go if it's classes and variety I want. For instance, just picking a day at random, here is the class schedule for next Tuesday:

5:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m. CompuTrainer Cycling Workout Performance Training Studio
6:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. CompuTrainer Cycling Workout Performance Training Studio
6:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. Body Pump Studio 2
6:00 a.m. - 6:45 a.m. Indoor Cycling Cycling Studio
6:30 a.m. - 7:15 a.m. Track Workout Track
7:00 a.m. - 8:15 a.m. Iyengar Yoga Studio 4
7:00 a.m. - 7:30 a.m. Abs & Stretch Studio 2
7:00 a.m. - 7:45 a.m. Indoor Cycling Cycling Studio
8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. Power Low Impact Studio 1
9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. Yoga Basics Studio 4
9:00 a.m. - 9:45 a.m. Zumba Studio 1
10:00 a.m. - 11:15 a.m. Body Strength Studio 1
10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. Water Workout North Outdoor Pool
11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Ashtanga Yoga Studio 4
11:00 a.m. - Noon Hydrotone North Outdoor Pool
11:15 a.m. - Noon Stretch Studio 1
Noon - 1:00 p.m. Live Well and Lose Weight
12:15 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. Indoor Cycling Cycling Studio
12:15 p.m. - 1:15 p.m. Basic Training Studio 1
12:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. Forrest Yoga Studio 4
4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. Floor & Core Studio 1
5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. Body Pump Studio 2
5:15 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. Indoor Cycling Cycling Studio
5:30 p.m. - 6:15 p.m. Stretch Studio 4
5:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Cardio Dance Studio 3
5:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Basic Training Studio 1
6:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Core on the Ball Studio 2
6:15 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. Water Workout South Outdoor Pool
6:30 p.m. - 7:15 p.m. Indoor Cycling Cycling Studio
6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. Vinyasa Flow Studio 4
6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. CompuTrainer Cycling Workout Performance Training Stuio
6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. Body Strength Studio 1
6:30 p.m. - 7:45 p.m. Master's Swim First Level Pool
6:45 p.m. - 7:45 p.m. Tae Kwon Do Studio 2
7:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Operation Get Fit Boot Camp (Group 4) Studio 1
7:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Yoga Basics Studio 4
7:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Live Well and Lose Weight
7:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. Open Play Soccer West Gymnasium

All of these are included "for free" in the membership, but it will cost me $125/month to add myself back on with the HH. I guess I would have no lack of things to do though!

Tonight we're going to a restaurant that we always like a lot. And I'm going to order anything I want and enjoy the hell out of it!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi All! I am taking a break from working out today; I will workout tomorrow! It decided to pour and pour rain today; hey, we don't turn down any rain here in the high desert
2.gif

Well today I met with my friend who is a Emergency Room Medical Doc (he is a total big brother to me); I met him 12 yrs ago at the gym. He is always a blast to talk to; we talk about IL's, politics, travel to motorcycles. haha I love having friends like that. I thought it was interesting that he wants to look into more preventative medicine, which sounds cool! He likes the thought of helping people wanting to improve their well being; I guess er med gets a bit depressing. I guess before he changes gears a bit he is going to hike in Canada! Nothing else too exciting here!

I was invited to a bachelorrette party but not sure if I want to go; maybe I will meet up for drinks but no clubbing. haha Have a great evening and TGIF
41.gif

ROD - your dinner sounds yummy; the chicken and fresh veggies! Thanks for your thoughts on my plateau dear friend!

KATEBAR - you are such a love to pop in here; pop in more often! I appreciate your thoughts; thank you! How are you?

JULIANNA - yay for pilates your core must be tight!!!

KCCUTIE - hope you enjoy your bike ride, yay!

CHRGERGRL- good to see you friend! Sweet dreams and happy workouts, and stick with us!

ZOE - Wooo hooo for the swim and meeting with the RD! Good for you; keep us posted!

DEEJAY - looks like a great list; you can never say there are no classes; is the club close enough to pop over! Sounds fab!!! Enjoy the restaurant!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone.
35.gif
I am so excited the weekend is here. We had lean hamburgers cooked on the grill and I made mashed potatoes and some peas for supper. It was mighty tasty. Marty had some ice cream and I had a ww ice cream bar. Yummy.
Rats, my rings are spinning on me again. I don’t want to get them all sized again but it looks like that will have to happen soon.
Skippy, I am sure everyone notices such a sweet and kind lady walking by them. Your chicken soup sounds great. My fall classes are filling fast. Woo hoo!
Appletini, all the exercises you can do with the ball are wonderful. Too bad I have no coordination.
Rod, the supper Charlie had waiting for you last night sounds terrific.
Katebar, yay for losing 2 kilos. Glad your allergies are better.
Hi Julianna.
KC, have fun at the ice cream social. I hope you get in a nice bike ride this weekend.
ChargerGirl, yay for being home and back to your healthy routines.
Zoe, woo hoo for getting more calories. I know what you mean sometimes it’s hard to get all of your calories. Good luck with your extra calories.
DeeJay, what a long list of activities. You should always be able to find something to do. Have fun at dinner tonight.
Have a great weekend.
Marcy

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG... I truly might explode...

I had SO MUCH bread because it was just so warm and delish, plus they have this goat butter with truffle oil mixed in and chunky sea salt on top.

Then I had the carrot lemon grass soup with a dozen black mussles.

For an entre I had the filet with some sort of cheese like a creamy brie on top over portabello rissoto with port reduction and a baby green salad in a crispy parmesean potato cup.

The HH had the most marvelous ostrich wrapped in panko and flash seared.

For dessert we had "smores" which was an incredible chocolate mousse with a graham cracker crust and merrange that was browned with a tiny little blow torch. Oh, and there were pieces of chocolate covered toffee on the side just for good measure.

GROAN!

Thank god these pants have spandex in them...

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Friday Night!!

It was another 'uber' day, but a really productive one. I have a candidate interviewing tomorrow afternoon (yep, even on Saturday), another interviewing on Monday, one on Tuesday and probably another one on Thursday. My boss is just so pleased with my progress and I must admit that I'm finally confident in myself and feeling as though I made a good choice and could really be quite successful. It's funny how I agonized over the decision to take this position. For one thing, I wasn't feeling like I had much to offer and it had been so long since I had done anything like this, but I guess it's good how it all worked out.

Tonight, we went for Sushi with neighbors in our condo. They're a lovely couple. He's a psychiatrist and she works with big cats (lions and tigers, oh my) who have been rescued. We're going to go visit the big cats one day with her and get a tour. Of course we can't get near them, but it would be so terrific to see them up close. After visiting with our neighbors, we went out for a cup of coffee and ran into some friends there and just sat and talked for a long time. It was a really nice evening. Charlie has to work tomorrow, so I'm not sure what I'll do during the day. I'm not going to work out as my arm is feeling a bit better and I want to give that tendon another day to rest. I'll be back in the gym on Sunday for sure.

DeeJay, the courses sound terrific. The monthly price seems a bit high, but I would imagine the gym is pretty darn high end to command such a premium. Your membership alone woud be more than Charlie and I pay for our gym membership together. That is quite an array of classes though, so you should really find things that hold your interest and that you enjoy!

KC, I was wondering if you could have a bit of a pottasium deficiency. It's really common in woman to begin with, but cramping can be a sign of that type of deficiency. You can either try a supplement or just enjoy a banana every day, which is chock full of pottasium. It might be worth a try.

I hope you get caught on sleep Charger. I'm going to sleep tomorrow morning until I can't sleep any longer!!!!

Zoe, the misconception most people have is that fewer calories will always lead to higher weight loss. Many of us here have discovered that is not necessarily the case. Your dietician offered you some great advice and I'm betting it will work better for you. I actually lost more weight on a higher calorie diet, but made the right calorie choices and reduced my carb intake and increased my protein and fiber intake. I'm sure it will work for you too!

Skippy, I'm glad you had an enjoyable time with your Dr. friend. Preventative medicine is a big thing here in Florida, particularly for our more senior population. Hope you have a great workout tomorrow! Yay for rain.

Yummmmm, now I want a grilled burger Marcy!! I'll be having dinner with Charlie tomorrow night when he get's off at 8 and we're going to our little diner. I may have a Bison Burger, which is so good and so much lower in fat and cholesterol than beef. Plus instead of french fries, they have the most incredible zuchini fries. I don't know why more places don't serve them. They offer the French Fry experience, but are so much healthier.

I guess that does it for me the day. I hope everyone's looking forward to a great weekend.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Just a fly-by with a question....

As I''ve mentioned, we''re looking at houses to buy. Today I looked at a really small house that would have really small bills and two more along the lines of what I live in now. I''m wondering though, do you think you''re more sedentary in a small house?? Like, not as much to clean, not as far to walk from one room to another, possibly no room for home equipment, etc?? Or does the extra time of not doing all those things make you do MORE because you have more time??

Hope those questions make sense to you guys because DH thinks I''m nuts!! (he''s probably right....)
28.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeeJay, mmm warm bread. Double mmm for smores. LOL at thank god for spandex.
Rod, I am delighted to hear you are feeling good about your job and think you made the right choice picking this position. Glad to hear your arm is feeling better. I am sure your bison burger will be terrific tomorrow evening. Zucchini fries sound terrific.
Somethingshiny, I hate to give you a vague answer but I would say it’s up to the person how sedentary they become if they move to a smaller house. I think moving to a smaller place would be difficult for me but as you say less house work and smaller bills is appealing as well. Happy house hunting!
Well, think of me in the morning as I’ll be out walking in the race for the cure. I am so excited!
36.gif

Marcy

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good morning!

Rod, I''m a french fry kind of gal but I''d definitely try those zuchini fires you had. They sound great.

Dee Jay -- that''s great that you have so many classes to choose from. They sound like fun!

Rod, thanks for the advice. I''m hoping upping my calories and going to the gym regularly will do the trick. I ahve a ways to go but I''m working on it. I got to 1500 calories last night, but I had gone to the gym earlier, so I figured I ended the day at 1300, roughly.

I worked out with my new trainer this morning...at 7AM. WHY did I make my appt. so early on a Saturday? Oh well -- it felt good to be out and doing something, and now my workout is already done for the day. My husband wants me to go with him to the gym later today, so I may go back and do the treadmill. We''ll see. I have a bridal shower to go to today, and tomorrow we''re going to a friend''s house for a BBQ. It will be hard to eat healthy but I''ll do my best. It''s funny, going out to eat (whether to a friend''s or a restaurant) is something we LOVE to do, but now that we''re counting and measuring everything, it''s not as much fun as it used to be. It will be fun to see our friends again though.

Have a good day!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Had way too much fun at a birthday party last night, but I will at least try to go for a walk today. DH and I are having a romantic "getaway" at a hotel downtown tonight (the one we stayed on our wedding night). And for dinner we get to have a tour of the kitchen with the chef and then a 5 course meal, I''m really excited. With all the trips coming up this will be our last chance for some quality time until next month so we need it.

Marcy,
I''m not super coordinated either, but I promise it does improve over time. The bosu really helps with core stabilization. To start off you could just step up, step down on the ball until you get used to it, but it does get easier eventually.

SS,
Just make sure your small house is well insulated our might not have small bills.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!
35.gif
Well I have 2 exciting things to tell you today. I lost another pound finally so I’ve lost 161 pounds now
36.gif
and this morning I walked my mile in the race for the cure.
36.gif
I probably walked over 2 miles as I walked a few blocks to get there, walked around the garage where all the booths were set up and walked back to my friends house and she brought me home. I also met one of my fellow team members from Sparkpeople. She is really nice. I will post a picture of us later by the starting balloons when I find where Marty put our camera. My feet are achy and my knees are slightly more sore than normal. I did take a couple of Advil but I think I’ll be fine.
Zoe, woo hoo for getting your workout done early today. I don’t think I’ll do anymore activities today. I took 2 showers now today and one last night. I feel like an athlete. Ha Ha. When I go to BBQ I always take a bag of baked lays with me – that way when I get snacky (and I do) I’ll eat them instead of more fattening foods. Have fun at the shower and BBQ.
Appletini, thanks for the advice on the bosu ball – I think mine would have to be called the bozo ball as I would definitely put on a comedy routine with one. I never thought I’d walk a mile in the race for the cure so maybe someday I’ll give one of them a try too. Have fun at your romantic getaway tonight. That’s cool!
Well, have a great Saturday my HLT friends.
Marcy

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi friends, hope everyone is having a gorgeous Saturday! Hubby and I might go to lunch; I am thinking Vietnamese Food
18.gif
I have a project to work on; it is due Aug 28 so I have that. I plan to go walking with my cousin this evening hopefully it doesn't pour like last night. It is nice to have the rain though!!!
35.gif

Rod, so is there a need for these types of doctors? I am such a little sis to this friend of mine; in fact he reminds me a lot of you, very smart, athletic, etc so I like to help him out. hehe He did live in the Keys breifly so I am sure he loved Florida.
Thanks! Don't work too hard but I am glad you are loving the challeges and of course everyone would love ya!!!

DeeJay, I love lemon grass soup! I stopped reading when I saw brie, you are making me hungry
11.gif

SS, I think smaller homes are easier to clean but I don't think you would be sedetary. I think if a home gym is important then you should have one; happy house hunting and look for one with lots of storage. hehe

Hi Zoe! Hey Lorelei!!!

Marcy, woooo hoooooo for your walk!!! go Macry go!

Apple, your getaway sounds romantic!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Skip and everyone!

I am hoping to get a workout in tomorrow, just giving it one more day for my toof hole to heal. Weather is pants by the way...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2008 1:11:53 PM
Author: Lorelei
Hi Skip and everyone!

I am hoping to get a workout in tomorrow, just giving it one more day for my toof hole to heal. Weather is pants by the way...
Hi Love!!! I hope you get a workout in too; I would say come here, but we have been pantaroni's here too!
face20.gif
Oh, yeah be careful. Maybe do an easier workout; if you go to crazy, you might bleed again. Just ease into it and play it by ear.
2.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. Since I had sunscreen on from my walk I pruned all my flowers. They are getting very leggy. Marty and I went to lunch. We had Mexican food. I am going to go buy groceries in awhile because we are very low on fruit and veggies. Aak. I miss them.
Marty washed my car for me this morning while I was at the race for the cure. What a sweetie. He is playing golf right now.

Skippy, good luck with your project. We’ve had some nice and much needed rains here this week. I hope the weather holds for a nice walk today for you and your cousin. Thanks for cheering me on.

Lorelei, rats for having pants weather. I hope you feel up to working out tomorrow but don’t overdo it.

Here is my photo from this morning. I’m on the left, my friend from sparkpeople is next, then an old friend of mine in town is on the right. I look much taller than them because I am on the sidewalk and they are in the street.

Laters,
Marcy

ETA: Ewe, I saved this as a gif and published it for the web - it's fuzzy. Oh well.
1.gif

race1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Marcy! You look so SKINNY!!! I don''t think you need to lose any more weight, you look incredible!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2008 3:34:01 PM
Author: Lorelei
Wow Marcy! You look so SKINNY!!! I don''t think you need to lose any more weight, you look incredible!
Wow, Marcy, I agree with Lorelei!!! You are gorgeous
30.gif
, and such an INSPIRATION!!!! I love the picture, fantastic!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei and Skippy, thank you lovely ladies for such a great compliment! I really appreciate it. The SP lady who just met me today told me she would never believe I used to be so heavy. She has looked at photos of the old me on my sparkpage.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Saturday all! I woke up this morning with a pretty grim headache but after four Excedrine for Migraines and two sodas I was finally able to go to the gym this afternoon. I didn't work out nearly as vigorously and I normally do, but I eeked out my 65 mins on the elliptical.

Tonight we're going to a housewarming party for one of my clients. I'm torn about eating dinner first because I know I'm going to eat things there too, so the magic question is would having dinner beforehand make me east less of the bad stuff? Knowing me probably not!
3.gif

Marcy, I am always so impressed when I see your pics!

Rod, I don't what to think about the $$$ for the club. I guess it really is less per month than if I did a personal trainer with any regularity and I will get plenty of variety. When the club was built it was the largest one in the world (I don't know if that's still the case though) at over 450,000 square feet; here is their blurb:

East Bank Club's facilities include a ¼-mile indoor running track; eight indoor tennis courts; three racquetball courts; a squash court; a platform tennis court; a 20,000 square-foot cardiovascular room; a free weight room; five aerobics studios; a Pilates and GYROTONIC® studio; physical therapy; a 60-bike spinning studio; four swimming pools (two indoor, two outdoor); two regulation-size basketball courts; an indoor golf driving range; a pro shop; a dry cleaner; a full-service salon and spa; a children's activity center; a car wash; a casual grill; a gourmet deli; an elegant restaurant; catering facilities; a juice bar; a 60,000 square-foot sun deck; and much more.

Thank you BTW to everyone who answered my pilates question the other day!

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/9/2008 6:31:54 PM
Happy Saturday all! I woke up this morning with a pretty grim headache but after four Excedrine for Migraines and two sodas I was finally able to go to the gym this afternoon. I didn't work out nearly as vigorously and I normally do, but I eeked out my 65 mins on the elliptical.
Hi DeeJay -- coming out of lurkdom just to let you know that Excedrin for Migraines has the exact same concentration of active ingredients as Extra Strength Excedrin. I suffer from migraines and used to take a lot of Excedrin (now I take prescription drugs) ... when I found this out it kind of annoyed me. They used to cost the same, not sure now ... but if they're the same active ingredients, why should I have to look for one versus the other?

Acetaminophen 250 mg Pain reliever
Aspirin 250 mg Pain reliever
Caffeine 65 mg Pain reliever aid

Glad the headache got better! The caffeine probably helped the most!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
My cousin and I walked; now I am just watching a movie. Hope everyone has a great evening and sweet dreams all! This low carb thing is hard!!!
3.gif
Hubby and I didn't go to lunch today but will tomorrow!
35.gif
eta: i think caffine really helps migraines, no fun D
14.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone
35.gif

Just wanted to pop in to say hello.

Oh miss Marcy!!! You look fantastic. You look so skinny. I also think you do not need to lose any more weight. You will blow away if you do. You look wonderful and beautiful just the way you are now.

Skippy are you doing a low carb diet now??? It is so hard to follow.

Hi Rod
35.gif
I see you are still working so hard

Have a great evening everyone.

Love, Linda

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/9/2008 8:47:27 PM
Author: turtledazzle

Hi DeeJay -- coming out of lurkdom just to let you know that Excedrin for Migraines has the exact same concentration of active ingredients as Extra Strength Excedrin. I suffer from migraines and used to take a lot of Excedrin (now I take prescription drugs) ... when I found this out it kind of annoyed me. They used to cost the same, not sure now ... but if they're the same active ingredients, why should I have to look for one versus the other?

Skippy and Turtle, thanks for popping in! I've tried all of the prescription drugs for my migraines and it's plain and simple *caffine* that helps me the most. I know that sounds odd because some people have their migraines brought on by caffine, but I swear this is what helps me. How interesting though about Excedrine for Migraines and Extra Strength Excedrine having the exact same ingredients. For some reason I thought the one for migraines had caffine and the extra strength didn't but I don't know where I got that idea... Regardless, I'm damn glad for anything that helps! The only down side is that I always get them for at least a few days and I have to take the drugs every couple of hours to keep on top of the pain so I spend a sleepless night or two with a caffine high. If you see a bunch of strange posts from me in the middle of the night you'll know what's going on LOL!

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/10/2008 12:05:29 AM

Skippy and Turtle, thanks for popping in! I've tried all of the prescription drugs for my migraines and it's plain and simple *caffine* that helps me the most. I know that sounds odd because some people have their migraines brought on by caffine, but I swear this is what helps me. How interesting though about Excedrine for Migraines and Extra Strength Excedrine having the exact same ingredients. For some reason I thought the one for migraines had caffine and the extra strength didn't but I don't know where I got that idea... Regardless, I'm damn glad for anything that helps! The only down side is that I always get them for at least a few days and I have to take the drugs every couple of hours to keep on top of the pain so I spend a sleepless night or two with a caffine high. If you see a bunch of strange posts from me in the middle of the night you'll know what's going on LOL!
Caffeine helps me a lot as well. Sometimes I combat my migraine-associated nausea with Dramamine, which also balances out the 'caffeine high' so I can get some sleep (and, often, if it is possible to get an hour or two or sleep at the onset of a headache, I find mine can go away). I had taking a lot of meds, but when I'm migraine attack mode I don't really have a choice.

ETA: I've tried a few prescription drugs and Maxalt by far has been my salvation. A good friend of mine lurves it as well. Just throwing that out there in case it isn't one you've tried, though I realize everyone responds differently.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
DeeJay, Do you drink red wine??? Red wine will cause migraines for DH and I every time. It is on the list of not what to have.

Linda

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2008 12:05:29 AM

Dee - I take a prescription strength migraine medicine; maybe heavier duty pain relief and Definitely has Caffeine. My friend who is an MD says caffeine helps with lessen the migraine because helps the blood vessels to constrict since they are dilated.

I don't get them as often but if I do get one (I can tell when one is coming on as people start to having missing limbs) caused by my vision changing so if I take the medicine right away I won't have one. If I don't take it right away and see the static vision (like the tv on the wrong channel) then I am doomed. Let me go see what I take and then I will tell ya! I feel for you having them for days; I use to get them really bad but as I get older they aren't as bad but then I don't get as stressed as I use to when I was younger. I guess that is one good thing for me at least as I get older!
40.gif

eta: the medicine I take makes you sleepy too so you don't get the side effect of caffeine, high/gitters.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I spent most of my evening working on my fall internet class. I finally got all 5 tests and practice tests copied and pasted in there. I realized I forgot to download my constellation book from the old platform and it’s gone so I spent an hour or so getting that copied and converted to html. Tomorrow I will go try all my links on our other PC to make sure everything is okay.

DeeJay, sorry to hear you woke up with a killer headache. I am glad you felt better this afternoon. Thank you so much for the nice compliment. That club sounds pretty plush.
Skippy, glad you had a nice walk and enjoyed a movie tonight. Glad you don’t get migraines that often anymore. Yay for being less stressed these days.
Linda, thank you so much for the kind words. It means a great deal to me.
Have sweet dreams.
35.gif

I will check in tomorrow.
Marcy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results