shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 15th Sept till 21st Sept

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Panda - I totally feel you on not enough sleep. I hope your job chills out so you can rest.

Churros. Man those take me back to Disneyland as a kid, LOL!

Taking a break might be good for me...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Tuesday kids!

So my plan to just do a hard arm worked yesterday was great... except now my rotator cuff hurts like he!! today. I wish I could learn to do things in moderation!

Today I did an hour on the dreamill, and I consciously tried to keep my heart rate below 140 because the way the dietician explained the whole heart rate thing to me is that at a certain rate you burn fate, but at a higher rate your body burns carbs, so I''m trying to do both types of workouts each week now.

And now for the day''s update on the great yogurt experiment. I''m having plain Oikos with strawberries, but I had to put a packet of splenda in there to make it edible for me. I could probably get used to this, but frankly I think I liked the first brand that I tried better, and it already had the fruit in it. And here is some info off the three containers I have left:

Oikos plain, 0% fat, 5.3 oz, 90 cals, 15g protein
Chiobani blueberry, 0% fat, 6 oz, 140 cals, 14g protein
Voskos honey, 0% fat, 5.3 oz, 120 cals, 13g protein

Panda, I know what you mean about only so many hours in the day. When the market picks up again even more in the spring I don''t know that I''m going to be able to keep up this daily workout routine...

Michelle, enjoy your weekend!

Welcome taovandel!

Gecko, your shoes sound adorable! I picked up a pair of rubber rain boots today (... in the children''s department...
20.gif
) that are black with big colored polka dots on them to wear when I take the monsters out in the winter. I don''t know how warm they will be, but I am hopeful they are at least waterproof!

Going, good for you for going to the gym anyway!

Marcy, I am so impressed you can paint your nails and then go to bed. I would end up all sweared and smuged!

Rod, now you have me craving chocolate cake!
39.gif

Shiny, welcome back to being yourself!

Skippy, every time I try the fage link it asks me if I want to install "flash player," or something crazy like that. Am I doing something wrong? I''m afraid to install things on our computer with the HH''s supervision, LOL!

Dani, I will be curious to see if/what you hear back from fage!!

Kimi, when the HH is not wearing sweaters--from Costco--he''s wearing polo shirts--from Costco!

Apple, I''m sorry you''re having to "rough it" a bit, but I''m glad you guys made it through for the most part OK.

Sharon, one more post about how nice your weather is and I might have to not be your friend any more...
2.gif

Miscka, congrats on the 20 lbs!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to put this in my last post... Does anyone know if you can eat *too much* protein? I mean, the sort of ramifications of eating too much fiber, that sort of thing? It seems like all I do lately is look for thing to eat with protein in them an I want to make sure I''m not going to regret it later!

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Dee - I did get a response from Fage this morning - first thing in the morning! They wanted some info. on the packages I had, like the size, type and date of expiration. I ate it a while ago and obviously threw the containers away, but thanks to my food log was able to tell them at least when I ate it! They want to send me some free yogurts, so we''ll see what happens! I told them in my second e-mail that I hoped it could all get worked out b/c Fage really is one of my favorite snacks! Thanks for the info. on the other yogurts - we def. don''t have that many options at my store, I might have to go yogurt free for a while.

Oh, and for eating too much protein, you could conceivably get kidney stones. You have to make sure you drink enough water to balance out the increased protein. Do you know about how many grams you are eating per day? I find even if I specifically seek out protein, I hardly make it to 90 grams, and that is ALOT of protein. I think the risk starts at over 90 grams per day (obviously dependent on your weight, gender, etc).

Skippy - 22 grams of fiber would be seriously scary in one little yogurt, hahaha.

I personally am trying to convince myself to get my butt to the gym tonight. I am feeling pretty hungry and wish I had brought some almonds or something to snack on! errr, might have to go home for dinner first!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Dani, I''m so impressed fage got back to you!

And thank you for the info on too much protein may = kidney stones...
6.gif
I don''t think I''m taking in anywhere near 90 grams/day but I will definitely watch my intake!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the pain relief suggestions for the cramps. I take TOO much pain relievers during that time as it is. I''ve had to take Vicodin just for a chance to sleep at night! I know the bc pill really helps, and hard-core pain relievers help, but since we''re trying to have a baby I want to stay away from those things. I was hoping there was some natural remedies. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Greetings!

SS, I wish I had some great recommendations for you, the only thing I can think is to drink something warm, like tea, that helps me sometimes.

Dee, J and B could have a polo shirt party! He even wore his polo shirt to the gym last week. He''s so funny. Eating too much protein long term can do kidney damage. One of my kids is on a GFCF diet and he eats TONS of protein, J made a comment that it could be really harmful to his health long term.

Skip, I haven''t had a churro in who knows how long and now I''m craving.

GC29, awesome that you went to the gym anyways. That can be tough.

Gecko, would taking a step away from it all for a week or two help?

Welcome, tao. I hope SK gives you a good kick start.

Panda, sorry the week sucks already.

I worked today today, then went to the gym. Did 30 minutes of high level cardio on the elliptical then lifted weights, focusing on arms. It felt great. We''re having veal and veggies for dinner. Have a great night.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
crap!!!! LOST A giant post! waaah!
38.gif
all my fault too!

HUGS TO ALL! I am so snacky tonight but still in my calorie range. Have a great night and I lost a HUGE novel. Oh well
14.gif

SS, I heard tea is good like KIMI said!

Kimi, hope you are feeling better!

Geckodani, Costco is kind of like Disneyland
face20.gif

Rod, you have me wanting cake

DeeJay, protein is hard on our liver to break down if we have too much. You do need flash for the fage sight, let me know what you want to know and i can look it up.

Marcy, how cold was it there? burrr

Panda, hugs and hope you sleep better

sorry if I missed anyone, sending you a hug.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 7:35:40 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Thanks for the pain relief suggestions for the cramps. I take TOO much pain relievers during that time as it is. I''ve had to take Vicodin just for a chance to sleep at night! I know the bc pill really helps, and hard-core pain relievers help, but since we''re trying to have a baby I want to stay away from those things. I was hoping there was some natural remedies. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
I just had a thought. Have you tried the chiropractor? My cramps have been a lot better since I started getting adjusted.

Heating pads are your friends.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I join in? I want to go back to my former, healthier self.

I just volunteered to supervise our school''s weight room on every Tuesday and Friday for an hour after school. I figure this would make it really easy for me to get in a bit of lifting! It worked today--I stayed and did chest and back after the boys cleared out.

I''ve been doing a lot of cardio with the new-ish puppy--rollerblading, running, and lots of long walks. I''m hoping to keep it all up!

Love this thread.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Haven!
35.gif

Sounds like you''re off to a great start with the puppy cardio!
2.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Dinner tonight went from veal and veggies to beer, sourdough burger and fries when a car hit a pole and our lights were out for several hours. Damn it! I''d just jumped outta the shower and put on loungewear, no way to do my hair, etc. so casual was the olny thing that would suffuce.

Welcome, Haven!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone.
35.gif
We went out and wandered around the mall tonight. I found a pair of red Ray Bans I liked so I might just have to go pick them up. We went off and did our own looking and shopping then met for some frozen yogurt before heading home.
GoingCrazy, I hope you had some time with your trainer today.
wobble2.gif

Geckodani, your shoes sound wonderful. I would say focusing on sensible eating not necessarily dieting would work pretty well. Diets can be broken and you can’t stay on them forever, but striving to life a healthy life style can be something you do for the rest of your life. Heating pads are certainly my friends quickly followed by fleece blankets.
1237412xwco8j4coz.gif
Taovandel
. Good luck with the Special K diet.
SanDiegoLady, that is great you have a few days off. Sorry your job is so mentally grueling.
Panda, sorry to hear your week is not going well. We are getting closer to the weekend. I hope you sleep well tonight. I didn’t sleep well last night. Marty had to go in about 1 am so I woke up quite a bit.
DeeJay, I am sorry to hear your rotator cuff hurts. Rest up for a day or two till it feels better. That is on benefit for living somewhere that doesn’t have humidity. 2 coats of nail polish are completely dry in 10 to 15 minutes.
Danielle, I hope you made it to the gym tonight.
Somethingshiny, the only thing I used to do was a heating pad. Since I am always cold I loved doing that.
Kimi, I am glad to hear you had a nice workout at the gym. How awful about the car accident.
chunkstyle.gif
, rats for losing a big post. I know it was clever, witty and helpful. We made it to the 80’s today but overnight it is in the 40’s. My trench coat showed up today. I am going to love it.
1237412xwco8j4coz.gif
Haven. That’s great to volunteer in the weight room so you can have an excuse to be there and workout.
Rod, I hope you didn’t have another long day.
Take care.
Marcy

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey......it's well after 11 PM and I'm just now gettng to read today's posts. I can't say hello to everyone indivdually though. So Hii to all and a special hello to our two newest members.

It was an "UBER" long day, not an 'uber' long one. I had so much to do, I got to work well before 8 AM and didn't leave till after 6, but it was a very productive day and I got so much done! I got to the gym around 6:30 and worked out for a full 3 hours. I had a great workout and so enjoyed my respite from work. I find the gym to be the only place I can put work completely out of my mind, so not only am I doing something really good for my body and overall health, my mental attitude takes a giant leap forward as well. No gym tomorrow as I need to rest after such a tough workout tonight, so Charlie and I will have an evening together!

I do need to comment to DeeJay that you absolutely can overdose on protein and it can cause kidney stones and other bad things. There was a guy at the gym who was doing a couple hundred grams of protein every day and he got so stopped up that they had to operate on him to let things pass (I hope you get what I'm referring too). But you'd have to protein overload to accomplish that swell feat.........If you're not consuming over 90 grams a day, I don't think I'd be too worried, but since you are increasing your protein intake, you might grow some bigger muscles!!

I guess that will have to do for the day. I hope you all had a great day. Sorry for making everyone want chocolate cake!! LOL

Sleep well everyone.......

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Tao, Danielle and Haven!
35.gif
Welcome and welcome back to the HLT!

Hi all, I am plodding on being a builders mate ( helping Hubby) on the building project and also polishing up my new wheels, I ordered an electric car polisher, so although I would burn a few more cals waxing it by hand, it is a big car so the polisher will help * hopefully* I am hoping to get on the treddy some time this week, but been so tired after all the work!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Marcy I am so impressed with all the cute emoties!!!!

All this Churro talk makes me feel like I am missing out...never had one! Don''t even really know what it is.

Danielle-that is very interesting about the protein! Thanks for the info.

Now I miss Fage, too!!! I looooove to eat it with a teeny bit of honey. Yum!

Welcome, Haven!!

Rod, your Christmas sounds amazing! I love that idea.

Skippy, you are such a ray of sunshine!

Thanks everyone who commented on my weight loss
5.gif

Today I had TWO breakfasts...rice cereal and oatmeal. Oh well! Life goes on I guess.

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Well the trainer kicked my booty again yesterday- but I am not nearly as sore as last week! I love working out with him pushing me, I feel like I get so much more out of it. I wish I could afford to have him more than once a week, but I just can''t. I go to the gym and do all the exercises he showed me by myself on the other days, but I just feel like I get more out of it with him there! I can''t wait to start seeing some of this hard work paying off- I am impatient!!

Panda, I hope you get some rest and work slows down soon!
Dee Jay- I hope your arm feels better, great job on the workout!
Shiny- good luck with the cramps! I don''t have much advice though
1.gif

Kim- Sorry about dinner plans changing, but now you can just save veal and veggies for another time!
Skippy- Boo for losing big posts, I hate when that happens! Go work off frustrations!
2.gif

Haven- Welcome!
35.gif

Rod- I''m impressed with your 3 hour workout!!

Have a healthy day, everyone!!
36.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Hello ya''ll!
35.gif

Sorry for your awful weather DeeJAy; but it is unreal here. I will go my run/walk/bike thingie shortly and we walked last night. Enjoying the night out while we still can. We can have snow this time of year!

Kudo''s to those losing and maintaining. Don''t work too hard folks!

And Marcy--your emoties are adorable!

cheers--Sharon

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG, have you guys tried the Lean Cuisine Pizza (chicken, garlic, caramelized onions)??? I had to run to the grocery store and realized I hadn't eaten lunch so I wanted something from the deli and talked myself down! LOL I saw the pizza's and went for the Lean Cuisine, I thought surely I will be disappointed, NOPE, YUM YUM, YUM. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
18.gif

Tonight, I will be walking. hehe I will be back for individual posts after I finish this yummy Lean Cusinie (never thought I would say that)! haha

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I am back (continued from my post up top), that pizza is filling too!
9.gif
3.gif

SOMETHINGSHINY ~ I hope you feel better soon!
12.gif

HAVEN ~ good to see you back!!! Awesome to volunteering, you get the kiddos motivated as well as yourself, woo hooo! Happy Rollerblading w/the pup!

KIMBERLY ~ YUM, you dinner sounded goooood! And a beer too, yum!
embeer.gif

MARCY ~ Yay for a walk around the mall, Marcy!!!! Wooo hoo for kwel sunglasses!
10.gif
9.gif
Yum to frozen yogurt! LOL, I know, I thought I was funny in the post I lost too!
2.gif
hehe

ROD ~ sorry your day was uber duber long, hugs! Yay for the gym, you are in awesome shape, hopefully someday I will be in as good of shape as you!!!

LORELEI ~ wow, you are a busy bee and probably building muscles too, wooo hooo you little hottie
9.gif

MISCKA ~ it is great to see you back on this thread, I missed you honey and woo hoo for the weight loss!! Ah, thank you, for such sweet words, you are so sweet yourself honey, hugs!!!

GOINGCRAZY ~ yipppeee for a booty kicking workout!! You will see the hard work little by little, keep it up!!!

SHARON, yay for the great workouts missy! You rock!

SDL~ you are doing so good!!! You rock, keep up the great work, yippeee!!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy hump day all!

Today I did a "hard" workout, 65 mins on the elliptical, keeping my heartrate in the 160s/170s the whole time. I must have been getting lazy over the past few months because even though I've been doing the elliptical for 65 mins, making the effort to keep my heart rate at a consistently high level was a little hard!

You guys have scared me with the proten (!) so I went back and calculated what I've taken in the past few days and it hasn't been anywhere NEAR 90 grams, so I felt better. Whew!

The scale gave me a little more off today for a total of about 14 lbs, so I'm happy about that. I am worried about my upcoming week in Florida though because no matter how hard you try to be good on vacation there is just so much you can't control...
8.gif

Skippy, I LOVE that LC pizza, I also really like the mushroom one, but IMHO pizza should have red sauce on it so I always heat up a little Classico sauce and dip the squares in there. YUM!

Michelle, I am very very sad to hear about Josh. I will keep him in my thoughts. Big hugs outing to you, Ruth, and the entire family.

Sharon, our weather has improved these past few days so I'm not mad at you any more!
2.gif

Going, I know what you mean about being impatient to see the results! Really though I bet you'll be surprised at how quickly you see improvement!

Miscka, don't worry about two breakfasts--on Monday night I had two dinners... I ate some left over salmon and lentils around 4:00 thinking I would just have something small later, like a piece of fruit, but when I got back from doing something the HH had "surprised" me by grilling the steaks, asparagus, potatos, and other veggies that we didn't eat over the weekend. I didn't want to hurt his feelings so I had some. So no matter how bad rice cereal and oatmeal might be, steak is worse!

Lorelei, I have this image of you out there in the driveway in a pair of cut offs and a halter top with your new electric car polisher! Tres sexy!
9.gif

Rod, oh my, I feel bad for that guy with the "protein overload"! Poor thing!

Marcy, even when I get my nails done at the salon I am SUPER careful for at least an hour, and then mostly careful for several more!

Kimi, I hope no one was hurt in the car that hit the pole. And even though your dinner plans changed it sounds like you had fun!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hey!

Dee, sorry to have scared you. We did have fun, but it wasn''t in my food plans for the week. It didn''t appear that anyone was hurt and no report in the paper this morning.

GC29, glad you''re not hurting but still got a great workout.

Welcome, Haven!!!

Skip, I''m gonna have to check out that pizza.

So we''re having veal and veggies for dinner tonight. I went to the gym: 45 min. cardio, lifted legs tonight. Hooray. My book is calling...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Back from a 40 min, walk, had to cut it short since it is getting dark Quick!!! Had veggie, chicken bean soup again, last night. haha

DEEJAY ~ wooo hooo on the 14 lbs, you are losing Quick!!!!
36.gif
great job, skinny minnie!

KIMI ~ yay for another awesome workout and enjoy your yummy dinner!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.....of course it was a looong day. You know the drill, got up in the dark (hate that....and will never not hate it!). Worked my now common 10 hour day. At least it wasn''t a gym night. Charlie was off today, so he baked some fresh chicken and steamed some nice veggies and I got to come home to a nice home cooked dinner. We did slip out for a cup of decaf afterward. I''ve been working pretty much since we got home. Tomorrow is another "UBER" long day as it''s a gym day, so I won''t get home until well after 9 PM.

I''m sure you''re getting a great workout as the "builder''s mate" Lorelei! Have fun with the new polisher for that beautiful new car!!

Miscka, both your breakfasts were healthy!!!

Yay for having your booty kicked GoingCrazy!! I loved having a trainer when we had ours. Being laid off and working for much less than I''ve worked for in a long time, sort of killed that part, but I learned a lot and do maintain a high level of self motivation!

I''m glad the weather is still fantastic Sharon!! I''m sure you''ll have snow sooner than you want, so I hope you get to enjoy this as long as you can!

Michelle, you crack me up!! Your friends will be in my prayers. That is so sad and he''s only in his 20s. I''m sure his mother is beyond devastated.......

Skippy, I have tried virtually everything Lean Cuisine makes. I pretty much like it all. When I was really losing weight, I ate lots and lots and lots of LC''s that''s for sure. And I still have them often after a later night workout for dinner. Thanks for kudo''s sweetie!! And I have every confidence you are in great shape right now. And you''re only going to get better and better!

Good for you pushing your heart rate DeeJay. I always push my heart rate up to at least 160 when I''m on the elliptical.

I''m glad to see you''re using your gym membership Kimberly!

OK.......everyone sleep well. I''ll do my best to check in tomorrow night, even if just briefly.......

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi everyone!

35.gif
We are on the downhill slide of the week.Yippee.
36.gif
I wore my new trench coat today – I have to sew on one button already – rats.
8.gif

Rod, I am glad you get both mental and physical rewards from your workouts.

arniesmile.gif
That is interesting about eating too much protein.

Lorelei, I hope you are getting paid well to be your hubby’s helper.

1236057qd9orpxyzi.gif

Miscka, I don’t know what a churro is either but I know I see them on menus.

1.gif

GoingCrazy, I am glad you are having such a great time at the gym.

wow1.gif
It won’t be long till you see some great results.

Sharon, we had another lovely day here too, that is great you got in some many outdoor activities today.

bikerrrr.gif
I want to go for a walk tomorrow night.

Michelle, LOL at “breadaholic”.

9.gif
We used to have a bread maker and we ate a lot of hot bread with butter on it.We gave it to Marty’s grandma.I am so sorry to hear about your friend’s son.

Skippy, the LC pizzas are quite tasty.

mmmpizzapizza.gif
3.gif

DeeJay, congratulations for losing 14 pounds.

hi501.gif
Don’t worry about it on your vacation – just enjoy yourself.If I had to wait that long for my nails to dry they would be trashed all the time.Patience is not one of my strengths.
1142023wc11ro40lj.gif

Kimi, enjoy your evening of reading.

1.gif

Have a great evening and sleep soundly.

sleepy.gif

Marcy

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Michelle, I am so sorry, I missed the sad info, prayers outgoing for your friends and family Ruth and Josh, please keep us posted, friend!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 12:12:07 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 9/18/2008 12:04:08 AM
Author: Skippy123
Michelle, I am so sorry, I missed the sad info, prayers outgoing for your friends and family Ruth and Josh, please keep us posted, friend!
Thank you, I will.. I''m getting it from a friend in PA who is near to her.
7.gif
Ruth hasn''t been home in 70 days.. she refuses to leave Josh at the hospital in case something happens.
Oh goodness, I am sorry and prayers outgoing for sure!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

35.gif
mornin!!!!!

Michele: Prayers to your friend. I simply cannot imagine what they must endure.
I am a carb junkie--there is a market close by that makes the best french bread--the loaf often doesn''t make it home with out a large chunk ripped off the end (and my car a mess!). MY DH will in San Diego this weekend/next week; maybe he''ll see you?
2.gif
I''ve prepared a shopping list.....
9.gif

We walked last night--it was incredibly fine outside. It will go and do my morning constitutional
9.gif
, as it is warm but windy.

Best wishes for a healthy and happy day my fellow HL''ers!

cheers--Sharon

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Oh SDL, I will pray for your friends. That is terribly sad
7.gif

Skippy I LOVE LC''s gourmet mushroom pizza! Yum. I also love their butternut squash ravioli.

Only one breakfast today, lol! Doing well!

If anyone is a Whole Foods addict like I am, I have 2 recommendations for you: The first is their Seafood Gumbo. I can eat this on my allergy diet! It is FANTASTIC! Yummy tomato base, fish, okra, peppers and a little bit of rice. Healthy and filling! My other recommendation is from a brand called Lesser Evil, and they are the Sea Salt and Pepper Krinkle Sticks. OMG. I literally bought 4 bags last time I was there, I eat them so much. They are one of a few carb snacks I can have on my diet and they are DELICIOUS! Only around 100 calories a serving, and the serving size is decent.

Question-I feel like I have been eating a lot of salt lately. Its pretty hard for me to change up what I have been eating since I am so limited. Is there any way to counteract the water-retention thing? Drink more water, or less water, anything else?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Whole Foods! My favorite is their chicken Italian Hot sausage and their Cheddar Sea Salt and baguettes. hehe
Miskca, have you seen this website??? I thought of you when I saw it http://www.glutenfree.com/home.aspx
Well, drink 6 to 8 glasses of water, that should help but can you cut back a little on your salt intake?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SDL, great job
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results