shape
carat
color
clarity

Headlight's BGD recut part two

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Here is the before and after data for the second stone (see previous post with background info).
Stone #2 BEFORE:
2.531 ct., 8.77 mm
Depth 61.3%
Pavilion 44.4%
PA 41.9
Crown 13.7%
CA 35.4
Table 61.5%
Culet VSML
Girdle Thin-STHK

1578175702042.png

1578175714469.png

1578175727125.png

1578175738587.png

Stone # 2 AFTER:
2.302 ct., 8.60mm
Depth 60.1%
PA 40.8
Crown 14.2%
Pavilion 43.2%
CA 33.8
Table 57.5%
Culet Pointed
Girdle Medium

1578176033760.png

1578176045953.png

1578176059933.png

1578176073065.png

1578176085273.png

1578176099036.png

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!! For stone number 2 you retained even more size! Just gorgeous!! (I commented on part 1 as well)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Wow!! For stone number 2 you retained even more size! Just gorgeous!! (I commented on part 1 as well)

THANK YOU! I know some will say they lost value because they lost carat weight, but they are still plenty big. Also, I think the value is still there because their cut quality has been radically improved. I'm not selling them, and I didn't purchase them, so a lesser carat weight wasn't the issue. They were (and still are!) quite sizable.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
THANK YOU! I know some will say they lost value because they lost carat weight, but they are still plenty big. Also, I think the value is still there because their cut quality has been radically improved. I'm not selling them, and I didn't purchase them, so a lesser carat weight wasn't the issue. They were (and still are!) quite sizable.

I totally agree! Goodness gracious they certainly are plenty big! I am excited for you. What a project!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thank you very much. This is as close as I will get to anything of this cut quality. I'm so thrilled to have this opportunity for BGD to create these beauties for me!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is incredible!!! I can't believe how much of the ct weight was retained in this one!!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
This is incredible!!! I can't believe how much of the ct weight was retained in this one!!!

I know! BGD did an absolutely amazing transformation! I appreciate your enthusiasm!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Just saw this...wow winner winner chicken dinner. No crying in your cheerios here!

cheers--Sharon

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, both are incredible, what a beautiful transformation.

Enjoy.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! I cant believe the difference for losing so little carat weight! Just beautiful!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
WOW! I cant believe the difference for losing so little carat weight! Just beautiful!

Thank you! I really had no preconceived expectations so I'm really excited that everyone thinks this is a great outcome!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful result! BGD did a fantastic job. Congratulations!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty dang fine- both of them!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy smokes....very impressive.

That before hearts image had me gasping. The after effects is truly phenomenal.

While you lost 0.20 carats, and dipped a little below the 2.5ct mark, I feel it is impressive you only lost 0.17mm in spread. In real world speak that's about as thick as two sheets of copy paper, and only detectable in a side by side comparison.

However, I'm envisioning the magic fire dance it does now more than makes your heart sing and that tiny spread difference is an absolute non-factor.

I may run a before & after HCA later for grins.

Seriously, what a transformation! So happy for you. Can you post some actual pics as well?

Just curious, but would you mind sharing more of the details of the re-cut process? For instance: how you initiated, what BGD required, costs involved, risks involved, duration, if you had any say in getting specific proportions, etc.

I don't see many threads with those sorts of details and I am curious to learn more.

Lastly, and a bit off topic but what stone is in your avatar? I noticed it earlier today and thought it looked rather amazing. If different than this stone, can you share details? It looks very crisp and clear to me.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both are SO much improved! So excited for you to have these two ‘new’ diamonds! Special because they are family stones too. Congrats and can’t wait for pictures when set!!

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
Wowza, these are much improved. I can't wait to see what they look like in person. Surely as a good PSer you took a substantial number of before photos!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Wowza, these are much improved. I can't wait to see what they look like in person. Surely as a good PSer you took a substantial number of before photos!

NOOOOO! The only “before” images are what I posted that BGD took :(

Reactions: AV_

headlight

Ideal_Rock
They both are SO much improved! So excited for you to have these two ‘new’ diamonds! Special because they are family stones too. Congrats and can’t wait for pictures when set!!

Thanks, @MissGotRocks you’re always such a great cheerleader for me!

Q

Queenie60

Great results! Congratulations to you.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Holy smokes....very impressive.

That before hearts image had me gasping. The after effects is truly phenomenal.

While you lost 0.20 carats, and dipped a little below the 2.5ct mark, I feel it is impressive you only lost 0.17mm in spread. In real world speak that's about as thick as two sheets of copy paper, and only detectable in a side by side comparison.

However, I'm envisioning the magic fire dance it does now more than makes your heart sing and that tiny spread difference is an absolute non-factor.

I may run a before & after HCA later for grins.

Seriously, what a transformation! So happy for you. Can you post some actual pics as well?

Just curious, but would you mind sharing more of the details of the re-cut process? For instance: how you initiated, what BGD required, costs involved, risks involved, duration, if you had any say in getting specific proportions, etc.

I don't see many threads with those sorts of details and I am curious to learn more.

Lastly, and a bit off topic but what stone is in your avatar? I noticed it earlier today and thought it looked rather amazing. If different than this stone, can you share details? It looks very crisp and clear to me.
I love all your questions! First off, the weight loss wasn’t of major concern to me. As I mentioned, they were so large to begin with and I knew they would still be quite large (IMO). Any loss in value wasn’t a deterrent because of that and because I have no plans of selling them. And I would think that the improvement in cut quality would increase their value in that regard???
As you may recall, I had already been through a recut experience with my former stone (not by BGD), so I wasn’t freaked out by the concept. Truth be told, when I had that other recut done, I scrambled to get the stone insured through jewelers mutual so it would be covered in the event of breakage. Well, for these stones, we didn’t even do that! My husband is the eternal optimist. I’m a worrier but I just had to “turn it over” to a “higher power” that the stones would make it through the recutting process intact. With that said, I’ve been on the husband for new studs of 1 ct each so I thought that if a stone broke in the process that perhaps they could create a pair of studs (I’m not kidding!).
The only photos I have thus far are what I’ve posted. You can be sure I will post pics when they are set, as well as report back on their grading reports.
You know how much ICE I’ve had (ideal cut envy... I just made that up lol!)... After the deflation of my elation over my 3X!!! So I’ve been watching and following and have been intrigued with all things BGD, CBI, ACA, etc. You know I’ve been insecure about the quality of my 3X.
I was going to sell the earrings and buy myself new studs as well as a fancy yellow radiant (yes!). My jeweler made me a horrible offer for the stones. My husband was really insulted and took them to 2 other jewelers in town and was offered more than DOUBLE for them. I’m sure some would say I should’ve taken the cash, but when I imagined the moment of the transaction, handing them over, and thinking about my father who has only been gone a little over a year (he gifted them to me), I was heartbroken and knew I could not sell them. But I didn’t want them just sitting in the safe. So I came up with the idea of making them into 2 more “usable” pieces, and giving them a makeover!
I had read about other PSers going to BGD for their recuts and picked up the phone!
I don’t think it’s appropriate for me to quote their recut pricing here but anyone can call and make the inquiry. Their team is extremely professional and responsive, with impeccable follow through. Super impressive.
As you know, the price is per carat... and It’s per the Sarin, so it’s completely objective, and not based on an appraiser’s weight estimate.
When I did that previous recut through my jeweler, I received no data whatsoever. With BGD, I received the “before” sarin and all images, along with the estimated specs post-recut. Then, after the recut, I received the final, actual sarin with the new images. Not only that, I was contacted by my personal rep at BGD to set up a time for BG himself to chat with me! I had no idea, what a great surprise! He wanted to introduce himself and review what he would be doing. I was really impressed by this. Talk about accountability. Like as if he needs to do this... it’s not like this is a huge revenue stream for him (recutting other people’s “messes”)... he’s busy with clients who want his incredible super ideal diamonds. He’s a trailblazer in the SI realm. Like he really has time to talk to me?... YET HE DID! Very impressive.
The stats are based on the best result he can create with what he has to work with. I was lucky that these stones are relatively clean (VS1 as per appraisal by an AGS Certified Appraiser). But, even with that, Brian said that until they’re into it, they don’t know what they have because they are recutting, they aren’t working from the rough, so that limits things. Recutting is definitely a leap of faith for sure!!!
The recutting fee, as I mentioned, does not cover damage to the stone, and that is clearly and specifically disclosed. It was my choice with regard to proceeding with or without my own insurance coverage. I provided a copy of my most recent appraisal, as well as confirmed with my carrier that the stones would be covered for loss in transport. Also, they provided very specific and user-friendly instructions on how to securely send the stones to them. And they have been available and gracious with my endless questions.
I was told it would take approximately 6 weeks and that estimate was spot on... and that’s even with the holidays!
If you run comparative HCAs, please share!
Now, as to your question about my avatar... that’s my 2.01 E SI2 3X with the 63% depth!!! Yes, this is very interesting, and I am curious to see how that compares with the recut stones. My husband thinks it will be a negligible difference. I think that’s a bit of an exaggeration. With that said, my AGS jeweler stands by this stone. I gave him the opportunity to up-sell me when he went on a recent buying trip and he could’ve easily done that, yet told me to keep what I have.
My guess is that my E will trump the others in that regard, the recuts will trump my current in visual optics/pattern, and the performance will be only slightly different (and only for those that scrutinize as only PSers can!)... or my local jeweler will once again have an opp to up-sell me lol ;-)

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Hey headlight, congratulations! I saw your two threads, and it looks like you've posted the same 'after' pictures for both diamonds. ;-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@headlight congratulations! Impressive recut and win win for sure. Nicely done. :appl:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hey headlight, congratulations! I saw your two threads, and it looks like you've posted the same 'after' pictures for both diamonds. ;-)

Hi, thanks for the info... images must’ve got crossed... I had almost everything loaded to do all in one thread but maxed out on images allowed so I had to break it up into the 2 posts. They look very close! I’ll have to sort that out. I think everyone got the point: BGD took 2 very poorly cut stones and did an amazing transformation!

Reactions: AV_

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Yes, Brian is amazing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results