shape
carat
color
clarity

HCA Score 6 :(

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Have you contacted bluenile? Will they let you exchange?

Once I wanted to upgrade from BN and I told them the new stone I want is not double the price, and they gave a credit toward my new diamond. For example if the diamond was worth 10k, they now give me credit of 8k. I forgot the percentage of lose.

You can always try and see what they say. Maybe this will be better than recut.

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
It falls in the range of having potential. But I never would give an opinion without at least seeing magnified images of the stone, and of course, it's nice when you can get light return images. The only concern about those angles is that the lower crown angle goes better with the higher pavilion angle.

For example, a lower 34.0 crown angle would usually be better with higher 40.9 pav. angle. A high 35 crown angle goes better with closer to a low 40.6 pav. angle. Many people love the mid range of around 34.5 ca and 40.8 pav angle. Those are the most risk free if you, for any reason, couldn't see the stone photos. The numbers on the end of the safe zone can be problematic because GIA rounds numbers.

What are your thoughts on this diamond? They offered me $8500 for my diamond so this would only be a few hundred extra. It is a j instead of an I but a vvs2 instead of a vs2 (which to be honest, don't really matter to me because i can't see any inclusions at all in my vs2) it is also a tick smaller!

Thanks for your opinion :)

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R162-168Z96510?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
A million billion times better!!!!!

Thanks! :D I wonder what the colour difference i might notice would be, I never notice my "I" from the top and very rarely from the side, my sister has a J that i think looks great, so I guess it just depends on the stone. I also notice this one doesn't score 100 on their cut score, but still falls within the parameters that I was given on here, so I would hope it would be super sparkly and not too noticeably different in size.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! :D I wonder what the colour difference i might notice would be, I never notice my "I" from the top and very rarely from the side, my sister has a J that i think looks great, so I guess it just depends on the stone. I also notice this one doesn't score 100 on their cut score, but still falls within the parameters that I was given on here, so I would hope it would be super sparkly and not too noticeably different in size.
Completely ignore their cut score. It's meaningless. And yes, how much color is visible depends on the stone, cut, etc. I think this is a massive improvement!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Run the info through the HCA tool - looks much more promising!

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
Run the info through the HCA tool - looks much more promising!
it got a 1.9! and says it looks big for its weight, it's 7.57x7.58. My current diamond is 7.65x7.7, do we think this would be a noticeable size downgrade or would the sparkliness outweigh the size difference?

Also, can you tell from the video if you think the cut would make it so that the yellowness wouldn't show? for an FYI my setting is rose gold with a platinum head! I'm super excited at this prospect :D

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it got a 1.9! and says it looks big for its weight, it's 7.57x7.58. My current diamond is 7.65x7.7, do we think this would be a noticeable size downgrade or would the sparkliness outweigh the size difference?

Also, can you tell from the video if you think the cut would make it so that the yellowness wouldn't show? for an FYI my setting is rose gold with a platinum head! I'm super excited at this prospect :D
That size difference won't be visible to the naked eye. We typically say that .2mm is visible (e.g. 7.5mm vs. 7.7mm), but this is .1mm, and won't matter at all IRL. I don't think there will be much "yellow" to this stone, although of course that's a personal color sensitivity thing. I would say go for it!

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
That size difference won't be visible to the naked eye. We typically say that .2mm is visible (e.g. 7.5mm vs. 7.7mm), but this is .1mm, and won't matter at all IRL. I don't think there will be much "yellow" to this stone, although of course that's a personal color sensitivity thing. I would say go for it!

Thanks! I've asked if it faces up white... I'm also going to do a quick search to see if I can do any better. To be honest I would rather go down a grade or two in clarity and go up in colour, but I don't know if that is a trade off that doesn't affect the price.

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
@lovedogs Sorry to keep asking so many questions, but a pp mentioned to keep the pavilion below 40.9 unless the crown is 34... this diamond has a 41 pavilion with a 34.5 crown... thoughts?? She is asking the place in India for the ASET, I will def post if she is able to get it!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs Sorry to keep asking so many questions, but a pp mentioned to keep the pavilion below 40.9 unless the crown is 34... this diamond has a 41 pavilion with a 34.5 crown... thoughts?? She is asking the place in India for the ASET, I will def post if she is able to get it!
Not to worry! 41 and 34.5 is completely fine. 41 is a little outside our recommended range, but can work fine with 34 or 34.5. As long as the HCA score is under 2, you can feel assured that the angles work fine together. But I think an ASET/IS would help!

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
@lovedogs This is the ASET- I don't know how to read it at all lol

aset.png

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good job getting the ASET.

The yellow circles show leakage. The green circles show less intense light return.

The light red/pink color on the table is less severe than some of the manipulation down on the upper girdle facets on the outside edges where you have excess green (instead of red).

Inkedaset_LI.jpg

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
Good job getting the ASET.

The yellow highlighted areas show leakage. The green areas show less intense light return. The light red/pink on the table is less severe than some of the manipulation down on the upper girdle facets on the outside edges.

Inkedaset_LI.jpg

Would you probably pass on this given the ASET then?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you probably pass on this given the ASET then?

I would. You can find better stones. However, Enchanted Diamonds have quite a few good stones and if I understood your previous post correctly, they will give you $8,500 on trade? Is that trade limited only to this particular stone, or to any stone you find with them?

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
@sledge I don't believe that is on trade, the wording was we would be able to buy your stone for $8500, what I liked about using enchanted was i could just send them the whole ring, they would take my diamond out, and put whatever one i chose back in!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would. You can find better stones. However, Enchanted Diamonds have quite a few good stones and if I understood your previous post correctly, they will give you $8,500 on trade? Is that trade limited only to this particular stone, or to any stone you find with them?
Agreed. I don't love the ASET.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge I don't believe that is on trade, the wording was we would be able to buy your stone for $8500, what I liked about using enchanted was i could just send them the whole ring, they would take my diamond out, and put whatever one i chose back in!

Wow, if they are offering you $8,500 cash without the requirement to purchase anything from them I'd jump on that deal in a heart beat! Effectively they are giving you 75% of your initial purchase price with no strings attached.

Just another way to look at it....you said you were only 70% happy earlier....

$11,300 initial price x 70% happy = $7,910 worth of happiness

Here are a few more you may want to consider. In all cases, I'd ask for an ASET, idealscope and H&A image if any or all of them are available.

1.62 I VS2 @ $10,490
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R162-3109Z4Z13?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

56 table, 61.8 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 75 LGF. Measures 7.52 x 7.54.

1.62 I VVS2 @ $10,370
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R162-249352580?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

56 table, 61.9 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 75 LGF. Measures 7.52 x 7.54.

1.60 J VS1 @ $8,057
https://www.withclarity.com/diamond/6322486844?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

57 table, 62.1 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 80 LGF. Measures 7.46 x 7.50.

FYI, WithClarity used to be FourMines. My guess is that ED can also get this diamond and probably price match, etc as well if they do require you purchase something to get the $8,500.

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
@sledge thanks for those options! I am trying to keep it as close to the value that they will give me as possible since this is a bit of a secret mission haha. Does the last option look noticeably more yellow to you?

:) I am not sure when this offer will expire, as I don't want to jump on selling my stone right away and mysteriously be without a ring for who knows how long if you know what I mean haha.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge thanks for those options! I am trying to keep it as close to the value that they will give me as possible since this is a bit of a secret mission haha. I'll ask her to take a closer look at the last option :) I am not sure when this offer will expire, as I don't want to jump on selling my stone right away and mysteriously be without a ring for who knows how long if you know what I mean haha.

You're welcome and I gotcha.

On that other 1.74 stone you posted earlier with the 35 crown and 40.8 pavilion. Please make sure you get an ASET image before you buy. Technically the proportions work, but I've seen several 35/40.8 combos that have leakage. On the flip side, I've seen some awesome ones as well.

Just remember, angles and proportions only tell us part of the picture. Things like the ASET, idealscope and H&A images provide us warm fuzzies about light performance & symmetry. While not required to make a purchase, it makes the event less stressful.

The good news is regardless what you decide, you are still wearing a 1.70+ carat rock! I hope we can find you a solution that gets you to the 100% happy level. :cool2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge thanks for those options! I am trying to keep it as close to the value that they will give me as possible since this is a bit of a secret mission haha. Does the last option look noticeably more yellow to you?

:) I am not sure when this offer will expire, as I don't want to jump on selling my stone right away and mysteriously be without a ring for who knows how long if you know what I mean haha.

Have you gone out and looked at some stones in-person?
Have you figured out what flavour of stone your eyes like best?
Do you like bright and glittery?
Do you like opal-esque rolling flashes of colour?
How important is face-up colour compared to side-view colour, to you?
Tell us your preferences, and we will help you find stones that meet them.

If you haven't done your homework then I strongly suggest you take some time to do so before spending/losing several thousand (more). @dreamer_dachsie and I aren't advising this because we're determined to hold you back or waste your time - neither of us care, to be honest. But we've both been around the diamond block many, many times, and we've learnt that the eyes should always win. So do yourself a favour and give your eyes a chance - the fact that this thread exists at all is proof that you are more demanding and detail-oriented than the average diamond shopper, and that means that you need to take extra care to ensure you'll be pleased with whatever you decide on.

Last edited:

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
Have you gone out and looked at some stones in-person?
Have you figured out what flavour of stone your eyes like best?
Do you like bright and glittery?
Do you like opal-esque rolling flashes of colour?
How important is face-up colour compared to side-view colour, to you?
Tell us your preferences, and we will help you find stones that meet them.

If you haven't done your homework then I strongly suggest you take some time to do so before spending/losing several thousand (more). @dreamer_dachsie and I aren't advising this because we're determined to hold you back or waste your time - neither of us care, to be honest. But we've both been around the diamond block many, many times, and we've learnt that the eyes should always win. So do yourself a favour and give your eyes a chance - the fact that this thread exists at all is proof that you are more demanding and detail-oriented than the average diamond shopper, and that means that you need to take extra care to ensure you'll be pleased with whatever you decide on.

Thanks for the feedback! I would love to go look at stones in person, but I don't really have anywhere to go and do that. Or do you mean order them, look at them, then decide? I am an extremely picky person, and I will admit, knowing that my stone is not ideally cut does bother me, even though I enjoy the way it looks most of the time, its just some weird thing in my head i guess haha.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where do you live? The jeweller doesn’t need to be a PS vendor.

I do mean go out and see some stones, not buy and return - that’s a huge and expensive hassle.

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
Where do you live? The jeweller doesn’t need to be a PS vendor.

I do mean go out and see some stones, not buy and return - that’s a huge and expensive hassle.
Oh okay, gotcha! I live in Appleton, WI. There is one jewelry store here that isn't a "mall" jeweller I believe, I will go and take a look. Sometimes I find it a bit difficult looking at rings in stores because they are always so much sparklier it seems.

But anyways, that does seem like a good place to start, but I'm pretty sure I know I will like "bright and glittery", seeing colour from the side doesn't bother me as much, but seeing colour from the top does bother me. I want it to be eye clean! I will report back once I look, but i'm having a feeling they won't have much in the size range I'm looking for, or the quality, but worth a shot!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go to this jeweller - make an appointment (tell them you want to look at some stones and they’ll have some ready for you). If they have some in your size range that’s great, otherwise aim for at least a carat. Wear a white or grey shirt.

When you go, look at the stones side by side under different types of lights - under the spotlights, in the back office under the fluorescents, by a window... you’ll see that they behave a little differently. Pick the one that you like best and the one that you like least, take photos of the reports (or just face-up pics of the stones if they don’t have reports), and post here. We can figure out what flavour of stone you like best (either reports or clear face-up photos work) and make recommendations.

I can say up front that if you prefer glitter to big rolling flash the stone you got an ASET for wouldn’t have been my top recommendation even if it had been bright red under the table.

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
I can say up front that if you prefer glitter to big rolling flash the stone you got an ASET for wouldn’t have been my top recommendation even if it had been bright red under the table.

Would "glitter" = Scintillation or Fire?

I think the best way to describe what I mean is, when i move the diamond around, I want to see the little facets sparkling :lol:

ETA: my current diamond does this in places like target, or when its a sunny day but I'm in the shade!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would "glitter" = Scintillation or Fire?

I think the best way to describe what I mean is, when i move the diamond around, I want to see the little facets sparkling :lol:

ETA: my current diamond does this in places like target, or when its a sunny day but I'm in the shade!

My post on disco balls this thread. It’s about cushion types, but the ideas re. Flavour of light return are the same. https://www.pricescope.com/communit...for-a-5-carat-cushion-with-halo.243929/page-2

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
@yssie what a fantastic way to describe things! I think my preferred sparkle is the 3rd way you described things, but I will need to go and look at some diamonds to be sure!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry I missed your question from earlier in the week, but my answer would have been that the pavilion angle was out of the safe range and the stone might have leakage, which the ASET image confirmed. While Enchanted's number system doesn't work with fancies, it's pretty good with round brilliants, and I'd recommend sticking to stones designated 100% as they usually will fall within the parameters we recommend.

While I highly recommend looking at stones, few local jewelers will have a selection of excellent to ideal cut stones to really help one determine preferences. I know, I tried that early on. Even the higher end jewelry stores didn't specialize in top cut stones. In addition, I couldn't tell a thing about color in any jewelry store lighting. So my visits to local jewelry stores were basically a waste of time, other than to learn that well cut stones are vastly more accessible from online vendors! I ordered and looked at multiple stones many times over the years, and that did help me learn preferences for color and styles of cut. However, I am totally fine with all modern rounds cut within the the narrow ideal cut proportions such as from Whiteflash, where I have seen many stones. I had to look at more when choosing August Vintage stones, because they were not all the same, and I could go a little lower in color on those than modern rounds since they were antique cut. It costs a little in shipping, but again, you are unlikely to see the top cut stones locally, so it's worth it to order a stone or two to look at, in my opinion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results