shape
carat
color
clarity

Having a hard time reading Aset images. Can you comment on these 2?

mizzles

Rough_Rock
Premium
Stats on both of these would be informative.

Here they are. So again this is confusing to me. Isn't the top picture really bad? But the stats all are within range of the numbers diamondseeker wrote... all except the pavilion angle which is off by only POINT ONE.

Also can anyone comment on their thoughts on the aset image from the lower picture?

Top picture:

1.02 carat, VS2, I
table: 58
depth: 61.7
crown angle: 35
pavilion angle: 41

Bottom picture:

0.90 carat, SI1, I
table: 58
depth: 62.2
crown angle: 35.5
pavilion angle: 41

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hmm. Interesting. The plot thickens...

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi mizzles, I understand your frustration with this, with seemingly very small variation in angles leading to vastly different scope images.

The problem with these angles is that they are averages of 8 angles of crowns and 8 pavilions. So when the crown states 35, only the average of the 8 must equal 35, but actually it could range from 33 to 36 etc. The pavilion, likewise.

Additionally these are rounded values. 35 crown can mean anything between 34.75 to 35.25 and 41 pavilion can mean 40.9 to 41.99. Now if some of those averages are 36 paired with a 41.9 you're going to get washing out of the arrows (red instead of contrast), as seen in two arrows, even in the highly obstructive hearts viewer for diamond 1.

The first one is probably quite an attractive diamond, and if you never saw an ideal cut you may be very happy with it.

They are both steep/deep diamonds, the second being more so.

The angles are not complementary so you with the first diamond although it will be bright (lots of red under the table), it is lacking in contrast provided by the arrows, and may appear bright but somewhat lacking in life compared to a better cut diamond, with reduced fire in most lighting environments. Think of a checker-board vs a plain white background, the board has more 'brilliance' or oomph.

The reason the values are so specific because diamonds will leak light with uncomplementary angles, even if it's minuscule changes. Unless your diamond is hearts and arrows and cut to VERY tight tolerances, a 35/41 combo is risky. 34.9/40.9 H&A are extremely beautiful and sought for diamonds, but ones that are not especially cut to tight tolerances, as most diamonds aren't, I'd stick to the recommendations before, as it greatly increases the probability, even with averaging, that your angles are complementary.

And at the end of the day, you can clearly see the difference in scope appearance from just small variations in angles, so don't take our word for it, the proof is right there in front of you!

What is your budget, clarity, carat, colour requirements? We can help you look.

Just to note that these are computer generated ASETs from 3D scans of the diamonds, which can often make things look worse than areal life ASET.
Yes, it will greatly help if you know what to look for! Not to mention, it will save you time! We can help you, but for your own information, here are some cut parameters.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Last edited:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi mizzles, I understand your frustration with this, with seemingly very small variation in angles leading to vastly different scope images.

The problem with these angles is that they are averages of 8 angles of crowns and 8 pavilions. So when the crown states 35, only the average of the 8 must equal 35, but actually it could range from 33 to 36 etc. The pavilion, likewise.

Additionally these are rounded values. 35 crown can mean anything between 34.75 to 35.25 and 41 pavilion can mean 40.9 to 41.99. Now if some of those averages are 36 paired with a 41.9 you're going to get washing out of the arrows (red instead of contrast), as seen in two arrows, even in the highly obstructive hearts viewer for diamond 1.

The first one is probably quite an attractive diamond, and if you never saw an ideal cut you may be very happy with it.

They are both steep/deep diamonds, the second being more so.

The angles are not complementary so you with the first diamond although it will be bright (lots of red under the table), it is lacking in contrast provided by the arrows, and may appear bright but somewhat lacking in life compared to a better cut diamond, with reduced fire in most lighting environments. Think of a checker-board vs a plain white background, the board has more 'brilliance' or oomph.

The reason the values are so specific because diamonds will leak light with uncomplementary angles, even if it's minuscule changes. Unless your diamond is hearts and arrows and cut to VERY tight tolerances, a 35/41 combo is risky. 34.9/40.9 H&A are extremely beautiful and sought for diamonds, but ones that are not especially cut to tight tolerances, as most diamonds aren't, I'd stick to the recommendations before, as it greatly increases the probability, even with averaging, that your angles are complementary.

And at the end of the day, you can clearly see the difference in scope appearance from just small variations in angles, so don't take our word for it, the proof is right there in front of you!

What is your budget, clarity, carat, colour requirements? We can help you look.

Just to note that these are computer generated ASETs from 3D scans of the diamonds, which can often make things look worse than areal life ASET.

Very nice post!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gm89uk explained the problem well. If you look at the specs I gave you for crown and pav angle, the parts in parentheses are important. If you are looking at a stone with a 35.5 crown angle, that pav angle had better be around 40.6 or you're going to have the problem you see with these stones. A 35 I have seen be okay up to about 40.8. Just as a pavilion angle of 41.0 may work with a low 34 range crown angle. I have actually had a 35-41 stone before, but as gm89uk said, my angles obviously were not over those measurements with the rounding.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mizzles, I've nothing much to add as everyone else has covered everything perfectly, it can be frustrating indeed and especially in your case as you're looking for two of them!
We can go on the hunt for you if you like to find you two earring diamonds?

mizzles

Rough_Rock
Premium
Looking for pair of round studs total around 2 carat, H-I, VS2-SI1
Can anyone point me to a pair that might work?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results