shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you really got an Alexandrite? Read this first!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello and welcome!

I'm not the most savvy person here but the second one looks real to me. Judging by size, colour, cut and setting.
Anyway, I would not buy such an expensive ring/stone without a proper certificate. An opinion based on a photo is just an opinion.

Last edited:

Jimmy smith

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply, I’ll post another of the first. It had bad lighting and hard to get the green color. I should be able to get the red purple in the sun today. It looks similar to the second ring. The first one is the one I purchased from the reputable dealer.

Jimmy smith

Rough_Rock
I cleaned the ring up, it was very dirty underneath the setting. I snapped some with my phone as I don't have a good camera. The green color on the one picture looks darker, in person it looks more emerald-ish green. I've noticed in certain lighting conditions when my wife is wearing it, the purple color is very deep and then have also seen it where it's very green. Under the lights in the bathroom, it had lots of blue and red come thru. 20171210_104318.jpg 20171210_104306.jpg 20171210_103957.jpg 20171210_103346.jpg 20171210_103415.jpg 20171210_103542.jpg 20171210_103420.jpg

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The last ones, to me look like a synthetic/ lab Alexandrite (real Alexandrite, same chemical composition, only man made),the only way to know for sure is to get it to a gemologist or a lab.

The color is stunning, so fingers crossed it's natural!

Last edited:

Jimmy smith

Rough_Rock
Gloria, thanks for the reply. I'l send it in to a lab. This is the one I got from the reputable dealer. It was a $8500 ring :(
I'm glad I'll finally get confirmation on it.
I remember they send me the certs in email form 5 years ago, but don' t know what I did with them. I was very Ill at that time and cant even remember what was on it. I don't know what type of recourse id have, I know I have the receipt.
I did just email the jeweler where I bought it and asked if they would still have it on file. We'll see, thank you for the time spent helping me. It is a very pretty ring and I'll hate having to ask my wife to give it back to me so I can send it away to be tested.
One more question: how do you send these to the lab? What method, Fed ex, USPS? How to insure It? Lab may only cost $90. But it may cost $150. Just to insure it, so what is the way it's usually done? Thanks again.

Last edited:

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks like you paid the right amount of money for a real Alex, four years ago. Just saw a very similar one here:
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/yax849aa/&1244716636

If it was from a reputable dealer and you had the right paperwork, why do you doubt it now?

About the lab report, I don't live in the US so I don't know these details.
Maybe someone else would like to chime in and give some advice.
I'm not even sure if they accept a stone that's set in a ring.

Last edited:

Jimmy smith

Rough_Rock
I'm doubting it now because of this thread, I more so made the post for the other ring. This one was just purchased and TOLD it was real natural alexandrite but it doesn't have documentation.
Regarding the one I bought 4 to 5 years ago, I was very ill at the time I bought the ring and when I finally received the email from the dealer with the certification, I can't even remember what it said. I thought I printed it but I don't have them anywhere.
I sent an email to someone else I've been working with regarding a ruby ring purchase, and asked if they could dig up anything on it.
One thing that is reassuring is that the dealer has a A+ BBB rating and has been in business for 150 years.
I did email IGA and was told that they only work with dealers, not public, so sending it in is probably not gonna work unless I give to a friend who is a jeweler.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do not send it to IGA. I'm going to presume you are in the USA, so you can send it to either GIA or AGL. You do not need to remove the stone from the setting if you pay a slight added fee.

Jimmy smith

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the reply, right now I'm waiting to hear back from the jeweler regarding the original report. We'll see what happens. With the new ring I just purchased, the price was right and if it turns out to be fake, then I'll consider it a loss. I think they are both genuine but that remains to be seen. I'l get it off to IGL and report back. It may be some time tho.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason I am trying to discourage you from sending it to IGL is because it is considered a non respected / pretty much unknown lab in the world of coloured gemstones and it has almost no bearing whatsoever to those who are serious about gemstones (buying, selling, insurance, replacement purposes). I would hate for you to have to eventually send it to AGL or GIA later and having to spend money on a lab report twice.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Very good advice - AGL would be perfect!

Jimmy smith

Rough_Rock
My dealer replied and said that their supplier doesn't keep files of stones less than 1 carat so I can give to them and they will send it in to get the report for $225. They also told me that they never order any lab created gems unless they are specifically asked for by the customer. In my opinion the stone looks larger than 1 carat, do you agree? Extremely close anyway... I'm going to ask that they test the one I just purchased recently as well. See what they say. I looked at the receipt, and purchase date was 6 years ago that I purchased it, 12/19/11.

Attachments

• 20171211_152941.jpg
    20171211_152941.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 44

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jimmy smith

Rough_Rock
Yes, that's what they told me. I also asked if I could send in the other as well for an additional 225 and they said yes. Said it was the full report, origin, etc. Maybe should ask what lab they use and specify AGL ?
They sent me the sale report and it said the gem is .91 carat. So, im not sure its that valuable of a stone, even if it's real, but it sure looks stunning and wife loves it. The other one im very interested in finding out as it is 1.63 carat, almost double the size but it doesn't have quite the clarity and color depth.

Last edited:

Jimmy smith

Rough_Rock
I misread her email, it's 255. What do you think, is it worth the $ to get the origin details and color? What's if like 450 for the works, mounted? I don't mind if if adds to the value, if not the 170/ works for me, especially if they can't tell if for certain where it's from.

Last edited:

Jimmy smith

Rough_Rock
I went in today just to see it under a microscope. He told me that they have done business now with the same gem dealer for 5 generations. The jeweler there seemed very knowledgeable. He had a tiny cut of lab created Alexandrite, he used a black light and the little piece was very bright vs mine which was not. Then he went in and tried to find inclusions. It was difficult because its very clean but he did show me where there were a couple feathers, one was wavy and he called that 'water' something rather.
Anyway, I told him I'd still like to bring it in. He said, no problem. They had 3 other alexandrite rings in the case. 1 was 1.0X carat and was priced at $8500 and another was 1.9 carat and $11,000 and the 3rd .93 carat at $25,000. I put my ring up to all of them. The $8500. ring there was a large difference in color, mine was darker, more brilliant and colorful, easy to see the difference there, although it did have a pretty lighter bluish green color. He told me the origin of that one and I can't remember. The larger one was even lighter green and it was indian, and again just didn't have the color, very tame compaired to mine. The 25K ring had a nice double/triple halo design, very pretty, almost the same as mine as far as size and color goes, I think it may have been .93 carat and mine is .91. Mine had a bit better depth, or so I thought. Anyway, I realy liked that setting tho, it was very nice.
He assured me not to worry, that the report would come back fine and he said he though my ring would now be in the 15,000 range and to insure it for around that. He said the setting of the other ring was about $10,000. I didn't doubt that, it was very nice.

Attachments

• 20171212_004832.png
    20171212_004832.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 81

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were mine I'd have it removed from the setting and send it to AGL for a full report, including origin, myself.
The seller of the ring took your $8,500 for an Alexandrite without a reputable lab report that proves it's fully natural and untreated.
IMO that's not a highly-reputable seller.

They may not have knowingly tried to sell you a lab-created Alex at a natural Alex price, but even honest pros can be mistaken as to what they have/are selling with certain gems.
That's exactly what reputable labs are for.
Being as sure as possible supports the high price of real Alex.

I would not even tell the seller I was sending it to AGL.
(S)he has a potential conflict of interest (they claimed it was fully natural and charged you natural price without good proof) and may not want it to go to a reputable lab like AGL.
They maybe covering their butts.
Softer and less-reputable labs don't have the equipment and expertise to make the call with the highest certainty. AGL does.

Again, I'd send it to AGL myself, and not even mention it to the seller.

Last edited:

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree - from the pic it is not the well known vanadium doped synthetic sapphire stuff we usually see.

I have a loupeclean half carat alex from Hematita - the better qualities Multicolorgems sells - with a strong CC - impossible for me with my equipment to say whether natural or synthetic.

I have a lab report but I agree with Kenny - there is always a chance that a synthetic ( and good ones are really pretty) alex is mixed into a parcel of natural ones.

A lab report for these stones is a must have.

Jimmy smith

Rough_Rock
Oh, I still planned on having it sent to AGL, but if you think I should send myself, maybe I should, but that is where they told me they would send it for the 255 price. 450 for the full report. I've done a lot of looking at the Brazilian type online at AGL certified gems and it looks just like the higher end ones. It is extremely nice looking with same colors and color change. I do need the report to be 100% certain.
Why would you take it out of its setting, so they could get a carat weight? Also, how are they insured for shipping to AGL, and what carrier us usually used?

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best option for you is to have your jeweller remove the stone from the setting and send it to AGL on your behalf.

If doing so yourself, the safest way is USPS registered and buy the insurance option, declaring it for your sale value since you'll need the receipt to claim compensation should it become lost/damaged in transit. It needs to be packed very carefully and the Post Office will need to brown tape it. It is tracked every single step of the way, is locked up every night, and requires signature showing how handled the package and when it was handled.

In short, best to have your jeweller handle it from start to finish.

Jimmy smith

Rough_Rock
Ok, thank you for the info.
Why is it important to remove the stone from the setting?
I'll have them take it out and send it in for me. I'll be taking it in Friday... hopefully with my other ring. Thanks again for the tips

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a full assessment with accurate weight, the stone needs to be removed from the setting.

Jimmy smith

Rough_Rock
Got it, that's what I figured, just want sure.
Yep, I'll be taking it in and asking them to do just that.
I just worry that they or someone may switch it out on me. Is there any way to get pictures from dealer before the stone gets removed. Something that would give signature to the stone. I did see the inclusions that were on the stone. There were very few...but wonder if that scope can take pics?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have the jeweller take accurate measurements with an electronic caliper and note the dimensions on the readout.

Also note any inclusions particular to your stone under high magnification and make a note of what you see and where they are on a stone plot. These are your stone's "birthmarks" which are almost impossible to replicate.

Jimmy smith

Rough_Rock
Thanks again all, for the info, even if bad news, I'll post it here. I'm not sure what my recourse would be but I can guarantee after this purchase, I'll get a cert with anything I buy. It is assuring that they have a A+ rating on BBB, and have sold very high dollar jewelry. I know when I bought this ring, there was a 40K 2.XX carat one right beside it. Mine was deeper in color, which I liked, but smaller of course.
I'll be going in at 1:00 to drop it off. We will measure and record and said she would ship it overnight today. Not sure the turn around on such a service, but I'm guessing a week or two minimum
I am tempted to buy a large alex with a cert, I absolutely love the color of my wife's. I would like to make a ring with it for myself to tell you the truth. I was on the cusp 6 years ago when I bought her ring, prices have doubled practically, for the nice ones. I suppose I'd have to pay over 20K for a nice Brazilian stone in the 1.5 carat range. Would have liked to have bought a couple nice size stones when I purchased the ring for my wife, but life took some different turns.

Thanks again all

Last edited:

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am quite sure the stone is from Multicolorgems. These oval brazilian alexandrites have a significant cut in the pavillion I have only seen in MCG stones and some from Africagems ( maybe always the same cutter) Your second pic...

Maybe he can help...Do you know the weight? You have the length of the stone.

Jimmy smith

Rough_Rock
can I show the place of purchase on here? I can get the length, I have some calipers.
They also told me that they purchased the stones and typically hold them a couple years before they even mount them. They usually buy a few at a time, so this 2011 was maybe purchased in 2009?
20171212_004832.png

Last edited:

Jimmy smith

Rough_Rock
Just dropped it off. Went over the ring well, and logged the birthmarks.

I don’t think they got this from MCG, but maybe where MCG gets their stones ? She couldn’t tell me their seller, but she did say that public couldn’t buy from them. Anyway, it’s a done deal, and hope to see it back and with good report In 2 or 3 weeks. We looked at that 25k ring under the scope as well. Looked similar to mine but different marks. Also the color is reddish on the edges, mine is more deep purple, and the cut was a bit different it seemed, it was .99 c. She also told me that they purchased my stone in 2007, 3 years before sold to me.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
MCG buys rough and cut them...

A strong red LW UV is not always an indication for a synthetic alexandrite.

The iron/chrome ratio is important - to much iron and the fluor is weaker.

Hematita alexandrite with strong red fluor and incandescent light.

IMG_1258.JPG IMG_1263.JPG

Last edited:

Jimmy smith

Rough_Rock
Yes sir, I wasn’t saying it didn’t get bright, it lit up but that piece of lab Alex was like a glowing beacon. 2 Times brighter than mine. Do you have a piece of lab created to show the difference side by side?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results