shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you really got an Alexandrite? Read this first!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Ella -
While LD is standing in the corner, I'd like to second the request to "stickify" this thread please :bigsmile:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And Ella: I concur with it being a sticky, but really just want to go hang out in the corner with LD and Starzin.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Hey! I'm not standing in the corner! I didn't do nuffin'

karmae

Rough_Rock
Hello, my boyfriend got me a 3 stone stone ring that has 2 Alexandrites and a diamond. We got it tested and it came back saying they are natural Brazilian stones. Ive tested them with taking a picture with my phone in day light and they pass the test of looking grey/purple but it i use the flash on my phone to take the picture i can see the emerald green. It seems strange since everyone says its hard to get a picture with the natural green to show up in the picture.

Any ideas? should i get it tested by a different lab?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Try indirect daylight without a flashlight.

LizC

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for sharing on this page... it's been really helpful! I have a very old 14k gold ring that has a color changing stone, teal in daylight & purple in indoor lighting. Someone told me it might be a genuine alexandrite. It also has a very unique setting, here are some pictures.

I want to take it to get tested but I don't know where to start. I live in the Chicago area. If anyone can refer someone, that would be great! Also, do these places charge to test the stone?

Thank you!

2015-01-03_20.jpg
2015-01-03_20_1.jpg
2015-01-03_20_2.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

save your money - def. no alexandrite.

LizC

Rough_Rock
Here is a picture near a window. The color looking at it with my eyes was teal, but with the camera it came out purple. Same with the previous pictures. It was purple, not reddish like in the upper pictures. In one light it is purple, in natural light (& not direct sunlight) it is teal. Why do the colors come out different with a camera?

Also, do you still think I would be wasting my money to get it tested? If so, please explain :)

Thank you so much!

2015-01-05_0.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Please read this topic and the related topics. You will find the answer.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1420703327|3813383 said:

Ditto; size, clarity and the colour change all points towards vanadium laced synthetic colour change sapphire.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1420721536|3813422 said:

Ditto; size, clarity and the colour change all points towards vanadium laced synthetic colour change sapphire.

So Marlow and Chrono: without incurring the expense of sending it off to a lab, is there a straightforward, more local way the OP could rule out alexandrite? For example, could she find a local jeweler specializing in colored stones to run tests? Would an RI reading do it?
(and it probably goes without saying that I agree that the stone is not an alexandrite - way too big, way too clean, and frankly, too perfect in tone and saturation).

OP: good luck! Let us know what you find out! :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Refractive index will be the first and probably easiest step. Synthetic cc sapphire will be around 1.759 to 1.778 whilst alexandrite will be around 1.741 to 1.760. Further narrowing down of the possibilities can be done by checking the specific gravity, looking at the inclusions under high magnification, reaction under UV, and pleochroism.

LizC

Rough_Rock
Thank you... I appreciate your comments!

I was able to take a closeup of it this morning. It is not as clear as it appears in the other photos.

What type of jeweler should I be seeing to confirm? Any suggestions in Chicago area?

Will update you later :)

ring_-_jan_8-5.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most jewellers haven't a clue about coloured stones. Try to find someone who has a refractometer and knows how to use it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1420737381|3813527 said:
Chrono|1420721536|3813422 said:

So Marlow and Chrono: without incurring the expense of sending it off to a lab, is there a straightforward, more local way the OP could rule out alexandrite? For example, could she find a local jeweler specializing in colored stones to run tests? Would an RI reading do it?
(and it probably goes without saying that I agree that the stone is not an alexandrite - way too big, way too clean, and frankly, too perfect in tone and saturation).

OP: good luck! Let us know what you find out! :wavey:

I honestly wouldn't waste the money, or the time of the jeweler. I often don't like to comment on pictures to make a definitive analysis of a colored gem, but this stone screams synthetic color change corundum.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Think, we discussed several similar "alexandrites" here - this is obviously a synthetic corundum. Looks like all the other pictured stones.

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
What do you think about this Alexandrite? Posted on https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/engagement-rings/alexandrite-diamond-gold-ring/id-j_248096/ with color changing from light green to grayish purple. I requested pictures of the ring in daylight and the seller kindly provided them (see the last three photos). The main (first) photo on the site was taken under incandescent light. I like the color contrast as presented on the pictures: from light green (they call it military green) to, I would say, somewhat deep blue-violet, even though the description states "grayish purple".
However I read in some articles that any shades of grayish or brownish are not desirable for Alexandrite. And the best color change (typical for Russian stones) is from deep green to deep purplish-red or raspberry red. As I understand, the presence of red hues is a "must" for quality stones.
What do you think about this stone and the ring as a whole?
Appreciate any opinions.

Irina

alexmainphoto.jpg

alexdaylight.jpg

alexphoto.jpg

alexdaylight2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go by the description, rather than the pictures because photographing colour change stones is very difficult and often times not accurate as the stone does not want to cooperate. Therefore, I don't think the stone will look as nice as pictured once in hand. I have yet to see an alexandrite devoid of any gray or brown, so I aim for something with as little gray or brown as possible. The workmanship on the halo isn't nice but the underside looks well done.

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Chrono! You dispelled my doubts about this halo ring.

May I ask your opinion on this one Russian antique http://www.rubylane.com/item/750954-1000584/Antique-Alex78andrite-Diamond-Art-Nouveau-Flower? I have been desperately dreaming about Russian alexandrite, but unfortunately when I discovered this beautiful piece, it had been already sold. There is no mentioning of red in the description of the stone. Shouldn't the presence of red hues under incandescent light be typical for old Russian Alexandrite stones?
Many thanks!

1_alx_0.jpg

alexandrite__2_.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
irinaalexandrovna|1420848452|3814320 said:

May I ask your opinion on this one Russian antique http://www.rubylane.com/item/750954-1000584/Antique-Alex78andrite-Diamond-Art-Nouveau-Flower? I have been desperately dreaming about Russian alexandrite, but unfortunately when I discovered this beautiful piece, it had been already sold. There is no mentioning of red in the description of the stone. Shouldn't the presence of red hues under incandescent light be typical for old Russian Alexandrite stones?
Many thanks!

I wouldn't trust any stone as true Russian unless it had a highly reputable lab report that confirmed origin.

While that's a pretty antique piece, the stone is highly included. Also, while I know alexandrites are difficult to photograph, the incandescent colorway is a very dark brownish red. Not very attractive to my eye.

Not all Russian material is top quality, and some other locations have very fine qualities.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LizC|1420738351|3813539 said:
Thank you... I appreciate your comments!

I was able to take a closeup of it this morning. It is not as clear as it appears in the other photos.

What type of jeweler should I be seeing to confirm? Any suggestions in Chicago area?

Will update you later :)

I'm so sorry Liz but this doesn't look like a natural Alexandrite. It's fairly common to find large stones that are almost eye clean (perhaps with the exception of what looks like tiny bubbles). At the end of the day, you've got a pretty ring but unfortunately the stone isn't an Alex :(sad

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1420851922|3814344 said:
irinaalexandrovna|1420848452|3814320 said:

Many thanks!

I wouldn't trust any stone as true Russian unless it had a highly reputable lab report that confirmed origin.

While that's a pretty antique piece, the stone is highly included. Also, while I know alexandrites are difficult to photograph, the incandescent colorway is a very dark brownish red. Not very attractive to my eye.

Not all Russian material is top quality, and some other locations have very fine qualities.

Couldn't agree more. Most "Russian" Alex isn't Russian at all. In fact, from what I know, the majority of Russian Alex - especially that mined in later years, suffers greatly from clarity issues.

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
LD|1421240751|3816187 said:
Couldn't agree more. Most "Russian" Alex isn't Russian at all. In fact, from what I know, the majority of Russian Alex - especially that mined in later years, suffers greatly from clarity issues.

The one I mentioned in my reference http://www.rubylane.com/item/750954-1000584/Antique-Alex78andrite-Diamond-Art-Nouveau-Flower could be indeed Russian as the ring claims to be made in Russia in the early 1900-s, and the stone looks original. And yes, it is heavily included.

motacilla

Rough_Rock
Just to add a bit of info. I inherited a Soviet ring with a small stone that changes colour. The colours are pale, washed out pastels, ranging from pinkish purple to light green. I had a gemmologist look at it and she said it's a synthetic spinel made to imitate Alexandrite.
Here are some pics to see the different tones. Sorry, have no photos of the greenish hues.

The ring is gold plated silver (a hint that the stone probably isn't an Alex!) but it has sentimental value, so it's dear to me, nevertheless.

_29578.jpg

_29579.jpg

_29580.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
motacilla|1430062769|3868052 said:
Just to add a bit of info. I inherited a Soviet ring with a small stone that changes colour. The colours are pale, washed out pastels, ranging from pinkish purple to light green. I had a gemmologist look at it and she said it's a synthetic spinel made to imitate Alexandrite.
Here are some pics to see the different tones. Sorry, have no photos of the greenish hues.

The ring is gold plated silver (a hint that the stone probably isn't an Alex!) but it has sentimental value, so it's dear to me, nevertheless.

Thank you for posting your experience Motacilla. I'm glad that finding out it's a synthetic stone hasn't dampened your love for the ring. Sometimes sentimental value outweighs any actual value. I have a glass green stone I inherited from my mother set in silver and it's so pretty, worth nothing, but I love it.

Your story also outlines how some people can think if a ring is from Russia it's the real deal and unfortunately that's not the case.

Enjoy wearing your lovely ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
motacilla|1430062769|3868052 said:

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment. :))

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi! I have these earrings, photos are below, accordingly to the earlier info the stones are natural, am i correct? :think:
In the daylight they look greener in RL, could not achieve it on photo.

img_7771.jpg

img_7772.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry but there's no way to sure from your photo. This thread is only aimed at giving pointers. Some people post photos and it's clear that they are not Alexandrites due to size, inclusion (or lack or), description, colourway but there are some very very very good synthetics so I wouldn't like to say with your earrings. The colour isn't quite right for Alex BUT they are notoriously difficult to photograph.

Yours are in the category of "very difficult to tell from a photo". I have a gut feeling but I think you'd be better going to a jeweller and having an RI test on both stones which should help you a bit further rather than relying on my gut! :D

BTW a correct RI test isn't definitive either because I had a synthetic that tested the same RI as an Alex - so in that instance I followed my gut and sent it for testing. It turned out to be synthetic.

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi LD and thank you for your reply :)

Kind regards,

Roi

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results