shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you been to a tacky wedding ??

ooohdiamonds

Rough_Rock
If so, what specifically made this wedding tacky?

I personally haven't been to a tacky wedding, but a friend of a friend recently got married. She put photos up on Facebook so I got to see what the wedding was like. Plus, she used this absolutely amazing photographer/videographer, so her wedding was up on his website. My reaction was :errrr: :o :shock:

You can tell she spend an abundance of $$$ on the wedding... the photographer/videographer alone cost $10,000 (I know because I know people who've used his services and I'm planning to hire him myself), the wedding reception, the transportation... everything was pricey!!!

Basically her whole wedding appeared tacky, trashy princess and prince them. She honestly looked/reminded me of Jordan (aka. Katie Price.) Check out the image of Jordan below... yes, this bride even had a similar 'crown' and puffy dress :???:

r.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Ugh. Yes.

I was at a wedding once and there was GLITTER. Everywhere, on everything.

I don't know if this is an acceptable thing these days, I don't go to a lot of weddings, but to me, glitter is a no-no.

(as iLander realizes she runs the risk of offending someone on PS, she decides to log off and wait for the glitter to hit the fan)

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
The dress is not the only thing that seems unnaturally puffy

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
*grabs popcorn, sits back in comfy chair*

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1308024666|2945331 said:
The dress is not the only thing that seems unnaturally puffy
:lol:

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I once went to a tacky wedding in Vegas. The "bride" wore a mini dress that was ten times too small and stilettos. They got into a fight because the groom didn't understand English enough to tell the officient what his real last name (apparently in Mexico they do names different) was and when he did it turned out to be her ex-boyfriend's last name that she hated. It was quite the circus, I mean evening.

eta: The marriage was annulled quickly.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Btw: I can't wait until "My Gypsy Wedding" on TLC starts----anyone else?

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
WOW that is a tacky wedding dress!

Not really tacky per se, but probably the most expensive wedding I have been to was the worst one. I felt like I was at a carnival instead of a wedding and that is fine if that is your theme, but they just had these really cheesy big ticket entertainment items happening every 20 minutes during the reception. They had women on stilts in full carnival wardrobe (masks, giant feather hats, sparkly bras...right out of 1980s vegas), a 10 piece band with 5 dancers, and then another set of dancers that would come out every 30 minutes to perform to different songs in various costumes. The worst part was that the father said in his speech that his son is a god and the bride is lucky she has an education because otherwise she wouldn't deserve him because there were lots of ladies after him. That, and the fact that the bride and groom were never together and I just really didn't feel any love between them the whole day, just made it a bad wedding.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Yup I've been to two tacky weddings:

-An evening wedding that had 3 sandwich choices for dinner along with potato salad and potato chips. They also ran out of alcohol (Pabst and wine). The names for tables were written on tarot cards, in sharpie marker.

-The other wedding had a moon bounce set up and volleyball nets....everyone changed into regular sneaks and jean shorts after the ceremony, it was just weird.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1308023776|2945321 said:
Ugh. Yes.

I don't know if this is an acceptable thing these days, I don't go to a lot of weddings, but to me, glitter is a no-no.

(as iLander realizes she runs the risk of offending someone on PS, she decides to log off and wait for the glitter to hit the fan)

I'm not offended but crystals are a big part of my wedding!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1308028798|2945365 said:

-An evening wedding that had 3 sandwich choices for dinner along with potato salad and potato chips. They also ran out of alcohol (Pabst and wine). The names for tables were written on tarot cards, in sharpie marker.

-The other wedding had a moon bounce set up and volleyball nets....everyone changed into regular sneaks and jean shorts after the ceremony, it was just weird.

What's wrong with a little Pabst?!

LOL!!!!

I love all of this delicious tackiness! It's not my thread but I'm highly entertained! :appl:

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
heraanderson|1308028004|2945358 said:
Btw: I can't wait until "My Gypsy Wedding" on TLC starts----anyone else?

It's already started! I think the new shows (or new here, I guess) are on Friday or Saturday?

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think tacky is all relative! It also depends on where you live. Here, anything other than your own church's vows (or the Registry Office / Civil ceremony, although I've never been to one like that) followed by a sit-down meal in a hotel and a band or disco with a buffet in the evening is probably frowned on.

I've never been to another type of wedding in the UK, although I believe that people are branching out a little nowadays. ;))

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Upon further thought I'm thinking this thread might rub people the wrong way. I don't mind people being tacky and knowing and embracing it but obviously some people might get offended that their wedding details are being described as tacky. I know that people may want their wedding to be reflection of the the type of people they are (casual versus formal) and just want to have fun.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah.

I felt like I was drowning in diamanté. And pink. Including the dress, which was both.

As a PSer I was faintly nauseated to see so much fake bling.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I don't care about the wedding theme. It is a couple's personal decision and who I am to say if it was tacky or not. But I once went to a wedding (DH's side of the family) in which the bride had a gorgeous gown, the bridesmaids dresses were beautiful, breathtaking flowers, wonderful church ceremony, 4 limos, live band. The catered buffet reception was held at a firehouse which did not bother me, but what struck a nerve was when they ran out of food by the time it came to our table. We were table #12 (8 to a table) and table 15 was the last table. So there were 24 of us who got NO FOOD!!! The father of the bride made a joke saying that there will be cake and coffee and that our tables would be the first to get that. He also jokingly ?? said that this must have been a hungry crowd because from all the weddings he ever attended there was always tons of food leftover so they gave the caterers a lower headcount to save on the cost of food.

IMO, the wedding is all about the bride and groom, but the reception is all about the guests. Many have traveled long and far to come to the event, sometimes spending a great deal of money on transporation, hotels, gift,etc. Make sure you feed them well.

Well, the 24 of us left early and went to various restaurants to have dinner (It was 8pm by then and many of us hadn't eaten since the morning). My DH's relative later called him to tell him how "tacky" it was that we all left so early (before cake) and that some did not gift the bride a "monetary gift"- apparently they were collecting additional funds for the bride and groom after we had left (I never heard of this before). DH told him we gave them a beautiful gift (in our opinion anyway) despite being treated so poorly at the reception.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Running out of food is the biggest faux pas imaginable.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

-sounds like "football" weddings. My boss was telling me that when she was getting married everyone's wedding was casual like this (she lived in OHIO so maybe this was a regional thing back 25-30 years ago??)- they were called "football wedding" and there was sandwiches, chips, etc and it was pretty casual with beer and such. To each his own...

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember said:
Ugh. Yes.

Crystals sound nice. I think crystals are a LONG way from purple glitter.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
heraanderson|1308047890|2945445 said:
Upon further thought I'm thinking this thread might rub people the wrong way. I don't mind people being tacky and knowing and embracing it but obviously some people might get offended that their wedding details are being described as tacky. I know that people may want their wedding to be reflection of the the type of people they are (casual versus formal) and just want to have fun.

::)

It's hard to define tacky an a JenniferW said, it's all relative. For me it would probably be the time when we were given a menu and all but one dish has prices next to it. The chicken dish was free but if we wanted steak or fish, we would be charged. Even then my FI and I had a little chuckle (we were not offended) because the couple was very young (18/19) and no one sat down with them to say "hey guys, it's ok to just offer chicken." :halo:

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
We eloped because of way too many fights about what I was planning for our wedding - I rented the zoo for an entire day. We were going to have it all to ourselves, bbq lunch, go paddle boating and socialize. At weddings and b-day parties the only things I consider tacky are the bad behaviors of others. Everything else is (hopefully!) an expression of the person or couple.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
OH yes! I've been in 2.
#1- fistfight with nearly all the wedding party before we even left the church, cardboard stars, and more booze and hurt feelings than I care to remember.

#2- The guy making the food bailed. Literally. They were going to have deep fried turkey and a couple other things, made on site, and the guy decided he wasn't going. He showed up late, and people started leaving before food was finally ready.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1308052742|2945467 said:

-sounds like "football" weddings. My boss was telling me that when she was getting married everyone's wedding was casual like this (she lived in OHIO so maybe this was a regional thing back 25-30 years ago??)- they were called "football wedding" and there was sandwiches, chips, etc and it was pretty casual with beer and such. To each his own...

Yes....to each his own, haha!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1308053672|2945477 said:
Autumnovember said:
Ugh. Yes.

Crystals sound nice. I think crystals are a LONG way from purple glitter.

Don't worry I'm not offended hahaha nobody can ever change the way I feel about anything that sparkles :)

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock

Wow, if it weren't for the tarot cards and sharpie I would have defended the first couple saying hey, maybe they can't afford better food. However, its sounding like there were probably a lot of tacky elements in there.

The second one sounds like it could be cool! I agree weird, but more fun then some of the snore fests I've been stuck at.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooohdiamonds|1308023348|2945314 said:
She honestly looked/reminded me of Jordan (aka. Katie Price.) Check out the image of Jordan below... yes, this bride even had a similar 'crown' and puffy dress

Well...thanks to this thread I now know who "Jordan", aka "Katie Price" is. I had to look her up since the picture didn't give me a clue as to who she was! (She's a British model, folks, in case any of the rest of you are ignorant, as I was. I don't know why she is described as a, "glamour model"; aren't all models supposed to be good looking? By the way, I would have thought that the term "glamour model" was redundant, but that is how she is repeatedly described on the Internet.) She seems to have a sort of sad story.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

princesss

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1308068637|2945625 said:
ooohdiamonds|1308023348|2945314 said:
She honestly looked/reminded me of Jordan (aka. Katie Price.) Check out the image of Jordan below... yes, this bride even had a similar 'crown' and puffy dress

Well...thanks to this thread I now know who "Jordan", aka "Katie Price" is. I had to look her up since the picture didn't give me a clue as to who she was! (She's a British model, folks, in case any of the rest of you are ignorant, as I was. I don't know why she is described as a, "glamour model"; aren't all models supposed to be good looking? By the way, I would have thought that the term "glamour model" was redundant, but that is how she is repeatedly described on the Internet.) She seems to have a sort of sad story.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

I think "glamour model" implies that she models for men's magazines of the not-so-clothed variety (if I'm remembering my British-isms correctly).

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I skipped out on a friend's wedding this weekend for various reasons, but I saw the pictures and it was TACKY!

This is the friend having the multi-million dollar wedding. Her family doesn't really do understated ever, so I was expecting something interesting...I wasn't expecting what I saw.

First off, the theme was "royal wedding." The bride had a custom made, very rushed, version of Kate Middleton's dress. The only problem is that the bride does not have Kate's trim figure. I'm sure she could have found many flattering dresses, but this dress wasn't one of them. It made her look far larger than she actually is. Her skin was poking out the holes in the lace to the point it looked painful. She changed in to a second dress for the reception, but it wasn't much better. It looked like something you'd see on a Disney princess. Her attendants were dressed in green satin ballgowns with long sleeves and glittered fronts. The staff at the reception had to wear period costumes with white face makeup and powdered wigs. They hired dancers to dress up as "savages" (her word, not mine) to dance between courses in the 12 course "Tudor Style" meal (apparently Tudor Style means whole goose, pig, ox, etc for each table complete with head!). They used only red roses with little jewels glued to them, over 100 dozen.

All in all it looked ridiculous. A very clumsy and over-the-top replica of the royal wedding.

Her sister (the MOH) refused to participate in the theme and wore a gorgeous modern dress. She really stood out as the star of the show. Its sad considering how much work was put in to the bride's special day.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think I've ever been to a tacky wedding, but I have seen pictures on Facebook of weddings where the guests are running around with beer bottles in their hands. I apologize if anyone did this at their own wedding, but there's just something tacky (IMO) about serving beer out of a bottle at a formal wedding reception.

I did attend a wedding for young people that had the registry information on the invitation. I thought that particular aspect was tacky, but the wedding itself was delightful and understated.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
chemgirl|1308069676|2945643 said:
I skipped out on a friend's wedding this weekend for various reasons, but I saw the pictures and it was TACKY!

This is the friend having the multi-million dollar wedding. Her family doesn't really do understated ever, so I was expecting something interesting...I wasn't expecting what I saw.

First off, the theme was "royal wedding." The bride had a custom made, very rushed, version of Kate Middleton's dress. The only problem is that the bride does not have Kate's trim figure. I'm sure she could have found many flattering dresses, but this dress wasn't one of them. It made her look far larger than she actually is. Her skin was poking out the holes in the lace to the point it looked painful. She changed in to a second dress for the reception, but it wasn't much better. It looked like something you'd see on a Disney princess. Her attendants were dressed in green satin ballgowns with long sleeves and glittered fronts. The staff at the reception had to wear period costumes with white face makeup and powdered wigs. They hired dancers to dress up as "savages" (her word, not mine) to dance between courses in the 12 course "Tudor Style" meal (apparently Tudor Style means whole goose, pig, ox, etc for each table complete with head!). They used only red roses with little jewels glued to them, over 100 dozen.

All in all it looked ridiculous. A very clumsy and over-the-top replica of the royal wedding.

Her sister (the MOH) refused to participate in the theme and wore a gorgeous modern dress. She really stood out as the star of the show. Its sad considering how much work was put in to the bride's special day.
This is a wedding I would desperately want to attend.

My mom loves to tell the story of a "winter wonderland" wedding she once attended where all the waiters were dressed as fairies in white leotards (with a lot of manparts to be seen!). The big finale was a coordinated presentation of the Baked Alaska! Best part - 40-something couple...his third marriage, her fourth!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results