shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you been to a tacky wedding ??

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Well, there was the one where I was served bologna sandwiches on white bread, potato chips on the side. Held in the undecorated fellowship hall of a church. I don't remember any cake.

There was the wedding ceremony held on the showroom floor WHERE WE WORKED. Followed by a dingy dark dank VFW hall reception. With glitter on the tables that were covered with paper 'tablecloths'. I think there was a disco ball above the dance floor, too.

The church basement reception with folding chairs, chalky buttermints, and some punch to go with the less than moist cake.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, after reading about Holly's experiences, I have to say it:
worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
HollyS|1308073653|2945717 said:
Well, there was the one where I was served bologna sandwiches on white bread, potato chips on the side. Held in the undecorated fellowship hall of a church. I don't remember any cake.

There was the wedding ceremony held on the showroom floor WHERE WE WORKED. Followed by a dingy dark dank VFW hall reception. With glitter on the tables that were covered with paper 'tablecloths'. I think there was a disco ball above the dance floor, too.

The church basement reception with folding chairs, chalky buttermints, and some punch to go with the less than moist cake.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Is it possible that these were weddings put together on a significantly lower budget than most, rather than tacky, exactly? I mean, it's easy to be elegant when you have enough money (although granted, it's not even close to guaranteed)... ;))

IdLikeToBuyAVal

Shiny_Rock
A girl I went to high school with had a camoflage wedding....Topped off with a camo dress. I didn't attend and I have to say - I'm a little sorry I didn't! I keep wondering where the heck she got that dress!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
chemgirl|1308069676|2945643 said:
I skipped out on a friend's wedding this weekend for various reasons, but I saw the pictures and it was TACKY!

This is the friend having the multi-million dollar wedding. Her family doesn't really do understated ever, so I was expecting something interesting...I wasn't expecting what I saw.

First off, the theme was "royal wedding." The bride had a custom made, very rushed, version of Kate Middleton's dress. The only problem is that the bride does not have Kate's trim figure. I'm sure she could have found many flattering dresses, but this dress wasn't one of them. It made her look far larger than she actually is. Her skin was poking out the holes in the lace to the point it looked painful. She changed in to a second dress for the reception, but it wasn't much better. It looked like something you'd see on a Disney princess. Her attendants were dressed in green satin ballgowns with long sleeves and glittered fronts. The staff at the reception had to wear period costumes with white face makeup and powdered wigs. They hired dancers to dress up as "savages" (her word, not mine) to dance between courses in the 12 course "Tudor Style" meal (apparently Tudor Style means whole goose, pig, ox, etc for each table complete with head!). They used only red roses with little jewels glued to them, over 100 dozen.

All in all it looked ridiculous. A very clumsy and over-the-top replica of the royal wedding.

Her sister (the MOH) refused to participate in the theme and wore a gorgeous modern dress. She really stood out as the star of the show. Its sad considering how much work was put in to the bride's special day.

:-o

I am at a loss for words.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1308052742|2945467 said:
Autumnovember|1308028798|2945365 said:
Yup I've been to two tacky weddings:

-An evening wedding that had 3 sandwich choices for dinner along with potato salad and potato chips. They also ran out of alcohol (Pabst and wine). The names for tables were written on tarot cards, in sharpie marker.

-The other wedding had a moon bounce set up and volleyball nets....everyone changed into regular sneaks and jean shorts after the ceremony, it was just weird.

-sounds like "football" weddings. My boss was telling me that when she was getting married everyone's wedding was casual like this (she lived in OHIO so maybe this was a regional thing back 25-30 years ago??)- they were called "football wedding" and there was sandwiches, chips, etc and it was pretty casual with beer and such. To each his own...
I've lived in Ohio my whole life and have never heard of such a thing. My "football wedding" meant making sure the OSU score was reported during the game and "Hang On Sloopy" had to be played. Oh and of course I needed to make sure Ohio State was away that weekend and playing a crappy team. :cheeky:

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
In high school my friend's lawyer dad left her doctor mother for a stripper he met at a bachelor party in Vegas. I went to the Vegas wedding (huge puffy/glittery white dress with full train included) to provide moral support. Oh my word!

That woman was so tacky! When she moved into her new husband's house she covered the walls with hundreds of photos of herself. The kids didn't get Christmas presents that year because step-mom wanted to upgrade her boobs, butt, and face :rolleyes:

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Kimmy|1308090770|2945992 said:
In high school my friend's lawyer dad left her doctor mother for a stripper he met at a bachelor party in Vegas. I went to the Vegas wedding (huge puffy/glittery white dress with full train included) to provide moral support. Oh my word!

That woman was so tacky! When she moved into her new husband's house she covered the walls with hundreds of photos of herself. The kids didn't get Christmas presents that year because step-mom wanted to upgrade her boobs, butt, and face :rolleyes:

OMG, I had a roommate move in with me that was a stripper....I came home one night and found that she had put HUNDREDS of pictures of herself EVERYWHERE around the place. It was so CREEPY.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1308075796|2945780 said:
HollyS|1308073653|2945717 said:

Is it possible that these were weddings put together on a significantly lower budget than most, rather than tacky, exactly? I mean, it's easy to be elegant when you have enough money (although granted, it's not even close to guaranteed)... ;))

Okay . . . but . . . bologna? Really? Why not go for broke and make some tuna salad? And put it on some Sara Lee wheat instead of Wonder Bread? I'm just sayin'.

Now, the VFW hall put on a good spread. That was some tasty fried chicken and potato salad. Seriously.

The church basement reception with nothing but stale cake and dusty mints was a downscaled event because they invited only a chosen few to a "Fish Fry" at her parent's house later in the afternoon. Most people didn't get that invite.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
DH and I were invited to 2 weddings on the same day and they were lightyears apart different. One was an older couple, 2nd marriage - classic and heartfelt. The other one was a very young couple and that was the tacky one - pizza and chinese food and dinner was held for over an hour and a half so that the bride could cut her hair off. We left to go to the older couples' reception (just a dance) and on the way we ate fast food as we were starving - it was 7:30 and the bride still hadn't shown up to the reception. Don't even get me started on the guests!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
A recent one that I did not attend, because of work, was the wedding of the VFW's offspring.

Her daughter got married at their home (double wide), outside in a tent with a plywood floor (uncovered), in February (cold and drizzly), with "facilities" provided by a lineup of Port-O-Potties. The BMs wore cowboy boots with their knee-length strapless dresses, which were hoochy-mama enough that a friend (who did go) remarked "They looked like the girls from The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas." Centerpieces were fake flowers in clay pots, with candles inside empty long-neck beer bottles.

I kid you not.

But I think the previously mentioned Camo-Wedding may have topped this one. Or maybe it's a toss up. :bigsmile:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Only one.

It was a church wedding where the couple felt obligated to invite everyone in the church. But the couldn't afford the headcount for everyone attending. There were 3 levels of guests.

A list - got to attend the reception at the country club inside the actual reception hall.
B list - got to sit at tables in the hallway outside the reception hall
C list (where I was) - had to drive 20 minutes to a reception without any of the wedding party at a Chinese restaurant (Lucky Chinese in Garden Grove for those of you know the area).

I could have handled that just fine. But when we got up to leave, we were accosted by several of the restaurant management for what they thought was dining and ditching. Apparently the bride and groom forgot to put down a credit card to pay for the C-listers.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1308093389|2946031 said:
Only one.

It was a church wedding where the couple felt obligated to invite everyone in the church. But the couldn't afford the headcount for everyone attending. There were 3 levels of guests.

A list - got to attend the reception at the country club inside the actual reception hall.
C list (where I was) - had to drive 20 minutes to a reception without any of the wedding party at a Chinese restaurant (Lucky Chinese in Garden Grove for those of you know the area).

I could have handled that just fine. But when we got up to leave, we were accosted by several of the restaurant management for what they thought was dining and ditching. Apparently the bride and groom forgot to put down a credit card to pay for the C-listers.

Yes, folks, we have a winner!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
HollyS|1308093566|2946034 said:
Only one.

Yes, folks, we have a winner!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha! Adding to this, I contributed to the tacky feel because I brought jeans to change into since I knew that it would be a casual reception for us. However, the zipper broke at some point at the restaurant. So I sat through the entire reception apparently with my fly wide open, unbeknowst to me. :rolleyes:

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
The worst was a co-worker of my husband. Her daughter was getting married, and when I asked my husband (boyfriend at the time) to inquire about a registry so I could get a gift, his co-worker called me to tell that I should give cash as a gift, not a present. She told me it was the "Italian way"...which is ironic, because I'm Italian...and I've never heard of such a thing. I had never met her before, never spoken to her, didn't know her from anyone. I was so offended and put off, but I ended up giving money.

It's certainly not as bad as some of these horror stories.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Only one.

This one takes the cake! Haha

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Italiahaircolor|1308095290|2946054 said:
The worst was a co-worker of my husband. Her daughter was getting married, and when I asked my husband (boyfriend at the time) to inquire about a registry so I could get a gift, his co-worker called me to tell that I should give cash as a gift, not a present. She told me it was the "Italian way"...which is ironic, because I'm Italian...and I've never heard of such a thing. I had never met her before, never spoken to her, didn't know her from anyone. I was so offended and put off, but I ended up giving money.

Hmmm, this doesn't seem that odd to me. For the weddings I have been to we always use the bridal registry for the bridal shower and then give money at the actual wedding. I have never been to a wedding that isnt like that. I didnt realise that it is done any other way.

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Trashy more than tacky and a funeral rather than a wedding, but these stories reminded of something. One of my very close friends died at 18. His funeral was the trashiest thing I have ever been to. It was like a Jerry Springer episode. His sister showed up in the hoochiest red dress (short, strapless, and somewhat sheer). The minister left mid-eulogy because he had another event to be at. An ex-gf got up to speak and started screaming at another girl there because, "I hated ____ for a long time because he cheated on me with that ***** over there, but I'm sad he's dead because he was the best **** I've ever had." More obscenities and inappropriate speeches followed. I was so sad over the loss of one of the nicest guys in the world, but the funeral was shocking and disrespectful. Terrible and almost humorous in a dark and twisty way. I'm sure he was laughing from heaven.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I skipped out on a friend's wedding this weekend for various reasons, but I saw the pictures and it was TACKY!

This is the friend having the multi-million dollar wedding. Her family doesn't really do understated ever, so I was expecting something interesting...I wasn't expecting what I saw.

First off, the theme was "royal wedding." The bride had a custom made, very rushed, version of Kate Middleton's dress. The only problem is that the bride does not have Kate's trim figure. I'm sure she could have found many flattering dresses, but this dress wasn't one of them. It made her look far larger than she actually is. Her skin was poking out the holes in the lace to the point it looked painful. She changed in to a second dress for the reception, but it wasn't much better. It looked like something you'd see on a Disney princess. Her attendants were dressed in green satin ballgowns with long sleeves and glittered fronts. The staff at the reception had to wear period costumes with white face makeup and powdered wigs. They hired dancers to dress up as "savages" (her word, not mine) to dance between courses in the 12 course "Tudor Style" meal (apparently Tudor Style means whole goose, pig, ox, etc for each table complete with head!). They used only red roses with little jewels glued to them, over 100 dozen.

All in all it looked ridiculous. A very clumsy and over-the-top replica of the royal wedding.

Her sister (the MOH) refused to participate in the theme and wore a gorgeous modern dress. She really stood out as the star of the show. Its sad considering how much work was put in to the bride's special day.

Copies of Wills and Kate's wedding are tacky but I did go to a really cool medieval themed wedding. It fit the couple though - they are really into the Renaissance Faires and most of their friends are the same. All their costumes were self-made authentic recreations of 14th century dress down to the shoes. The groom was a metalsmith and had crafted authentic medieval swords for himself and the male attendants.

They had the authentic medieval instruments for music and a medieval feast. It was really cool - literally like visiting the set of Camelot.

Tacky for any other couple but for this couple and their friends, it fit to a tee. They really get into this and since everybody made everything themselves, it was rather inexpensive.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock

:confused:

You've never heard of the Busta? My italian roomie was astonished to discover people gave gifts that were NOT cash at weddings, because that's just how it's done! :lol:

A quick google search confirms I'm not/she wasn't crazy, you had me worried! She was first generation Canadian-Italian, so maybe it's an old world thing?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Galateia|1308097395|2946086 said:

:confused:

You've never heard of the Busta? My italian roomie was astonished to discover people gave gifts that were NOT cash at weddings, because that's just how it's done! :lol:

A quick google search confirms I'm not/she wasn't crazy, you had me worried! She was first generation Canadian-Italian, so maybe it's an old world thing?

Where I'm from, nationality be damned, it's rude to ask or demand gifts of a particular nature. I wasn't offended so much by giving money in leu of a gift, made no difference to me, but I was offended by the phone call to "school" me.

I don't claim to be a traditional, old school Italian. So, do I know the ins and outs? No. But would I call a practical stranger to inform them of how things were done even if I was? Heck no.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
AmeliaG|1308097359|2946085 said:

Copies of Wills and Kate's wedding are tacky but I did go to a really cool medieval themed wedding. It fit the couple though - they are really into the Renaissance Faires and most of their friends are the same. All their costumes were self-made authentic recreations of 14th century dress down to the shoes. The groom was a metalsmith and had crafted authentic medieval swords for himself and the male attendants.

They had the authentic medieval instruments for music and a medieval feast. It was really cool - literally like visiting the set of Camelot.

Tacky for any other couple but for this couple and their friends, it fit to a tee. They really get into this and since everybody made everything themselves, it was rather inexpensive.

I would love to go to a medieval wedding, this one sounds charming!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
lbbaber|1308096455|2946070 said:

Hmmm, this doesn't seem that odd to me. For the weddings I have been to we always use the bridal registry for the bridal shower and then give money at the actual wedding. I have never been to a wedding that isnt like that. I didnt realise that it is done any other way.

If I give a gift for a wedding, it's usually a higher end present- something I wouldn't buy for a shower. At my wedding, I received presents. Actually I walked away with a full service of crystal and I'm really grateful for that. I never personally felt like money was more appropriate. When you give a gift at a wedding, money or otherwise, you're helping to set a couple up for their lives together. I personally think giving a really indulgent present that they'd never buy for themselves is just as thoughtful.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Italiahaircolor|1308098808|2946106 said:
lbbaber|1308096455|2946070 said:

If I give a gift for a wedding, it's usually a higher end present- something I wouldn't buy for a shower. At my wedding, I received presents. Actually I walked away with a full service of crystal and I'm really grateful for that. I never personally felt like money was more appropriate. When you give a gift at a wedding, money or otherwise, you're helping to set a couple up for their lives together. I personally think giving a really indulgent present that they'd never buy for themselves is just as thoughtful.

Its always interesting to hear how other people do things. I received my crystal too but I got it at my shower. The rule of thumb I have always used for wedding present giving was to give enough to cover you and your date's plate and then add atleast another hundred per person (or more if its family). We usually give between $500-$1000 and then a shower gift (if I am invited to the shower). And the showers that I have been to, the brides have no problem putting higher end presents on the registry-and they get them. It certainly can add up!

Also, I am not Italian. It's just how its done where I live (atleast in my area). I dont think I have ever seen anyone bring anything other than a card to the wedding. And then the couple walks around collecting the cards in a basket (or something creative) during the reception.

It shows how ignorant I am when it comes to weddings bc I honestly thought that everyone did it this way :lol:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
it's funny, lbbaber - at our wedding everyone he knew from his hometown (with one exception - his best man's parents bought us crystal) brought cash/checks to the wedding. Not a single guest from my side brought cash...all tangible gifts shipped directly to my house. Mostly from the registry, with limited exceptions.

Definitely nowhere near $500 - $1000 though!!! The average gift per couple (whether cash or goods) was right around $150.

Wow, I'm totally off-topic here...

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Geez Ibbabber--I should have invited you to my wedding! An aside--my DH has a cousin that is a very famous MLB pitcher who I will not name here. He happened to come to our wedding bc his team was playing the Houston Astros in town the night of our wedding. Otherwise, there's no way he would have been able to make it smack in the middle of their season. My DH and he are very close and the greed in me was excited to see what he would get us. He didn't get us anything. Nothing at all! I think maybe he forgot? I don't bring it up to my DH bc I'm sure he's upset about it. Lesson learned though...don't be greedy!

I won't mention weddings that are tacky, bc like many have said here, it's not my place to comment on someone's day. What IS tacky is when the wedding couple do not write thank you notes.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
WOW ibabber, you are certainly welcome at my wedding!

I think $200-300 is typical at most weddings I've been to.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lanie|1308102463|2946170 said:
Geez Ibbabber--I should have invited you to my wedding! An aside--my DH has a cousin that is a very famous MLB pitcher who I will not name here. He happened to come to our wedding bc his team was playing the Houston Astros in town the night of our wedding. Otherwise, there's no way he would have been able to make it smack in the middle of their season. My DH and he are very close and the greed in me was excited to see what he would get us. He didn't get us anything. Nothing at all! I think maybe he forgot? I don't bring it up to my DH bc I'm sure he's upset about it. Lesson learned though...don't be greedy!

I won't mention weddings that are tacky, bc like many have said here, it's not my place to comment on someone's day. What IS tacky is when the wedding couple do not write thank you notes.

Ditto! I was just wondering the other day where the thank you note was for a wedding gift we gave a few months ago. They sure managed to cash the check right away!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1308102994|2946182 said:

Ditto! I was just wondering the other day where the thank you note was for a wedding gift we gave a few months ago. They sure managed to cash the check right away!
Or worse--when they send out pre-printed thank you notes. I'd rather have them send nothing at all, to be honest. I think the pre-printed notes are the TACKIEST. We have received TWO pre-printed thank you notes from weddings.

As for the cash vs. gift discussion--Lbbaber--You probably haven't seen people bring gifts to the wedding because people who give actual gifts for the wedding normally send them to the bride's home before or right after the wedding. It's not nice to bring them to the venue because then the couple has to figure out how to haul them home after the reception.

Tgal--That ABC guest wedding story is INSANE! These stories make my complaint about beer bottles at weddings sound just plain petty! (Though I stand by my assertion--beer bottles at a wedding reception = tacky. :cheeky: )

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1308103995|2946195 said:
thing2of2|1308102994|2946182 said:

Or worse--when they send out pre-printed thank you notes. I'd rather have them send nothing at all, to be honest. I think the pre-printed notes are the TACKIEST. We have received TWO pre-printed thank you notes from weddings.

As for the cash vs. gift discussion--Lbbaber--You probably haven't seen people bring gifts to the wedding because people who give actual gifts for the wedding normally send them to the bride's home before or right after the wedding. It's not nice to bring them to the venue because then the couple has to figure out how to haul them home after the reception.

Tgal--That ABC guest wedding story is INSANE! These stories make my complaint about beer bottles at weddings sound just plain petty! (Though I stand by my assertion--beer bottles at a wedding reception = tacky. :cheeky: )

Haven I must disagree about the beer bottles...in some situations I find it surprisingly appropriate! What about a wedding reception outside on picnic tables where barbecue is served?

although I agree in other situations...not appropriate.

As far as 'tacky' weddings...someone's 'classy' is someone's 'tacky'. but I cannot stand the dresses that could double as lingerie.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results